PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Adds Custom Gender Options for Transgender Members

microrobert
02-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Facebook Adds Custom Gender Options for Transgender Members

Facebook announced on Thursday that it will offer a custom gender option for its transgender members in the United States, as well as increased privacy settings.

Transgender members among the social network's 159 million monthly users in the U.S. can chose to be addressed by him, her, or them. "People who select a custom gender will now have the ability to choose the pronoun they’d like to be referred to publicly — male (he/his), female (she/her) or neutral (they/their)," the social network said in a statement. Members can further chose from a variety of options to identify their sexuality, including androgynous, transgender and gender fluid. "We also have added the ability for people to control the audience with whom they want to share their custom gender," Facebook added.

"This new feature is a step forward in recognizing transgender people and allows them to tell their authentic story in their own words," GLAAD President Sarah Kate Ellis, whose LGBT rights organization worked with Facebook to create the new settings, said in a statement. "Once again, Facebook is on the forefront of ensuring that the platform is safe and accessible to all of its LGBT users."

Though currently available only to U.S. members, the new gender options address a petition launched by LGBT rights network All Out, demanding that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg add additional gender options on the social network. "Nepal, India, Pakistan, and Australia legally recognize third genders, but Facebook refuses to offer additional gender options," read the petition which had 38,566 Internet signatures as of Thursday afternoon.

With a history of supporting anti-bullying programs for LGBT teens, Facebook further supported LGBT rights in 2011 when it added "In a Civil Union" and "In a Domestic Partnership" options to user profiles. In 2012, gay marriage timline icons for same-sex couples were added to the social network.

Facebook Adds Custom Gender Options for Transgender Members - NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/facebook-adds-custom-gender-options-transgender-members-n29741)

The Illyrian Warrior
02-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Jewish owner got to go with PC flow.

wvwvw
02-14-2014, 03:15 AM
New options include 'cisgender,' 'transgender' and 'intersex'
Site has also updated its setting to allow users to select a neutral pronoun referring to them as they, their or them
Facebook came up with its range of terms after consulting with leading gay and transgender activists
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: 18:59 GMT, 13 February 2014 | UPDATED: 00:02 GMT, 14 February 2014

Facebook has completely revamped its gender settings to allow for options other than just male or female.
The feature is designed to help transgender users of the site, and now has 50 options, including 'cisgender,' 'transgender' and 'intersex'.

The site has also updated its setting to allow users to select a neutral pronoun referring to them as they, their or them.

FACEBOOK'S FIFTY CHOICES

Agender
Androgyne
Androgynous
Bigender
Cis
Cis Female
Cis Male
Cis Man
Cis Woman
Cisgender
Cisgender Female
Cisgender Male
Cisgender Man
Cisgender Woman
Female to Male
FTM
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Male to Female
MTF
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Trans
Trans Female
Trans Male
Trans Man
Trans Person
Trans*Female
Trans*Male
Trans*Man
Trans*Person
Trans*Woman
Transexual
Transexual Female
Transexual Male
Transexual Man
Transexual Person
Transexual Woman
Transgender Female
Transgender Person
Transmasculine
Two-spirit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJg-XS4Xk-s

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2558768/APNewsBreak-New-gender-options-Facebook-users.html

Caismeachd
02-14-2014, 03:36 AM
I suppose it's a good way for them to create controversy to try and draw more attention to their failing/dying site.

Hierarchalist
02-14-2014, 03:48 AM
There should be only three options

1. Male
2. Female
3. Subhuman

DeaththeKid
02-14-2014, 03:52 AM
What the fuck is this crap

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 03:58 AM
Its fabulous really, all my friends were positively ecstatic :-)

Hierarchalist
02-14-2014, 03:59 AM
Its fabulous really, all my friends were positively ecstatic :-)

Disgusting...

SkyBurn
02-14-2014, 04:00 AM
It won't affect anybody other than the people it applies to. Who cares?

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 04:02 AM
I suppose it's a good way for them to create controversy to try and draw more attention to their failing/dying site.

No its not trans groups have been campaigning for a couple years but even more so last year for the options. A Transwoman was in charge of the project and was in support of it.

I means its SF, I know over a dozen transgender tech workers from startups to Facebook to google.

There are probably a couple hundred trans techies in all the bay some of whom are working with Transgender organizations.

Y'all into conspiracies too much

ChocolateFace
02-14-2014, 04:02 AM
This world is fucked.

