PDA

View Full Version : Why Is African-American Popular Culture So Influential?

Anglojew
02-11-2014, 02:20 AM
There's about 42 million African-Americans making up about 14% of the US population but African-Americans have an influence on US and Western popular culture out of all proportion to their numbers.

http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_nhblack.gif

Having created whole genres of popular music including Motown and Hip Hop African-Americans dominate the US music scene. They are increasingly dominant as music mogals too.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/26/article-2477238-18FD8A7400000578-27_634x429.jpg

African-Americans dominate the US professional sports scene (especially Athletics, NFL and Basketball), are influential in the entertainment and fashion industries -and have a huge influence on popular and youth cultures- and even upon the English-language itself.

Does this come from an innate West African superiority in music and "fast-twitch" sports, or from the fact many African-Americans live in influential urban areas such as New York and Los Angeles? Is their knack of creating new and influence slang words and phrases due to the West African Eubonic influence on their speech or to some creative force others lack?

Why are African-Americans so influential on our popular culture?

Crn Volk
02-11-2014, 02:25 AM
music, sport, bitches & ho's

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 02:26 AM
It's a poison.

zhaoyun
02-11-2014, 02:27 AM
I think traditionally many West African cultures involved drum style music into their lives, and this was passed on to the slaves who truly revolutionized Western music. African American music is very rich and very attractive, so I think this is the primary reason.

Anglojew
02-11-2014, 02:27 AM
It's a poison.

Whilst much is certainly influenced by the gutter eg so-called "gangsta" rap, much of African-American culture is relatively, wholesome such as RnB, or at least no less so than similar white acts.

Shah-Jehan
02-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Jew creates a thread blabbering about how African culture is uninfluential, now creates a thread on how it is very influential = epic fail.

Anglojew
02-11-2014, 02:30 AM
Jew creates a thread blabbering about how African culture is uninfluential, now creates a thread on how it is very influential = epic fail.

Bangladeshi who can't read. One is on Indigenous African culture and one on African-AMERICAN culture which I even contrast with African culture in the first thread you mention. That's the whole point, why is one so influential, yet the other not?

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 02:32 AM
Honestly all forms of popular music stem from subaltern populations (people outside the hegemonic power structures).

The fact that the US was/is a world power made it so that as America stretched/es its arms around the world the forms of music listened to by the soldiers/students/administrators/etc... Came along too.

The concept of "cool" and "hip" are literally expressions created from the black American experience; the Beat Generation although largely white came largely from Jazz and black American expression; the Beatles were largely informed by music carried by black sailors from the US and the Carribean since Liverpool has been a major port city for centuries.

Idk its kinda obvi to me.

Shah-Jehan
02-11-2014, 02:33 AM
Bangladeshi who can't read. One is on Indigenous African culture and one on African-AMERICAN culture which I even contrast with African culture in the first thread you mention. That's the whole point, why is one so influential, yet the other not?

why are you such a dumbass? Last thread, you said "Negrid culture" meaning you have also included the vast majority of African-Americans.

Anglojew
02-11-2014, 02:34 AM
Honestly all forms of popular music stem from subaltern populations (people outside the hegemonic power structures).

The fact that the US was/is a world power made it so that as America stretched/es its arms around the world the forms of music listened to by the soldiers/students/administrators/etc... Came along too.

The concept of "cool" and "hip" are literally expressions created from the black American experience; the Beat Generation although largely white came largely from Jazz and black American expression; the Beatles were largely informed by music carried by black sailors from the US and the Carribean sinceLiverpool has been a major port city for centuries.

Idk its kinda obvi to me.

Yes, the so-called "British invasion" was just white guys singling "black" music.

You're right about the Beat generation too.

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 02:36 AM

Jews > Negroes.....a HUNDRED times over.

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 02:42 AM
Yes, the so-called "British invasion" was just white guys singling "black" music.

You're right about the Beat generation too.

The adults of a given generation have always degraded black music and culture; the blamed Jazz/Swing for creating the flappers, they blamed Rock for creating the greasers and "thugs" of the euro immigrant industrial north, they blamed disco and soul for the 1970's degeneracy but when that generation dies and the generation that listened to the music grow up they recognize it really wasn't bad at all and really was the catalyst for expression and innovation.

Methmatician
02-11-2014, 02:44 AM
Because it's American.

Shah-Jehan
02-11-2014, 02:46 AM
Jews > Negroes.....a HUNDRED times over.

Never said either of them is better or bad but, what if someone's both like Kidmulat for e.g.

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 02:50 AM

"African" and "culture" are oxymoron's btw.

What their "culture" consists of is: Rape, murder, demanding for what they have not earned, cRap music, killing eachother over Air Jordans, etc.

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 02:51 AM

Now you're just trolling :-/

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 02:52 AM
Now you're just trolling :-/

Why are you on a European forum? Exactly? LOL

Shah-Jehan
02-11-2014, 02:54 AM

Have you heard of Egypt, Carthage, Nubia, Abyssinia?

Smeagol
02-11-2014, 02:54 AM

None of those were black african though.

