PDA

View Full Version : Can India ever learn to love football?

Loki
02-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Can India ever learn to love football? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-26143796)

Fifa president Sepp Blatter once called India the 'sleeping giant' of football. With the world's second largest population, many feel India is under represented in the world's most popular sport. For One Square Mile, Tim Samuels set out to see if India can ever learn to play and love the beautiful game.

If the kids playing cricket on a piece of rural scrubland are anything to go by, then the omens are not good.

"Football is trash," shouts one young boy, no more than ten years old.

Indeed, none of the dozen or so youngsters has even heard of Barcelona, Liverpool or the Manchester clubs. There is not a flicker of recognition at the names Messi or Ronaldo.

What makes this all the more ominous for those championing football in India is that the kids are playing cricket on a piece of land barely a mile (kilometre) or two from the training ground of the local football club Pune FC, a team which plays in India's top league.

The challenge for football is considerable, notwithstanding a TV fan base for international football of some 80 million.

Despite its British imperial heritage and potential pool of talent among its 1.2 billion population, India has a distinct lack of footballing prowess, at least for its home-grown talent.

Currently the national team languishes in 156th spot in Fifa's rankings, tied with Liechtenstein (population 36,000) and just below St Vincent and the Grenadines (population 103,000).

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/72940000/jpg/_72940166_kidsplayingcricket.jpg
Children playing cricket is a much more common sight in India

Though India qualified in 1950, they have never actually made it to the World Cup. They refused to participate, partly because it would have meant their normally barefoot team having to wear football boots.

Not a single player in the current national squad plays for any of the big teams outside their home country.

But there are serious moves afoot to ignite a footballing passion in India.

In 2007, the I-League was formed - the equivalent of the English Premier League - perhaps mindful of Asian footballing success in the likes of Japan and South Korea.

Pune FC, formed by the Mumbai-based Ashok Piramal group, a major Indian family business, is one of the 14 teams in the I-League.

Located about 150km (90 miles) from Mumbai, Pune is one of India's fastest growing cities, packed with hi-tech and high-rises.

This is the modern face of India and, not surprisingly, it is seen as a fertile city in which to seed a new football club in this nascent league.

Just up the road from the cricket-crazy youngsters who had never heard of Manchester United or Barcelona, Anand Piramal surveys his team on the training pitch ahead of their next match.

The young British-educated Liverpool FC-obsessed businessman is the club's owner and is messianic about bringing football to the masses.

'Passion'

He has brought in a Dutch manager and several overseas players. Some with English Premier League experience are part of the first team.

"It's just passion for the sport," says Piramal, explaining his decision to start the team.

"Following European football, following the English Premier League is a lot of fun but we thought being in India let's do something for Indian football."

The vision is still in its early stages. The training ground would be on a par with that of a lower league English club - as are the attendances.

For a Pune FC match later that week, a game that could have seen them go top of the league, the crowd numbered a mere few thousand.

But future success may rest on extending the club's reach and that of home-grown football across the country by looking at where the real passion is coming from.

Amongst those cheering on Pune were youngsters from the poorest sections of society - orphans and slum kids - who, like many in the crowd, were bussed in by the club. After all, it is hard to develop a following from scratch.

The club says it wants to be open to all sections of society. Anand Piramel says his talent scouts are working with NGOs and will be sent to local slums.

"It's important we get local kids coming through the system. Sport in general has the ability to cut across caste - which in India is a big thing - religion, anything."

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/72940000/jpg/_72940164_youngfootballers01.jpg
Football hopefuls in one of Pune's slums

Slum players

After all, footballing passion has traditionally been most intense amongst society's poorest, kids who dream of being the next Maradona or Messi - to escape from however humble a background.

You do not have to tell this to the kids in a slum just a couple of miles from the centre of Pune. Nor do you have to tell them who Man City, Man United or Barcelona are.

Of the 500 or so slums in Pune, I found one that is probably the most football fanatic - replete with their own club, Sukhai FC.

