PDA

View Full Version : Why Eurogenes ignores Germans?

JQP4545
03-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Any one else notice that Germany seems completely ignored by these calculators despite being one of the most populous countries in Europe? There are multiple locations for Spain (Valencia, Argon, Extremadura, Cantabria, etc...), UK (West Scotland, Orcadian, Argyle, Southeast English, Southwest English, Irish), yet Germany only gets one: German. If Eurogenes wants a better test they should make one for Baden-Wurttemburg, Bavaria, Rhineland, and North Germany.

It seems like many people have ancestors from Germany and if they come from the South then they are left with unusual results, such as German + Tuscan or French+Norwegian, etc...

Jackson
03-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Any one else notice that Germany seems completely ignored by these calculators despite being one of the most populous countries in Europe? There are multiple locations for Spain (Valencia, Argon, Extremadura, Cantabria, etc...), UK (West Scotland, Orcadian, Argyle, Southeast English, Southwest English, Irish), yet Germany only gets one: German. If Eurogenes wants a better test they should make one for Baden-Wurttemburg, Bavaria, Rhineland, and North Germany.

It seems like many people have ancestors from Germany and if they come from the South then they are left with unusual results, such as German + Tuscan or French+Norwegian, etc...

He probably should put in more populations. I think the one usually used is from West & Central Germany, overall.

Damiăo de Góis
03-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Samples are not of the responsability of Eurogenes, it just uses whichever samples are avaliable. And apart from a few exceptions, almost no countries are broken down into regions.

JQP4545
03-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Samples are not of the responsability of Eurogenes, it just uses whichever samples are avaliable. And apart from a few exceptions, almost no countries are broken down into regions.

Maybe a Swiss Sample?

Jackson
03-01-2014, 11:46 PM

I'm hoping some good study will release more samples at some point soon, would be good to see a lot more regions, and also have some more for different regions of France too.

gold_fenix
03-01-2014, 11:49 PM
if i am not wrong, the difference between the germans of North, East,South and West are enought different, so they should do it

Damiăo de Góis
03-01-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm hoping some good study will release more samples at some point soon, would be good to see a lot more regions, and also have some more for different regions of France too.

Yes, i would also like it for my own country... but i doubt it will happen. Until that happens the best we can do is to share on 23andme with people from the said region and see what they look like.

Jackson
03-01-2014, 11:54 PM
if i am not wrong, the difference between the germans of North, East,South and West are enought different, so they should do it

Yeah i think they are quite significant. If i remember correctly Dodecad uses Germans from further east than Eurogenes. And of course southern Germans are between the current German sample and French/Austrian (sometimes closer to the latter), and northern Germans between the current sample and Danes/Dutch. Although i don't know how significant each gap difference is really, it's a bit country though. France is another area that needs more. Population studies have shown most areas are fairly similar in Y-DNA apart from parts of the north and east, but don't know how much that carries over into autosomal DNA.

Shuffle
03-02-2014, 01:26 PM

I am South-German, one half Bavarian, one half completely mixed South-German but mostly of Southwestern-German descent and I get Norwegian and Tuscan at Eurogenes ;-)

Prince Carlo
03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Political correctness is very strong in Germany, so you won't see many genetic studies with German samples.

Almost all German samples on Dodecad and Eurogenes are from German diaspora in the US and Canada AFAIK.

Anglojew
03-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Jewish plot

Lusos
03-02-2014, 02:11 PM
See.They (?)keep dividing us as In South Portugal,Northern,Central and Islanders.
We keep saying that there's no difference.No one listens.

Graham
03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
If Polako had proper German samples(not individuals) he'd use them. There's no data knowingly available.

If you find any, tell him on forumbiodiversity. Would probably be glad to have them.

Ibericus
03-02-2014, 03:06 PM
The MLDP project had separate North and South German samples.

Graham
03-02-2014, 03:09 PM
MDLP also has Welsh, have never seen it anywhere else. Fuck knows where

JQP4545
03-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Jewish plot

Lol, I wasn't saying that...Eurogenes also doesn't include as many Jewish groups as some of the other calculators...Muslims Brotherhood?...

gold_fenix
03-02-2014, 07:59 PM
if some south german want to share in 23andme tell me

Shuffle
03-02-2014, 08:05 PM
I am South-German but am only on FTDNA.

Anglojew
03-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Lol, I wasn't saying that...Eurogenes also doesn't include as many Jewish groups as some of the other calculators...Muslims Brotherhood?...

I was joking. Seems weird though.