PDA

View Full Version : R1b1a2 in Kosovo (Albanian)

Gashi91
03-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Hi Theapricity.com! I am new in this forum, here are my results:

FTDNA Family Finder:
Europe Finnish, French, Orcadian, Romanian, Russian 23.20% ±12.89%
Europe (Southern European) Tuscan 76.80% ±12.89%

YDNA: R1b1a2a1 L150
mtDNA: U5b2a1a

I am ethnic Albanian from the Republic of Kosovo with roots (4-5 generations) from Northern Albania (Y-DNA).
Sa per Shqiptar ne ket forum te interesuar jom nga fisi Gashi, nga veriu Shqiperisė qe kufizohet me fiset Krasniqi dhe Bytyqi.

alb0zfinest
03-10-2014, 01:43 AM
Congrats on the results, and welcome to the forum.

cally
03-10-2014, 01:46 AM
Congrats and welcome :)

1stLightHorse
03-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Interesting, i think there is some other R1b albos here.

cally
03-10-2014, 05:39 AM
I just checked gedmatch and we are related!! Hi cousin
where in Kosovo are you from?

out of 1500 relatives, you are my closest one :)

Skerdilaid
03-10-2014, 05:43 AM

Closer then Bubu, because I believe he comes from quite close to where you come from?

Gashi91
03-10-2014, 03:53 PM

Then cousin it is, hehe.. How did you find that out?
My fathers family are from a village called Qabiq (where they have lived in 2-3 generations), its close to the city of Klinė - easy to find on Google maps.
However as I mentioned above, they came to Kosovo from Northern Albania. They first arrived in some village(-s) in Gjakova, then they traveled to a village close to Suhareka (Therandė), later on to a village called 'Mleqan' and finally 'Qabiq'.

Kastrioti1443
03-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Welcome Highlander!

cally
03-10-2014, 04:00 PM
My fathers family are from a village called Qabiq (where they have lived in 2-3 generations), its close to the city of Klinė - easy to find on Google maps.
However as I mentioned above, they came to Kosovo from Northern Albania. They first arrived in some village(-s) in Gjakova, then they traveled to a village close to Suhareka (Therandė), later on to a village called 'Mleqan' and finally 'Qabiq'.

Awesome!
I went on "one to many" matches and you were the first public match it just said "Gashi" and your haplogroups.
My family are from Suhareka too, so maybe the relation is there. :)

Gashi91
03-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Awesome!
I went on "one to many" matches and you were the first public match it just said "Gashi" and your haplogroups.
My family are from Suhareka too, so maybe the relation is there. :)

Ok, it may be. Would be interesting to find out.

Skerdilaid
03-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Welcome! I know where your village is.

alb0zfinest
03-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Welcome! I know where your village is :naughty:.

Stalker status :D

Skerdilaid
03-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Stalker status :D

What lol? I did a lot of hunting in my younger days:p

KrashNick
03-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Welcome = Mireseerdhe :D .

Chieftain
03-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Welcome, I'm an ancient northern albanian if you got any questions.

Black Wolf
03-12-2014, 12:31 AM
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your genetic results! Always nice to see new people here who are interested in genetics.

kuqezi
03-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Hi Theapricity.com! I am new in this forum, here are my results:

FTDNA Family Finder:
Europe Finnish, French, Orcadian, Romanian, Russian 23.20% ±12.89%
Europe (Southern European) Tuscan 76.80% ±12.89%

YDNA: R1b1a2a1 L150
mtDNA: U5b2a1a

I am ethnic Albanian from the Republic of Kosovo with roots (4-5 generations) from Northern Albania (Y-DNA).
Sa per Shqiptar ne ket forum te interesuar jom nga fisi Gashi, nga veriu Shqiperisė qe kufizohet me fiset Krasniqi dhe Bytyqi.

