PDA

View Full Version : Tips for tracing family tree (Italy)

Tacitus
02-06-2014, 07:20 PM
I want to start tracing my main paternal line, and I was wondering if any of the Italian posters that have done so could offer any advice; so far I can go only as far back as my great-grandfather (I know my great-great grandfather's name by not his birthday). I know how to retrieve birth/marriage certificates by mail (did it for dual citizenship), but what I'm wondering is how far back town records go, or whether it's better to go through church records like baptisms. Thanks.

Peyrol
02-06-2014, 07:22 PM
The right thing to do, but even the most difficult, is....going to National Anagrafe and even in your ancestor's villages/cities to see the registers.
I did a lot of this in the past, i was able to reach 1100 from my maternal line (and i even found interesting ancestors/surnames).

Tacitus
02-06-2014, 07:45 PM
The right thing to do, but even the most difficult, is....going to National Anagrafe and even in your ancestor's villages/cities to see the registers.
I did a lot of this in the past, i was able to reach 1100 from my maternal line (and i even found interesting ancestors/surnames).

I'm assuming the National Anagrafe is in Rome? Unfortunately, traveling to Italy isn't an option for me right now (time and money being the main reasons).

Peyrol
02-06-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm assuming the National Anagrafe is in Rome? Unfortunately, traveling to Italy isn't an option for me right now (time and money being the main reasons).

Yep it's in Rome, but the more accurate way is going to the single village's archives.

Online you can't find so much, unfortunately.

Tacitus
02-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Yep it's in Rome, but the more accurate way is going to the single village's archives.

Online you can't find so much, unfortunately.

I've had success writing to my town's Ufficio Anagrafe for birth certificates, and I've recently written to them hoping for info on my great-great grandfather, so maybe I can at least get something on him.