PDA

View Full Version : Pilots admit they don't turn off their phones while flying

1stLightHorse
01-26-2014, 05:05 AM
The argument has been going on for years: how can my $99 eBook reader take out this $90 million aircraft?

Then again... what if it does?

The United States Federal Aviation Administration is currently re-considering the rules around using electronic devices on aeroplanes.

Two pilots who called 702 ABC Sydney Mornings say they generally don't bother turning off their phones when flying, they just avoid taking calls.

Alan, a pilot of seven years, told Julia Baird that in his opinion, whether the phone interferes with navigation or not is irrelevant.

"All those electronic devices take your attention away from important announcements or things that are going on around you," he said.
"The most dangerous time of any flight is take-off and landing. That's when I want passengers to have my full attention, because if something goes wrong or we need to get out in a hurry, I don't want them to have earplugs in," he added.

He admitted, however, that he occasionally forgets to turn off his devices when taking them into the cockpit.

"Sometimes I turn it off, sometimes I forget to," he said.

"If it was to ring, then obviously I'm not going to answer," he added.

Steve, another pilot, is more committed to keeping his phone on.

"What a lot of rubbish! It makes no difference whatsoever! I have never turned my phone off!" he told Julia Baird.

"Most pilots don't turn it off,

"The department of aviation says we shouldn't, and that's well and good, but maybe we shouldn't serve coffee either,

"Maybe someone might get scalded, or someone might trip over and create a domino effect," Steve added.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/09/24/3855440.htm

Óttar
01-26-2014, 05:06 AM
I always expected such. :rolleyes:

rhiannon
01-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Ummm...no.

Most pilots don't disregard this rule. My husband is an airline pilot and he speaks for most pilots in saying they take air safety regulations VERY seriously! At least in the United States they do.....cannot speak for foreign airlines.

The Illyrian Warrior
01-26-2014, 09:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAq-7sOzXQ