PDA

View Full Version : What Ethnic Group do you relate the most with?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Stefan
11-30-2009, 12:13 AM
There are two parts I would like to see from this discussion.

1. What do you relate the most with ethnically? European? "White"? a National Ethnicity?a Sub-National Ethnic group? A macro-group like Celtic, Germanic, or Romance? Please be as specific as possible.

2. If you are American, or you have more than one ancestral group, do you play favoritism between them? Why? For example, if you are German and English - do you feel more "German-American" than "English-American"? Or let's say your country used to be Celtic, but it was romanticize. Do you feel more romantic or celtic? Just two of the many examples this could lead to.

My answers

1. I find myself to be a mixture of some colonial Europeans, though predominately newer immigrants(I.E My Grandmother). I can claim myself to have 4 different Macro-Groups in my ancestry, as well as only being "culturally" new-American. So I really can only feel agglomerated European or "American" in the sense that I have a scattered ancestry. Having said that, I do not feel "American" at the same time, because with the exception of my German ancestry, my ancestors haven't been here long enough to be considered "old stock" and therefore you can't really relate enough to the country's origin. So I think "agglomerated European new worlder" is a good description. Also, if you haven't learned this already, I denounce the use of "white". :P

2. As for relating more to one ancestry group than another, I feel closer to my German-American or Pennsylvania German ancestry because that is what I've been exposed to the most.

Having said that, I'm not too interested in it much right now because of this heavy association. I'm starting to feel more "Spanish" and "French" because they are recent components of my ancestry, even to the point where my father and other close relatives can speak the language of the previous, although hesitantly and not what I would call "fluently". I've also found myself to have to defend my Spanish ancestry as European the most, here in the United States, which kind of brings me closer to it. It is also the one that people ascribe to me mostly because I guess I look predominately, to American eyes, as Spanish or more generally "Hispanic/Latino".

Of course I can relate to my English ancestry a lot as well, despite how minute it might be, due to myself being American - and without a doubt America starting out as an extension of England, irregardless of the ancestry of Americans today. Not only that, it is my native language. So while I'm more naturally attached to my English and German ancestries, I'm the least interested in them, because of the familiarity they bring.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and I know this discussion is somewhat focused more on "New Worlders", but please don't be discouraged to post if you are European.

Electronic God-Man
11-30-2009, 12:31 AM
1. What do you relate the most with ethnically? European? "White"? a National Ethnicity?a Sub-National Ethnic group? A macro-group like Celtic, Germanic, or Romance? Please be as specific as possible.

2. If you are American, or you have more than one ancestral group, do you play favoritism between them? Why? For example, if you are German and English - do you feel more "German-American" than "English-American"? Or let's say your country used to be Celtic, but it was romanticize. Do you feel more romantic or celtic? Just two of the many examples this could lead to.

OK. I suppose primarily Anglo-American. About 70% of my ancestors were British (including the Irish).

Secondarily, Pennsylvania German. I'm only about 18% German, but as you can imagine my mother was nearly 40% and the maternal side of my family largely considers themselves Pennsylvania Dutch. Having grown up in Pennsylvania and being closer to my mom's side of the family than my dad's it may account for more than just the percentage would suggest.

The other bit is 1/8 Lithuanian. No way do I feel Lithuanian. I never met my great-grandmother...I've never even heard a native Lithuanian speak their language in real life. Although the exclamation "Jesu!" (pronounced yay-zoo - Jesus!) was sometimes said by my grandmother.

I don't really play favoritism, other than that neither I nor the rest of the family consider ourselves Lithuanian. I just consider myself Old Stock American since both my British ancestors and my German ancestors have been here since colonial times...with some exceptions of course, but they blended into the greater scheme of things rather well.

Being English and German is quite common in Pennsylvania, so maybe I'm Old Stock Pennsylvanian really. ;)

Comte Arnau
11-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Totally or strongly related to:

Catalans and Aragonese

Very related to:

Other ethnic groups from Iberia and France:
Spanish, Basques, French, Galicians & Portuguese, Gascons & Occitans...

Quite related to:

Other Romance ethnic groups from Europe and the Americas

Partially related to:

Other European ethnic groups, particularly Western ones

Somewhat related to:

Other ethnic groups from the Mediterranean

Kadu
11-30-2009, 05:16 AM
I'll use Ibex system, which is also perfect for me.:)

Portuguese

Very related to:

Brazilians & Galicians and Spaniards(Castillians, Basques, Catalans, etc...)

Quite related to:

Other Central/South Americans(particulary the Southern ones)

Partially related to:

French and Italians

Somewhat related to:

other ethnic groups from the Mediterranean

Comte Arnau
11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Very related to:

Brazilians & Galicians and Spaniards(Castillians, Basques, Catalans, etc...)

^ I understand that:

1. Galicians are not Spaniards. (Falkata will love it. :p)

2. You only feel very related to Catalans and Basques in Spain, but not to those in France and Andorra. :(

Psychonaut
11-30-2009, 11:17 PM
1. What do you relate the most with ethnically?

My fellow Old Stock Americans and Canadians, no doubt. I've been to Europe. I've worked and conversed extensively with Europeans and the only one's I've found myself able to relate to with an approximation of the ease with which I do North Americans are the English. I've not met enough Aussies and Kiwis to judge, but I have a feeling that they'd be on par with the English in that respect. Also, although I'm a North American of French extraction, I don't find that I get on particularly well with people from France. There's a tremendous gulf between us.

Cail
11-30-2009, 11:32 PM
"Litwiny" (singular "Litwin"). That used to be a common name for the people of Grand Duchy of Lithuania, now Lithuanians and Belorussians, some also became Polish. I also feel related to other Balts and Slavs.

I feel kinda related to Holsteinians, i am only 1/8, but my great-grandfather is still alive, and i do speak some Holsteinisch.

Gooding
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
1: Primarily, Anglophone Old Stock Americans and Canadians
2: The British, largely the Scottish and English, come up secondarily simply because my blood quantum is largely descended from the Scots and English, in that order.
3: French Creoles come up a close second to the British. I am 1/8 French Creole myself, but we have retained the Catholicism and I'm trying to brush up on the language.
4:The Occitans, because my French ancestors largely came from this area of France.
5: Germans, Austrians and Swiss are found sprinkled within my other ancestries' family lines, so to a degree, I partly identify with them.

Amarantine
12-01-2009, 07:05 AM
all categories are one ethnicity in my case...no relations with the others...

The Lawspeaker
12-01-2009, 07:16 AM

Dutch and Flemish
Very related to:

Afrikaners, Frisians, Saxon Dutch
Quite related to:

Germans, English (and other Germanic peoples)Partially related to:

Overseas Germanic Europeans (Americans, New Zealanders, Canadians, Australians)
People with Dutch admixture from the former Dutch colonies

Somewhat related to:

Other (non-Germanic) European peoples.

Amarantine
12-01-2009, 07:21 AM
@Asega, how you mean this last one...it is about your ancestry lineage not about your personal feelings...

The Lawspeaker
12-01-2009, 07:24 AM
@Asega, how you mean this last one...it is about your ancestry lineage not about your personal feelings...

Ooh I meant "relate" as in cultural kinship.

Dutch (Holland, Brabant, Guelders)
Very related to:

Flemish (family arrived in the Northern Netherlands during the late Middle Ages)
Quite related to:

-
Partially related to:

Huguenot French (arrived in the 17th-18th century), French (during the Revolution), Frisians
Somewhat related to:

Polish ( 20th century-according to what my late mother and my aunt once told me)

Amarantine
12-01-2009, 07:31 AM
This is not about Ode To Joy by Ludwig van Beethoven :)

Monolith
12-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Croats.

Very related to:
Slovenes, Bosnians.

Quite related to:
Balkanic Slavs, other Slavic ethnic groups.

Partially related to:
Other central European ethnic groups, such as Austrians and Magyars.

Somewhat related to:
Other Europeans, mostly central and Mediterranean ones.

Heimmacht
12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
the Dutch (Dad's side of the family is fully Dutch).

Very related to:
the Austrians.

Quite related to:
the Germans.

Partially related to:
the Czechs (Family in Austria lived near the border).

Somewhat related to:
Perhaps a little flemish/french.

Loki
12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
This is not about Ode To Joy by Ludwig van Beethoven :)

I don't think you understand the purpose of this thread. There was nothing wrong with Asega's post. And "relate with" has a lot to do with personal feelings.

Kadu
12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
1. Galicians are not Spaniards. (Falkata will love it. :p)

He will love this even more:D

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/Kadu_album/291455811_78d710cb57_o.jpg

2. You only feel very related to Catalans and Basques in Spain, but not to those in France and Andorra. :(

I haven't interacted with Gascons or Northern Catalans recently so i don't know.

Liffrea
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
English.

I have Scottish relations (never met them) and some Irish blood, I relate to that to the extent that we are all “British” geographically but I don’t feel any ancestral pull to either country, I’m an East Mercian Englishman through and through as far as I am concerned.

I hold Anglo/British-Americans, Anglo-Canadians, Anglo-South Africans, Australians and New Zealanders as part of the “Anglosphere”, I generally have little difficulty relating to any of the people I have met of those nations.

That’s it.

Comte Arnau
12-01-2009, 11:46 PM
He will love this even more:D

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/Kadu_album/291455811_78d710cb57_o.jpg

LOL. What I don't get completely is that flag, though.

I haven't interacted with Gascons or Northern Catalans recently so i don't know.

I see, but haven't you interacted with Andorran smurfs? ;):D

December
12-02-2009, 01:37 AM
LOL. What I don't get completely is that flag, though.
It is a constructed anachronic flag. It's mainly used by a small bunch which wants to reconstruct a mythical Greater Galicia, based on what was a brief foreign Suebi dominion in the Peninsula.

For that constructed flag, they used some "apocryphal" vague elements they found out in the 20's about a legend written in a document from 1669. Go figure.

In Galicia they find support in a pseudo-intelectual elite. In Portugal they find support in some riff-raff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPOvfWK12U) who was flamed in the Football Wars during the 80's and 90's and in some mercantilist elite from the city of Porto who wants more financial power, like the entrepeneurs from CIP among other capitalist savages who see nations and states as enterprises.

The way they dispose the elements of the flag was constructed based on some fairytale legend of a Suebi battle as south as Coimbra. It involves a magic princess of course.

Funny is that to give more credibility to their flag, they usurped the disposition of Coimbra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coimbra)'s coat-of-arms,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Pt-cbr1.png
which is a Portuguese property, and they even claim the city into their idiot expansionist map in a region with the name of "Mondego", a river which is supposedly the border who separates them from the darkside. :D

They are retarded to the point of not knowing that the region they call "Mondego" is called Beira from timeless ages, and to the point of not knowing how Coimbra is a bastion of Portuguese culture, far before it's independence in 1139, back to times of Conii (the founders of Conimbriga, today's Coimbra).

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2610/29145581178d710cb57o.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/29145581178d710cb57o.jpg/)

^ They can claim even England, they are seen as retards from Left to Right, from top to bottom. Like many loonies they live in a world of their own, dettached from reality, spreading their "message" throughout a website which is a hall of misfits and rejects (some I've personally known), the Forum Gallaecia.

They claim themselves of being of pure Celtic extraction while those southwards are called "moors", which is as real as a Pan-Aryan alliance from Lisbon to Delhi, from the Scandinavia to the Aryans of Sahara (LMAO, you must see the Berber Aryan site). You may visit their equivalent "pure Lusitanian" counterparts south here: http://ptl.home.sapo.pt/history.html :D

They even invented a new lexicon for a new Galician language which will be taught to people who have "Nortenho" accent. Yes, it's that ridiculous, something like reinventing a new Proto-English language based in the accent from Newcastle or Portsmouth, stressing the idiolects from the locals and making it a language. Yes, it's even more ridiculous than squeezing the Cockney accent and make it a language.

Their future? wasting internet bandwidth and being mocked. Even in what they call "Gallaecia Sul" or "Gallaecia Bracarense" (where the Cultura Castreja was predominant thousands of years ago, due to geographical determinism) they are mocked. Albeit detesting this bunch even more than we do, some people in Spain interested in the end of Portugal, give them tacit support, wet-dreaming that in this way, Portugal can be fractured and absorbed in a federal Greater Spain. It's internet wanking, but what can we do? Sure. If even Tsim Fuckus can youtube his own Eminem cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eSqT6Mlhx4), why can't this people have their own RPG?

The outcome? Sabotaging sane approaches to Nationalism here and there. Very very rarely, fortunately. They are in the same bag as the Indian nazis. The sad fortune is that you can only really laugh to tears at them if you understand Portuguese or Galician. Like I have done with people from the regions they claim here. One of these days I'll go to their claimed cities and make a vast public poll for the sake of jesting.

Biba! O Puorto é uma naçoum, carago! :D

Jägerstaffel
12-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Metallers, alcoholics, and misanthropes don't count as an ethnic group, do they?

Comte Arnau
12-02-2009, 01:56 AM
It is a constructed anachronic flag. It's mainly used by a small bunch which wants to reconstruct a mythical Greater Galicia, based on what was a brief foreign Suebi dominion in the Peninsula.