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 02:55 AM
Yes, all WHITE/CAUCASOID civilizations. The negroes were still flinging shit at each-other in Sub-saharan Africa.

Shah-Jehan
02-11-2014, 02:55 AM
^K whatever but, you did say "African"

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 02:56 AM
^K whatever but, you did say "African"

I meant Black. Would you prefer if I said SSA?

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 02:56 AM
Why are you on a European forum? Exactly? LOL

I originally came on here because I love my European heritage but people here seem to confuse being proud of European heritage with denigrating everyone else and I will not sit idyll by while that happens.

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 02:57 AM
None of those were black african though.

Black and SSA are two different things...

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 02:59 AM
I originally came on here because I love my European heritage but people here seem to confuse being proud of European heritage with denigrating everyone else and I will not sit idyll by while that happens.

Huh?

If you really do have any European heritage, then why is a Negro your avatar? Kind of defeats the purpose of joining a European forum.

Smeagol
02-11-2014, 02:59 AM

True, Horners are ssa but not black.

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 03:01 AM
No. SSA = Black = Negroid. Same meaning, different terms.

North African's aren't "Black". Northern Egyptians certainly aren't by any stretch of the imagination, nor are Moroccan/Algerian/Tunisian Berber's.

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 03:01 AM
True, Horners are ssa but not black.

Horners are black though Black does not only mean Negrid

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 03:02 AM

Yes it does. "Black" features are found in SSA populations exclusively. Like a huge nose, huge lips, and prognathism.

Horners are hybrids. Mostly SSA though.

Smeagol
02-11-2014, 03:02 AM

No, black means only Negrid, and Paolo Pinkel says he's White.

Hierarchalist
02-11-2014, 03:10 AM
Ever wonder why even with affirmative action and all the programs to help negroes, they only excel in fields of track and entrainment? Much like modern slaves.

Look around you...see the entertainers and athletes?

Still hooting and hollering for the masta!
Sure they get their bling bling and their bouncing trucks with the spinning rims, but what do they do with it?

No self-awareness, no discipline.

Slaves are still around, only the methods have become more sophisticated.

asingh
02-11-2014, 03:10 AM
Huh?

If you really do have any European heritage, then why is a Negro your avatar? Kind of defeats the purpose of joining a European forum.

An avatar can be anything. LOL. It does not necessarily have to depict a physical tangible.

DanielJ1eH
02-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Ever wonder why even with affirmative action and all the programs to help negroes, they only excel in fields of track and entrainment? Much like modern slaves.

Look around you...see the entertainers and athletes?

Still hooting and hollering for the masta!
Sure they get their bling bling and their bouncing trucks with the spinning rims, but what do they do with it?

No self-awareness, no discipline.

Slaves are still around, only the methods have become more sophisticated.
The negro is nothing more than a pawn in a Chess game.

Anglojew
02-11-2014, 03:24 AM
why are you such a dumbass? Last thread, you said "Negrid culture" meaning you have also included the vast majority of African-Americans.

I included a helpful map so even the dimmest could, hopefully, follow. Congratulations for being "off-the-charts" dim.

African-Americans have their own culture don't share indigenous African culture.

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 03:24 AM
No, black means only Negrid, and Paolo Pinkel says he's White.

Black is a generalized term to mean dark Africans: Somalians, Khoisan, Pygmies all black; Paolo trolls but even he said black and white definitions are stupid and western.

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 03:26 AM
I included a helpful map so even the dimmest could, hopefully, follow. Congratulations for being "off-the-charts" dim.

African-Americans have their own culture don't share indigenous African culture.

AfrAm culture is not only the fusion of African and European culture but is also the africanizing of "foreign" influences.

Smeagol
02-11-2014, 03:38 AM
Black is a generalized term to mean dark Africans: Somalians, Khoisan, Pygmies all black; Paolo trolls but even he said black and white definitions are stupid and western.

There is no such thing as a black, or white race, they're new world terms, but I don't think of Horners as black anyway.

Weedman
02-11-2014, 03:38 AM
as far as music goes African Americans have always had some kind of influence in 20th century America.

American Rock n Roll came from White musicians who were trying to play like Black blues musicians

even traditional Southern rock groups like Lynard Skynard have claimed they were trying to sing like Black blues singers, even though groups like that would be the furthest thing you'd imagine from being influenced by African American music

Its not just hip hop and pop.......African American music has always had an influence in wider American genres from gospel to Rock and Roll

I think it's specific to African-AMERICAN culture though. Alot of their influence has nothing to do with traditional African music and drum beats but even when you do include rap, its obvious there is a common thread with rap and maybe drum sounds from West Africa but rap didnt come about until the 1980's.

Its not like there was just some unbroken link between 1980's rap African American music and colonial slave music of the 1600's and 1700's

I think drum beats and rhythm have always been influential with African American music from colonial times to jazz and swing to 70's pop up to now
but it was a gradual cultural development within Black and Urban America and is why even today that influence comes from America and specifically African-American culture not merely traditional African culture or from Africa itself.

It's a culture that's been influenced by African origins but it's not merely an African thing. It's also been influenced by non-African cultures as well and it's specifically a (Black) American thing.