The pitch may be a patch of land prone to the wanderings of cattle and the odd scooter, but the dedication to football is impressive.

Older residents of the slum coach the youth team, the kit area is paid for from the salary of the manager and they all dream of playing for their local club, Pune FC.

"If I can't become a footballer then I can't live," says a 15-year-old boy clad in the Liverpool-red of Pune.

A fellow Pune fan adds: "I want to study and play football because I want to become something after I grow up. I want to be someone."

Most young people his age in India might say the same about cricket, which still has a stranglehold on national obsession.

But if India can start to produce a few Maradonas from the slums - homegrown heroes to propel a nation's pride - then the sleeping football giant might just start to stir.

And India might one day even make it to the World Cup.

GrebluBro
02-16-2014, 05:58 AM
I know many Indians following Premier (English, Italy, Spanish, German) league games and also FIFA world cup.
90+ % of them just watch and never play :)

I'm pretty sure, interest to play soccer is increasing but currently extremely low comparing to majority of world countries.

Most Indian parents won't let their children involve in sports during childhood because of emphasis on education and the belief that there is nothing gainful from sports.

Cricket can be played virtually at any place (regardless of size) in the world if there are at least 2 players.

Short-game (3 hours) format of Cricket is now very popular, and that game is as much interesting as soccer.

May be after 3 decades (one generation later), we can see Indian soccer team like current Mexican (at max) team or something.

There is a popular belief that Indian physique is not compatible enough to play the best soccer in order to beat powerful opponents. I'm not agreeing with this though.

Loki
02-16-2014, 06:03 AM
they love but won't play :)

Why not? :)

Prisoner Of Ice
02-16-2014, 06:07 AM
Soccer is boring and lame. It's for people who can't handle anything more complicated.

GrebluBro
02-16-2014, 06:07 AM
Why not? :)

I just expanded my previous opinion..do check it

Arcadefire
02-16-2014, 06:12 AM
India is not a sporting nation.

Arcadefire
02-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Lol southasian you faggot, must you thumb down every thing I say?

GrebluBro
02-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Lol southasian you faggot, must you thumb down every thing I say?

Asshole, if I don't agree with your shit.. I'll thumb down, particularly calling blatantly India as not a sporting nation..
India do well in some sports.. they are getting better in others...they are not totally useless you dumbass

Mortimer
02-16-2014, 06:23 AM
I hope india would play good football, then i make myself a bag of pop corn and cheer for india in 2014 world championship, or maybe thats still too early and it will be in 2018 hopefully in my life time. go india go

GrebluBro
02-16-2014, 06:27 AM
I hope india would play good football, then i make myself a bag of pop corn and cheer for india in 2044 world championship, or maybe thats still too early and it will be in 2048 hopefully in my life time. go india go

Fixed :)

Arcadefire
02-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Asshole, if I don't agree with your shit.. I'll thumb down, particularly calling blatantly India as not a sporting nation..
India do well in some sports.. they are getting better in others...they are not totally useless you dumbass

lol why are you angry? India a nation of billions has won how many medals in the olympics? Just because they are not a sporting nation does not mean that they are somehow lesser than other countries. Indians and south asians do not pursue careers in sports (aside from cricket) because professional athletes in India and surrounding countries do not make a lot of money. Stop being so god damn butthurt about everything. Learn to take things objectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXiq0Bnz_c

asingh
02-17-2014, 05:20 AM
Sports as a career is non-typical here in India. We lack the infrastructure and local governance and support. It is just Cricket, which is upheld by a private body: BCCI. That is about it.

Vojnik
02-17-2014, 05:41 AM
Soccer is boring and lame. It's for people who can't handle anything more complicated.

Nowhere near as boring as NFL (grid iron) and baseball. It is the complete opposite of lame and requires a whole range of physical and mental abbilities.

And don't call it soccer, it's called Football for gods sake.

I think Indians are just racially not suited to play Football. They can't run, jump or kick a ball for some reason.

asingh
02-17-2014, 05:42 AM
I think Indians are just racially not suited to play Football. They can't run, jump or kick a ball for some reason.