For that constructed flag, they used some "apocryphal" vague elements they found out in the 20's about a legend written in a document from 1669. Go figure.

In Galicia they find support in a pseudo-intelectual elite. In Portugal they find support in some riff-raff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPOvfWK12U) who was flamed in the Football Wars during the 80's and 90's and in some mercantilist elite from the city of Porto who wants more financial power, like the entrepeneurs from CIP among other capitalist savages who see nations and states as enterprises.

The way they dispose the elements of the flag was constructed based on some fairytale legend of a Suebi battle as south as Coimbra. It involves a magic princess of course.

Funny is that to give more credibility to their flag, they usurped the disposition of Coimbra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coimbra)'s coat-of-arms,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Pt-cbr1.png
which is a Portuguese property, and they even claim the city into their idiot expansionist map in a region with the name of "Mondego", a river which is supposedly the border who separates them from the darkside. :D

They are retarded to the point of not knowing that the region they call "Mondego" is called Beira from timeless ages, and to the point of not knowing how Coimbra is a bastion of Portuguese culture, far before it's independence in 1139, back to times of Conii (the founders of Conimbriga, today's Coimbra).

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2610/29145581178d710cb57o.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/29145581178d710cb57o.jpg/)

^ They can claim even England, they are seen as retards from Left to Right, from top to bottom. Like many loonies they live in a world of their own, dettached from reality, spreading their "message" throughout a website which is a hall of misfits and rejects (some I've personally known), the Forum Gallaecia.

They claim themselves of being of pure Celtic extraction while those southwards are called "moors", which is as real as a Pan-Aryan alliance from Lisbon to Delhi, from the Scandinavia to the Aryans of Sahara (LMAO, you must see the Berber Aryan site). You may visit their equivalent "pure Lusitanian" counterparts south here: http://ptl.home.sapo.pt/history.html :D

They even invented a new lexicon for a new Galician language which will be taught to people who have "Nortenho" accent. Yes, it's that ridiculous, something like reinventing a new Proto-English language based in the accent from Newcastle or Portsmouth, stressing the idiolects from the locals and making it a language. Yes, it's even more ridiculous than squeezing the Cockney accent and make it a language.

Their future? wasting internet bandwidth and being mocked. Even in what they call "Gallaecia Sul" or "Gallaecia Bracarense" (where the Cultura Castreja was predominant thousands of years ago, due to geographical determinism) they are mocked. Albeit detesting this bunch even more than we do, some people in Spain interested in the end of Portugal, give them tacit support, wet-dreaming that in this way, Portugal can be fractured and absorbed in a federal Greater Spain. It's internet wanking, but what can we do? Sure. If even Tsim Fuckus can youtube his own Eminem cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eSqT6Mlhx4), why can't this people have their own RPG?

The outcome? Sabotaging sane approaches to Nationalism here and there. Very very rarely, fortunately. They are in the same bag as the Indian nazis. The sad fortune is that you can only really laugh to tears at them if you understand Portuguese or Galician. Like I have done with people from the regions they claim here. One of these days I'll go to their claimed cities and make a vast public poll for the sake of jesting.

Biba! O Puorto é uma naçoum, carago! :D

Thanks, very informative.

I had heard something about it, but I wasn't aware of 90% of it all!

Amarantine
12-02-2009, 06:40 AM
I don't think you understand the purpose of this thread. There was nothing wrong with Asega's post. And "relate with" has a lot to do with personal feelings.

In that case I am wrong:coffee:

Btw you don't need to "protect" Asega from me, we understand each other quite good.

Freomæg
12-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Hmmm, I think if I'm honest I'd say I relate predominantly with 'Germania'. My mother is Dutch, my Aunty German and my cousins English/German (I guess my Dad and his brother preferred continental ladies :rolleyes:) so I've had a lot of exposure to - other than England - Holland and Germany as Germanic nations and cultures. I've always felt quite at home in Germany, more so than Holland strangely - perhaps it's the landscape. But I've always just felt very at home in England. I also acknowledge the Celtic element in England - unlike some, and I don't think any Englishman should deny the small Celtic cultural and genetic influence they're subject to.

I consider myself English but I'd feel comfortable relocating to any of the Germanic nations, and to a lesser extent the Celtic ones.

I'm not American but I can answer this, having dual ancestry. I absolutely feel English rather than Dutch. I enjoy Holland and the Dutch people, and I value my Dutch family greatly, but the culture only feels like 'mine' in the sense that it's Germanic and therefore strongly related to English culture.

It is also the one that people ascribe to me mostly because I guess I look predominately, to American eyes, as Spanish or more generally "Hispanic/Latino".
I can understand why you'd feel this way Stefan, but I just want to offer my comments on this. It can be tempting to identify with the ethnic group you look like most. I've probably felt this way as, strangely, I've been told I look Irish, Welsh or even Spanish - despite having no know ancestry (except perhaps some quite distant Spanish on my Dutch side). But I am overwhelmingly Germanic by ancestry, regardless of my appearance. I'm just saying, your appearance does not dictate what you are, your ancestry does. If you feel Spanish because you identify with that side of your ancestry, fine, but don't be encouraged to identify with Spain because people say you resemble a Spaniard.

Amapola
12-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Portugal, Southern France, Italy, some parts of South America (culture). Ireland and Poland (religion). England and Wales (personal experience) :p

Stefan
12-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I can understand why you'd feel this way Stefan, but I just want to offer my comments on this. It can be tempting to identify with the ethnic group you look like most. I've probably felt this way as, strangely, I've been told I look Irish, Welsh or even Spanish - despite having no know ancestry (except perhaps some quite distant Spanish on my Dutch side). But I am overwhelmingly Germanic by ancestry, regardless of my appearance. I'm just saying, your appearance does not dictate what you are, your ancestry does. If you feel Spanish because you identify with that side of your ancestry, fine, but don't be encouraged to identify with Spain because people say you resemble a Spaniard.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. Something I would like to bring up though is irregardless of what I feel, there has to be a certain level of acceptance in order to fit into an "Ethnic Group" in the United States. For example, mulattos aren't seen as half-white/half-black, they are seen as African-American/Black. Obama is our first "black president" not our first "mixed president".

Most Americans go off of appearance when denoting an Ethnic Group almost exclusively, or at least my generation anyway. Most people don't even think of me as somebody of European descent, they guess things like Mexican(which could be European, but definitely not in the stereotypical way they are using it) and Middle Eastern most commonly, and one time I even got Eurasian and Mulatto(I do not even know how) before. In reality most people see dark brown/black hair, brown eyes and slightly darker(though not naturally darker) skin and automatically cling to this idea. Again let me note, that this is exclusively from my generation that I base my observations. A lot of the time they don't even know what these groups or any other groups do look like.

Now that isn't the worst part of it, if I correct them, they ignore me and just keep with their assumptions. I remember about a month ago, for American Cultures(History), we had to present a family tree, and after I presented mine a friend(not a close one) of mine, said "you are more Spanish than German". Not "you look more Spanish", but you are , I corrected him and told him I was actually around 7/16th german while only 4/16th Spanish. He said "no you are more Spanish". Now I don't really let this bother me, because I know what I am, and he is an idiot for the idea not getting across his head that I am right and he is wrong when it comes to something that personal, but sometimes you just feel like you need that acceptance of your peers to fit into a group. That is a little bit why I don't feel American of European ancestry(AKA "White") opposed to "mixed European in the new world". Here in America, you arent "white" if you don't look it by their standards. Which a lot of the time these standards are in confliction with reality.

On the internet I don't have this problem at all. Never have I been guessed to not look what I was in such a drastic way let alone be told what I was. Never was I labeled as "Non-European" or I didn't look my ancestry. I think this is partially because people on the internet I talk about this with are more educated on the matter, as well as the arrogance my age group and generation boasts

Freomæg
12-02-2009, 09:47 AM
They're idiots Stefan. I can understand the need to be accepted as being of a particular ethnic group, but I think you'd find that if you lived in England you'd be accepted as ethnic English (or at least British) and likewise in Germany, France (and Spain). From what you say, Americans are a lot more superficial (and perhaps ignorant) about ethnicity. My cousin, who is very Dutch (with perhaps the same distant Spanish admixture as me, and some more recent French) has a look that may be darker than yours even. If I may be so bold, I think you may find that as you age you'll look more as your ancestry would suggest you are. I actually think there's something quite German, or Austrian, about your look, from the pictures I've seen.

Kadu
12-02-2009, 09:59 AM

They're living a fantasy, setting imaginary ethnic boundaries and denying historical facts. They still blame the Romans!:D You can't take them seriously.

Stefan
12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
They're idiots Stefan. I can understand the need to be accepted as being of a particular ethnic group, but I think you'd find that if you lived in England you'd be accepted as ethnic English (or at least British) and likewise in Germany, France (and Spain). From what you say, Americans are a lot more superficial (and perhaps ignorant) about ethnicity. My cousin, who is very Dutch (with perhaps the same distant Spanish admixture as me, and some more recent French) has a look that may be darker than yours even. If I may be so bold, I think you may find that as you age you'll look more as your ancestry would suggest you are. I actually think there's something quite German, or Austrian, about your look, from the pictures I've seen.

I still haven't figured it out if it is just Americans as a whole or just teenagers who are superficial and ignorant as well as arrogant. It seems the older somebody is, the easier they are to tell who is European and who isn't. I don't think I can recall anybody over the age of 18 judging me as anything other than European in ancestry. The funny thing is, neither of my parents are thought of anything but European or "White" by everybody, including my generation. I wonder if it is because I'm darker than them due to being able to tan easier... No surprise there.

As for what I look. The most legit impression I get in everyday life is French. By legit I mean they don't think I look Mexican, and say Spanish by default since it is the "closest" option. On the internet I've been associated with the English a lot.

Loki
12-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Btw you don't need to "protect" Asega from me, we understand each other quite good.

Haha, no, Asega is a big boy and I wouldn't want to protect him. :p

Treffie
12-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Myself, I can relate to the other inhabitants of the British Isles, even the English begrudgingly :D
I don't usually feel a connection to other people in most of Europe. Australians and New Zealanders and to a lesser extent Canadians and Americans in my opinion are more culturally akin to the British than most of Europe.

Kadu
12-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Myself, I can relate to the other inhabitants of the British Isles, even the English begrudgingly :D
I don't usually feel a connection to other people in most of Europe. Australians and New Zealanders and to a lesser extent Canadians and Americans in my opinion are more culturally akin to the British than most of Europe.

Do you feel closer to English than to the Irish, or closer to Scottish than to the English?

Radojica
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
SERBS,MONTENEGRINS,RUSSIANS,SPANOLITA:P

Treffie
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Do you feel closer to English than to the Irish, or closer to Scottish than to the English?

Feel slightly closer to the English than the Scots or Irish - I guess that geography plays a big part.

Forgot to add that I feel a bond with the Patagonian Welsh after I had studied in Argentina for a short period.

Kadu
12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Forgot to add that I feel a bond with the Patagonian Welsh after I had studied in Argentina for a short period.

What about between the Scots and the Irish(in which you can included Northern Ireland for the case)?

Treffie
12-02-2009, 11:49 AM
What about between the Scots and the Irish(in which you can included Northern Ireland for the case)?

Slightly closer to the Scots than the Irish. As the N Irish are considered British, I see them as on par with the Scottish.

Absinthe
12-02-2009, 11:57 AM
None; I don't even identify with my immediate family :swl

Allenson
12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Well, first & foremost, other old New Englanders are the closest. After that, perhaps other rural, cold-climate, older stock (North) Americans in the 'Anglosphere' (upstate New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, Great Lakers, Rocky Mountain folks & Canadian Maritimers).

Internationally? Certainly all the various peoples of the British Isles have been very easy for me to relate too, and visa-versa, I think.... Also, Australians and Americans actually have quite a bit in common--big countries, lots of wide open spaces, a 'frontier' mentality, lots of Isles extraction, former colony, etc.

The Lawspeaker
12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Haha, no, Asega is a big boy and I wouldn't want to protect him. :p
That's a very polite way of putting it. I am an old fart. :p

Electronic God-Man
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I agree 100% with what you are saying. Something I would like to bring up though is irregardless of what I feel, there has to be a certain level of acceptance in order to fit into an "Ethnic Group" in the United States. For example, mulattos aren't seen as half-white/half-black, they are seen as African-American/Black. Obama is our first "black president" not our first "mixed president".

At least in America, it is possible to be 50% European by ancestry yet still "Black". If I saw Obama ambling down the streets of Philadelphia I'd think he was "Black". If he stopped and told me he has a White mother, I'd think ok his mom was White but he's Black. Mulatto isn't a concept that works well for me and I think most Americans are the same. That's why Obama is our first Black president and not our first "Mulatto" president, even though he is technically both. Everyone can agree he is a Mulatto...he's still a Black guy.

