PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela threatens to expel CNN over protest coverage

Loki
02-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Venezuela threatens to expel CNN over protest coverage (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-26283971)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73126000/jpg/_73126108_73126103.jpg

Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro has threatened to expel the US news network CNN from the country over its reporting of recent protests there.

Mr Maduro said he would take action if CNN did not "rectify its coverage".

Earlier, Mr Maduro said he was sending troops to the western state of Tachira, where there has been continuing unrest.

With tensions running high, the leader of the opposition, Henrique Capriles, has called for a fresh, peaceful anti-government march on Saturday.

There were reports of further clashes in the state of Tachira and in districts of the capital, Caracas.

At a news conference, Mr Capriles rejected violence and said he was ready for dialogue, but claimed the government was not willing to listen.

"In this turbulent hour, we call on the students and on those on the streets not to fall into the trap of violence," Mr Capriles said before showing several videos allegedly containing evidence of abuses by the security forces.

'War propaganda'

On national television, President Maduro accused his opponents of promoting violence.

He vowed to take the perpetrators of attacks against the Caracas metro, who were allegedly also caught on video, to court.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73125000/jpg/_73125897_73125896.jpg
President Nicolas Maduro accuses his opponents of being behind of acts of violence and vandalism

Mr Maduro also lashed out against the coverage of the protests by foreign news organisations.

"Enough war propaganda, I won't accept war propaganda against Venezuela. If they don't rectify themselves, out of Venezuela, CNN, out," he said.

A spokeswoman for the US network, only available on cable in Venezuela, told the BBC it did not have any immediate comments about Mr Maduro's comments.

Last week, the government removed Colombian TV news channel NTN24 from channels offered by Venezuelan cable operators.

The government has been highly critical of international media coverage, while protesters say they are concerned with a lack of media freedom, says the BBC's correspondent in Caracas, Irene Caselli.

Mr Maduro also ordered the expulsion of three US diplomats this week.

US President Barack Obama said the Venezuelan government should address "legitimate grievances" of the country instead of "making up false accusations" against US officials.

Earlier on Thursday, a Venezuelan court ordered that detained opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez remain in custody pending further hearings.

Mr Lopez of the opposition Popular Will party handed himself over to the authorities on Tuesday.

The government is charging him with intentional arson, inciting violence, damage to public property and conspiracy.

It is not yet clear when the next hearing will take place.

President Maduro has called the opposition politician a "murderer" and alleged he is being paid by the US Central Intelligence Agency to topple his government.

The authorities point to Mr Lopez's participation in street protests in 2002 which preceded a brief coup against then President Hugo Chavez, Mr Maduro's predecessor in office and mentor, to back up their claims.

Tropico
02-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Most of Latin America is against that dumbass. He's fucked .

Loki
02-21-2014, 04:53 PM

I liked Chavez.

RussiaPrussia
02-21-2014, 04:56 PM

comes from the puetro rican refugee from a country that is an official US colony

Gauthier
02-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Not surprised. They are south american left wingers. These people commonly like to suppress independent media outlets.

Loki
02-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Not surprised. They are south american left wingers. These people commonly like to suppress independent media outlets.

As in Ukraine, the Western media is fomenting unrest and revolution to attain their geopolitical targets.

RussiaPrussia
02-21-2014, 05:03 PM

independent media outlets that have budget sponsored by America which has much more money than Venezuelan sources. Its the same way the EU is making some anti monopoly probes against Microsoft and others.

Its good protectionism and saves Venezuelan jobs instead being outsourced to america. Its good for the economy it has nothing to do with authoritarianism. I hope russia follows next banning cnn and radio free europe or the economist.

Loki
02-21-2014, 05:08 PM
independent media outlets.

Independent media outlets? lol

Gauthier
02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Independent media outlets? lol

Yes, meaning that they don't depend from the local government. These commies want to control what goes out to the world.

Tropico
02-21-2014, 05:23 PM
comes from the puetro rican refugee from a country that is an official US colony

Said the kid with a Russian refugee parent.

RussiaPrussia
02-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Said the kid with a Russian refugee parent.

And? am i defending germany? Feeling German? Represent my self as German?

Loki
02-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Yes, meaning that they don't depend from the local government. These commies want to control what goes out to the world.