The King, I am
02-11-2014, 03:39 AM
being black is cool now apparently

Anglojew
02-11-2014, 03:41 AM
Never said either of them is better or bad but, what if someone's both like Kidmulat for e.g.

He should obviously be made Viceroy of Bangladesh due to both his racial and cultural superiority over the locals.

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 03:44 AM
There is no such thing as a black, or white race, they're new world terms, but I don't think of Horners as black anyway.

People have no qualms calling them nigger here so they black lol

No but really; we both know Sudanid, Khoid, Bambutid, ancient Aethiopid, Nilotic, etc... Are bullsh*t terms anyway. All Africans have khoisan ancestry, all Africans have Sudanid ancestry, all Africans have Cushitic ancestry, etc...; the basis of categorization by Coon and the like were by using the most diverged and extreme populations as some baseline that probably never existed before in the first place.

Africans as a whole are all people at different places of a spectrum; its a farce to say otherwise and its just as much a farce to say therefore "such-and-such people had no part in x".

Carlito's Way
02-11-2014, 03:46 AM
i think its because it comes from America, the most powerful and influential country in the world but even african music has gotten popular in many countries of Europe

Danca Kuduro was very big in Europe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9aMmSzIHnI

african dance, this dance is starting to get popular in the southwest USA and mexico, these guys even do tours around these regions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29DT-71bk-M

when it comes to dances and music, i really like the ones from Africa but African American music is great, also we cant forget african american music and dances have gotten big influences from their Caribbean brothas

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 03:53 AM
as far as music goes African Americans have always had some kind of influence in 20th century America.

American Rock n Roll came from White musicians who were trying to play like Black blues musicians

even traditional Southern rock groups like Lynard Skynard have claimed they were trying to sing like Black blues singers, even though groups like that would be the furthest thing you'd imagine from being influenced by African American music

Its not just hip hop and pop.......African American music has always had an influence in wider American genres from gospel to Rock and Roll

I think it's specific to African-AMERICAN culture though. Alot of their influence has nothing to do with traditional African music and drum beats but even when you do include rap, its obvious there is a common thread with rap and maybe drum sounds from West Africa but rap didnt come about until the 1980's.

Its not like there was just some unbroken link between 1980's rap African American music and colonial slave music of the 1600's and 1700's

I think drum beats and rhythm have always been influential with African American music from colonial times to jazz and swing to 70's pop up to now
but it was a gradual cultural development within Black and Urban America and is why even today that influence comes from America and specifically African-American culture not merely traditional African culture or from Africa itself.

It's a culture that's been influenced by African origins but it's not merely an African thing. It's also been influenced by non-African cultures as well and it's specifically a (Black) American thing.

I do have to say though that rap is still informed by African culture; its very basis and creation came from the word play known as "The Dozens" which stem from Sanankuya and other Joking Relationships.

Is not only the literal African influences you know the overtones; its the subversion of enforced European language and cultural norms through African derived esthetic (Academically its called "signifyin(g)" )

KidMulat
02-11-2014, 04:29 AM
He should obviously be made Viceroy of Bangladesh due to both his racial and cultural superiority over the locals.

:-/

Taiga Lake
02-11-2014, 02:23 PM
That's because it comes from Usa and Usa just have to push it's shitty "cultures" everywhere like mcdonalds. coca cola, hollywood, pop music, etc.

Hierarchalist
02-12-2014, 04:47 AM
http://static4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/3174811+_d59257a667e934fc5f67e9b5d6e11df7.gif

Oh shiat....dis so confusing... Da devil must be behind this.. Shiat.

GrebluBro
02-12-2014, 04:49 AM
I think traditionally many West African cultures involved drum style music into their lives, and this was passed on to the slaves who truly revolutionized Western music. African American music is very rich and very attractive, so I think this is the primary reason.

Culture coming with their music is negative.

zhaoyun
02-12-2014, 04:51 AM
Culture coming with their music is negative.

Not all of it. Maybe some of the gangster rap. But listen to some of those old blues, soul music or gospel music. It's the most beautiful music in the world IMO.

Also, some of the rap music is great too. But some of it is really stupid, mainly the commercial ones. There are some that are more political and more intellectual, but they dont get as much exposure because they can be too controversial or less marketable.

GrebluBro
02-12-2014, 04:54 AM

Shah-Jehan is anti-White pro-Black anti-Jew anti-Christian anti-Hindu....

LOL

Anglojew
02-12-2014, 05:48 AM
Shah-Jehan is anti-White pro-Black anti-Jew anti-Hindu....

LOL

I can see why India jettisoned Bangladesh.

GrebluBro
02-12-2014, 05:56 AM
I can see why India jettisoned Bangladesh.

There are 10-20 million illegal Bangladeshis in India.

You must know that Bangladesh has the world's highest population density among all countries in the world => not enough space it seems.

They also breed like rats in the UK. 4-5 children per woman who lives on welfare and they suck other ethnic groups' tax money.

Anglojew
02-12-2014, 05:59 AM
Fixed

They also inbreed like rats in the UK. 4-5 children per woman who lives on welfare and they suck other ethnic groups' tax money.