PDA

View Full Version : The Romanian term for Germans

Gjergj Dukagjini
03-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Hi Romanian friends,

While I was reading a book on Alemans, my attention was caught at the very fact that their name left a legacy upon many European peoples who call modern Germans as Alemans. Then my curiosity was piqued by the question what's the native Romanian term to denote Germans. I am pretty aware that most of Slavic peoples regard them as Nemci (and similar variations) and some authors stress that this term was first ''coined' by the Slavs of Czechia and then found its way to the other Slavic peoples. Such a question, to my humble opinion, is of utmost importance when it comes to the old question whether proto-Romanian has always been spoken in the regions north to the Danube river. If this light, if you Romanians call them Nemci, i think this further accounts for the permanent presence of Romanian-speakers north of Danube. Please enlighten me as I am eager to scrutinize this question. Any concise study in English is more than welcome!

thanks in advance

Gjergj Dukagjini
03-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Any answer yet?

Zmey Gorynych
03-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Romanians have two exonyms for germans: "germani" and "nemţi", one is of latin origin and the other slavic. The older exonym in romanian language is "nemţi". Yet this proves nothing you theorized about in your opening post.