That's exactly what the American media does.

Loki
02-21-2014, 05:29 PM
I hope russia follows next banning cnn and radio free europe or the economist.

Me too. Especially The Economist, a disgusting propaganda tool.

Armand_Duval
02-21-2014, 05:54 PM
I liked Chavez.

Sure, me too, as a comediant and as an actor Chavez would have been brilliant he had his charm but as a president he led Venezuela to a dead end.

Tropico
02-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Sure, me too, as a comediant and as an actor Chavez would have been brilliant he had his charm but as a president he led Venezuela to a dead end.

These tools on here who blame the Left and "free" press for their countries bullshit. Please. GTFO.

Leo Iscariot
02-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Looks like Venezuela is gonna be due for some freedom soon.

Lurker
02-21-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm against banning media or the press. If they tell outright lies or foment revolution, let them. Nobody is actually forcing people to watch or read what they produce. There are tabloids that say Elvis is still alive. People don't take them seriously. So why care so much about what opositionists or media related to them say? Because the Venezuelan government knows that the economic situation is fucked up (50% inflation, lines to get cooking oil, etc) but tries to make the population see this as the USA's fault, instead of their own mismanaged economic policy. So they try to ban opposition and media that's not controled by the government. So that when election happens, they can have Saddam Iraqi-like results (110% voted for Maduro!) instead of what they got last time (51%-49% for Maduro).

Tropico
02-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Venezuela's President is just mad because CNN which is actually very fair and speak about FACTS rather than Opinions like MSNBC and Fox News told the truth about the regime in Venezuela and made the current government look bas as hell. Im sure we'll get a media blackout soon from Ukraine too for the same reasons.

Armand_Duval
02-21-2014, 10:26 PM
I have a very wild theory-that in fact might be not so wild if you know what I mean- about all these facts taking place at Venezuela lately.

Mexico has just taken a series of constitutional reforms, more expecificaly the Reforma Energetica, which leads to the opportunity for foreing investors to participate in the exploitation of Mexican Oil Resources, this virtually means that Mexico and the USA (I assume most investos to this kind of business will be the americans) will be "partners" in the oil business.

Mexico oil reserves are very important, Mexico is very rich in oil and with this new "association" to come OBVIOUSLY MEANS A BIG AMERICAN INTERFERENCE IN THE OIL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT, I bet Mexican oil reserve are taken or contemplated as part of the USA Strategic oil reserves, it should be read: A huge chunk of the cake to USA and a lower case to Mexico.

So what is next: Venezuela is getting into severe economic trouble, this supposed Venezuelan left wing is virtually destroing the economy of that nation leading it to chaos, Venezuelan Left wing as every left wing in every leftish coutry is against the USA, but it is only a facade, their speech against the big "Satan of the North" is only a charade: What they have been systematically doing is disassembling the Venezuelan economic system it is quite obvious, I don't know if they are part of a sort of a plan to lead Venezuela to bankrupt and eventually the USA will be the only one obvious power in this side of the world "who would give them a hand"...Venezuela being rich in Oil wouldn't be able to to take advantage of it and then the USA would "kindly and glady" offer his selfless help, then when that happens the USA would be in control of the oil reseves of Venezuela too and along with Mexico's oil and their own reserves will become the biggest energetic power in the world.

A man doesn't need to be a genious to realize the Venezuelan left wing isnt working for the coutry's well being but the otherway around.

Tropico
02-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Venezuela has always been a target to the US because of their oil and their constant FUCK YOU to the US. The US is an opportunistic country, like every other country, who only intervenes when its beneficial to them. If these rebellions where happening in Bolivia, no one would give a fuck.

Armand_Duval
02-21-2014, 11:31 PM
The fact of the matter is: In what measure all those venezuelan anti yankee speeches and "fuck the USA" has been real and in what measure it all has been choreographed from Washington?.

It may sound paranoid but Venezuela having the third oil reserve in the world makes it be the aim of the americans' strategic plans.

Laugh at me if you want but Im sure the CIA is behind all this,thinking otherwise would be fairly naive IMO.

Persian Otomi
02-22-2014, 02:34 PM
The USA is waiting for Venezuela to fail, I am certain they created this fuss. They are only waiting for the right opportunity to take over their oil and set up a puppet government in Venezuela.