PDA

View Full Version : EU visas canceled for Serbia

Svarog
11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
November 30, 2009

The EU Council of Ministers has adopted today, November 30, the decision to lift the visa regime for the citizens of Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia, for travels to the countries of the Schengen area, starting with December 19. The report from Sandra Pekic.

Swedish Minister of Migrations and Asylum Policy Toby Bielstrom and European Commission Vice President Jacques Barrault have officially stated the decision of the Council of Ministers to cancel the visas for the Serbian citizens, after almost two decades. Barrault has described this decision as a historical step in the rapprochement of the West Balkans to the EU. He added the dialog with Bosnia-Herzegovina and Albania is still ongoing, while the EU will help those two countries in trying to realize the visa liberalization by December next year.

According to Serbian President Boris Tadic, including Serbia to the “white Schengen list” represents the first step towards its full integration to the EU. “We promised our citizens that visas would be canceled, and now we are fulfilling that promise”, Tadic stated at the joint press conference with Jacques Barrault and Ollie Rehn in Brussels.

Head of the European Commission Delegation in Serbia Vincent Degert and Swedish Ambassador Christer Bringeus, have congratulated the Serbian citizens, at the meeting in the Belgrade Media Center, for being allowed to travel to the EU without visas. Degert said that the Union has kept its promise and liberalized the visa regime after the fulfillment of required conditions. He specifies that the people of Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro will be exempted from the need to have visas, except for Great Britain and Ireland. As tourists, they will be allowed to spend up to three months in the countries of the Schengen area, during one half of the year. “The decision applies to the citizens who have the biometric passports, but not those with residence in Kosmet”. Explained Degert.

While stressing that there will be no more exhausting waiting in lines in front of the embassies and consulates, the Swedish Ambassador in Belgrade has expressed satisfaction over the fact that it has been achieved during his country’s presiding over the EU. Bringeus has underlined that visa liberalization is not a present, but rather a result of dedicated effort by the Serbian Government and President. He emphasized that ministers of justice and interior, Snezana Malovic and Ivica Dacic respectively, have set a record in meeting all the requirements from the so-called “road map”, and he added that so far 1.4 million Serbian biometric passports have been issued. Bringeus has also stated that the decision of the EU Council of Ministers will additionally make Serbia closer to the EU and help in developing ties among the people, development of tourism and economy, and he especially pointed to the significance of this decision for the young people.

Source (http://glassrbije.org/E/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9201&Itemid=32)

Now, I just need like a bunch of money :rolleyes:

Anthropos
11-30-2009, 04:53 PM
According to Serbian President Boris Tadic, including Serbia to the “white Schengen list” represents the first step towards its full integration to the EU.Come on, show us that there is at least one country in the European continent strong enough to stay out of the Zeropean Union... Time to live up to the 'ultranationalist' stereotype. :P

Svarog
11-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Come on, show us that there is at least one country in the European continent strong enough to stay out of the Zeropean Union... Time to live up to the 'ultranationalist' stereotype. :P

Yeah, as happy as I am that i can travel without harassing with visas, not to mention costs, this does not make me happy, hopefully, it is not gonna happen any time soon, if Norway does not need EU, I don't understand why we do?

At least I can spend new years in Denmark and Sweden as i planned for some time now, I'll worry about this crap when i come home, not much that i can do about it anyway, not many people can

Amarantine
12-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Original doc.

COUCIL OF
THE EUROPEA UIO
EN
Brussels, 30 November 2009
16640/09 (Presse 349)
Visa liberalisation for Western Balkan countries
The Council decided to grant visa free travel to and throughout the Schengen area for
citizens of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia
(15521/09). It did so by adopting amendments to regulation No 539/2001. The visa waiver
will apply from 19 December 2009 to holders of biometric passports.
Albania and Bosnia and Herzegovina are not considered to have met all the benchmarks
agreed under the visa liberalisation dialogue with the countries of the Western Balkans. A
political declaration, however, invites the Commission to propose visa liberalisation for
these two countries as soon as they comply with all the benchmarks, with a view to
achieving visa free travel for their citizens as soon as possible (see full text below). The
main areas where benchmarks were set under the visa liberalisation dialogue are border
controls, passport security, fight against organised crime and corruption as well as external
relations and fundamental rights.
The amended regulation also makes a reference to Kosovo under UNSCR 1244/99 with the
result that persons residing in Kosovo require a visa when travelling to the EU.
The visa liberalisation dialogue with the countries of the Western Balkans was launched in
early 2008. The Commission presented a proposal to amend regulation 539/2001 in July
2009, and the European Parliament delivered its opinion on 12 November 2009.
16640/09 (Presse 349) 2
E
The text of the joint political declaration of the European Parliament and the Council reads:
"The European Union strongly supports the goal of the abolishment of the visa regime for
all the countries of the Western Balkans.
The European Parliament and the Council recognise that the former Yugoslav Republic of
Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia fulfil all conditions for visa liberalisation. This has
allowed for the adoption of the amendments to Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 in due time
to allow those three countries to join the visa-free regime by 19 December 2009.
The European Parliament and the Council express the hope that Albania and Bosnia and
Herzegovina will also qualify for visa liberalisation soon. To that end, the European
Parliament and the Council urge those two countries to make all efforts to comply with all
the benchmarks set out in the Commission's roadmaps.
The European Parliament and the Council invite the Commission to present a legislative
proposal for amending Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 as soon as it has assessed that each
country meets the benchmarks set out in the Commission's roadmaps, with a view to
achieving visa liberalisation for citizens of those countries as soon as possible.
The European Parliament and the Council will examine a proposal for amending
Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 concerning Albania and Bosnia and Herzegovina as a matter of urgency."
16640/09 (Presse 349) 2
E

Monolith
12-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah, as happy as I am that i can travel without harassing with visas, not to mention costs, this does not make me happy, hopefully, it is not gonna happen any time soon, if Norway does not need EU, I don't understand why we do?

Norway is rich as hell. Same goes for Switzerland. People here like to compare Croatia with them but it's pointless.

Amarantine
12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Norway is rich as hell. Same goes for Switzerland. People here like to compare Croatia with them but it's pointless.

:bump2:

rather funny

Monolith
12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
:bump2:

rather funny
I meant "compare with the aforementioned countries". you mountain nazi :)