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 04:03 AM
Disgusting...

Ooooohhhhh I am sooo hurt no one has eeevvvvveeeerrr said that too me before :cry

Sike, we here to stay deal with it.

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 04:05 AM
It won't affect anybody other than the people it applies to. Who cares?

I think people are pissed because we put "cis-" on there but its optional so I don't know why folks are so mad.

Weedman
02-14-2014, 04:07 AM
No its not trans groups have been campaigning for a couple years but even more so last year for the options. A Transwoman was in charge of the project and was in support of it.

a transwoman?.........you mean just a guy who was castrated.

and wtf is cisgender?

portusaus
02-14-2014, 04:08 AM

and wtf is cisgender?

"Cisgender" = "sane" in Queerglish

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 04:08 AM

and wtf is cisgender?

A Transwoman as in someone who identifies as such.

Cis is the opposite of Trans

Hierarchalist
02-14-2014, 04:09 AM
This world is fucked.

The liberal loons are DP'ing the already fucked up slut....lol

Wadaad
02-14-2014, 04:11 AM

They are trying to be relevant outside the 3rd world (the only place fb is growing)

btw not only is fb dying...but the whole 'social media' phenomena is going out

ChocolateFace
02-14-2014, 04:19 AM
but the whole 'social media' phenomena is going out

Thankfully.

I wonder what the next new fad is, I'll make sure not to jump on it because 95% chance it will be moronic.

silentkiller
02-14-2014, 04:56 AM
Zuckerberg has to add explanations with pictures near to the every option.
Too much attention to perverts (and just sick people) nowadays.
It's sad - when my parents were young, they were interested in creation of something new, something useful to society...
And now this... The humanity is degrading?

eatdapoopoo
02-14-2014, 05:00 AM
Lmfao that is so fucking funny!

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 05:03 AM
Zuckerberg has to add explanations with pictures near to the every option.
Too much attention to perverts (and just sick people) nowadays.
It's sad - when my parents were young, they were interested in creation of something new, something useful to society...
And now this... The humanity is degrading?

Are parents generation mastered SRS so yes something useful for society :-)

MINARDOWICZ
02-14-2014, 05:07 AM
WTF is Facebook doing? Facebook can be used quite positively. I would know. I used to use it a lot to grow in Entomological knowledge and collab with people world wide but it is has been slower lately. Facebook is getting... eh.. not as good, though I still use it to communicate with people.

MINARDOWICZ
02-14-2014, 05:11 AM
Not for long... Once the shooting starts your likes will be some of the first to go. Deal with it.

Not cool brah... Think what you want about the whole trans community in general or just KidMulat but that ain't cool to say.

eatdapoopoo
02-14-2014, 05:18 AM
Ooooohhhhh I am sooo hurt no one has eeevvvvveeeerrr said that too me before :cry

Sike, we here to stay deal with it.

Wow being coddled by the diversity racket, that is something to be so proud of!

Sarmatian
02-14-2014, 05:20 AM
Not cool brah... Think what you want about the whole trans community in general or just KidMulat but that ain't cool to say.

Just stating the obvious. People in general are indifferent to freaks but if one constantly waving his freakness in the faces of normal average folk them folk gets really aggravated. The only reason these freaks getting away with it today is because it's illegal to kill them. Loosen a laws a little bit and there will be murders.

eatdapoopoo
02-14-2014, 05:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtrxW-sXv8g

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Not for long... Once the shooting starts your likes will be some of the first to go. Deal with it.

Popped up in every continent around the world, popped up in roman times, disappeared a few centuries after the fall and came back in Italy in the 18th century and have been their since,

I ain't scared of your words, in fact I see them as a challenge cause I will let no man stop me from being honest with myself. Now whatchu gon do now? :love0003:

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 06:31 AM
WTF is Facebook doing? Facebook can be used quite positively. I would know. I used to use it a lot to grow in Entomological knowledge and collab with people world wide but it is has been slower lately. Facebook is getting... eh.. not as good, though I still use it to communicate with people.

I think its nice they made polyamory options possible tho, I wouldn't engage in it but some of my friends do and its sucked they can't be like other committed and consenting relationships.