Now that isn't the worst part of it, if I correct them, they ignore me and just keep with their assumptions. I remember about a month ago, for American Cultures(History), we had to present a family tree, and after I presented mine a friend(not a close one) of mine, said "you are more Spanish than German". Not "you look more Spanish", but you are , I corrected him and told him I was actually around 7/16th german while only 4/16th Spanish. He said "no you are more Spanish". Now I don't really let this bother me, because I know what I am, and he is an idiot for the idea not getting across his head that I am right and he is wrong when it comes to something that personal, but sometimes you just feel like you need that acceptance of your peers to fit into a group. That is a little bit why I don't feel American of European ancestry(AKA "White") opposed to "mixed European in the new world". Here in America, you arent "white" if you don't look it by their standards. Which a lot of the time these standards are in confliction with reality.

On the internet I don't have this problem at all. Never have I been guessed to not look what I was in such a drastic way let alone be told what I was. Never was I labeled as "Non-European" or I didn't look my ancestry. I think this is partially because people on the internet I talk about this with are more educated on the matter, as well as the arrogance my age group and generation boasts

Let me be the first person on the internet to say you aren't White to me. :D

It's not because you differ slightly in skin color or any of that other stuff you are talking about, but because you're part Puerto Rican. So again, you're partly (mostly?) European in descent, but not White. But yeah, you don't look White either.

:eek: There's me exercising my White Privilege again...and no I do not believe in the One Drop Rule.

Treffie
12-02-2009, 01:37 PM
It's not because you differ slightly in skin color or any of that other stuff you are talking about, but because you're part Puerto Rican. So again, you're partly (mostly?) European in descent, but not White. But yeah, you don't look White either.

So what if it wasn't stated that Stefan had some PR ancestry? What would you think then?

I think Stefan would fit in the UK with no problem.

Electronic God-Man
12-02-2009, 01:41 PM
So what if it wasn't stated that Stefan had some PR ancestry? What would you think then?

I think Stefan would fit in the UK with no problem.

He doesn't look like it to me.

Regardless, he is part Puerto Rican. It's not a condemnation, it's a fact.

Treffie
12-02-2009, 01:44 PM
He doesn't look like it to me.

Regardless, he is part Puerto Rican. It's not a condemnation, it's a fact.

I know that, but I was just stating how I think he'll fit in here - Wales in particular.

Inese
12-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Baltics ( Latvian ) and Germans

Very related to:

Germanics

Quite related to:

Finnic people ( Estonian) and Lithuanian

Freomæg
12-02-2009, 02:25 PM
It's not because you differ slightly in skin color or any of that other stuff you are talking about, but because you're part Puerto Rican.
That doesn't necessarily mean non-white though.

According to a census held in 2000, there were almost four million inhabitants. Eighty percent of Puerto Ricans described themselves as "white"; 8% as "black"; 12% as "mulatto" and 0.4% as "American Indian or Alaska Native".[111]
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico)

I know that it doesn't matter what people consider themselves and many of those considering themselves 'white' might have some non-European ancestry, but we can't presume that a Puerto Rican is non-European.

Amapola
12-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Puerto Ricans can be 100 per cent descendants of Europeans (especially Spaniards but also Italians, French, Portugese, Germans, Danes or Irish) with no mixture whatsoever; for their part, poeple from the USA can be mixed as well. It's not a condemnation but a fact :rolleyes:

HawkR
12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Easy one!:D Germanic - Nordic and no more:p I are pure:p

Electronic God-Man
12-02-2009, 03:11 PM
That doesn't necessarily mean non-white though.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico)

I know that it doesn't matter what people consider themselves and many of those considering themselves 'white' might have some non-European ancestry, but we can't presume that a Puerto Rican is non-European.

Puerto Ricans can be 100 per cent descendants of Europeans (especially Spaniards but also Italians, French, Portugese, Germans, Danes or Irish) with no mixture whatsoever; for their part, poeple from the USA can be mixed as well. It's not a condemnation but a fact :rolleyes:

You can all stop being smart-asses. I'm not retarded.

His father IS and LOOKS like a mestizo. Enough said.

PS. Not to mention that he admits that there is Amerindian in there as well. He just plays it down as far as the quantity. Most people who saw the classification threads immediately recognized that they were mixed race.

Lahtari
12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
What do you relate the most with ethnically?

Approximately the people of the following area:

http://i45.tinypic.com/30ddw6s.jpg
(Excluding Mogadishu)

Hey, you said "most" - so don't expect me to mention the Boers of Zimbabwe. :D

Amapola
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Not very sure of that.

PS. Not to mention that he admits that there is Amerindian in there as well.
Probably like many Americans here that don't even say it. :D

Most people who saw the classification threads immediately recognized that they were mixed race.

:coffee:

anonymaus
12-02-2009, 03:29 PM
1. What do you relate the most with ethnically?

Kitty cats. They're a pretty cool guy and they doesn't afraid of anything.

2. If you are American, or you have more than one ancestral group, do you play favoritism between them?

No; I was raised to consider myself Anglo-Germanic. Germanic but raised in an Anglo country. We spoke English exclusively at home and I learned my foreign languages on my own or in school.

Yule, adventskalender, sauerbraten, bread that could be used as a weapon, and drinking beer occasionally since 8 years old. Hard to play favourites when you're overwhelmingly German--what's not to love? ;)

I suppose the occasional plate of lutefisk didn't win me over to the other side. But I liked it :p

Electronic God-Man
12-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Not very sure of that.

Well, I think three or more people tried to tell him as politely as could be that the person in question was a mestizo, but he refused to believe it. He then found out that not all of that part of his family can be traced back to Spain.

A number of other people said rather bluntly via rep that the person in question was clearly a "typical" mixed race Puerto Rican.

I lived for the first 14 years of my life beside a large Puerto Rican community. I know what mixed race Puerto Ricans look like.

And as far as that census data shown previously goes, nobody honestly believes that 80% of PR is White. Not even close.

Probably like many Americans here that don't even say it. :D

Argh. What is this supposed to mean? Hurt my feelings? I. Wouldn't. Give. A. Damn. If. I. Were. A. Navajo.

At the very least, I wouldn't be nearly as Amerindian as Stefan here. :D But again, it's not a condemnation.

Kadu
12-02-2009, 03:40 PM
And as far as that census data shown previously goes, nobody honestly believes that 80% of PR is White. Not even close.

And all of them were biracials in the same exact proportions? Weren't they most likely to have different levels of admixture, like 70%, 50%, 20% and 0%.
I'm only conjecturing but what you think it's mixed it may be not in reality, you just probably assume it is because the non mixed individuals belong to the same ethnic group as the mixed ones. Even more because most Americans don't have in mind the phenotypical spectrum of Spaniards to tell if a certain Puerto Rican individual is mixed or not.

Freomæg
12-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I've only seen one photo, but his father didn't look mestizo to me. Granted I haven't seen the classification thread. I really do think that some people allow appearances to draw the wrong conclusions. Obviously you're entitled to interpret someone's appearance how you like Soten, but without knowing the ancestral records of a person you cannot make bold claims about whether someone is white or not. Now, the Amerindian thing is a different matter.

Electronic God-Man
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
And all of them were biracials in the same exact proportions? Weren't they most likely to have different levels of admixture, like 70%, 50%, 20% and 0%.

I don't think I gave any reason for anyone to believe that I thought that their ancestry was of exact proportions. Some PRs are 50% Amerindian, some are 25% Amerindian, some are 36.75% Amerindian...and that's not even including the African ancestry that most have. Some, a VERY tiny proportion of the PR population, are completely of European descent.

I'm only conjecturing but what you think it's mixed it may be not in reality, you just probably assume it is because the non mixed individuals belong to the same ethnic group as the mixed ones. Even more because most Americans don't have in mind the phenotypical spectrum of Spaniards to tell if a certain Puerto Rican individual is mixed or not.

I've seen quite a few Spaniards in real life. And even more in pictures. I can't recall ever seeing one that I mistook for a mestizo.

No Iberian on the Apricity, for example, looks mixed with Amerindian.

Electronic God-Man
12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Obviously you're entitled to interpret someone's appearance how you like Soten, but without knowing the ancestral records of a person you cannot make bold claims about whether someone is white or not. Now, the Amerindian thing is a different matter.

I've basically said everything I have to say about it, but why not one more time around.

I don't need to know the full genealogy of a person to "make a bold claim" that they are a Mestizo. Well, if that were the case, then we would need to know the ancestral records of any European person to claim that they are white.

There's no scientific way of checking these things. But we can make some pretty logical conclusions.

Horka Ozul
12-02-2009, 06:10 PM
I feel related only to the magyars. After my unkle's searchings I have ancestors from Elsass/Alsacia and Northern Switzerland, also I have swabian-german ancestors, but I don't really feel related to these small parts, however I admire germans a lot.

Stefan
12-02-2009, 06:30 PM

:eek: There's me exercising my White Privilege again...and no I do not believe in the One Drop Rule.

Except I'm not "half-Puerto Rican". My first french ancestors landed in Vieques before it was part of Puerto Rico, it was annexed in the mid 1800s. As I've stated countless times, none of the French ancestry is mixed, and I have records that show all of my French ancestry to go back to Europe. The only ancestor that I cannot account as European isn't proven to be mixed and that is all speculation, though this ancestor is from the mid-late 1800s 8 generations away from me. Even if they were Mestizo, which is unlikely, I would be 1/256th Taino, that if this ancestor was Mestizo, which again I say is unlikely in Puerto Rico, all amerindians are distant and the only reason the population looks/is mestizo today is because of accumulated mixture, not a recent native ancestor. My Grandfather, the one born in Vieques, had a mother with mostly French ancestry and the "1" ancestor with the spanish surname, and his father was born in Seville. My Grandmother was born in Europe to European parents and their parents were European, and theirs and theirs. So Puerto Rican I am not. I think the requirement for that is to be born there, and that is something I was not nor was my father. We are American of European descent just like you. As for whether I care or not if you considered me "White", I think you should know.

Stefan
12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
You can all stop being smart-asses. I'm not retarded.

PS. Not to mention that he admits that there is Amerindian in there as well. He just plays it down as far as the quantity. Most people who saw the classification threads immediately recognized that they were mixed race.

And how many of those people weren't Americans? None. Then look at the Europeans, and an Iberian nonetheless who posted in there. Either way, how do my parents differ racially?
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3120&d=1257254265

Edit: Actually maybe I should reword something I said earlier. I said that nobody over the age of 18 has suspected me of being Non-White, guessing you are over 18 Soten which is a fair assumption I made right? If that is the case, well what I said earlier is wrong. Especially considering this sentence. "His father IS ". It is the same deal with the kid in my class. I tell facts, they are ignored, and people believe what they want to believe. My father would have to have an Amerindian parent or two Mestizo parents to be considered Mestizo, that isn't the case.

Stefan
12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I've only seen one photo, but his father didn't look mestizo to me. Granted I haven't seen the classification thread. I really do think that some people allow appearances to draw the wrong conclusions. Obviously you're entitled to interpret someone's appearance how you like Soten, but without knowing the ancestral records of a person you cannot make bold claims about whether someone is white or not. Now, the Amerindian thing is a different matter.

The thread wasn't even about my father. It was about my Grandmother and My Aunt. Soten and another said my Grandmother(a European) looked mixed with Amerindian and my Aunt even more so. I was mostly focused on my Grandmother because I knew more about my Grandmother than my Grandfather at the time. The funny thing was, it was clear from the start that my Grandmother lived in Puerto Rico, and they were trying to make it the case that she was born there, which she wasn't. I got agitated like anybody would have, when somebody told them that they weren't what they thought they were but couldn't support the ideas with evidence.

Three other people, all Americans let me note, also said they looked typical puerto rican. One of which said my father looked Spaniard even though my Grandmother and Aunt didn't, and the other was only fixated on my aunt even though I asked for my Grandmother to be classified countless times. The last person was comparing my father to somebody I don't know. Then, when I found out more about my ancestry, I even thanked them for letting me question it, because it allowed me to learn more. Apparently Soten took it that I was agreeing with him that my Father and Grandmother and Aunt looked mestizo. So then a little bit more it went. Another person said my father looks general med and my grandmother and aunt looks gracile med, another said my Grandmother and Aunt look Berid, and the final - somebody born and raised in Spain said they looked like Iberian Cro-magnoids. Not as overwhelmingly ponting toward typical Puerto Rican or Mestizo like he is trying to make it seem. Even more so, in another forum an Iberian and somebody who lived in Iberia for many years said my Grandmother looked very typical, both of these people are member's of this site as well. So sorry for me not accepting my non-existant Native Amerindian ancestry.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10196

Edit: Also one of the three people said my mother looked Mexican. Please note, my mother is of German and English ancestry. :D

Edit 2: And since then I even learned more about my ancestry. For example, the Woman that my Uncle suspected to be Mestizo had a parent from Spain, and one born in Vieques. The one born in Vieques is the person that I can not trace further, the rest of my ancestry is traced to Europe.

nohypocrisy
12-02-2009, 07:48 PM

I'd like to know who was the genius who thought that giving computers to rednecks was a good idea.

