PDA

View Full Version : 2 Palestinian teen amputees scale Mt. Kilimanjaro

Farah
02-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Thought it was some heartwarming news to read amid everything else.

http://www.thenational.ae/storyimage/AB/20140130/ARTICLE/140139875/AR/0/AR-140139875.jpg&MaxW=460&imageVersion=default

http://www.thenational.ae/uae-climber-leads-palestinian-teen-amputees-who-became-first-arabs-to-scale-kilimanjaro

DUBAI // It is a feat most able-bodied people would not even attempt – scaling Africa’s highest peak.

But Yasmeen Al Najjar, 17, and Mutasem Abu Karsh, 16, who each lost a leg as child victims of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, have become the first Arab amputee teenagers to scale Mount Kilimanjaro.

“It is the first time that I have felt truly free, no walls, no borders, no checkpoints and soldiers,” said Mutasem.

“The top of Kilimanjaro is called Uhuru Peak, which in Swahili means ‘Freedom’. Reaching the top gave me, as a Palestinian from Gaza, the feeling for the first time of complete freedom.”

During parts of the arduous 5,895-metre “Climb of Hope”, led by Dubai-based mountaineer Suzanne Al Houby, they had to remove their prosthetics, rely on just upper body strength and endure agonising pain to make progress.

“I want to show other kids like me that they can do anything that they put their minds to,” said Yasmeen, from the West Bank.

“I hope that what Mutasem and I did shows that kids can do anything if given the chance, even climb the highest mountains.”

They reached the top on Monday in the nine-day trek to raise money for the charity that gave them the prosthetic limbs.

“The climb was an incredible experience and challenge. I feel so blessed and humbled to be part of this,” said Ms Al Houby, a 46-year-old Palestinian who led the climb in Tanzania.

“I felt so proud of them and the team,” said Ms Al Houby, who in 2011 became the first Arab woman to scale Mount Everest.

“To see them believe in themselves and realise their potential is why I decided to do this in the first place. We need hope, and this whole project is about hope and a better tomorrow.”

Yasmeen was just 3 when her leg was amputated above the knee after an army lorry struck her while she was playing outside her home in Boreen, in the West Bank.

Mutasem lost his left leg and fingers of his left hand nine years ago when an Israeli tank shell exploded near him in Gaza.

Their disabilities were not the only challenges the teenagers had to face during their journey.

The trek saw them battle rough terrain and extreme weather to reach the peak and Yasmeen suffered severe pain navigating the mountain with her prosthesis.

“It brought different challenges. We had very unpredictable weather – a little bit of sunshine, lots of rain, wind and hail,” said Ms Al Houby.

“For Yasmeen, and because her amputation is above the knee, we had to make more stops, remove the prosthesis and check the stump. Long hours for her were an agony as she would always have to suffer and endure pain going down.

“My lows came while dressing Yasmeen’s bandage every morning and saw or felt the lightest skin irritation that could result in ending her climb. Luckily we were careful, took our time and always refreshed the bandaging so that no risk was taken with the condition of her stump.”

Mutasem faced his own battle when he almost could not join the team.

“Two days before the climb, we couldn’t get Mutasem out of Gaza,” said Ms Al Houby. “Borders closed and we had to make impossibly difficult diplomatic calls and appeals to get him out.”

Despite the setbacks, Ms Al Houby said the teenagers defied the odds to complete the challenge and said their actions would inspire teenagers across the world.

“These two got a second chance, and this is to raise awareness that lives can change if we can support and help such kids.”

The challenge aimed to raise Dh1million for the Palestinian Children’s Relief Fund.

“So far we have raised US$100,000 (Dh367,000) and we will continue our efforts to reach a bigger target in the months to come,” said Ms Al Houby.

According to the fund, a non-profit organisation providing free medical treatment to children in the Middle East, Yasmeen and Mutasem are the first Arab amputee teenagers to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro.

SkyBurn
02-20-2014, 05:35 AM
have become the first Arab amputee teenagers to scale Mount Kilimanjaro.

I can't say I'm surprised that they're the first. That's really quite an uncommon category.

Farah
02-20-2014, 05:38 AM
I can't say I'm surprised that they're the first. That's really quite an uncommon category.

Not really! There are alot in Palestine, Yemen, Lebanon for e.g.

Anglojew
02-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Inspiring.