PDA

View Full Version : Crimea leader appeals to Putin for help

Elsa
03-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Ukraine crisis: Crimea leader appeals to Putin for help (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26397323)

The unofficial pro-Moscow leader of Ukraine's autonomous Crimea region has asked Russian President Vladimir Putin for help to ensure peace.

A Kremlin source said it would "not leave unnoticed" the request from Sergiy Aksyonov.

Reports speak of a clash overnight in Crimea's capital and an attempt to seize a Ukrainian missile base.

Ukraine's interim Prime Minister, Arseniy Yatsenyuk, accused Russia of seeking to provoke an escalation.

He was speaking at the first meeting of his cabinet, installed after the overthrow of President Viktor Yanukovych. New Defence Minister Ihor Tenyukh accused Russia of "recently" deploying 6,000 extra soldiers to Ukraine.

US President Barack Obama warned Moscow against any military intervention as unidentified soldiers, thought to be Russian, fanned out in the south of the peninsula, surrounding airports and communications centres.

According to Mr Aksyonov, soldiers from Russia's Black Sea Fleet based in Crimea are helping to guard strategic buildings. But the fleet's press service only told a Russian news agency Ria-Novosti it would help guard fleet installations.

Under the agreement governing the presence of the fleet in Crimea, the Russians must co-ordinate all troop movements outside the fleet's base areas with the Ukrainian authorities beforehand.

The head of Russia's upper house of parliament, Valentina Matviyenko, said she could not rule out the dispatch of a "limited contingent" of troops to Crimea to "guarantee the security of the Black Sea Fleet and Russian citizens living on the territory of Crimea".

Read more here, with a video clip and photographs. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26397323)

Loki
03-01-2014, 01:11 PM
It seems Donetsk will follow suit:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73301000/jpg/_73301095_021346457-1.jpg

In Donetsk, thousands of pro-Russian demonstrators rallied outside regional government offices

Loki
03-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Putin seeks Ukraine troop deployment (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26400035)

Russia's President Vladimir Putin has asked his upper house of parliament to approve the use of Russian troops in Ukraine, the Kremlin says.

It follows discussions by both the lower and upper house of the Duma to "stabilise" the situation in Ukrainian peninsula of Crimea.

Earlier, the Ukrainian defence minister said Moscow had already deployed some 6,000 extra troops to Crimea.

Kiev has accused Moscow of deliberately trying to provoke a confrontation.

President Putin submitted the request "in connection with the extraordinary situation in Ukraine and the threat to the lives of Russian citizens", the Kremlin said.

He asked for Russian armed forces to be used "until the normalisation of the political situation in that country".

Graham
03-01-2014, 01:15 PM
I take it Crimea is a Pro-Russian part. Can see Ukraine being broke up sooner. Russian troops entering Russian speaking Ukraine only.

Loki
03-01-2014, 01:28 PM
I take it Crimea is a Pro-Russian part. Can see Ukraine being broke up sooner. Russian troops entering Russian speaking Ukraine only.

Yes. A majority of the population are ethnic Russians.

glass
03-01-2014, 02:21 PM
some comments are funny

Victoria Nuland's Best Mate ! +30 thumbs up

What happens when fat bullies with tiny dicks turn 50 years old and have guns... +52 thumbs up

HE LOOKS LIKE A GOOD DEMOCRATIC PERSON TO ME....PEACEFUL,LOGICAL,WITH GREAT TOLARENCE FOR THE OPOSITE OPINION.....WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU ALL? +7

PS fail
i was trying to answear in this thread http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?117032-Ukraine-ultranationalist-leader-vows-to-hang-new-interior-minister-like-a-dog:picard1:

Kiyant
03-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Looks like Russians dont hold on contracts sad

Loki
03-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Kremlin Prepares for Military Intervention (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/world/europe/ukraine.html?hp&_r=1)

SIMFEROPOL, Ukraine — As Russian-backed armed forces effectively seized control of Ukraine’s Crimean peninsula on Saturday, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia requested —and received — authorization from the Russian Senate to use military force in Ukraine.

The actions signaled publicly for the first time the Kremlin’s readiness to intervene militarily in Ukraine, and it served as a blunt response to President Obama, who just hours earlier pointedly warned Russia to respect Ukraine’s sovereignty.