LoneWolf
12-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I am some what confused as well about this new stock/old stock American thing. How does how long your family has been in America affect your culture? I understand in the case of first and second generation immigrants but even then your culture is not "new stock American" it's the culture of your native country you bring with you. And on top of that America abounds with different cultures right? Clue me in.

Beorn
12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
The red coloured territory.
Very related to:
The yellow coloured territory.
Quite related to:
The orange coloured territory.
Partially related to:
The dark blue and pink coloured territories.
Somewhat related to:
The light blue coloured territory.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/999/mapofeurope.png

Stefan
12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I am some what confused as well about this new stock/old stock American thing. How does how long your family has been in America affect your culture? I understand in the case of first and second generation immigrants but even then your culture is not "new stock American" it's the culture of your native country you bring with you. And on top of that America abounds with different cultures right? Clue me in.

I'm thinking that Old Stock Americans relate to each other more. Also old stock seems to only consist of an exclusive group, British Isles/German/Other Germanic countries or Germano-Celtic. Well then again those were pretty much the majority, so most old stock Americans would be of that ancestry. Either way, I've noticed that it is seen as a different group, and only some of my ancestry would fit into it. As for a date, I'm thinking 1600s,1700s,half way through 1800s.

Electronic God-Man
12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
The only ancestor that I cannot account as European isn't proven to be mixed and that is all speculation, though this ancestor is from the mid-late 1800s 5 generations away from me. Even if they were Mestizo, which is unlikely, I would be 1/256th Taino

I'm not understanding the relationship here. What is this ancestor to you? Great-great-great-grandparent? That's like 1/32.

And how many of those people weren't Americans? None. Then look at the Europeans, and an Iberian nonetheless who posted in there. Either way, how do my parents differ racially?
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3120&d=1257254265

Bad pic of your dad. I can barely see his face. And, well, Americans have far more contact with PR's than Euros.

Edit: Actually maybe I should reword something I said earlier. I said that nobody over the age of 18 has suspected me of being Non-White, guessing you are over 18 Soten which is a fair assumption I made right? If that is the case, well what I said earlier is wrong. Especially considering this sentence. "His father IS ". It is the same deal with the kid in my class. I tell facts, they are ignored, and people believe what they want to believe. My father would have to have an Amerindian parent or two Mestizo parents to be considered Mestizo, that isn't the case.

I'm older than 18, yes. To hell with the exact caste system they used in colonial Latin America. To my eyes, it is quite apparent that your dad has sizable non-European ancestry. Probably less than 50%. But it's not miniscule either. I know of atleast 3 half European half mixed race PRs that I can think of off-hand. You don't look much different than they do.

Electronic God-Man
12-02-2009, 08:09 PM

Do a search here on the forum and you will find a bunch of things.

Oh screw it, here's something.... 'American' Ethnicity...? (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10103&highlight=american%3F) and especially this one: What is an American? (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9114)

I got tired of seeing the same questions pop up. Read to your hearts content. Ask the questions there.

Stefan
12-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm not understanding the relationship here. What is this ancestor to you? Great-great-great-grandparent? That's like 1/32.

My grandfather's great great great great grandmother. I don't know what I was saying with 5 generation difference.

Bad pic of your dad. I can barely see his face. And, well, Americans have far more contact with PR's than Euros.

Europeans have better contact with the Spanish and French. This isn't a case of finding him to look mixed, because he isn't. Even if you think he is, it is impossible for him to be mixed to the amount you are saying outside of Europe.

Edit: If you click on the picture, you can see his features. I'll make sure I bring a whole bunch of pictures next time I visit him. Some of my uncles too. I'll even show the picture that my father has of my Uncle and his Mestizo wife so you can see the very noticeable difference between them.

I'm older than 18, yes. To hell with the exact caste system they used in colonial Latin America. To my eyes, it is quite apparent that your dad has sizable non-European ancestry. Probably less than 50%. But it's not miniscule either. I know of atleast 3 half European half mixed race PRs that I can think of off-hand. You don't look much different than they do.

The new world has what we call European ancestry. A lot of the time this allows them to mimic certain European groups in apperance, and just because I look like one of the mixed people you are thinking about, it doesn't mean that I am myself, in fact mixed. As others have said, I look like I fit into the groups of their countries and a few others. Does that mean I am ethnically any of those? Of course not. This is a case of you trying to look for a mixture. If I was born in any of those countries, you wouldn't be looking for it.

Psychonaut
12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
The new world has what we call European ancestry.

http://thxforthe.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/o-rly.jpg

"...what we call..." Seriously dude, your phrasing's got me in stitches here! :lol00002:

Kadu
12-02-2009, 08:21 PM

This will help you understanding it...

American Exceptionalism Reconsidered: Anglo-Saxon Ethnogenesis in the United States (http://www.bbk.ac.uk/polsoc/staff/academic/eric-kaufmann/wasp-reconsidered)

Electronic God-Man
12-02-2009, 08:24 PM
I'd like to know who was the genius who thought that giving computers to rednecks was a good idea.

Oooh, I almost missed this one. :D

What's so wrong about being a redneck? Do you even have a clue what a redneck is?

No, you don't. Kindly HALT DIE KLAPPE! :cool:

Stefan
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
http://thxforthe.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/o-rly.jpg

"...what we call..." Seriously dude, your phrasing's got me in stitches here! :lol00002:

I guess I got a little carried away there. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

December
12-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Honestly I can relate better with birds or fishes than many of my kind, e.g.: politicians, materialists, traitors, among many other national embarrassing specimens.

I'd surely have a more enthusiastic conversation with Ravi Shankar than with Barroso. However that does not implies that I want to import Indians to Portugal.

The current tragedy that we live in, is more our own fault than of the aliens our kindred leaders have not only let in, but indeed sponsoured.

Trog
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I would strike a rapport with any western European, such as an Italian, French or Spaniard much quicker than I would a Latvian. That is because I know nothing of Latvia or Latvians, have never met any and my perception is of very reserved, aloof, Baltic-Ugrian ex-Russians.

Bard
12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Venice.

Very related to:
The area surrounding Venice.

Quite related to:
Greece and north Italy.

Partially related to:
Austria and Germany.

Somewhat related to:
Mediterranean countries.

Honestly it's not easy for me, I'm a curious admixture of european countries.

Poltergeist
12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Honestly I can relate better with birds or fishes than many of my kind, e.g.: politicians, materialists, traitors, among many other national embarrassing specimens.

I'd surely have a more enthusiastic conversation with Ravi Shankar than with Barroso. However that does not implies that I want to import Indians to Portugal.

The current tragedy that we live in, is more our own fault than of the aliens our kindred leaders have not only let in, but indeed sponsoured.

Ave, Dvx! ;)

Allenson
12-03-2009, 01:45 PM

I would say that 'old stock' mainly refers to families whose origins here in the New World predate American independence, with perhaps a second tier, including those who arrived after independence but before the Civil War. The Old World origins of these families largely are from Protestant northern and northwestern Europe

'Newer stock' Americans, who've been here for a hundred years or so, might include east coast Italians, Irish, Jews, mid-west Poles, etc.

The cultural lines are surely being blurred by the day, but historically, and generally speaking, we might be able to say that old stockers might be more rural in nature, conservative minded, a bit more independent and Protestant in religious background. Newer stock might be generalized as more urban, vote Democrat, pro-union and largely Catholic, Jews aside.

Again, these are generalizations, lines have been considerably crossed since WWII say, and I'm making no commentary at all here. :cool:

Horka Ozul
12-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Whiskey in the jarl??? :coffee: :cool: Read what Zyklop is writing Mister wrong!

Hello?? You want to say that Polish people protested against the bad treatment and expellion of German people?? :rolleyes2: No they were applausing it but they had a bad awakening after the Sovjet hate hits your people too...
And no not only Russian people were responsible for the displacement of German people, many Polish people did the same and took the houses and properties and the belongings!!

Hm you are a perfect Polish example ---- you are always the victim!! :angelic:

Total wrong the map shows the sources of Volksdeutsche who were settling back to German reich :coffee:

Liar. And you dont need death camps to kill people!! A weapon or tool is enough and many German people were killed very cruel by Russian and Polish, and many German women were raped

Really, if you people talk like that it was no wonder that Germany attacked your ignorant country on 1. September 1939 , you always show total ignorance of the German Ostgebiete ---- Schlesien , Ostpreussen or Pommern. You know, Germany wanted only a corridor to Danzig but Poland politician were laughing about it and some said that Polish army will be in Berlin very easy O.o It was a bad idea to make fun about Nazi Germany dont you think??

The relationship of our Baltic countrys with the German Reich were always very good in History, Germany had a border to Lithuania and nearly to Latvia with the Memelland!! But our relationship to Poland is not good. Some people in South Lithuania like Polish people but ask the rest of the Baltic countrys....:wink

Germanisation?? There was a big occupation and slavicisation of German Ostgebiete , deportation of million German people and killing of hrundred thousand German people! :mad: I ask you who do you think pays for you in the EU?? Poland is a taker nation and Germany is the biggest giver nation. You take ugly German monster money but show no respect and your people are absolut ungrateful --- it is no wonder that there are not many people who like Poland!! Germans dont like Poland, Baltic people dont like Poland and the Russians dont like Poland too :rolleyes: And i was reading that Czech and Slowak people are not in love with Poland

Hungarians defintely like Polish, we are almost like brother nations :thumb001:

Zyklop
12-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Hungarians defintely like Polish, we are almost like brother nations :thumb001:
Aren't you the people erecting monuments for Attila the Hun?

http://i47.tinypic.com/w9xsvt.jpg

Horka Ozul
12-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Aren't you the people erecting monuments for Attila the Hun?

http://i47.tinypic.com/w9xsvt.jpg

He is one of the greatest military leaders of all time, all magyar folk tales speak of him with great praise. And there is no need to start trolling (I know what was your question's intention). Both germans and poles are admired by the magyars, and there is nothing that for now can change that ;)

W. R.
12-03-2009, 05:08 PM
I feel totally related to:
1. Belarusians;

related to:
2. Ukrainians
3. Lithuanians
4. Poles;

quite related to:
5. the other Slavic-speaking nations and Letts;

partially related to:
6. Estonians, Hungarians, Romanians, Germans;

somewhat related to:
7. other Christian nations of Europe.

Falkata
12-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Better yet, why the Macedonians? ;)

Why Sicily?¿

Cail
12-03-2009, 06:30 PM
partially related to:
6. Estonians, Hungarians, Romanians;

oO why?

W. R.
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
partially related to:
6. Estonians, Hungarians, Romanians;

oO why?It's just about feelings, not about genetics (I'm not good at genetics at all). Historical ties, maybe?

W. R.
12-03-2009, 07:28 PM
By the way, I'd enjoy this thread more weren't I colour-blind. :D

And yes, I'd add also Germans to my sixth point, like this:
partially related to:
6. Estonians, Hungarians, Romanians, Germans

Psychonaut
12-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Mod Note: Posts relating to the WWII era Polish/German dispute have been moved here (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11344)

Vulpix
12-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Second thread split: post familiarity/relatedness maps here (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11345).

Guararapes
12-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Brazilian Historical Nobility

Very related to:
Brazilian People, Portuguese People, Portuguese speaking People from Africa

Partially related to:
American, European, North African and Middle Eastern Peoples

Somewhat related to:
Mankind, AKA Homo Sapiens Sapiens

NordicPower
01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Germany and Scandinavia. I've been mistaken for Swedish on a few occasions, and can identify good thereof.

Grey
01-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I relate well with Old Stock Americans, Canadians, and British Islanders (though not so much the Irish), then on a lesser level the Dutch and Germans.

I feel the least connected to Slavs. They're too damn skinny and it's weird (I'm mostly kidding by the way). Though I've found I can definitely relate with Vodka. :D

Arne
01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Austrian and maybe a little bit rude Dutch.

Ilya.S
01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Russians

Very related to:
Ukrainians ( about 1/8 ) + My surname

Partially related to:
Some West-slavic folk , grand-mother on mother's side family name is Mlikova (it is surely not East-slavic) .

Somewhat related to:
Slavic and other European people .

Monolith
01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Partially related to:
Some West-slavic folk , grand-mother on mother's side family name is Mlikova (it is surely not East-slavic) .

Interesting. 'Mliko' means 'milk' in Croatian ikavian dialects. This kind of reflex also exists in Ukrainian, though the standard word for milk is 'молоко'. I'm not sure if there exist non-standard dialect(s) of Ukrainian where milk is something like 'млико'.

Jarl
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Mlikova looks Czech or Slovakian. It is certainly not Lechitic/Polish.

The Khagan
01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Other Anglo Americans. Typically ones of Northern European extract and the old stock. However I noticed a trend that people I get along most with are people of Irish American descent. However, my three best friends are (predominately) Greek, Swedish (with some Irish, German and Austrian), and Italian respectively.

Kanasyuvigi
02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
- Totally related to Bulgarians with Eastern Thracian ancestry (Bourgas area)
- Very strongly related to all Bulgarians (from Moesia, Thrace and Macedonia)
- Partially related to the Southern Slavs (Serbs, Croats, Montenegrins, Slovenians)

Don
04-24-2010, 11:13 PM
My breed is quite boring. There is no blood from out of Castilla in all the generations we've checked. My paternal line, although, was founded in Navarre during early Reconquista.