Sarmatian
02-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Popped up in every continent around the world, popped up in roman times, disappeared a few centuries after the fall and came back in Italy in the 18th century and have been their since,

I ain't scared of your words, in fact I see them as a challenge cause I will let no man stop me from being honest with myself. Now whatchu gon do now? :love0003:

Never had an intention to scare you, just wanted to bring you down to earth. You can be honest to yourself so long as you keep it to yourself, not many people in this world are interested in what color of panties you wear and quite a few may overreact if you'll force such information on them.

As for me I ain't going to give a damn. Just going to stand aside and watch the show... so long as them freaks are away from my family.

silentkiller
02-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Are parents generation mastered SRS so yes something useful for society :-)

Maybe your parents mastered it, not mines.

Raven_
02-14-2014, 07:05 AM
What does cis even mean?

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Maybe your parents mastered it, not mines.

You said the previous generation so like just letting you know our parent's generation was the generation that actually made the first key steps.

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 07:07 AM
What does cis even mean?

Not trans. Trans means "across" and cis basically means "stay" as in stay within the gender assigned to you at birth.

Mjod
02-14-2014, 07:09 AM

Well I came here to say this...

silentkiller
02-14-2014, 07:10 AM
You said the previous generation so like just letting you know our parent's generation was the generation that actually made the first key steps.

My parents are not so young, my dad has 60 years old. I don't think they made first steps, especially living in USSR.

Raven_
02-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Not trans. Trans means "across" and cis basically means "stay" as in stay within the gender assigned to you at birth.

How does a cis male differ from a cisgender male?

Methmatician
02-14-2014, 07:11 AM
What does the asterisk mean?

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 07:16 AM
How does a cis male differ from a cisgender male?

No, its like trans man and transgender man, its just shorthand.

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 07:20 AM
What does the asterisk mean?

Instead of using all those terms the * is used to mean anyone not cis. Some find it pointless because most proponents believe trans by itself is a umbrella term while some transsexuals don't like it because they don't want to be aligned with trans people.

Methmatician
02-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Instead of using all those terms the * is used to mean anyone not cis. Some find it pointless because most proponents believe trans by itself is a umbrella term while some transsexuals don't like it because they don't want to be aligned with trans people.

So what's the difference between 'Trans Female' and 'Trans*Female'?

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 07:27 AM
So what's the difference between 'Trans Female' and 'Trans*Female'?

Both are the same basically but some folks prefer the * because they feel its more inclusive.

Remember there aren't too many of us out so being inclusive is in my opinion a benefit; some however don't agree and basically feel its bad for us to see ourselves as part of community just because we are transgender.

silentkiller
02-14-2014, 07:31 AM
When I see gays on the streets, I experience different feelings.
Sometimes it's funny (like some male comedians, who dress as women and want to be taken seriously) or unpleasant surprise (like when you see some inadequate schizophrenics, when they demonstrate their pathology as is the norm). They are just unhappy, sick people. Why do I think so?
Ask yourself the question - what for then they prove to the world their right to be happy? It's idiotic and when they force you to respect them, it causes the opposite effect - rejection, like all unnatural. And yes, I do not care what do homosexuals on this thread opinion on it, I don't wanna make pointless discussion :)

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 07:33 AM
When I see gays on the streets, I experience different feelings.
Sometimes it's funny (like some male comedians, who dress as women and want to be taken seriously) or unpleasant surprise (like when you see some inadequate schizophrenics, when they demonstrate their pathology as is the norm). They are just unhappy, sick people. Why do I think so?
Ask yourself the question - what for then they prove to the world their right to be happy? It's idiotic and when they force you to respect them, it causes the opposite effect - rejection, like all unnatural. And yes, I do not care what do homosexuals on this thread opinion on it, I don't wanna make pointless discussion :)

People fight to be treated like a human, people are unhappy because they are disrespected and attacked. You may not agree but I don't get how some act like its a mystery.

Incal
02-14-2014, 07:41 AM
btw not only is fb dying...but the whole 'social media' phenomena is going out

Bout time!

Sarmatian
02-14-2014, 09:06 AM
All this change on the FB is just another example of average normal majority being forced to learn about some weird stuff just for the sake of a few freaks. I'm a straight male, I know there are males, females and freaks and I don't want to know anything else. It's not part of my life and I don't want me or my family being exposed to information related to issues of very few people. Just because it's not a concern of my.

But now I have no choice but to read all the crap on the difference between 'trans' and 'cis' and why some 'trans' people do not like the term 'trans' being used on them... :fwhat: :twitch:

Screw dat

People fight to be treated like a human, people are unhappy because they are disrespected and attacked. You may not agree but I don't get how some act like its a mystery.