Honestly, that scientific statement, truly sounds spot-on..!

Gauthier
02-17-2014, 05:43 AM
I hope they never learn. Soccer is such a shitty sport.

Vojnik
02-17-2014, 05:44 AM
Honestly, that scientific statement, truly sounds spot-on..!

Well, you guys are good at cricket. That's for sure.

Incal
02-17-2014, 05:48 AM

Yeah because this is much more complicated lol:

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/archive/storage/images/media/images/2011/0207-weekly/0207-asuper-superbowl/9485163-1-eng-US/0207-ASUPER-SUPERBOWL_full_600.jpg

Vojnik
02-17-2014, 05:51 AM

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/archive/storage/images/media/images/2011/0207-weekly/0207-asuper-superbowl/9485163-1-eng-US/0207-ASUPER-SUPERBOWL_full_600.jpg

Softer too. Look at the helmets and pads they wear.

Loki
02-17-2014, 05:58 AM

Lame, soft Americans. They wouldn't last in rugby - a truly manly game - against countries like New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

Prisoner Of Ice
02-17-2014, 07:14 AM
Lame, soft Americans. They wouldn't last in rugby - a truly manly game - against countries like New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

After a few dozen years per year they started to use pads. Somehow rugby homos never had that issue.

Loki
02-17-2014, 08:41 AM
After a few dozen years per year they started to use pads. Somehow rugby homos never had that issue.

Rugby homos? lol :p

Äijä
02-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Ne.

Not eating enough meat? They do seem weak physically.

GrebluBro
02-17-2014, 09:05 AM

I'm a vegetarian and proud of it :P
For 2000+ years, about 1/3rd of Indians and their descendants never had meat

even other Indians take meat in just one or two meals a week => kinda negligible

All these explains their physique :)

Vojnik
02-17-2014, 10:31 AM

They have so much respect for cows that they allow them to freely cross roads, while they disturb traffic on a mass scale. Eating it is some sought of sin in Hinduism. Eating meat is a rarity for them. That's why their nation is so bad at sport (except cricket). Lack of protein.

Äijä
02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm a vegetarian and proud of it :P
For 2000+ years, about 1/3rd of Indians and their descendants never had meat

even other Indians take meat in just one or two meals a week => kinda negligible

All these explains their physique :)

What about the warrior caste members?

GrebluBro
02-17-2014, 12:46 PM
What about the warrior caste members?

they are relatively bigger and don't represent much population. Plus, their stuff is exaggerated a lot

Most importantly, their women similar to other Indian women in consuming food. So not much difference can be seen in India collectively cuz of warrior caste/

Loki
02-17-2014, 12:54 PM
They have so much respect for cows that they allow them to freely cross roads, while they disturb traffic on a mass scale. Eating it is some sought of sin in Hinduism. Eating meat is a rarity for them. That's why their nation is so bad at sport (except cricket). Lack of protein.

Respect for cows is good. But vegetarianism not.

GrebluBro
02-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Respect for cows is good. But vegetarianism not.

Sometimes I want to give up being vegetarian with an exception of not eating Beef.

DeaththeKid
02-17-2014, 01:09 PM

Most Indians are poor so their diet is not meat heavy and many are vegetarian. I've noticed that Indians who eat properly get tall and many of them are well built.

Loki
02-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Sometimes I want to give up being vegetarian with an exception of not eating Beef.

Meat protein is really essential for muscle growth.

Linebacker
02-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Fuck soccer,they should learn American football,now thats a sport worth playing.

Lurker
02-17-2014, 06:41 PM
I know many Indians following Premier (English, Italy, Spanish, German) league games and also FIFA world cup.
90+ % of them just watch and never play :)

I'm pretty sure, interest to play soccer is increasing but currently extremely low comparing to majority of world countries.

Most Indian parents won't let their children involve in sports during childhood because of emphasis on education and the belief that there is nothing gainful from sports.