My maternal lineages has been lost in the times in the anciently populated regions of Central Plateau of Iberia. Regions known nowadays as Castilla.

So I'm Castilian and Navarre, ancient breeds.

Ibericus
04-24-2010, 11:31 PM
It is also the one that people ascribe to me mostly because I guess I look predominately, to American eyes, as Spanish or more generally "Hispanic/Latino".

Actually, it is the other way around. It is 'they' who might look like us (because of some degree of spanish blood some might have) rather than us looking like them (so-called "hispanic/latino").
Americans are not used to see "southern europeans", specially Iberians/French They have only seen a few Italian-Americans in movies and that's it, because the majority of european-americans being of northern european descend. They don't even know the racial make up of the so-called "Hispanic/Latinos", some even think they are 'spanish' :rolleyes: they put us in the same bag

Piparskeggr
04-24-2010, 11:41 PM
From growing up in New England, when I did and where I did...I am culturally much more Anglo-American than anything, which is part of the reason why Asatru has been a part of my life for over 20 years.

I am interested in and proud of the broad scope of my heritage (reference my avatar sidebar info), but my upbringing was in the remnant Anglo-Saxon "yeomanry" of old town, western Massachusetts.

Atlas
04-25-2010, 12:08 AM
French.

Very related to:
Quebecer (Québécois), Wallons, Swiss, Basques.

Partially related to:
Germans, British, Dutch.

Somewhat related to:
Other European people, even Estearn Europe.

Jägerstaffel
04-25-2010, 01:51 AM
No matter what group I say I feel attached to they would probably say I don't qualify.

Electronic God-Man
04-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Let's try this out.

1. Totally or strongly related to:
Old stock Americans. Primarily Anglo-Americans, secondarily Pennsylvania Germans.

Subset A: All Euro-Americans...but not Guido-Americans. :D

2. Very related to:
People from the British Isles, Germans and Swiss.

3. Partially related to:
I guess I'd have to go with Lithuanians here because of blood-ties, though I know next to nothing about them.

4. Somewhat related to:
I'd say all Europeans.

Murphy
04-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Catholic western Europeans and to a lesser extent Catholic eastern Europeans.

Pallantides
04-25-2010, 06:09 AM
Northern Europeans(Norwegians, Swedes, Icelanders, Danes, Finns and Saami.)

Arne
04-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Do you mean to include halfbreeds as long as they are Catholic and living in a Western Country ?

For me to be Catholic is not enough.

There´s no relation with Catholic eastern Europeans for myself, cause there´s more we have to do with evangelical Confessions..

Dumb English People which call Germans Huns are somewhat primitive and with them i don´t get along..
But some are much more to accept than any polish guy..

White Southafricans i have a Sympathy for them.
Some have English/Dutch/German descend but there´s somewhat more beyond the Horizon than bickering against Ethnicities..

Murphy
04-26-2010, 03:18 AM
Do you mean to include halfbreeds as long as they are Catholic and living in a Western Country?

I could accept "halfbreed" Catholics in Western Europe yes. As long as they devout themselves to one half and not the other. Have pride in both halfs of your heritage, aye. But know your duty first and foremost.

For me to be Catholic is not enough.

For you. For me, I have a spiritual bond with all European Catholics. And in the case of Eastern Catholics the bond is much more than just the Church.

Wulfhere
04-26-2010, 08:09 AM
1. Anglo-Saxons.

2. Cornish, Welsh, Scots, Manx, Irish.

3. Frisians, Dutch, Danes, Norwegians, Swedes, Icelandics.

Arne
04-27-2010, 12:49 AM
3. Dutch

4uPZIG5BHD4
It shouldn´t placed third

In the port of Amsterdam
There's a sailor who sings
Of the dreams that he brings
From the wide open sea
In the port of Amsterdam
There's a sailor who sleeps
While the river bank weeps
To the old willow tree

In the port of Amsterdam
There's a sailor who dies
Full of beer, full of cries
In a drunken town fight
In the port of Amsterdam
There's a sailor who's born
On a hot muggy morn
By the dawn's early light

In the port of Amsterdam
Where the sailors all meet
There's a sailor who eats
Only fish heads and tails
And he'll show you his teeth
That have rotted too soon
That can haul up the sails
That can swallow the moon

And he yells to the cook
With his arms open wide
"Hey, bring me more fish
Throw it down by my side"
And he wants so to belch
But he's too full to try
So he stands up and laughs
And he zips up his fly

In the port of Amsterdam
You can see sailors dance
Paunches bursting their pants
Grinding women to porch
They've forgotten the tune
That their whiskey voice croaked
Splitting the night
With the roar of their jokes
And they turn and they dance
And they laugh and they lust
Till the rancid sound of the accordion bursts
And then out of the night
With their pride in their pants
And the sluts that they tow
Underneath the street lamps

In the port of Amsterdam
There's a sailor who drinks
And he drinks and he drinks
And he drinks once again
He'll drink to the health
Of the whores of Amsterdam
Who've given their bodies
To a thousand other men
Yeah, they've bargained their virtue
Their goodness all gone
For a few dirty coins
Well he just can't go on
Throws his nose to the sky
And he aims it up above
And he pisses like I cry
On the unfaithful love

In the port of Amsterdam
In the port of Amsterdam

esaima
04-27-2010, 02:30 PM
"Litwiny" (singular "Litwin"). That used to be a common name for the people of Grand Duchy of Lithuania, now Lithuanians and Belorussians, some also became Polish. I also feel related to other Balts and Slavs.

I feel kinda related to Holsteinians, i am only 1/8, but my great-grandfather is still alive, and i do speak some Holsteinisch.

Interesting, how strong is Balto-Slavic identity among Balts?

Lenny
04-27-2010, 03:35 PM
What Ethnic Group do you relate the most with?
Roman-Catholic is an ethnic group to your mind??

But doesn't the Roman Church declare itself to be "universal". Therefore, aren't you saying your ethnic group is the Human Race? It seems you are.

I could accept "halfbreed" Catholics in Western Europe yes.
Confirmation of the above. :rolleyes:

The Aequoreus Forum: Cultural & Ethnic Roman-Papist Preservation :D

Svanhild
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Germans, Austrians and Dutch

Very related to:

Swiss

Quite related to:

Brits, Danes, Swedes, Norwegians, Icelanders

Partially related to:

Czechs, Balts, Finns

Somewhat related to:

Other European ethnic groups

Aemma
04-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Franco-Ontarians>Quebecois>Other Franco-Canadians>"Anglo"-Canadians (which most definitely includes the Irish and/or Scottish Catholics)>Franco-Americans>Anglo-Americans>residents of the UK>the rest of the anglosphere.

Sadly, I feel I have absolutely nothing in common with most present-day francophones who come from outside of Canada, save for a select few friends of mine who are Swiss. :( Most of the "French" immigrants I have met here have been Algerian. The greater francophone population which has been growing lately has come from Haiti or Djibouti. :shrug:

SilverFish
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I feel like I belong to Great Britian but I guess not after finding out about my ancestry.

poiuytrewq0987
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Yugoslavs

Very related to:

Greeks, Romanians

Quite related to:

European Turks

Partially related to:

Hungarians, Austrians, Ukrainians, and Russians

Somewhat related to:

Other European ethnic groups

Aemma
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I feel like I belong to Great Britian but I guess not after finding out about my ancestry.

Care to elaborate? :confused:

Bloodeagle
04-27-2010, 10:45 PM
I admire the cultures of Europe. I owe my genetics to them, "my documented ancestors". I obviously feel more at ease around English speaking people, but this is due to my own ignorance in knowing another language.

I am old stock American, of the Scotch-Irish variety. My families stayed consistently Anglo-Scottish-Irish until their arrival into Texas in the mid 1800's. There they mixed with newer immigrants from Germany.

Zeppelin20
04-28-2010, 05:14 AM
I feel closest to other Americans of any European heritage. (it would be senseless to narrow it down further than that because my ancestry is all over the place, pretty pan-euro)
Beyond that, my ancestry derives mostly from the British, Irish, and French, so I suppose that is who I feel next closest to, basically all the Western Atlantic countries
After that, I suppose I'd feel somewhat related to the Danish/Norwegians and Italians..
That would make me more distantly related to the Spanish and Germans?

Absinthe
04-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Strongly relate to

Finns :drink

French :bottlepm:

Swiss :cheers2:

Germans :cheers:

Irish :drink3:

Latvians :drink1:

English :alcoholj:

and Serbians. :drink2:

Arne
04-28-2010, 03:43 PM
That would make me more distantly related to the Spanish and Germans?

If you do think so ..
Comparing Spains with Germans is not adequate

Romanians :ohwell: not so strong .. because they drink much too much

Brittains.. no i don´t drink tea with milk.. and not so rich food.. But the style of the Churches is real interesting... Monarchy is not really prefered so much..

Netherlands flowers and plawnts :D and the beauty cuties, nice churches as well,Emmental Cheese and Leerdammer Cheese,Tulips, Pommes frites (one of their biggest exported cullinaric influence in my stomach) :wink

Belgium my Favourite is the Ardenner Kern-Schinken (core ham)

France the only area i really share Culture must be the German Speaking Area called Elsaß/Alsatian..
Flammkuchen is delicious and not so fulfilling like typical German Sausages in Masses..

Southafrica The white People because of their descending from mostly Germanics..

Swiss Emmental Cheese and Chocolate.. one of the best but also very expensive..

Greek Black Olives

Germany the healthy Dark Bread,Spinaci and Sausages with mustard and Curry Cetchup,Apples and German Wine (i prefer it than any other imported wine cause we pay more attention about the additives),German Beer named Kölsch

Sadie
04-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Rule Britannia!

Amapola
04-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Nobody, sometimes not even with Spaniards :D

poiuytrewq0987
04-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Rule Britannia!

You hate the southerners so much yet you continue to use Latin names like Britannia. :laugh: You probably have that distant Roman who is in turn Italian ancestor in your ethnic background. :D

The Ripper
04-28-2010, 05:55 PM

I relate most with Finns and Finland Swedes. Some sub-national groupings I find more agreeable, but I cannot claim any relatedness, another uprooted "stadilainen" in that aspect. A particular ethnographic and geographic corner of Finland I love in particular is the eastern part of the Gulf of Finland. I have relatives there from both sides of the family, from both linguistic groups, and I have spent every summer there since I was born. I love the landscape, the floora and the fauna, the people and the history, and the beautiful small towns. :)

On a meta-ethnic level I relate to the Finnic meta-ethnos as well as the concept of Norden and shared history with Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia. Beyond that, I feel European and I worry for the future of Europe and European nations.

Monolith
04-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Yugoslavs

There are very few of them nowadays, you know? ;)

Quite related to:

European Turks

What an odd thing for a Bulgarian to say.

Pallantides
04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
What are European Turks anyway, Turks living in Europe or is he refering to indigenous Anatolians?
many modern Turks are not real Turkic people, but rather Turkified Anatolians especially on the western and northern coast.

Monolith
04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
many modern Turks are not real Turkic people, but rather Turkified Anatolians especially on the western and northern coast.
Yeah, there are many such examples. Many Romance-speaking people are Latinized Celts, like many Slavs are Slavicised non-Slavic peoples.

Aramis
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Croatians :),

And to some extent with all ethnic groups who once were part of the...

Kronländer von Österreich !!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Austria_Hungary_ethnic.svg/775px-Austria_Hungary_ethnic.svg.png

Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser! :D

poiuytrewq0987
04-28-2010, 08:04 PM
There are very few of them nowadays, you know? ;)

When I said Yugoslavs I meant other South Slavs... not people who identify as Yugoslav belonging to the nation of Yugoslavia.

What an odd thing for a Bulgarian to say.There are a lot of Europeans who live in Eastern Thrace but they have been Turkicified culturally.

What are European Turks anyway, Turks living in Europe or is he refering to indigenous Anatolians?

See above.

many modern Turks are not real Turkic people, but rather Turkified Anatolians especially on the western and northern coast.Other European groups such as Bulgarians, Greeks, etc who have been Turkicified. Turkey is probably the biggest melting pot... that is just under America if we are ranking melting pots.

Erik
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
I am perfectly related with Frisians and Scandinavians. The French said that I am
"un type escandininave".

Jamt
04-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I can relate to Estonians like I would to a red-headed stepchild. I can relate to Stockholmers as like I would to Africans. I can relate to British people with envy and contempt. I can relate to Serbs as to a demon who talks too much. I relate to Danish women as I would relate to a sexy angel. I can relate to Americans as to a rich, dangerous, fat child. I try to relate to Norwegians, they are goofy. I can respect the Finns. I think I would like to live among the Spanish or Italians. I can relate to the Dutch.

Pallantides
04-28-2010, 11:16 PM
How are Norwegians "goofy"?

The Ripper
04-29-2010, 04:54 AM
How are Norwegians "goofy"?

