PDA

View Full Version : Barbarians-The Anglo Saxons

Weedman
01-20-2014, 01:56 PM
http://youtu.be/w1acBKYsKs8

Celxon
01-21-2014, 06:13 AM
There are a series of clips about barbarians. You might enjoy a book, about the subject, that contains sections about each group. It's called "How The Barbarian Invasions Shaped The Modern World". It mentions all or most of the Germanic tribes.

Weedman
01-21-2014, 06:15 AM
thanks, Ill check it out. Ive read alot of various books about it but never heard of that one before, thanks

and actually one reason I like this clip is because it also sort of shows the Romano-Britons and parts of their culture at the time of the Germanic invasions, which is somewhat harder to find out more about in great detail than the Germanic tribes of this period.

Teyrn
01-21-2014, 06:25 AM
Hail Alfred of Wessex o/

DeaththeKid
01-21-2014, 06:28 AM
The last true king of England was Harold Godwinson

Teyrn
01-21-2014, 06:30 AM
The last true king of England was Harold Godwinson

Yes, the last ruler of the House of Wessex (Cerdic) before the Norman Usurper came a-calling. The kin of Alfred were related, by marriage, to the Carolingians. o/

Hail Charles the Great, hail King Alfred o/

Celxon
01-21-2014, 06:52 AM
thanks, Ill check it out. Ive read alot of various books about it but never heard of that one before, thanks

and actually one reason I like this clip is because it also sort of shows the Romano-Britons and parts of their culture at the time of the Germanic invasions, which is somewhat harder to find out more about in great detail than the Germanic tribes of this period.

I always was fascinated with that era. You're right; information about it is scant and scarce. I'm also interested in Irish life during that time. Some people claim that some Romans ventured into Hibernia.

Weedman
01-21-2014, 03:50 PM
I always was fascinated with that era. You're right; information about it is scant and scarce. I'm also interested in Irish life during that time. Some people claim that some Romans ventured into Hibernia.

it's safe to say they most definitely knew about it, and studied it, and also the Irish sea raiders whom the Romans called "Scotti"

Celxon
01-22-2014, 12:34 AM
it's safe to say they most definitely knew about it, and studied it, and also the Irish sea raiders whom the Romans called "Scotti"

That's true. Did they make any appreciable contact with the country or its people? They obviously didn't have any major military campaigns there. The narrative seems to indicate that they gave a wide berth to Ireland.

Weedman
01-22-2014, 12:48 AM
I think the Romans went to Ireland very very briefly but then left and felt it was not worth trying to colonize or anything.

Its not that they didnt go at all but like you said the had no military campaigns there and as far as I know there have never been any Roman artifacts from that period found in Ireland unless maybe it was from plunder and raiding the coasts of Brittania (?)
they pretty much left it alone, basically. But I have never red or heard any real explanation as to why? They colonized Britain, and tried to colonize Alba (Scotland) so I dont know what exactly stopped them from doing the same to Ireland, really? I just heard they may have felt the land was not worth it but I dont really know if thats the only real reason or not.

Its strange. The Romans usually couldnt wait to try to explore and conquer and "civilize" a new land, especially one full of Barbarians, so it's actually odd, IMO they never had much interest in Ireland like they did the rest of the Isles.

Even when then first landed in Brittania they were beaten back but it never stopped them form re-trying and even though they never could conquer most of Scotland they did try over and over for a hell of a long time before they just said fuck it and built 2 walls.
So even if they are defeated once or twice it doesnt usually stop the Romans for good unless they were severely beaten but there is no record of any major conflict or battle between the Romans and the Irish so its not that either.

Maybe they did just assume the land was useless or something?

Germanic King
08-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Proud to speak the English language.