That's a good illustration of the difference between normal people and freaks. When normal people are being disrespected and attacked they either walk away or fight back, but immature freaks start crying around how they are mistreated.

Grow a pair... if you can :laugh:

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 09:30 AM
That's a good illustration of the difference between normal people and freaks. When normal people are being disrespected and attacked they either walk away or fight back, but immature freaks start crying around how they are mistreated.

Are you serious? The Christian Right in the US are going nuts right now and bitching every step of the way claiming they are having their rights infringed upon and fighting tooth and nail to essential kill/displace LGBT people.

LGBT folks are fight back as you can plainly see and folks are learning :-)

Kick rocks!

Raven_
02-14-2014, 09:32 AM
But now I have no choice but to read all the crap on the difference between 'trans' and 'cis' and why some 'trans' people do not like the term 'trans' being used on them... :fwhat: :twitch:

Screw dat

I feel the same way.
I have a sucpect some of those confused people will remian confused no matter what....

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 09:43 AM
I feel the same way.
I have a sucpect some of those confused people will remian confused no matter what....

But you don't; you asked questions, you didn't have to know what it meant and because of that you requested and answer.

That is not force.

Methmatician
02-14-2014, 09:45 AM

I don't want to get too much into the discussion but your argument shows you lack perspective. In most countries the 'normal people' have the law backing them if they are attacked. Imagine in 'normal' country if a 'freak' employer wouldn't employ 'normal people'. The employer would have to answer to the law. If the roles were reversed then the 'normal' employer could continue to discriminate and anyone one who wanted to stop that wouldn't be able to.

Sarmatian
02-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Are you serious? The Christian Right in the US are going nuts right now and bitching every step of the way claiming they are having their rights infringed upon and fighting tooth and nail to essential kill/displace LGBT people.

LGBT folks are fight back as you can plainly see and folks are learning :-)

Kick rocks!

I'm not talking about political movements but rather about tendencies in behavior of individuals. Your very own never-ending whining here is a good example.

I don't want to get too much into the discussion but your argument shows you lack perspective. In most countries the 'normal people' have the law backing them if they are attacked. Imagine in 'normal' country if a 'freak' employer wouldn't employ 'normal people'. The employer would have to answer to the law. If the roles were reversed then the 'normal' employer could continue to discriminate and anyone one who wanted to stop that wouldn't be able to.

I don't have to imagine anything. Part of my job is to hire and train right people for certain positions at the company I'm working for. I can easily discriminate against any of them just because I don't like candidate's face or voice or smell. I can make up any excuse for my decision while my real reasons will never come up if I don't want them to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not abusing my powers. The point is it's very easy thing to do to anyone and there is no chance anyone can catch me doing it. The presence of laws against discrimination only results in slight change of employer tactics, it doesn't resolve an issue of discrimination. I'm still pretty much free to do as I pleased when hiring someone.

In any case regardless of my reasons normal people just suck it up and move on to search for something else. Only freaks come up with various complaints of discrimination while my decision is perfectly reasonable.

Methmatician
02-14-2014, 11:30 AM
II don't have to imagine anything. Part of my job is to hire and train right people for certain positions at the company I'm working for. I can easily discriminate against any of them just because I don't like candidate's face or voice or smell. I can make up any excuse for my decision while my real reasons will never come up if I don't want them to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not abusing my powers. The point is it's very easy thing to do to anyone and there is no chance anyone can catch me doing it. The presence of laws against discrimination only results in slight change of employer tactics, it doesn't resolve an issue of discrimination. I'm still pretty much free to do as I pleased when hiring someone.
It doesn't just cover work. How you're treated in public, by the government, etc. Not too long ago your country would send people who favoured democracies where citizens vote for their leaders to re-education camps and label them 'kosmopolitans' for having such ideas. Now your country is just like that. It isn't just about gender, it's about anyone who is oppressed for simply having opinions or being who they are even though it doesn't hurt others whether it be about gender, politics, religion, race, ethnicity, sex, age, or ability.

In any case regardless of my reasons normal people just suck it up and move on to search for something else. Only freaks come up with various complaints of discrimination while my decision is perfectly reasonable.
If 'normal' people never complained then your country never would have had two revolutions in the same year :rolleyes2:

Raven_
02-14-2014, 11:31 AM
But you don't; you asked questions, you didn't have to know what it meant and because of that you requested and answer.