Well, its obvious, isn't it? :D

Transhumanist
04-29-2010, 06:21 AM
I have a bit of Armenian in me. ~7% if you wish to quantify it. However, I do not have any ties whatsoever to the Armenian community. I would not mind changing that, but I have never had the opportunity presented. Perhaps Relative Finder or Family Finder will change that. I found an Armenian 10th cousin through my grandmother a few weeks back! Unfortunately it is likely too distant to make any meaningful connection.

Murphy
04-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Roman-Catholic is an ethnic group to your mind??

Not at all, no. But religion is quite a defining factor in ethnicity. I figured it would save time if I said "Catholic western Europeans" than going right through the list.

But doesn't the Roman Church declare itself to be "universal". Therefore, aren't you saying your ethnic group is the Human Race? It seems you are.

I realise that you're not the brightest bulb in the box and that you have a dishonest streak in you, but do yourself a favour and do not embarrass yourself any further.

You know damn well what the Church teaching on universalism is. That Christ died for all men and not just for your little American-bubble. You're no Christian.. hell you're not even a Protestant. I'm more Protestant that you..

Shame.

Confirmation of the above. :rolleyes:

When are you going to admit you're not a Christian, I wonder?

mustangeroo
05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I associate myself with England. Nearly all of my ancestors came from England before 1800. My time in England has shown me that, culturally, I am far from English. I often wonder if there is a difference between the modern people of England and my English ancestors. The differences are so great both in appearance and behavior.

Jarl
05-23-2010, 09:47 PM
My turn! :P

Poles, Prussians

Very related to:

East Germans (Polabians), Vends, Sorbs, Czechs, Slovaks, Belarusians

Quite related to:

other Slavs and Lithuanians

:D :cool:

Grumpy Cat
05-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I identify with Acadians and Cajuns, feel related to the Quebecois... but I actually have no affinity towards France whatsoever.

And since joining this forum I've gotten an interest in Afrikaners, who I never knew much about before, because they are pretty much like the Acadians of Africa. (lol take that however you like, guys :p)

Treffie
05-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Welsh

Very related to:

English, Scots, Irish

Quite related to:

Bretons

Osweo
05-23-2010, 10:26 PM
This thread is damned annoying.... :(

It is actually asking NOT who your ethnic KIN are, but who you... get on with. Which (potentially unrelated) people do you have some sort of mental link with... It's not really about whether you 'admire' a certain people either. I can admire the French and Germans for lots of reasons, but neither have markedly struck me as being particularly compatible with me on a personality/ethos/'feel'/mindset level.

Gah!!! :tsk:

EDIT: Ooops.... I'm wrong. I just checked the opening post. I was thinking of another thread. :D :embarrassed :o

Óttar
05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
who you... get on with.

I find I get on alright with German speaking Russians. I had a nice time with a German speaking Greek girl. I had something going with a deutschschprachige German-Polish American girl, but she ended up being a bit of a .. *cough* :confused2:

It's probably the fact that they spoke German than anything. :p

In Berlin, the Italians were agreeable, inclusive and sociable people. Tomorrow I'm going out to practicare la conversazione italiana mia, so I'll know for sure just how likeable the Italiani are.

In Germany, the only Italian words and phrases I knew were "camice nere", "comandante supremo", "credere, obedire, combattere!" and the "Vittoria!" I yelled as my team scored the winning goal.*

*We decided during a game of backyard football that the Americans and French (the Democrats) were going up against the German and Italians (I fascisti), there was no way I was going to play for the Democrats, a team full of frogs! :D

Liffrea
05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
On the basis of admiration rather than a feeling of any kinship (as in my previous post I only feel kinship for the people of the British Isles and the colonial descendents) I would add the Greeks (the ancient Greeks anyway) and the German speaking people’s, it occurs to me most of my philosophical and musical tastes are German, Austrian or Swiss.

I do like the Russian worldliness as well, wave enough money under the right noses and things get done, shoot the right people and you get results, a commendable world view, not to dissimilar from my own people but minus the hypocrisy and BS, no wonder the Russians have a reputation for pessimism……they need to learn from the ancients.

Pallantides
05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I feel great admiration for the North American Indians(I'm after all an honorary Ojibwe:D)

poiuytrewq0987
05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
I feel great admiration for the North American Indians(I'm after all an honorary Ojibwe:D)

I found your long-lost cousin!

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9914/dfgds.jpg

Sol Invictus
05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
France & America

Pallantides
05-24-2010, 11:39 AM
I found your long-lost cousin!

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9914/dfgds.jpg

Who is he?

poiuytrewq0987
05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Who is he?

Tose Proeski, a singer from Macedonia. He's dead today though, he was killed in a car accident.

Radojica
05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
LKRaXPYSzKY

kFPebe7Tgg0

Tose had the most beautiful voice and was very good singer. I am very sad he is not among us anymore, he had so big potential.

Foxy
06-19-2010, 10:06 PM
OK. I suppose primarily Anglo-American. About 70% of my ancestors were British (including the Irish).

Secondarily, Pennsylvania German. I'm only about 18% German, but as you can imagine my mother was nearly 40% and the maternal side of my family largely considers themselves Pennsylvania Dutch. Having grown up in Pennsylvania and being closer to my mom's side of the family than my dad's it may account for more than just the percentage would suggest.

The other bit is 1/8 Lithuanian. No way do I feel Lithuanian. I never met my great-grandmother...I've never even heard a native Lithuanian speak their language in real life. Although the exclamation "Jesu!" (pronounced yay-zoo - Jesus!) was sometimes said by my grandmother.

I don't really play favoritism, other than that neither I nor the rest of the family consider ourselves Lithuanian. I just consider myself Old Stock American since both my British ancestors and my German ancestors have been here since colonial times...with some exceptions of course, but they blended into the greater scheme of things rather well.

Being English and German is quite common in Pennsylvania, so maybe I'm Old Stock Pennsylvanian really. ;)

I am Italian, so I feel related to every people of Europe, in particular with French people (we call them "cousins" also on TV magazines). But in Italy there went really all, Romans, Etruscans, Normans, Germans, Celts, Greeks, Turkish, Arabs (in Sicily), Slavs, Spaniards, Frenchs... and are still coming (Russians, Romanians, Albaneses, Greeks from Europe).

So I feel definitely European.

Megrez
06-19-2010, 11:46 PM
There are two parts I would like to see from this discussion.

1. East-germanics id est Goths. Apart from ancestry issue, also because today the gothlings are no folk, have no land, have no language. They are nowhere, nothing belongs to them. They've been displaced in the world just as I feel displaced anywhere in the same world. My country is just the square metre under my feet. In a greater extent, since I belong to no proper folk, I feel related to all whites that care about their culture, but specially the ones in South America (a little sense of identity growing in my mind?) that do not feel american, but rather retain their regional or old european identity.

2. I show favoritism for my north-italian ancestry, even because this is the one all my family feel more related to. Indeed, I'm 3/4 north-italian and only my grandfather (on mom's side) had portuguese ancestry, and even he was far from the typical med or atlanto-med. All my family has a very germanic look, I would say.

Jarl
06-19-2010, 11:50 PM

aR1ans... Sons of Sarmatia!

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Golden%20Deer/images/156.L.jpg

Pallantides
06-19-2010, 11:58 PM
aR1ans... Sons of Sarmatia!

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Golden%20Deer/images/156.L.jpg

I'm a BaR1barian
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4450/r1bmap.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Distribution_Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.svg/764px-Distribution_Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.svg.png
http://outlanderthemovie.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/conan.jpg

Aviane
06-20-2010, 02:08 AM
As a French-Canadian from Britain I relate mostly Europeans and have a likening for their cultures and can be friendly if want to and off course some I like better but the one for me would be The British Isles or Central Europe:
http://www.europeanunionmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/eu-belief-in-god-map-2005.png

Guapo
06-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Serbs, Croats, Bosnians, Slovenes, Slav Macedonians, BulgAryans

Don
06-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm a BaR1barian
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4450/r1bmap.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Distribution_Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.svg/764px-Distribution_Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.svg.png
http://outlanderthemovie.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/conan.jpg

:) Yes, BarB1Barian. Atlantics, the westerners, Kull the Atlant... Conan.

http://howardworks.com/delrey-kull.jpg
http://www.cracked.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/conanintro.jpg

The dwellers of the limits of the World.

:)

Bridie
06-20-2010, 01:13 PM
What do you relate the most with ethnically?
Southern Hemispherean "colonials" of British Isles extraction.

Äike
06-20-2010, 05:15 PM
1. Finns 2. Scandinavians

Svarog
06-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Serbs, Montenegrins

Very related to:

Croats, Slovenese, 'Bosnians'

Quite related to:

Rest of the Slavic tribes (Ukraine excluded) and Greece

Partially related to:

Danes due to minor Danish heritage in my bloodline

Somewhat related to:

Fiji

hajduk
06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
I feel close to all Balkan nations because we share common traditions ,mentality, language and of course our religion

I like Hungarians. They were on the losing side in both World Wars, lost many territories and were occupied by the Red Army like us.

I have also respect for Germany and German people, but i don't think I am related to them.

Treffie
06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Somewhat related to:

Fiji

Well, that was a bolt from the blue :p

Cynodon
06-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Only to Italians and the French.

Vasconcelos
06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
It's funny that I when I used to be an online gamer (I wasted over 4 years of my life playing WoW) I always ended up having more Swedish/Norwegian and British - mostly English - "friends" than actually Portuguese. :mmmm:

Lithium
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
I think that the bulgarian ethnic group is most related with the other slavic ethnicities.

W. R.
07-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Quite related to:

Rest of the Slavic tribes (Ukraine excluded) and GreeceWhat is so special about Ukraine?

Monolith
07-04-2010, 11:15 AM
What is so special about Ukraine?
I'm sure he prefers Russians. :P

Simonsson
11-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Whilst the amount of Estonian blood outweighs all the other, I seem to be particularly fond of Germanic culture (well, you could replace that word with Sweden though!)

Lusitanian
01-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Portuguese, Galicians

Very related to:

Castilians, Andalusians, English Australians

Quite related to:

Catalans, Basques

Partially related to:

Aragonese, Asturians, Leonese, Canarians

Somewhat related to:

Portuguese Mocambicians, English South Africans, Polish

Lusitanian
01-03-2011, 07:03 AM
It's funny that I when I used to be an online gamer (I wasted over 4 years of my life playing WoW) I always ended up having more Swedish/Norwegian and British - mostly English - "friends" than actually Portuguese. :mmmm:

That's because the true Lusitanian way of being is a lot closer to those two groups than the existing mentality of modern Portugal and Portuguese.

exceeder
01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Strongly Related to:

Canadian (I feel its the broadest yet perhaps most personally closest 'group' to relate to.

Very related to:

Polish, Quebecois (French Canadian)

Quite related to:

Greek (of greek orthodox christian origin... as oppose to say turkic cypriot).

Lithium
01-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Bulgarians, Bulgarians in "Macedonia"

Very related to:
The other South Slavs

Quite related to:
West and East Slavs

Somewhat related to:
The Celtic and Germanic peoples (due to similar traditions and pre-christian paganism)

Baron Samedi
01-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I have a "United Kingdom" fetish, and have been told I belong there several times by different folks.

So yeah.... Bout it, yo.

Adalwolf
01-04-2011, 07:15 PM
I seem to be most in synch with Germans, dutch, and Scots. This applies to both Europeans and colonials in my experience.

Gaztelu
01-27-2011, 11:55 PM

Basque, Leonese

Quite related to:

Ancient: Aquitani, Autigones, Caristii, Vardulli, Vettones, Astures

Modern: Castilian, Aragonese

Partially related to:

Galician-Portuguese, Catalonian

Somewhat related to:

Gallo-Romans, Irish, Breton, British

Artek
01-29-2011, 01:21 PM

Flemings, Britons

Quite related to:

Poles, Ukrainians

Peerkons
01-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Balts(Lithuanians and Prussians, which are dead so to say.:()
Quite related to:

Estonians (historically we were together ~800 years.)

Partially related to:

Germans

Wyn
01-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Scots, Irish, Welsh.

Quite related to:

Difficult to answer...oddly enough, probably the French and Germans, due to relative linguistic/geographical ties and closeness.

Partially related to:

Western Europeans generally.

Somewhat related to:

Europeans generally.

Piparskeggr
01-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Plainly put, I identify most strongly with the New English nature of the culture, which informed my childhood and young adulthood; my 1st English ancestor having set foot in America in 1622 at Plymouth.

There is some, strong, identification with my Italian ancestry, as my mother's side has been in this country just about a century, and my recently deceased grandfather was born in Italy, as were his parents and in-laws.

There is also some identification with an Irish-American ethos, from my dad's side.

All in all, as a child of immigrants of wide variety, my ethnicity is Modern American with many atavistic ideas of polity and policy rooted in that New English culture mentioned above.

Äike
01-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Quite related to:

Estonians (historically we were together ~800 years.)

You're making things up.

...Another significant influence was the traditional connection of the [Estonian] coastal villages with the Finnish coastal areas through the so-called 'friend barter'. On the other hand, in Riga, Southern Estonia was always considered a distant province of Livonia where people spoke an alien language.

