PDA

View Full Version : Pork and Sauerkraut Soup

Frigga
11-27-2009, 11:00 PM
For PlaeghDraegher since he asked me. :)

I make this with homemade wild pig stock which makes it extra wholesome and tasty, but you can used canned broth if you like. It does taste the best though with real broth you make from meaty bones.

Pork and Sauerkraut Soup

12-24 ounces of pork cut into bite sized pieces
2-6 ounces of bacon diced (optional- extra bacon fat if you have a lot of meat to brown)
1 large onion chopped fine
2-3 cloves of garlic crushed (but I always forget to add the garlic! :embarrassed)
1 16 ounce jar of sauerkraut, or 2 if you like
1 bottle of light lager beer, nothing too dark or heavy (stout is a big nono!)
1 12 ounce can of broth, whatever you like, or an equivilant amount of homemade broth
1 large potato peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
6-9 juniper berries if the meat is wild and gamey, otherwise omit
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
sour cream

Take a heavy, large soup pot and fry the bacon in it until it is crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and leave the fat in. Add more bacon fat to the pan if you think that there is not enough. Add the onion and meat and brown nicely over medium high heat. Add the rest of the ingredients except the sour cream and reserved bacon. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook a minimum of two hours. If you're using wild game meat, cook at least four to tenderize it. Serve with a generous dollop of sour cream and the reserved bacon crumpled over the top and a tasty, crusty rye bread.