So theoretically all Gashi should be R1b1a2a1 if they all to have a common ancestor, right?

cally
03-12-2014, 01:09 AM
So theoretically all Gashi should be R1b1a2a1 if they all to have a common ancestor, right?
There is a Gashi from Kosovo on 23andme with Y-DNA haplogroup I1.

Stefan_Dusan
03-12-2014, 01:09 AM
There is a Gashi from Kosovo on 23andme with Y-DNA haplogroup I1.

I'm related to that one. Maybe even this Gashi in the thread.

cally
03-12-2014, 01:15 AM
I'm related to that one. Maybe even this Gashi in the thread.

From what I can see on gedmatch, OP is related to me and Geni who also happens to be R1b. You can check to see if you find your name :)

Stefan_Dusan
03-12-2014, 01:16 AM
From what I can see on gedmatch, OP is related to me and Geni who also happens to be R1b. You can check to see if you find your name :)

How do I do that?

cally
03-12-2014, 01:17 AM
How do I do that?

Go on "one-to-many" matches

Gashi91
03-12-2014, 01:20 AM

If, yes. But as far as I know not all from the 'Gashi clan' are related.

Stefan_Dusan
03-12-2014, 01:25 AM
If, yes. But as far as I know not all from the 'Gashi clan' are related.

Not everyone in tribe has to be related but everyone in clan needs to be. Gashi is a Kosovo tribe, you being from Northern Albania would have had male ancestor absorbed into the tribe, and you would not be related to the original founder through your male line. However, through female line maybe.

Gashi91
03-12-2014, 02:04 AM
Not everyone in tribe has to be related but everyone in clan needs to be. Gashi is a Kosovo tribe, you being from Northern Albania would have had male ancestor absorbed into the tribe, and you would not be related to the original founder through your male line. However, through female line maybe.

Clan/Tribe, I thought it was the same. I don't agree with you. The Gashi tribe came from Northern Albania to what is today Kosovo.

Skerdilaid
03-12-2014, 02:29 AM
Clan/Tribe, I thought it was the same. I don't agree with you. The Gashi tribe came from Northern Albania to what is today Kosovo.

Gashi Clan originates in Kosova, prior to Turk arrival. From Kosova they moved to Herzegovina, and from Herzegovina into what is now Montenegro. The brother Clan PalBardhi (BjeloPavlic) stayed there, and Gashi moved back into Kosova. You are right, not all Gashi come from the same male ancestor, because there have been brotherhoods that have joined the Clan. So I guess Gashi can be called Tribe, by Stefan's definiton:D

Gashi91
03-12-2014, 02:36 AM
Gashi Clan originates in Kosova, prior to Turk arrival. From Kosova they moved to Herzegovina, and from Herzegovina into what is now Montenegro. The brother Clan PalBardhi (BjeloPavlic) stayed there, and Gashi moved back into Kosova. You are right, not all Gashi come from the same male ancestor, because there have been brotherhoods that have joined the Clan. So I guess Gashi can be called Tribe, by Stefan's definiton:D

Sure a lot I did not know. Thank you! Do you have any source so I can 'approve' your claim?

kuqezi
03-12-2014, 02:41 AM
The Gashi tribal base remains in the northeastern tip of Albania. The northern part of Tropoja. From there they expanded into Kosovo along with the rest of the highland tribes. All the recognized tribes in Kosovo are based out of northern Albania where their bases remain and clan members there maintain the old tribal-territorial organizational structure that was lost for the most part when they began to migrate to Kosovo. Tribe affiliation in Kosovo lost most of its highland aspects and served mostly as a reference of origin.

alb0zfinest
03-12-2014, 02:43 AM
I don't know much about Gashi, but I had a friend with that last name, and a very distant cousin of mine is married to a gashi, both of those individuals live in Kosove.

Skerdilaid
03-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Sure a lot I did not know. Thank you! Do you have any source so I can 'approve' your claim?

It precisely originated in Drenica. No I don't have sources, this is how the old folk sang its history.