Practically saying, when your average Northern-Estonian from the coastal areas met some Finns once or a month or more often, then your average Southern-Estonians never saw a single Latvian in his entire lifetime. What living "together" are you talking about?

There's nothing wrong with you, Balts, looking up to us, but do not make things up.

Pallantides
01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Everyone who have been touched by our gentle hands:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/50/Viking_Expansion.svg/793px-Viking_Expansion.svg.png

Äike
01-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Everyone who have been touched by our gentle hands:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/50/Viking_Expansion.svg/793px-Viking_Expansion.svg.png

I have thought about writing a complaint about that map, as it isn't backed up by historical sources. The Estonian islands nor the Estonian northern coast was never under the control of the Scandinavian vikings. On the contrary, the Scandinavian(mostly Swedish) coast suffered from raids by Víkingr frá Esthland.

The Swedes have tried to control this region since the 6th century AD, but have always failed. One good example is what happened to king Ingvar.

Yngvar Harra (or Ingvar) Proto-Norse *Ingu-Hariz (d. early 7th century) was the son of Östen and reclaimed the Swedish throne for the House of Yngling after the Swedes had rebelled against Sölvi.

Snorri Sturluson relates in his Ynglinga saga that King Ingvar, Östen's son, was a great warrior who often spent time patrolling the shores of his kingdom fighting Danes and Estonian vikings (Víkingr frá Esthland). King Ingvar finally came to a peace agreement with the Danes and could take care of the Estonian vikings.

He consequently started pillaging in Estonia in retribution, and one summer he arrived at a place called Stein (see also Sveigder). The Estonians (sýslu kind) assembled a great army in the interior and attacked King Ingvar in a great battle. The Estonian forces were too powerful and Ingvar fell and the Swedish forces retreated. Ingvar was buried in a mound at a place called Stone or Hill fort (at Steini) on the shores of Estonia (Aðalsýsla).

Snorri then quotes a stanza from Þjóðólfr of Hvinir's Ynglingatal:

Þat stökk upp,
at Yngvari
Sýslu kind
um sóat hafði,
ok ljóshömum
við lagar hjarta
her Eistneskr
at hilmi vá,
ok austmarr
jöfri sœnskum
Gýmis ljóð
at gamni kveðr.[1]

Certain it is the Estland foe
The fair-haired Swedish king laid low.
On Estland's strand, o'er Swedish graves,
The East Sea sings her song of waves;
King Yngvar's dirge is ocean's roar
Resounding on the rock-ribbed shore.[2]

Peerkons
01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
You're making things up.

Practically saying, when your average Northern-Estonian from the coastal areas met some Finns once or a month or more often, then your average Southern-Estonians never saw a single Latvian in his entire lifetime. What living "together" are you talking about?

There's nothing wrong with you, Balts, looking up to us, but do not make things up.

First of all - I really don't care what you say or think.
I just writed my opinion.
And nobody here is looking UP to you. It's your own fantasy.

Don
01-29-2011, 02:44 PM

All True Spaniards or Cristianos Viejos.
(Castilians, Navarres, Basques, Leonese, Aragonese [Catalan, Valencian, Balearians], Andalucians, Canarians.)

Quite related to:

True Criollos. (Pure spaniard lineages in Ex-Imperial lands.)

Partially related to:

Some other True European Castes.

End.

Äike
01-29-2011, 02:48 PM
First of all - I really don't care what you say or think.
I just writed my opinion.
And nobody here is looking UP to you. It's your own fantasy.

You can feel related to Estonians, I am not going to argue against your feelings. But you also added something false into your post. Estonians and Latvians "didn't live together" for 800 years.

Raikaswinþs
01-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Totally related to (direct bloodlines):

Cantabrians, Basques, Castilians

Very related to (indirect blood lines):

Other Iberians, and Ibero-Americans of primarily Iberian stock

Quite related to (cultural afinity, genetic similarity):

Southern French
Partially related to (cultural and way of life afinity):

Other Mediterranean groups, such as Italians and Greeks, Lebanese , Croatians

Somewhat related to (similar ancestral origins , similar mindsets, citizenship)

British Islanders

Wyn
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Doesn't víkingr essentially just mean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking#Etymology) 'raider, pirate' etc?

The related Old Norse masculine noun víkingr appears in Viking Age skaldic poetry and on several rune stones found in Scandinavia, where it refers to a seaman or warrior who takes part in an expedition overseas. The form also occurs as a personal name on some Swedish rune stones. There is little indication of any negative connotation in the term before the end of the Viking Age. Regardless of its possible origins, the word was used to indicate an activity and those who participated in it, and not to any ethnic or cultural group.

Comte Arnau
01-29-2011, 03:54 PM
My graphic affinity map:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7185/affinitylevel.png

Pallantides
01-29-2011, 04:21 PM
My graphic affinity map:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7185/affinitylevel.png

Lol so you feel a bit related to people from Norway, but not people from Finnmark and Tromsø ... ok?

Comte Arnau
01-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Lol so you feel a bit related to people from Norway, but not people from Finnmark and Tromsø ... ok?

This is an approximation, of course. I was implying a distinction between traditional Northern Germanic and Lappic cultures, but given the current state of things, I probably shouldn't have left it white.

Äike
01-29-2011, 04:52 PM
This is an approximation, of course. I was implying a distinction between traditional Northern Germanic and Lappic cultures, but given the current state of things, I probably shouldn't have left it white.

and by looking at your map, I'm guessing that you think that I am actually a guy named Dmitri, who goes to the Orthodox church and is identical to Vladimir from Ukraine.

You labeling Estonia together with the completely alien Eastern-European Slavic countries, makes as much sense as labeling Iberia as part of Africa.

Comte Arnau
01-29-2011, 04:58 PM
and by looking at your map, I'm guessing that you think that I am actually a guy named Dmitri, who goes to the Orthodox church and is identical to Vladimir from Ukraine.

Lol. It's a personal map, nothing else. I know Estonians are not Slavic or Orthodox, but that doesn't make me feel closer to them. Not that I know many Estonians, to be frank.

You labeling Estonia together with the completely alien Eastern-European Slavic countries, makes as much sense as labeling Iberia as part of Africa.

Yeah, exactly the same.

Don
01-29-2011, 04:58 PM

You are just ridiculous, a baby crying or something of that style of emotional and intellectual immaturity.

Respect and swallow the other member's priorities in their relations with others and their subjective and cultural affinities.

If you don't like them just fuck off.

Simple.

Äike
01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Lol. It's a personal map, nothing else. I know Estonians are not Slavic or Orthodox, but that doesn't make me feel closer to them. Not that I know many Estonians, to be frank.

What makes you feel close to Finns?

Treffie
01-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Why are people so sensitive over Ibex's map? It's only a friggin map for goodness sake.

Äike
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
If you don't like them just fuck off.

Why such a harsh reaction? You didn't even read my entire post, you just saw "Iberia" and "part of Africa" in the same sentence and went berserk.

Does Iberia have more to do with Africa than I think it does? As your extreme reaction might make a person not familiar with Southern-Europe, to think so.

The Ripper
01-29-2011, 05:07 PM
What makes you feel close to Finns?

Why does it bother you? :confused:

Äike
01-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Why does it bother you? :confused:

Well, one of the most insulting things you can say to an (Western, Northern-European) Estonian is that he/she is an Eastern-European Slav, identical to a Russian. While the reality is completely the opposite.

That map is just those words put into a picture.

The Ripper
01-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, one of the most insulting things you can say to an (Western, Northern-European) Estonian is that he/she is an Eastern-European Slav, identical to a Russian. While the reality is completely the opposite.

No one said that. That map doesn't it say that. It reflects Ibex' personal affinities. I think you are overly sensitive about these things.

Treffie
01-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Don't be so ridiculous. By that same measure, I could be offended to be included with the same shading as Germans, but I prefer not to make a tit of myself. It seems to me that you're way too sensitive about trivial matters.

Äike
01-29-2011, 05:30 PM
No one said that. That map doesn't it say that. It reflects Ibex' personal affinities. I think you are overly sensitive about these things.

Don't be so ridiculous. By that same measure, I could be offended to be included with the same shading as Germans, but I prefer not to make a tit of myself. It seems to me that you're way too sensitive about trivial matters.

I am not overly sensitive, I have the same views as the average Estonian(Talvi thanked one of my first posts about the map, I think), the only difference is that I am not afraid of telling how things really are.

If one person disagrees with something, but keeps quiet about it, while another person disagrees with the same thing and "raises his voice", then does that make that "another person", overly sensitive?

Edit: A good example of a person who is overly sensitive is Don. He saw "Iberia" and "part of Africa" in the same sentence, without realizing the point I was trying to make. He instantly told me to fuck off. That is overly sensitive.

Treffie
01-29-2011, 05:43 PM
I am not overly sensitive, I have the same views as the average Estonian(Talvi thanked one of my first posts about the map, I think), the only difference is that I am not afraid of telling how things really are.

Yes you are.

If one person disagrees with something, but keeps quiet about it, while another person disagrees with the same thing and "raises his voice", then does that make that "another person", overly sensitive?

So what if Ibex has lumped Estonians with the same shading as Latvians, Russians etc? Why are you offended? I don't know any Estonians or Russians so my affinity to these groups would probably be very similar.

The Ripper
01-29-2011, 05:44 PM

No one said anything about you or your nation, you "read between the lines" and convinced yourself that someone is calling Estonians Russian untermensch.

Edit: A good example of a person who is overly sensitive is Don. He saw "Iberia" and "part of Africa" in the same sentence, without realizing the point I was trying to make. He instantly told me to fuck off. That is overly sensitive.

Don's reactions are often ridiculous. Do you want to be ridiculous? :cool:

Heretik
01-29-2011, 05:45 PM
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss220/wensounds/relations.png

Based on historical and political relations, similar mindsets and, of course, personal preferences.

Aramis
01-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Ibex, do you think I'm Albanian? Why did you put my country in the same color shade as theirs (or as Turkey, for that matter). And what about Greeks? Are they supposed to be that much different to my kin, or more close to yours? Your map makes as much sense as me labeling Iberia as part of Africa.

Don
01-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Why such a harsh reaction? You didn't even read my entire post, you just saw "Iberia" and "part of Africa" in the same sentence and went berserk.

Does Iberia have more to do with Africa than I think it does? As your extreme reaction might make a person not familiar with Southern-Europe, to think so.

Spaniards and other western europeans don't feel usually related to eastern europeans.

So what?

Don's reactions are often ridiculous. Do you want to be ridiculous? :cool:
Yes, it seems he, as you, want to be like me.

It is a doomed quest, chinito. :)

Äike
01-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Yes you are.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll just stop posting about topics which I disagree with. Who knows, if I wouldn't made that initial post about the map, then Talvi would have made one instead. That's just a hypothesis.

So what if Ibex has lumped Estonians with the same shading as Latvians, Russians etc? Why are you offended? I don't know any Estonians or Russians so my affinity to these groups would probably be very similar.

The thing that did upset me is that he divided his map on the basis of the former Capitalistic/Communist divide and that isn't related to the ethnocultural heritage of Estonians, for example.

I am tired of this topic.

Äike
01-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Spaniards and other western europeans don't feel usually related to eastern europeans.

So what?

That's logical, as a fellow Westerner, I completely agree with you. I see those alien Eastern-European immigrants with names like Dmitri, Olga, Vladimir, Jekaterina etc, roaming the streets of Tallinn on a daily basis.

Don
01-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Don

So what?

That's logical, as a fellow Westerner, I completely agree with you. I see those alien Eastern-European immigrants with names like Dmitri, Olga, Vladimir, Jekaterina etc, roaming the streets of Tallinn on a daily basis.

http://grupoeupsike.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dedo.jpg?w=397&h=454

The Ripper
01-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes, it seems he, as you, want to be like me.

It is a doomed quest, chinito. :)

Well, hiekkaneekeri, I'm sorry to burst the bubble but there is very little in you that I find worth emulating. :)

Don
01-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Well, hiekkaneekeri, I'm sorry to burst the bubble but there is very little in you that I find worth emulating. :)

Contradictory words with your insidious tendencies to call my attention... if I am not confussing you with another of the populacho-members.

It is quite difficult to discriminate among the hoi polloi's mediocrity.

Pallantides
01-29-2011, 06:14 PM
The thing that did upset me is that he divided his map on the basis of the former Capitalistic/Communist divide .

Then he would have included Troms and Finnmark... since it's a part of Norway and majority of the people who live there are ethnic Norwegians followed by the two minority groups Kvens(Finns) and Saami.

No foreigner will divide this country, we stand as one! :D

Guapo
01-29-2011, 06:16 PM
I fucking HATE Herethick's map :mad:Don't ask why!!!88

Falkata
01-29-2011, 06:21 PM

Dude you talk like if Russians were from Mars...

Pallantides
01-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Don Brick
01-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Karl, seriously you gotta chill. You´re being completely paranoid about what people may or may not think of Estonia. The truth just is that it´s a small country that most simply don´t know much about. Nobody´s trying to insinuate anything malicious.