That is not force.

I should have specified I do not have in mind this thread in particular. I don't want to know anything about homosexual or trans issues. You may say that I should not have clicked to view this thread. However, it sounded way too weird.

Thank you for answers, but I still feel amused by this sex / gender variety neverthless.

Sarmatian
02-14-2014, 11:44 AM
It doesn't just cover work. How you're treated in public, by the government, etc. Not too long ago your country would send people who favoured democracies where citizens vote for their leaders to re-education camps and label them 'kosmopolitans' for having such ideas. Now your country is just like that. It isn't just about gender, it's about anyone who is oppressed for simply having opinions or being who they are even though it doesn't hurt others whether it be about gender, politics, religion, race, ethnicity, sex, age, or ability.

If 'normal' people never complained then your country never would have had two revolutions in the same year :rolleyes2:

Just LOL

It has nothing to do with Russia, I live and work in NZ.

Anti-discrimination laws doesn't do shit. If people do not want to follow them they will always find ways around. It's always up to attitudes of individuals so brainwashing and propaganda works much much better that any sort of regulations.

Methmatician
02-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Just LOL

It has nothing to do with Russia, I live and work in NZ.
I always thought you regarded Russia as 'your country', or maybe I mistook you for a Russian.

Anti-discrimination laws doesn't do shit. If people do not want to follow them they will always find ways around. It's always up to attitudes of individuals so brainwashing and propaganda works much much better that any sort of regulations.
This isn't just workplace discrimination, it discrimination in every aspect of life. Btw, brainwashing is when you tell people to believe something for no reason, just to do it. They've given you a reason; because everyone deserves to be treated fairly. Remember the golden rule? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Sarmatian
02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
I always thought you regarded Russia as 'your country', or maybe I mistook you for a Russian.

It's largely irrelevant. The important part is that even in supposedly one of the most democratic countries in the world discrimination is very much possible regardless of laws.

This isn't just workplace discrimination, it discrimination in every aspect of life. Btw, brainwashing is when you tell people to believe something for no reason, just to do it. They've given you a reason; because everyone deserves to be treated fairly.

Spare me from this crap. People should be judged by their merits. There is nothing you or me deserves by default and that includes a fair treatment.

Remember the golden rule? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

:picard2: Huge fail.

Following your logic if a fag want to be banged in the ass he have to bang some other fella :loco:

The rule says: 'Don't do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you.' -Confucius

Can you see the difference, wonderboy? :rolleyes:

RussiaPrussia
02-14-2014, 02:33 PM
facebook is a joke

use this much better

http://vk.com/

Longbowman
02-14-2014, 02:36 PM

1. Male
2. Female
3. Subhuman

Who would choose option 3?

rhiannon
02-14-2014, 02:43 PM
No skin off my back lol.
It's not as if FB has tried to do what Sweden did with male/female identifiers.

I don't see the big fuss at all.

Grateful I don't have to live with Gender Dysmorphic Disorder. It's got to be hell for a person because they have to spend their days dealing with folks the like of some of the posters here lol

Methmatician
02-14-2014, 11:53 PM
It's largely irrelevant. The important part is that even in supposedly one of the most democratic countries in the world discrimination is very much possible regardless of laws.
Discrimination is always possible, but much more difficult with the law on your side.

Spare me from this crap. People should be judged by their merits. There is nothing you or me deserves by default and that includes a fair treatment.
So we should treat every single person we meet like shit unless they can become our friend? You sound like an angsty teenager.

Following your logic if a fag want to be banged in the ass he have to bang some other fella :loco:
Well I'd assume if two gay men were having sex it would be a give and take sort of thing.

Incal
02-15-2014, 05:33 AM

1. Male
2. Female
3. SubhumanWho would choose option 3?

Triracials and Alpignids.

Óttar
02-15-2014, 05:47 AM
As long as they don't force me to identify as a "cis" man then I don't give a fuck. Maybe it will open people's minds a bit.

Longbowman
02-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Triracials and Alpignids.

Even they wouldn't voluntarily identify as such.

Beit El
02-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Facebook is owned and created by a Jew who fits all the stereotypes (selling personal information, spying, restricting freedom of speech, went to a good university thanks to rich parents etc). Don't tell me you didn't see this coming.