PDA

View Full Version : Yule Readings from the Eddas

Rachel
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Hello all,

Merry Yule to one and all,

I am wondering if any one can suggest any readings for all 12 nights of this hoilday? If you have access to links for these readings please post them here as well. I am just looking to practice by my self as i am having a hard time connecting with a kindred here in Maryland so any readings or suggestions on how to celebrate the hoilday would be wonderful.

Thank you all in advance,

Rachel

Psychonaut
12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Nothing in the Eddas or Sagas jumps out at me as being particularly appropriate for Yule reading. We usually stick with a mixture of Dickens, the Wild Hunt and Rydberg's Tomten for Yuletide reading.

Rachel
12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I will look into this hopefull i can find a majority of them online. I think dickens should be the easiest.

Loddfafner
12-14-2009, 08:31 PM
The bits of Voluspa about Yggdrasil might work if you see the Christmas tree as a representation of Yggdrasil. The parts in the Havamal about Odin hanging from the tree might likewise be appropriate though it may be too much of a stretch to equate that image with christmas tree ornaments.

Rachel
12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I think i may just stick to the Eddas, i also have the Icelandic sagas that i have not cracked open yet, perhaphs there is something in there.

Thanks all