Edit, what I am saying also adds up by the whom Gashi can marry and such.

Skerdilaid
03-12-2014, 02:46 AM
The Gashi tribal base remains in the northeastern tip of Albania. The northern part of Tropoja. From there they expanded into Kosovo along with the rest of the highland tribes. All the recognized tribes in Kosovo are based out of northern Albania where their bases remain and clan members there maintain the old tribal-territorial organizational structure that was lost for the most part when they began to migrate to Kosovo. Tribe affiliation in Kosovo lost most of its highland aspects and served mostly as a reference of origin.

Depends in what region, Drenica for example kept its Fis tradition very much like the Northern Albanians did. Few other regions in Kosova did too, for example today if you want to get married to a girl, the elderly will investigate with Fis she hails prior to approval.

safinator
03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Welcome.

Just checked some of your autosomal scores on Gedmatch and seems you're a little bit more Northern than the average.

Kastrioti1443
03-13-2014, 05:44 PM

Gashi is a Kosova tribe, originated there, in Tropoja originates Krasniqi and partialy Shala Tribe. Berisha Tribe originates in Puka.

ChocolateFace
03-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Gashi is a Kosova tribe, originated there, in Tropoja originates Krasniqi and partialy Shala Tribe. Berisha Tribe originates in Puka.

Gashi originates from Dukagjin. I actually have relation to them from a few hundred years back.

Kastrioti1443
03-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Gashi originates from Dukagjin. I actually have relation to them from a few hundred years back.

No. Gasho originates from western parts of Kosovoa, nothing to do with Dukagjin.

ChocolateFace
03-13-2014, 05:59 PM
No. Gasho originates from western parts of Kosovoa, nothing to do with Dukagjin.

Gashi originated from a brother whose father was from dukagjin and he went into Kosov.

The Illyrian Warrior
03-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Welcome.

You said you're part of Gashi tribe, what I know for sure about Gashi tribe is most widespread tribe along with Berisha tribe (my maternal side) in Kosova however about tribes/clans Skerdilaid is much more informative than the rest us. :)

kuqezi
03-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Toplana holds a sinister record; its annual death-rate from gunshot wounds is double that of most other Christian tribes. It is a very old tribe. Shlaku and Gashi are both offshoots of it. Shlaku and Toplana are both small and Christian; Gashi, all Moslem, is reported to be rich, and consists of 800 houses. Its territory is as yet almost entirely unexplored.

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/durham/albania/albania.html

Skerdilaid
03-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Toplana holds a sinister record; its annual death-rate from gunshot wounds is double that of most other Christian tribes. It is a very old tribe. Shlaku and Gashi are both offshoots of it. Shlaku and Toplana are both small and Christian; Gashi, all Moslem, is reported to be rich, and consists of 800 houses. Its territory is as yet almost entirely unexplored.

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/durham/albania/albania.html

Neither Shlaku or Toplana are Clans.

kuqezi
03-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Neither Shlaku or Toplana are Clans.

The people of Toplana were driven to their present mountain stronghold from Vasojevitch in Montenegro about 1450, being pushed out by immigrants from Herzegovina.

Coon, The Mountains of Giants p.45

kuqezi
03-14-2014, 12:10 AM

kuqezi
03-14-2014, 12:12 AM

Notice where it says Malsia E Jakoves in between the E and S in the word JAKOVES. That is the Gashi tribal base, within the north Albanian highlands.

Skerdilaid
03-14-2014, 01:59 AM
The people of Toplana were driven to their present mountain stronghold from Vasojevitch in Montenegro about 1450, being pushed out by immigrants from Herzegovina.

Coon, The Mountains of Giants p.45

I know that came from Coon, but Coon did not know too much about the Albo Fis. Anyways, those sound like families to me, or place names, and you can find those place names even in Kosova.