Don Brick
01-29-2011, 06:26 PM
- Yoda

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/519/yoda.jpg

The things you stumble upon on the internet...

wtf

Heretik
01-29-2011, 06:28 PM
I fucking HATE Herethick's map :mad:Don't ask why!!!88

:cry :cry

This hurts.

:cry :cry

Treffie
01-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll just stop posting about topics which I disagree with. Who knows, if I wouldn't made that initial post about the map, then Talvi would have made one instead.

Lol, you're now playing the victim.

The thing that did upset me is that he divided his map on the basis of the former Capitalistic/Communist divide and that isn't related to the ethnocultural heritage of Estonians, for example.

So what? We can't keep treading on eggshells so that you're not offended.

Äike
01-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Dude you talk like if Russians were from Mars...

The more I see them in Tallinn, the more I start to think that you're right. They're pretty alien here and I dare to say that a large portion of them do not even have European values.

Lol, you're now playing the victim.

I was trying to be sarcastic...

So what? We can't keep treading on eggshells so that you're not offended.

If I would be easily offended, then I would have left this forum after reading a dozen posts by Hors.

If I disagree with something, it doesn't automatically mean that I am offended.

Wyn
01-29-2011, 06:53 PM
That's logical, as a fellow Westerner

Are Estonians more 'Western' than Czechs, in your opinion?

Aramis
01-29-2011, 07:03 PM

Or Slovenes, Croats and Hungarians.

Bloodeagle
01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Genetically Very Related Too: People from England and all the way to Mongolia. :D It is theorized that my ancestors arrived in England by way of the vikings.
Closest genetic matches are from:
England R1a1
Dutch R1A1*Brabant, Netherlands R1a1*
MarkelDyj�kovice/Gross Tajax, M�hren/Moravia, Austria R1a*
Reed, Hertfordshire, England
london, England R1a1*
Egyin Gol #70Unknown R1a*
+1000 persons Poland
Scotland
Torquay, Devon or Devonshire, England
Razgrad, Bulgaria R1a*
Fyvie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland R1a*
Isle of Wight, England R1a1*

Culturally Related to:
West Coast American

Äike
01-29-2011, 07:20 PM

Slavic and Eastern-European are practically synonyms. Thus make your own conclusions about the completely non-Slavic Estonians.

Wyn
01-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Slavic and Eastern-European are practically synonyms. Thus make your own conclusions about the completely non-Slavic Estonians.

I was asking you your opinion. Is an Estonian more Western than a Czech?

Radola
01-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Czechs + strongly Slovaks (ofc)

Very related to:

Poles

Quite related to:

Austrians, Bavarians, some East Slavs

Partially related to:

South Slavs

Somewhat related to:

Balts

Ushtari
01-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Totally/Strongly:
Albanians

Very related:
Southslavs, Greeks and Italians

Blossom
01-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Totally related to:
Germanics (West part of actual Germany, Hessen.)
Quite related to:
Germanics (since 1647-as my family tree says)
Partially related to:
Mediterraneans (Hellenic) and softly Hungarian.

The next time I'll be able to have a look at my tree, I'll tell you guys with even more details (years and places) :)

Wyn
01-29-2011, 07:53 PM

Scots, Irish, Welsh.

Hmm, reading over the thread a lot of people seem to be including their own ethnic group in this category (in my case, English). Surely that's a given?

Somewhat related to:

Balts

No Estonians? :P

Äike
01-29-2011, 08:07 PM
I was asking you your opinion. Is an Estonian more Western than a Czech?

Yes, because we aren't Slavic. Although both ethnicities have always been part of the Western cultural sphere of Europe.

The problem is that we aren't Baltic.

Radola
01-29-2011, 08:10 PM

No I haven´t ever been related to any Uralic tribes, you know...:wink:D

Yes, because we aren't Slavic. Although both ethnicities have always been part of the Western cultural sphere of Europe.

LoL:thumb001:

Wyn
01-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes, because we aren't Slavic.

How does that make the Czechs less Western than you? Your claim that Slavic practically = Eastern European doesn't hold water here because it doesn't for everybody. Lots of people include the Balts and Estonians under the definition of Eastern Europe and would include Czechs under the definition of Central Europe. The matter is completely subjective obviously but the idea that Estonians are somehow more Western than the Czechs is one that lots of people definitely wouldn't agree with.

The problem is that we aren't Baltic.

You're not Balts, I know. I just asked 'no Estonians?'.

Äike
01-29-2011, 08:33 PM
How does that make the Czechs less Western than you? Your claim that Slavic practically = Eastern European doesn't hold water here because it doesn't for everybody. Lots of people include the Balts and Estonians under the definition of Eastern Europe and would include Czechs under the definition of Central Europe. The matter is completely subjective obviously but the idea that Estonians are somehow more Western than the Czechs is one that lots of people definitely wouldn't agree with.

I do not give a damn about who is more Western. I just know that both Estonians and the Czech have belonged to the Western cultural sphere for a large period of time. You asked for my opinion and I gave you my opinion.

Wyn
01-29-2011, 08:45 PM
I do not give a damn about who is more Western.

Ah, I was thrown off by this:

Well, one of the most insulting things you can say to an (Western, Northern-European) Estonian is that he/she is an Eastern-European Slav, identical to a Russian.

Which seemed to imply that all Slavs were equal to Russians and un-Western, hence why I asked you if you thought you were more Western than for example Czechs. Mistakes are mistakes, sorry about that.

Anyway, let's leave it there before you burst something.

Eliades
01-29-2011, 09:02 PM
For me probably the Romance ethnic group, because they've always been my favorite types of languages, favorite history belongs to those regions, my favorite types of girls belong to those regions, and finally I'd like to live in one of those regions.

Truthfully, I hate being biased, but I try hard not too.

kwp_wp
01-29-2011, 09:11 PM

All True Spaniards or Cristianos Viejos.
(Castilians, Navarres, Basques, Leonese, Aragonese [Catalan, Valencian, Balearians], Andalucians, Canarians.)

Quite related to:

True Criollos. (Pure spaniard lineages in Ex-Imperial lands.)

Partially related to:

End.

Would you please tell us what do you mean by True European Castes?
thanks

Don
01-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Partially related to:

Would you please tell us what do you mean by True European Castes?
thanks

Limpieza de Sangre.

Peerkons
01-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Karl, why are you so upset and paranoic when somebody is saying something that is not right in your opinion? The truth is that Estonia and also Latvia are small countries and nobody really gives fuck about us. Estonians - c. 1,100,000; Latvians - ~1,700,000. Here fits a latvian expression - 'Like a spit in the sea'
Like my life is affected that some Spaniard or Dutch for example labels my country as East European. NOOT!

Guapo
01-30-2011, 12:11 AM
I relate to all the 1's the wimminz belong to.

Äike
01-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Karl, why are you so upset and paranoic

Stop making things up.

when somebody is saying something that is not right in your opinion? The truth is that Estonia and also Latvia are small countries and nobody really gives fuck about us. Estonians - c. 1,100,000; Latvians - ~1,700,000. Here fits a latvian expression - 'Like a spit in the sea'
Like my life is affected that some Spaniard or Dutch for example labels my country as East European. NOOT!

There around 950 000 Estonians in Estonia, not 1.1 million.

Anyway, my posts are explained by the fact that I am extremely stubborn. Being stubborn is a classical Finnic trait, but I am certain that I am even more stubborn. I do not give a damn about the fact that some people do not give a damn about my posts.

I see no reason why anyone should whine about my posts, it's not like I am insulting other people, I am just expressing my opinion. Your posts on the other hand...

Peerkons
01-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Your posts on the other hand...
Are not absurd lies?!

Foxy
01-30-2011, 12:43 PM
ADRIATIC ITALY

ethnically related to
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/703/500pxblankeuropeet.png

ORANGE= very related
GREEN= very few related

In order: Italics, Greeks, Celts (Gauls) and Southern Slavs, Longobards/Gothes. Romanians, quite distant but genetically similar.

Culturally related to
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5030/500pxblankeuropecul.png

Greece: why not? History speaks clear.
Spain: Borbons, language and catholicism.
France: Provence, Languedoc, Anjou and Paris.
Norwey:my land touched by the gentle hands of Norwegian Vikings.
Austrians: catholic, romantic, artistic germanic people. Historical relations. Polite neighbours.

Heretik
01-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Croatia not culturally related to Italy? :laugh:
Italian influence is one of the most important influences in ancient and modern day Croatia, especially the coastal parts, and if we go back to Roman times it goes even to the continental parts (Valis Aurea for example and Roman settlements / fortresses like Mursa, Marsonia, Siscia...). ;)

Foxy
01-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Croatia not culturally related to Italy? :laugh:
Italian influence is one of the most important influences in ancient and modern day Croatia, especially the coastal parts, and if we go back to Roman times it goes even to the continental parts (Valis Aurea for example and Roman settlements / fortresses like Mursa, Marsonia, Siscia...). ;)

Yes, you are right. I forgot to sign it. :D As I said my city is also the partner city of Split and all the Adriatic cities of Italy have more connection with the Balkans than with Tyrrenian Italy. Veneto, Friuli and Croatia more or less have the same genetics too, Marche and Abruzzo are connected with the Southern Croatian isles, Apulia with Albania and Greece. And the language of Friuli, Furlàn, is a mix of Italian, Austrian and Slovenjan.

Heretik
01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Aye, our histories and cultures are interlaced, whether we like it or not. :)

Don
01-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Greece: why not? History speaks clear.
Spain: Borbons, language and catholicism.
France: Provence, Languedoc, Anjou and Paris.
Norwey:my land touched by the gentle hands of Norwegian Vikings.
Austrians: catholic, romantic, artistic germanic people. Historical relations. Polite neighbours.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3314/3231490421_ea7e2d65b6.jpg

Foxy
01-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Aye, our histories and cultures are interlaced, whether we like it or not. :)

I have nothing against it. In my university there's always a research centre about Adriatic studies http://www.unich.it/unichieti/ShowBinary/BEA%20Repository/Area_Ateneo/Centri/Centro%20Studi%20Adriatico//file

Department of Adriatic History: cultures, languages and routes.
Purposes:
-national and international initiatives concerning the historical reserach on the Adriatic Basin;
-promotion of initiatives at the Ministers, Public Institutions, Museums and Universities finalized to the safeguard and valorization of the archeological and ambiental goods;
-promotion of archeological activities, especially of those finalized to recover archeological finds in the Adriatic Area.

Partners: European Project SEE (South East Europe), Italo-Romanian Institute, Institute for East European History of Wien.

Doctorate: History and Culture of the Adriatic (mostly for future teachers of Serbo-Croatian in Italy and of Italian in Croatia).

;)

Foxy
01-30-2011, 01:32 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3314/3231490421_ea7e2d65b6.jpg

It was an answer to Pallantides. Anyway, with Italy they have been gentle. Never heard of plunders in Southern Italy made by Normans, on the contrary, they took all the Arabs from Sicily and deported them to Apulia and some generation lated 1/2 of them were killed and the other sold as slaves. So, thank you Norwey. Gotta a prob? Call Norwey!

Monolith
01-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Doctorate: History and Culture of the Adriatic (mostly for future teachers of Serbo-Croatian in Italy and of Italian in Croatia).
'Future' and 'Serbo-Croatian' can't be in the same sentence. :D

So, thank you Norwey. Gotta a prob? Call Norwey!
You mean, call France? ;)

Wyn
01-30-2011, 02:05 PM
DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING GRAPHICS AND STATEMENTS REPRESENT PERSONAL OPINION.
;)

A map to better illustrate my perceptions, organised by country (as opposed to a simple listing of ethnic groups, but the result is effectively the same):

http://i.imgur.com/ckBjc.png

Black: My own country, England.
Dark blue: Very related to. History and politics speak for themselves here - Scotland, Ireland, Wales.
Medium blue: Quite related to. Strong cultural similarities and linguistic/historical ties - Germany, Northern France, Benelux.
Light blue: Partially related to. Countries/areas which I'd classify as characteristically and undeniably 'Western European' - Portugal, Spain, the rest of France, Austria, Switzerland, the Scandinavian countries, Finland.
Very light blue: Somewhat related to. Generally related to by virtue of them being Europeans, but no strong ethnic/cultural connection in the same way as those in the aforementioned categories - Slavic countries, Baltic countries, Hungary, Estonia, Albania, Russia, Greece.

Heretik
01-30-2011, 02:47 PM
'Future' and 'Serbo-Croatian' can't be in the same sentence. :D

:hail: :hail:
Love ya bro! :hail:

Finsterer Streiter
01-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Germans (includes all German-languaged territories)

Very related to:
Dutch, the Flemish

Quite related to:
Scandinavians

Partially related to:
Germanic parts of America & Canada

Somewhat related to:
Czechs, Balts, Finnics

Blossom
01-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Oh there's actually a tornado in Spain haha. But yeah, I tried to do a funny Europe map...so hope you all will smile a little bit and forget the bad times.

There's my map.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff443/juliavikphotographies/20080807180932Blank_map_europe11.png

Guapo
01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Sorry, I'm still pissed off but thanks for trying.