PDA

View Full Version : Tips wanted...

MarcvSS
12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Last night I completed the awesome videogame "Dragon Age: Origins"...

I never really was interested in this genre of videogames, but after playing this one, me wantses more!!!!!!!

So I'm hoping you lot can give me some tips on more great games in this genre...

Thanks in advance!

Cail
12-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Last night I completed the awesome videogame "Dragon Age: Origins"...

I never really was interested in this genre of videogames, but after playing this one, me wantses more!!!!!!!

So I'm hoping you lot can give me some tips on more great games in this genre...

Thanks in advance!

Well... As an RPG geek, i can give you an advice here, but i doubt you'll like it :D. Dragon Age is the 1st good RPG in years. Because market is oriented on retards and full of action/graphics/etc shit, but no real hardcore RPGs. The best games were made in late 90-s, early 00s, by Bioware/BlackIsle - Baldur's Gate 1&2, Fallout 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Also by Troika Games - Arcanum, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. All of these games are better then Dragon Age (though DA is the 1st one to even get close to this level since ages).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Isle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troika_Games

Svarog
12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
RPGS? I am probably the biggest dork when it comes to that on this forum, what exactly are you looking for?

Did not play Dragon Age yet cause of way too much work so I don't know what genre is it

Anyway, played and finished probably each and every RPG older than 2008

You might want to start with:

Arcanum
Elder Scrolls - Morrowind before the Oblivion
Baldur's Gate 1 - 2nd part is no good at all
Ice Wind Dale both 1&2

Am gonna try and do Dragon Age soon, hopefully in 2010 :/

MarcvSS
12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Well I'm downing "Neverwinter Nights 2 - The platinum collection" now...

Hope that one will do the trick.

Svarog
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
It's not bad, but to be honest with you mate, it's one of the worse games in the genre I played recently :(

Cail
12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Well I'm downing "Neverwinter Nights 2 - The platinum collection" now...

Hope that one will do the trick.

The original NWN2 campain is sucky, but the MoTB (Mask of the Betrayer) addon is much better. The 2nd addon (Storm of Zehir) is sucky again.

MarcvSS
12-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Okay I hear you guys...

Other recommendations?

Svarog
12-07-2009, 02:56 PM
The original NWN2 campain is sucky, but the MoTB (Mask of the Betrayer) addon is much better. The 2nd addon (Storm of Zehir) is sucky again.

I find them all three to be pretty bad tbh

Beside really nice looking graph in the game, it's boring.

@Plaegh - did you try some onlining of this type?

Perfect World International is pretty damn good and completely free, Chinese did make the game but Americans bought it off them I think and there is no strong Oriental touch in it + most people on are Europeans (some are from USA).

Guild Wars is not as good + plus you have to pay for it

MarcvSS
12-07-2009, 03:00 PM
@Plaegh - did you try some onlining of this type? I dont care for online gaming comrade...

I'm strictly looking for games with massive single player action... Like DA Origins has...

Cail
12-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I find them all three to be pretty bad tbh

Beside really nice looking graph in the game, it's boring.

@Plaegh - did you try some onlining of this type?

Perfect World International is pretty damn good and completely free, Chinese did make the game but Americans bought it off them I think and there is no strong Oriental touch in it + most people on are Europeans (some are from USA).

Guild Wars is not as good + plus you have to pay for it

Lol :mad:! Heretic! These are MMOs, not RPGs!!

On subj: if you want some newer RPGs (playing older ones like Baldur's Gate might not be that appealing to some1 not addicted to it long ago :D.), you can try "Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic" (1st and 2nd part, but for 2nd you should download "restoration project" from piratebay, makes it much better) or "The Witcher".

But seriously, try Fallout 2 at least, it's not that outdated and it just rocks.

Baldur's Gate (1&2, can be combined on the BG2's engine by a mod "Baldur's Gate Trilogy") is the best RPG ever made, if you aren't bothered by 10-year old graphic :).

MarcvSS
12-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Lol :mad:! Heretic! This are MMORPGs, not RPGs!!

On subj: if you want some newer RPGs (playing older ones like Baldur's Gate might not be that appealing to some1 not addicted to it long ago :D.), you can try "Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic" (1st and 2nd part, but for 2nd you should download "restoration project" from piratebay, makes it much better) or "The Witcher".I also do not like the sci-fi genre...

Cail
12-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I also do not like the sci-fi genre...

Star Wars isn't sci-fi. It's fantasy, just the setting is non-standard (for fantasy).

The Witcher is fantasy too, and one of the best ones (i mean books it's based on).

MarcvSS
12-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Star Wars isn't sci-fi. It's fantasy, just the setting is non-standard (for fantasy).

The Witcher is fantasy too, and one of the best ones (i mean books it's based on).

The Witcher I will give a go then...

Svarog
12-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Witcher is cool!

Lol ! Heretic! These are MMOs, not RPGs!!