We all know the Fis names, I don't have to repeat them here.

kuqezi
03-14-2014, 03:14 AM
Well at least the brotherhoods united under the Toplana bajrak considered themselves of the same fis. There are sources showing this its up to you to disprove that.

kuqezi
03-14-2014, 03:16 AM
Coon knew a lot about the different fisat. He even corrected Edith Durham in some of her errors regarding them and their structure.

Skerdilaid
03-14-2014, 03:23 AM
Toplana and Shlaku could only be nen fis, that's about it, or it could be a regional term. Shlak ose Shlaka is sort of a gravel that is found in Balkans, and you can find it as toponym in all Albo lands, toplana I am not sure what it means, but gives me Slavic vibes...

Stefan_Dusan
03-14-2014, 03:30 AM
Toplana and Shlaku could only be nen fis, that's about it, or it could be a regional term. Shlak ose Shlaka is sort of a gravel that is found in Balkans, and you can find it as toponym in all Albo lands, toplana I am not sure what it means, but gives me Slavic vibes...

Toplana is related to heat in Serbian and used to name everything from heating companies or to hot springs in the mountains. I have no idea why someone would use this as name unless they came near hot spring and just picked their location.

Skerdilaid
03-14-2014, 03:32 AM
Toplana is related to heat in Serbian and used to name everything from heating companies or to hot springs in the mountains. I have no idea why someone would use this as name unless they came near hot spring and just picked their location.

Thanks! Most likely a toponym then, just like I thought. There are no Albanian that have such a tribe, but some young folk misunderstand things.

kuqezi
03-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Toplana is also a last name in Kosovo, as is Shllaku (not Shlaku). Dushmani is also a very old tribe.. Older than most. It was first recorded in the first decades of Ottoman rule of the area. Even though dushman is a non-Albanian word and means enemy doesn't mean they were non-Albanian. Likely they were a fierce enemy of the Turks and came to be known by that name.

The reason Toplana (keep in mind in Malsi its only a small tribe of one bajrak) is little represented in Kosovo for example probably has to do with having the highest death rate of all Alb tribes 49% due to being in blood with nearly everyone around them. Theres little room for emigration for such a tribe.

kuqezi
03-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Also you cannot judge tribes in the Malsi by their representation in Kosovo. For example my fis Sopi is a small fis from around Topojan in Luma which wasn't noticed by either Durham or Coon, whereas in Kosovo it expanded hugely and is almost everywhere.

The Illyrian Warrior
03-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Since you guys keep discussion about fis/tribes can I ask with OP approval about Morina tribe where did they originate from, and how they kept spreading in Kosova or were they just Kosovan native?

kuqezi
03-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Morina originates in Northern Albania just like the rest of the clans, their own tales of origin not withstanding. Kosova was never a tribal area of its own but a territory dominated by extensions of highland tribes.

kuqezi
03-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Nuk kam njohuri te medha per gjenezen e fiseve si linden e njejta pyetje do te ishte si linden emrat e vendeve te ndryshme e tj .Sa per fisin SOP ose Sopian apo Sopaj jan nen fis i fisit morin bashk me Shoshin jam shum i sigurt per ket

http://www.forumishqiptar.com/threads/4230-Mbi-origjinėn-e-disa-fiseve-nė-Shqipėri/page33

^ Thats something that ties those two fisa together but who knows what source he got it from.

Gashi91
04-26-2014, 01:07 AM
For those of you who have their DNA profiles with FTDNA, please make sure to join the Albanian project.
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Abanian_DNA_Poject/default.aspx

Ice
06-06-2014, 06:15 AM
frequency data of R1b-M269xL23 versus the total population sampled

Kosovo___________________________ 7.9%
Germany__________________________ 5.3%
Macedonia________________________ 5.1%
Serbia___________________________ 4.4%
Lezgis (Northeast Caucasus)______ 3.2%
Switzerland Northeast____________ 3.1%
Italy____________________________ 2.9%
Iran_____________________________ 2.7%