Within hours after receiving Mr. Putin’srequest, Russia’s upper house of parliament, the Federation Council, voted to approve it, after a debate that warned of the apocalyptic consequences of failing to stop a fascist threat from spreading to Russia’s borders. The lawmakers direct considerable fury at President Obama and others in the West they accused of fomenting the upheaval in Ukraine.

The vote was unanimous among the 90 members present for the debate, and it was clear that forces allied with Moscow were largely in control of the disputed peninsula.

The region’s two main airports were closed, with civilian flights canceled, and were guarded by heavily armed men in military uniforms. Similar forces surrounded the regional Parliament building and the rest of the government complex in downtown Simferopol, the Crimean capital, as well as numerous other strategic locations, including communication hubs and a main bus station.

At the entrance to Balaklva, site of Ukrainian customs and border post near Sevastopol, the road was blocked by a long column of military vehicles bearing Russian license plates. The column, comprising 10 troops trucks with 30 soldiers in each, two military ambulances and five armored vehicles, was not moving. Troops, wearing masks and carryoing automatic rifles, stoold on the road keeping people away.

Some 60 locals, all apparently ethnic Russians, were gathered in a nearby square waving Russian flags and shouting “Russia, Russia.”

Just a few hours earlier on Saturday, the newly installed, pro-Russia prime minister of Crimea had declared that he was in sole control of the military and the police in the peninsula and he appealed to Mr. Putin for help in safeguarding the region.

The prime minister, Sergei Aksyonov, also said a public referendum on independence would be held on March 30.

On a day of frayed nerves and set-piece political appeals that recalled ethnic conflicts of past decades in the former Soviet bloc — from the Balkans to the Caucasus — pro-Russian forces were said to have taken control of a government building in Kharkiv, and a crowd in the center of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine and pulled down the blue-and-yellow Ukrainian flag and raised a Russian one.

On Friday, officials in the Ukrainian capital of Kiev had accused Russian armed forces of invading Crimea and violating Ukraine’s sovereign territory, and President Obama pointedly warned Russia against military intervention. On Saturday, officials in Kiev reiterated their objections but, for the moment, seemed otherwise powerless.

There was no immediate new comment from Washington, where officials seem to have very limited options in responding to Russian military intervention in Ukraine.

In his statement Saturday, Mr. Aksyonov, said, “Understanding my responsibility for the life and safety of citizens, I appeal to the president of Russia, Vladimir V. Putin, for assistance in providing peace and tranquillity on the territory of the autonomous Republic of Crimea.”

“As chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea,” Mr. Aksyonov said, “I make the decision to temporarily put the armed units and groups of the Interior Ministry, the Security Service, the armed forces, the Emergency Situations Ministry, the fleet, the Tax Service, and the border guards under my direct control. All commanders shall follow only my orders and instructions”

He added, “I ask anyone who disagrees to leave the service.”

The Kremlin, in a statement released to Russian news services, said it “will not ignore” Mr. Aksyonov’s request for assistance.

And separately, in what appeared to reflect coordinated Russian responses after the Crimean appeals for help, the Russian Foreign Ministry issued a statement saying that unidentified gunmen “directed from Kiev” had tried to size control of the Ministry of Internal Affairs building in Simferopol.

The Foreign Ministry said that “vigilante groups” trying to seize the building had been repelled but that the attack “confirms the desire of prominent political circles in Kiev to destabilize the situation in the peninsula.” Local officials said an exchange of gunfire had occurred.

Elsewhere in Ukraine, there were signs of concern among business leaders over an effort by several European countries, including Austria and Switzerland, to freeze Mr. Yanukovych’s assets as well as those of his family members and other prominent associates.

Systems Capital Management Group, the company controlled by Ukraine’s richest man, Rinat Akhmetov, issued a statement saying that its operations were not affected by the freezing of assets. In its statement, the company said that it “operates in full compliance with the law and beyond politics” and that the freezing of assets “have not affected our operations in any way.”

Mr. Akhmetov is long known as a close ally of Mr. Yanukovych and his company’s statement suggested that he wanted to distance himself from the ex-president. On Friday, Mr. Yanukovych held a news conference at a shopping mall in Rostov-on-Don, Russia, where he insisted that he was still the legitimate president of Ukraine and planned to return.