Btw, it's MMORPG n00b :D

MarcvSS
12-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Witcher is cool!

Btw, it's MMORPG n00b :D

Could someone explain the difference between mmorpg's and rpg's?

Cail
12-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Could someone explain the difference between mmorpg's and rpg's?

MMORPG is a vile parody on RPG. The only thing MMOs have in common with RPGs are the character progression system (class/levels/race or other), settings (fantasy/sci-fi adventures) and (often) combat system. While the real RPGs are focused on story, world and characters (i personally perceive real classical RPGs as more akin to books or films, just interactive), MMOs focus on munchkinism and/or socializing. Thus, they are not real RPGs. Though some MMOs can incorporate RPG elements (like story-lines with quests for example), they are negligible small. Same as so-called "action-RPGs" (like Diablo or Sacred), which are not RPGs either, because they are focused on slashing, and lack depth and role-play, which makes a game an RPG.

MarcvSS
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
MMORPG is a vile parody on RPG. The only thing MMOs have in common with RPGs are the character progression system (class/levels/race or other), settings (fantasy/sci-fi adventures) and (often) combat system. While the real RPGs are focused on story, world and characters (i personally perceive real classical RPGs as more akin to books or films, just interactive), MMOs focus on munchkinism and/or socializing. Thus, they are not real RPGs. Though some MMOs can incorporate RPG elements (like story-lines with quests for example), they are negligible small. Same as so-called "action-RPGs" (like Diablo or Sacred), which are not RPGs either, because they are focused on slashing, and lack depth and role-play, which makes a game an RPG.
Thanks for explaining that one...

HawkR
12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Neverwinter Nights 1!?:p It's a awesome game with real sucky graphics:p

MarcvSS
12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
with real sucky graphics:pThats why I'm guessing...:p

Monolith
12-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Heresy! The original campaign rules! I hated that god damn curse from the MoTB, it ruined the entire game. Storm of Zehir sucks though.

Grey
12-07-2009, 07:19 PM
You really, really need to play Icewind Dale. It's a lot like Baldur's Gate but I find the scenery & storyline much, much more appealing. Nothing makes for a great setting more than a snowy wasteland full of "barbarians" and Dwarven ruins. It's also one of the most satisfying games to be evil on.

The game basically plays like this: storm the enemy and die, storm the enemy and die, storm the enemy and barely, barely survive. Then curse at the game because two people can't possibly carry all of the loot back to town. Rinse, repeat.

Every other game in the BG/IWD series is good as well, though.

Also, I don't really play too many new games, but I found Icewind Dale's graphics pretty nice.

Edit: Which means they look very nice in comparison to the other games I play (fe BG and Morrowind).

Cail
12-07-2009, 08:15 PM
You really, really need to play Icewind Dale. It's a lot like Baldur's Gate but I find the scenery & storyline much, much more appealing. Nothing makes for a great setting more than a snowy wasteland full of "barbarians" and Dwarven ruins. It's also one of the most satisfying games to be evil on.

The game basically plays like this: storm the enemy and die, storm the enemy and die, storm the enemy and barely, barely survive. Then curse at the game because two people can't possibly carry all of the loot back to town. Rinse, repeat.

Every other game in the BG/IWD series is good as well, though.

Also, I don't really play too many new games, but I found Icewind Dale's graphics pretty nice.

Edit: Which means they look very nice in comparison to the other games I play (fe BG and Morrowind).

Icewind Dale is much more focused on combat, and less on story/character et cetera, as compared to Baldur's Gate. Even simply inter-party banters require 3rd-party mods to be installed. So yeah, if you want a great D&D based tactical combat in a nice setting - IWD is a way to go. But if you want roleplay, it's not :<.

Btw, there are multiple mods that add IWD's graphic elements to BG2 engine (possible thanks to both being Infinity-based). So, you can do following:

1)Install BG1 + addons
2)Instal BG2 + addons
3)Instal BG Trylogy mode, that converts your Bg1 and Bg2 with all addons and mods into a one massive game on Bg2's engine
4)Instal mods that add IWD2 graphics to Bg2 (like spell animations, items/characters/monsters models et cetera).
5)???
6)PROFIT (play Bg1 with IWD2 graphical effects :)).

There was a project "Icewind Gate", totally converting Bg2 to IWD2 engine (like Trylogy converts Bg1 to Bg2), but it was never completed (there is a beta but it fails). But i wouldn't do it anyway, since IWD2 is 3rd edition DnD based, and Bg2 is meant for AD&D/2nd edition, 3rd would just suck.

Grey
12-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Icewind Dale is much more focused on combat, and less on story/character et cetera, as compared to Baldur's Gate. Even simply inter-party banters require 3rd-party mods to be installed. So yeah, if you want a great D&D based tactical combat in a nice setting - IWD is a way to go. But if you want roleplay, it's not :<.

