PDA

View Full Version : Tolkien Almost Wrote A Fourth ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Novel

Atlantic Islander
03-01-2014, 11:32 PM
By Kristin Lovett on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

http://i1.wp.com/knowledgenuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1280px-El_Se%C3%B1or_de_los_Anillos_lectura.jpg?resize=10 24%2C537

“ ’I wish life was not so short,’ he thought. ‘Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.’ ” —JRR Tolkien, “The Lost Road and Other Writings”

In A Nutshell

JRR Tolkien wrote many more works besides his two most popular (The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings). These mainly included more short stories, most set within his fictional world of Middle Earth. However, after his death, his son Christopher Tolkien published many of his notes and unfinished works, one of which included the failed, discarded draft of a final novel in the Lord of the Rings series.

The Whole Bushel

Originally “discovered” in some of Tolkien’s published letters, the author expressed his unhappiness with the ideas he had contrived, and referred to it as a “thriller.” The manuscript was only a first draft, and highly incomplete. It was roughly 13 pages long, and did not have much, if any editing done on it at all.

The basic plot of the 13 pages was laid out in the manuscript and by Tolkien himself in some of his letters. It was set roughly 100 years after the events of The Lord of the Rings. None of the characters from the original trilogy are featured in the manuscript, though the possibility of Gandalf appearing likely crossed Tolkien’s mind. The book centers around a young man named Borlas, and chronicles the aftermath of the fall of Sauron. One of the major themes was, according to Tolkien, the fact that Men far too often become satisfied with peace and splendor, almost as if they have been lulled into a false sense of security. Thus the main conflict arises from the lionization of aspects of the previous novels, such as young boys playing as Orcs, eventually culminating in what can only be described as a satanic (or perhaps Sauronic) cult, which creates the main dilemma and conflict for the plot.

Considering all that we really have are the first 13 rough pages, it is tricky to determine just exactly where Tolkien was going to take the story, but it would undoubtedly be a bit tricky to follow up the massive, culmination events of the previous novels. Tolkien mentioned that he stopped writing as he considered the writing to be “sinister and depressing,” and the plot nothing granting hope or inspiration to the reader.

It is rather strange to think that Tolkien, who was widely considered less a commercial writer than a man with a world in his mind, simply allowing people in through his words would do something that we often see Hollywood film executives doing in an effort to make more money. Fortunately, Tolkien spared us, and axed his own project before he became too serious about it. To hardcore fans, however, this writing is highly interesting, as it delves into the time period which is referred to in the mythos as “The Fourth Age,” the previous novels taking place in the Third Age. Granted, this is not Tolkien’s only venture outside of those books which are well recognized, as he did write many other works, and there are a great deal of unfinished publications (which were likely never meant to be published, were it not for Tolkien’s son). Hopefully Peter Jackson won’t find these 13 pages for his next trilogy.

Show Me The Proof

The New Shadow (http://www.tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_New_Shadow)
Exploring Tolkien’s Fourth Age (http://www.merp.com/essays/michael-martinez-1/michaelmartinezsuite101essay17)
Photo credit: Zanastardust (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:El_Se%C3%B1or_de_los_Anillos_lectura.jpg)

source (http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/02/12/tolkien-almost-wrote-a-fourth-lord-of-the-rings-novel/)

Smaug
03-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Oh :(

Caismeachd
03-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Thank god he didn't. We don't need another terrible 6 hour video game cgi fest.

Windischer
03-01-2014, 11:56 PM
young boys playing as Orcs, eventually culminating in what can only be described as a satanic (or perhaps Sauronic) cult

sounds like todays neonazis

Prisoner Of Ice
03-02-2014, 12:00 AM
4rd of the rings?

Oneeye
03-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Sounds like Elder Scrolls Oblivion

Caismeachd
03-02-2014, 12:04 AM
He was a good author but the movies are crap. Really disappointed. Hobbit was one of my fav books when I was 12. I tried to watch the movies but they are unbearable to me.

Jackson
03-02-2014, 12:08 AM
He was a good author but the movies are crap. Really disappointed. Hobbit was one of my fav books when I was 12. I tried to watch the movies but they are unbearable to me.

In terms of the movies, i liked the Lord of the Rings, but not so much the Hobbit. The Dwarves look too squishy for one.

Prisoner Of Ice
03-02-2014, 12:10 AM
In terms of the movies, i liked the Lord of the Rings, but not so much the Hobbit. The Dwarves look too squishy for one.

They tried too hard to make it towards kids, but kids hate stuff aimed at kids.

Jackson
03-02-2014, 12:12 AM
They tried too hard to make it towards kids, but kids hate stuff aimed at kids.

Exactly.

Well the original Hobbit book was partially aimed at children, but of course they added in lots of extra lore in the film, so i think if they wanted to keep it child friendly they should have just gone with the original story, and if they want to include the lore make it more serious. Sure it's a laugh in parts but i much prefer the real sense of seriousness and epicness you get throughout most of the Lord of the Rings, that is of course in the books.

Caismeachd
03-02-2014, 12:16 AM
Peter Jackson was a crqp gore horror director before he did lotr. It deserved much better treament. The hobbit movies are sickening. It was a 200 page book but they are making 3 3 hour long movies of crap CGI and interpreted fluff. How fucking disappointing. Even the 70s cartoon was better.

Caismeachd
03-02-2014, 12:24 AM
I really liked the 70s cartoon as well. It's much better than the contrived fluff shite they're trying to shovel for money now. Tolkien deserves much better than nimrod peter jackson. its very sad.

Comte Arnau
03-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Quite interesting. It may really have become too sinister even for him. Something we would love today but those times were more good vs evil in a clear cut way.

I read the Hobbit, the LOTR and the Silmarillion at 12 and I became a fan for a long while. Thought I was going to hate the LOTR movies, but I actually enjoyed them. The Hobbit films seem to me quite unnecessary, though. I watch them in a different way, not trying to connect anything with the books any more, or even with the LOTR movies. In fact, the character I liked the most in the second film was the elf girl, Tauriel, a character they just made up. (I remembered taur meant woods, so I guessed her name was probably intended to mean the forest daughter. I didn't expect it. And to be honest, compared to the sausagefest that was the first one, it was refreshing. :D)

http://checalamovie.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Screen-shot-2013-12-03-at-1.47.54-AM.png