PDA

View Full Version : Reconstructing Native American Migrations from Whole-Genome and Whole-Exome Data

Tropico
01-30-2014, 01:15 AM
A study done on Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and Colombians. Check it out. Focused on our Native ancestry but delved a little into the Euro and African ones as well. Very interesting. I wonder why they didn't use DR... :bored::roll eyes:

http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pgen.1004023.g002&representation=PNG_M
- Using ADMIXTURE, we find Native American proportions being 12.8% in PUR (Puerto Rico), 25.6% in CLM (Colombia), and 47.6% in MXL (Mexican Americans) (Figure 2a). RFMIX finds values falling within percentage points of these values, and within one percentage point of the values inferred in the 1000 Genomes project through related methods [1]. Estimates of African ancestry showed a larger difference across methods, with ADMIXTURE (RFMIX) estimates at 14.8%(11.7%) in PUR, 8.9%(7.8%) in CLM, and 5.4%(4.2%) in MXL.
- The inferred Native American ancestry proportions are in good agreement with results from the GALA study [49], which reported proportions of 12.4% in Puerto Rico and 49.6% in Mexico. The PUR result is also comparable to the 15.2% of Native ancestry inferred in a different Puerto Rican sample.

Ancestry by Generations:
http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pgen.1004023.g003&representation=PNG_M

Puerto Rico:
In PUR, we found evidence for two periods of European and African migration, the first 14.9 GA (generations ago) and the most recent period at 6.8 GA. This model is in excellent agreement with historical records, which suggest that isolated Native populations contributed little gene flow to the colony after the initial contact period, and that substantial slave trade and European immigration continued until the second half of the 19th century. We do not mean to imply that migrations actually occurred in exactly two distinct pulses-we do not have the resolution to distinguish more than two pulses per population. However, the inference of a migration pulse 6.8 GA indicates that migrations occurred during a period spanning this date. This complex scenario, with multiple waves of migration from African and European individuals, is consistent with the observation that European and African ancestries vary across the island, whereas no evidence of such variation was found in Native ancestry.
The inferred onset of ADMIXTURE in CLM is 13.0 ga ( CI ), significantly later than that in both MXL and PUR and consistent with later European settlement in western Colombia compared to Mexico and Puerto Rico. We also find evidence for a small but statistically significant second wave of Native American migration, 4.8 ga ( CI 4–6). As above, this does not necessarily indicate a single, punctual event, but probable contact between an admixed population and Native American individuals during that period. By contrast, we find no evidence for continuing African gene flow in CLM.

FULL ARTICLE:
Reconstructing Native American Migrations from Whole-Genome and Whole-Exome Data (http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1004023)

thetank
01-30-2014, 02:01 AM
Very interesting.. Puerto Ricans really are minimal tri racials.. Native and ssa usually are just about even but predominately euro

Tropico
01-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Very interesting.. Puerto Ricans really are minimal tri racials.. Native and ssa usually are just about even but predominately euro

At first on these threads it was up in the air but since multiple sources/studies are coming up with the same results it seems to be more than true.

Mn The Loki TA Son
01-30-2014, 02:07 AM
Very interesting.

thetank
01-30-2014, 02:10 AM
At first on these threads it was up in the air but since multiple sources/studies are coming up with the same results it seems to be more than true.

Yea exactly and people are saying that we are denying or negating our African ancestry when really were just stating facts based on genetic evidence

Tropico
01-30-2014, 02:18 AM
Yea exactly and people are saying that we are denying or negating our African ancestry when really were just stating facts based on genetic evidence

Go figure lol

Tropico
01-31-2014, 12:05 AM
bump

Carlito's Way
01-31-2014, 12:07 AM
bump

Tropico
01-31-2014, 12:09 AM
bump

Any commentary on the results from Mexican Americans? I think the sample size was relatively small BUT the real goal was to highlight Native American origins/similarities in the groups.

Carlito's Way
01-31-2014, 12:11 AM
i wish they could start using two types of Mexican-American samples, they always use the Los Angeles one to represent the whole population
hopefully they can start doing one in San Antonio or Tucson
i would also like to see one done in New York for the mexican-american population over there

Carlito's Way
01-31-2014, 12:12 AM
Any commentary on the results from Mexican Americans? I think the sample size was relatively small BUT the real goal was to highlight Native American origins/similarities in the groups.

yeah it is small, the sample they use is the Los Angeles Mexican-American, seems about right, they usually have them on balanced mestizo range but there are some that have them more european while others more amerindian but its always on the balanced mestizo range

Tropico
01-31-2014, 12:15 AM
yeah it is small, the sample they use is the Los Angeles Mexican-American, seems about right, they usually have them on balanced mestizo range but there are some that have them more european while others more amerindian but its always on the balanced mestizo range

I think the only real concern with admixture levels they had was grabbing Mexicans with enough Native (or as much as possible) to compare and properly determine Native origins, comparisons, similarities, migrations, etc.

Carlito's Way
01-31-2014, 12:21 AM
I think the only real concern with admixture levels they had was grabbing Mexicans with enough Native (or as much as possible) to compare and properly determine Native origins, comparisons, similarities, migrations, etc.

oh okay i see, i think most of the mexican-americans with high amerindian levels are those in the east coast

Tropico
01-31-2014, 12:24 AM
oh okay i see, i think most of the mexican-americans with high amerindian levels are those in the east coast

I think its interesting but obvious how Colombians and Puerto Ricans share more Amerindian overlap than Colombia and Mexico. And how they estimated the separation points between the 3 native populations in each area. Also the bottlenecks due to a smaller/limited migration from South American Natives to Puerto Rico and then again with the interbreeding between non-Natives and the huge deaths gave Puerto Ricans very limited Native American genes. Probably another reason why Puerto Ricans cluster SO closely. Very similar founder affect with Europeans, limited genes and bottlenecks with the Amerindian population as well. Our only big differences within ourselves is the African ancestry .