Btw, there are multiple mods that add IWD's graphic elements to BG2 engine (possible thanks to both being Infinity-based). So, you can do following:

1)Install BG1 + addons
2)Instal BG2 + addons
3)Instal BG Trylogy mode, that converts your Bg1 and Bg2 with all addons and mods into a one massive game on Bg2's engine
4)Instal mods that add IWD2 graphics to Bg2 (like spell animations, items/characters/monsters models et cetera).
5)???
6)PROFIT (play Bg1 with IWD2 graphical effects :)).

There was a project "Icewind Gate", totally converting Bg2 to IWD2 engine (like Trylogy converts Bg1 to Bg2), but it was never completed (there is a beta but it fails). But i wouldn't do it anyway, since IWD2 is 3rd edition DnD based, and Bg2 is meant for AD&D/2nd edition, 3rd would just suck.

Why do you use BG Trilogy instead of EasyTutu? I thought trilogy was unstable. Other than that, this seems like a pretty good setup.

Stefan
12-07-2009, 08:32 PM
If you don't mind old graphics, Baldur's Gates I & II are by far my favorite Western made role playing games. They are also made by the same developer, and Dragon Age Origins is a spiritual successor. You definitely have to give them a try. You can also try some other Bioware games; Knights of The Old Republic I & II, and Mass Effect are some good ones. I'd give some Blizzard games a try too. Especially the Diablo series(I can't wait untile 3 comes out :D). The Elder Scrolls series is good if you get the PC version and mod them. The games go from ok to amazing that way. Same thing for Fallout 3, but to a lesser extent. The older Fallouts are much better as standalone games imo, and you don't need mods for them. Basically you can't go wrong with anything Bioware or Blizzard and a few things from Bethesda(though they are far from as amazing as the other two).

Edit: The Witcher is pretty good too, but I didn't find it too amazing.

Cail
12-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Why do you use BG Trilogy instead of EasyTutu? I thought trilogy was unstable. Other than that, this seems like a pretty good setup.

I've never had any troubles with Trilogy, even though i use tons of mods. You just need to carefully plan the installation order and don't make mistakes (any stupid misplaced file can corrupt whole installation). Tutu has compatibility issues with some mods, and also i'm just used to BGT :<.

Cail
12-07-2009, 08:53 PM
If you don't mind old graphics, Baldur's Gates I & II are by far my favorite Western made role playing games. They are also made by the same developer, and Dragon Age Origins is a spiritual successor. You definitely have to give them a try. You can also try some other Bioware games; Knights of The Old Republic I & II, and Mass Effect are some good ones. I'd give some Blizzard games a try too. Especially the Diablo series(I can't wait untile 3 comes out :D). The Elder Scrolls series is good if you get the PC version and mod them. The games go from ok to amazing that way. Same thing for Fallout 3, but to a lesser extent. The older Fallouts are much better as standalone games imo, and you don't need mods for them. Basically you can't go wrong with anything Bioware or Blizzard and a few things from Bethesda(though they are far from as amazing as the other two).
Mass Effect is total shit, 100% sucky game (worst of Bioware's probably, on par with Jade Empire).

Edit: The Witcher is pretty good too, but I didn't find it too amazing.
Witcher is a good RPG with amazing atmosphere and interesting quests, though it's even better if you've read Sapkovsky's books. It looses a little when translated to non-Slavic language (both book and the game), but not too much (i've seen English translations, they're pretty good).

Stefan
12-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Mass Effect is total shit, 100% sucky game (worst of Bioware's probably, on par with Jade Empire).

I'd say it is overhyped or overrated, and probably agree that it is Bioware's worst game, but I wouldn't say it "sucked".

Witcher is a good RPG with amazing atmosphere and interesting quests, though it's even better if you've read Sapkovsky's books. It looses a little when translated to non-Slavic language (both book and the game), but not too much (i've seen English translations, they're pretty good).

Maybe I should read the books then. That is if they were translated to English? The gameplay was probably my favorite part of the Witcher though. The story was good, actually probably very good, but not something I would consider amazing, and the atmosphere is good as well. I have extremely high standards for the atmosphere of video games as the Metroid series is my favorite of all game series, though not an RPG. :D

Cail
12-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Maybe I should read the books then. That is if they were translated to English?
Yeah, they were, and you most definitely should, it's one of the best fantasy series ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_witcher

Svarog
12-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Baldur's Gate 2 is total crap compared with the first part imo

Ice Wind dale is still one of the best, it is more combat oriented but it does not have too bad story either, some of the game areas are excellent and pretty original compared to the other games.

Diablo, it is just smashing with no story at all but damn good, especially fun to play in multiplayer with a group/party, after some time, it does gets boring tho

But guys - ARCANUM!! Play it!

MarcvSS
12-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Well I deicided to play the Witcher enhanced edition and I really enjoyed it...
I especially liked the sexcard business in that game to name just one feature...

Thanks to those who recommended it.:)