Cricket can be played virtually at any place (regardless of size) in the world if there are at least 2 players.

Short-game (3 hours) format of Cricket is now very popular, and that game is as much interesting as soccer.

May be after 3 decades (one generation later), we can see Indian soccer team like current Mexican (at max) team or something.

There is a popular belief that Indian physique is not compatible enough to play the best soccer in order to beat powerful opponents. I'm not agreeing with this though.

Football is the easiest game to be played, meaning it requires the least resources/equipment. In Brazil (and in some places in Africa) people play football with two sandals as goalposts and with a bunch of socks pressed together to form a ball (I know I did lol). There are several games that are akin to football that Brazilians play on the streets and beaches.

Brazilian football games on the streets also last as long as people want. When I was a kid I remember people not actually caring about the score and deciding, when the moms decided to call us back to our homes for dinner, that the team who scored the next goal was going to be the winner lol.

brazuca
02-21-2014, 02:21 AM
Nowhere near as boring as NFL (grid iron) and baseball. It is the complete opposite of lame and requires a whole range of physical and mental abbilities.

And don't call it soccer, it's called Football for gods sake.

I do not know what is NFL!:laugh:

Shah-Jehan
02-21-2014, 02:27 AM
Definitely not in Bengal, football still by far is almost on par with cricket in terms of popularity even though the former is neglected. The second largest football stadium in the world is in Calcutta, Bengal: Salt Lake Stadium.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Salt_Lake_Stadium_-_Yuva_Bharati_Krirangan_%2C_Kolkata_-_Calcutta_5.jpg/800px-Salt_Lake_Stadium_-_Yuva_Bharati_Krirangan_%2C_Kolkata_-_Calcutta_5.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_Stadium

And in Indian football leagues, teams from Bengal are in top form and most of them have history going back to the early 20th century and some even to the 19th century.

Popular football clubs from West Bengal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohun_Bagan_A.C.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammedan_S.C._(Kolkata)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Bengal_F.C.

from East Bengal(Bangladesh):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammedan_Sporting_Club_(Dhaka)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abahani_Limited_(Dhaka)

brazuca
02-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Football is the easiest game to be played, meaning it requires the least resources/equipment. In Brazil (and in some places in Africa) people play football with two sandals as goalposts and with a bunch of socks pressed together to form a ball (I know I did lol). There are several games that are akin to football that Brazilians play on the streets and beaches.

Brazilian football games on the streets also last as long as people want. When I was a kid I remember people not actually caring about the score and deciding, when the moms decided to call us back to our homes for dinner, that the team who scored the next goal was going to be the winner lol.

It's called street football is common throughout south america and africa, but no longer exists in europe, beach football is not popular because the minority of the population live on the beach. I never saw a "ball of rags"

GrebluBro
02-21-2014, 02:39 AM
///

Did you check world soccer rankings of India and Bangladesh?

That matters above everything

GrebluBro
02-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Bangladesh 164, Pakistan 165

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=ban/ranking/gender=m/

India 154

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=ind/ranking/gender=m/

Arcadefire
02-21-2014, 02:55 AM
Good on India for being ranked 150! Certainly above the likes of Bangladesh and Pakistan. It shows that India's starting 11 out of a pool of 2 billion people are far superior!

brazuca
02-21-2014, 02:58 AM
Bangladesh 164, Pakistan 165

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=ban/ranking/gender=m/

India 154

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=ind/ranking/gender=m/

curious that all Anglos colonies are considered one trash in football!!:wink

GrebluBro
02-21-2014, 02:59 AM
Good on India for being ranked 150! Certainly above the likes of Bangladesh and Pakistan. It shows that India's starting 11 out of a pool of 2 billion people are far superior!

China rank 88

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=chn/ranking/gender=m/

Arcadefire
02-21-2014, 03:00 AM
China rank 88

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=chn/ranking/gender=m/

Good for china too!

