PDA

View Full Version : U.K.Kekkonen

esaima
12-05-2009, 04:40 PM
What do the Finns think about long time president of Finland Urho Kekkonen: a KGB spy, great Finnish patriot or who?
An Estophile anyway.I have heard that Tallinn city government has an idea to erect a monument to Kekkonen in Tallinn.

Eldritch
12-05-2009, 04:56 PM
What do the Finns think about long time president of Finland Urho Kekkonen: a KGB spy, great Finnish patriot or who?
An Estophile anyway.I have heard that Tallinn city government has an idea to erect a monument to Kekkonen in Tallinn.

This is true, there'll be a statue of UKK in the Tallinn harbor. As for what I think of him, well .... he was a Machiavellian manipulator, and also well on his way into senility when he left office.

Others see him as simply a pragmatist who did what had to be done at the time.

As for theory that he was assassinated by the KGB and replaced by a spy who had been surgically altered to look like him .... perhaps Agent Smith can tell us more about it? ;)

Lahtari
12-06-2009, 01:51 AM
He did what needed to be done - kept Finland out of Soviet Union by balancing between the East and the West - but with a waaaay too authoritarian touch for my liking. He also had a hypomanic feeling of being irreplaceable, grabbing all the power he could get, and failed to leave the office even when going senile.

That era left an unhealthy culture of consensus in this country, which annoys the hell out of me. Pissing into the cereals of the Marxist cultural hegemony by dissenting on certain issues - like immigration - will aggravate an unbelievable amount of hatred, get you treated almost like a national enemy by some, and the mainstream media going apeshit while screaming and whacking the panic button.

As for theory that he was assassinated by the KGB and replaced by a spy who had been surgically altered to look like him .... perhaps Agent Smith can tell us more about it? ;)

Yeah, and after that the West replaced Yeltsin with a vodka-powered droid, remember? :D

Motörhead Remember Me
12-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Kekkonen osasi soutaa.

Eldritch
12-06-2009, 06:30 PM
That era left an unhealthy culture of consensus in this country, which annoys the hell out of me. Pissing into the cereals of the Marxist cultural hegemony by dissenting on certain issues - like immigration - will aggravate an unbelievable amount of hatred, get you treated almost like a national enemy by some, and the mainstream media going apeshit while screaming and whacking the panic button.

This is true. But what's funny to me is that other Nordic countries have developed the same airtight consensus, even though they didn't have their own equivalents of UKK.

Lahtari
12-07-2009, 06:05 PM
This is true. But what's funny to me is that other Nordic countries have developed the same airtight consensus, even though they didn't have their own equivalents of UKK.

Sweden definitely has a very consensual political culture. But think about Anders Fogh Rasmussen vs. Matti Vanhanen with the Mohammad cartoons issue.