The new government in Kiev has said that Mr. Yanukovych and other top officials are now wanted on charges of mass murder in connection with the deaths of more than 80 people in clashes between antigovernment protesters and the authorities late last month.

Mr. Akhmetov’s company said it “remains committed to the common principles of corporate ethics, business transparency and responsibility to our partner and the society and, in particular, does not carry out any joint business activity with Viktor Yanukovych and his family.”

Mraz
03-01-2014, 03:55 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/smFMLJHNQTJ9PSFgtgKRMQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zMDM7cT03NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/fr_FR/News/Chappatte/1002843.jpeg

Graham
03-01-2014, 03:57 PM

lol have noticed that the EU has been quiet as of late. Big talk from Obama & Putin. Cold War II yaaar!

Scandalf
03-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Maybe Ukraine should just give up Crimea and Russia should give up Ukraine.

Graham
03-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Maybe Ukraine should just give up Crimea and Russia should give up Ukraine.

A bit Northern Irish, but I think something like this will happen. Perhaps pro-Russian areas to Russia.

RussiaPrussia
03-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Looks like Russians dont hold on contracts sad

like nato not to expand beyond east germany?

Scandalf
03-01-2014, 04:06 PM
A bit Northern Irish, but I think something like this will happen. Perhaps pro-Russian areas to Russia.

It would probably be the only solution. But I also think that Putin should get rid of Ukraine's ex Leader: he acted like Captain Schettino claiming he didn't excape from Ukraine!

RussiaPrussia
03-01-2014, 04:08 PM
this reminds me of the falkland crisis it has nothing to do with russian oppression crimea is majority russian over 60%. 97% speak russian

Putin is a true russian patriot we should take crimea from them as long ukraine is weak and faschist forces are not in total power yet.

Scandalf
03-01-2014, 04:11 PM
this reminds me of the falkland crisis it has nothing to do with russian oppression crimea is majority russian over 60%. 97% speak russian

Putin is a true russian patriot we should take crimea from them as long ukraine is weak and faschist forces are not in total power yet.

Since Crimea was Russian, why did Stalin give it to Ukraine in first place? Was it an exchange of some sort?

Loki
03-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Not just Crimea, but Donetsk and another majority Russian area as well.

Loki
03-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Since Crimea was Russian, why did Stalin give it to Ukraine in first place? Was it an exchange of some sort?

It wasn't Stalin, it was Kruschchev. And he was an ethnic Ukrainian, in 1953. :rolleyes:

Jackson
03-01-2014, 04:24 PM
lol have noticed that the EU has been quiet as of late. Big talk from Obama & Putin. Cold War II yaaar!

Well the UK, US and some others i think are bound to defiend Ukraine if Russia invades, so it could turn nasty pretty quickly. A treaty or something signed in 1994.

Scandalf
03-01-2014, 04:27 PM
It wasn't Stalin, it was Kruschchev. And he was an ethnic Ukrainian, in 1953. :rolleyes:

He did it to commemorate an anniversary!!!!!!!!!!
Unbelievable!

Äijä
03-01-2014, 04:30 PM

http://www.workerspower.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/iceberg_EU.jpg

Graham
03-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Well the UK, US and some others i think are bound to defiend Ukraine if Russia invades, so it could turn nasty pretty quickly. A treaty or something signed in 1994.

My view on Uk status should be.

Feet up, bottle of lager, watch the tele. Let the yanks and Russians slug it.

Äijä
03-01-2014, 04:37 PM

This will not happen, they would have said it if they intended to do anything like that.

UK and US will come active in the Baltic area and Poland, that is the new "front line", you are welcome. :thumb001:

Jackson
03-01-2014, 04:44 PM
This will not happen, they would have said it if they intended to do anything like that.

UK and US will come active in the Baltic area and Poland, that is the new "front line", you are welcome. :thumb001:

Well i'm pretty sure it was a formal agreement/contract. It's probably one of the reasons we aren't being over-aggressive, at least visibly, on this issue. I mean it doesn't yet compare to the situation in Syria.

Graham
03-01-2014, 05:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqM1U2IIAAbOVP.png:large