Arcadefire
02-21-2014, 03:01 AM

England is pretty good. Top 10 team and all that.

brazuca
02-21-2014, 03:24 AM
England is pretty good. Top 10 team and all that.

the england is a dump your league is powered by foreigners, how long the England team gets nothing?

Pjeter Pan
02-21-2014, 03:40 AM
Two grown men in tights, grasping each others bodily parts to the ground is complicated?

Dorian
02-21-2014, 03:44 AM
Football is for hot blooded and passionate people..that's why it's loved by mediterranean-balkan and south american nations.It just makes you feel some unique emotions!it's not for cold-bloaded nations or submissive ones!the ones above have it in their culture,it's so important for some as religion is to others.The rest groups who have some of the best footballers and clubs/national teams it's because of their discipline and mentality(like western and northern europeans)or their physical abilities(like africans)but this fu**in sport is made for the ones above!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV81FzNNHps

Loki
02-21-2014, 04:25 AM

They play rugby instead.

Prisoner Of Ice
02-21-2014, 04:32 AM
Two grown men in tights, grasping each others bodily parts to the ground is complicated?

Martial art of wrestling more complicated than gay boys kicking a ball around? lol, of course.

brazuca
02-21-2014, 05:05 AM
They play rugby instead.

Football is more popular than rugby in south africa which is a white sport.

Loki
02-21-2014, 05:09 AM
Football is more popular than rugby in south africa which is a white sport.

Of course, black people play football whereas white people play rugby.

Wadaad
02-21-2014, 05:13 AM

Why deny reality? India had a long established football presence (from the time football was developed by the British) so it's not unfamiliarity with the sport that makes Indians suck at it. India even qualified to the 1950 World cup, but was disqualified because they didnt bring shoes :lol:

Skerdilaid
02-21-2014, 05:15 AM
Why deny reality? India had a long established football presence (from the time football was developed by the British) so it's not unfamiliarity with the sport that makes Indians suck at it. India even qualified to the 1950 World cup, but was disqualified because they didnt bring shoes :lol:

LOL did that seriously happen?

GrebluBro
02-21-2014, 05:15 AM

Kabaddi (never knew it? learn today) is more interesting, in which India is unbeatable Champion..

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?115984-Kabaddi-World-Cup-2013

brazuca
02-21-2014, 05:23 AM
Of course, black people play football whereas white people play rugby.

how do you explains the team from south africa be so bad in football, if it is the most popular sport in the country?

Loki
02-21-2014, 05:34 AM
how do you explains the team from south africa be so bad in football, if it is the most popular sport in the country?

European nations (and Brazil) have always been the best at football. No African nation has ever come close.

brazuca
02-21-2014, 05:49 AM
European nations (and Brazil) have always been the best at football. No African nation has ever come close.

The only European countries that are good at football are "italy" and "Germany" the Spain has not been nobody until 2008, France also is nothing without zidane england live the conquest of 1966.

Loki
02-21-2014, 05:51 AM
The only European countries that are good at football are "italy" and "Germany" the Spain has not been nobody until 2008, France also is nothing without zidane england live the conquest of 1966.

Netherlands is really good too.

Caismeachd
02-21-2014, 06:01 AM
Indian culture isn't really all that competative. Europeans have a killer instinct. All of us European males are living on that killer instict line just one step away.

Wadaad
02-21-2014, 06:02 AM
LOL did that seriously happen?

http://i.imgur.com/0Tnbldo.jpg

http://www.omg-facts.com/Sports/India-qualified-for-the-1950-World-Cup-b/7647

brazuca
02-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Netherlands is really good too.

yeah i remember well the netherlands! and you forgot about the argentina and uruguay

Incal
02-21-2014, 03:52 PM

Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana and Ivory Coast have had good performances.

Wadaad
02-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Also Senegal in 2002...Morocco in 1986 and Algeria in 1982 for the North African sides.

But yes, Bafana Bafana suck :lol:

RenaRyuguu
09-04-2019, 06:00 PM
oh my why not that means more money for Euro football