PDA

View Full Version : Am I Descandent of Arabian Converts to Judaism?

Yehiel
03-11-2014, 08:53 PM
My Sefardi side goes back to france, after the inquisition then to germany then to USA. However i have many arabs cousins on 23andme which im not sure how common this is among Jews. Maybe my family were originally arabian converts who adapted Sefardi culture and intermixed with other Sefardis???

CordedWhelp
03-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Not sure, but could very well be a degree of shared ancestry, rather than being descent from them.

Anglojew
03-11-2014, 08:57 PM
More likely they (your "Arab" relatives) are Jews Islamised after the Arab conquest.

Yehiel
03-11-2014, 08:57 PM
More likely they are Jews Islamised after the Arab conquest.

and then converted back to Judaism?

Yehiel
03-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Not sure, but could very well be a degree of shared ancestry, rather than being descent from them.

Yes that is very possible..

Longbowman
03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
My Sefardi side goes back to france, after the inquisition then to germany then to USA. However i have many arabs cousins on 23andme which im not sure how common this is among Jews. Maybe my family were originally arabian converts who adapted Sefardi culture and intermixed with other Sefardis???

Just your family, and no other families? You'd have to be very, very inbred.

The answer to your question is no, you're not descended from Arabic converts.

Prisoner Of Ice
Doesn't show in your looks.

Yehiel
Just your family, and no other families? You'd have to be very, very inbred.

The answer to your question is no, you're not descended from Arabic converts.

well i meant Arabs who converted to Judaism and intermixed with other Jews...

Yehiel
03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Doesn't show in your looks.

I show some arabid/armenoid or some type of med.. nobody has decided but i can very well show you plenty of european looking Middle Eastern people.

Stormer99
03-11-2014, 09:01 PM

Sephardic Jews moved back to the Holy land.

Anglojew
03-11-2014, 09:02 PM
and then converted back to Judaism?

No. Many Judeans identity as Palestinian etc now.

Longbowman

No, no more than any other Western Sephardic.

Yehiel
Sephardic Jews moved back to the Holy land.

I do have 3 Palestinian cousin...

Yehiel
03-11-2014, 09:03 PM
No, no more than any other Western Sephardic.

So you are saying this is just common among Sefardi and no worries?

Longbowman
03-11-2014, 09:04 PM
So you are saying this is just common among Sefardi and no worries?

Yep.

Maleficent
05-28-2014, 09:46 PM
More likely they (your "Arab" relatives) are Jews Islamised after the Arab conquest.

This.

Yehiel
05-28-2014, 09:48 PM
This.

including you :thumb001:

Maleficent
05-28-2014, 10:26 PM
including you :thumb001:

Nah, I'm not Islamicized like your dirty cousins. :P

Isleņo
05-28-2014, 10:31 PM

Current Jews are a mixture of European Jews are a mixture of Euro and Levantine. But as far as the Levantine, it's possible. Because before the arrival of Islam to Israel/Palestine, everyone was Hebrew. The Hebrews that did not leave were Arabized, these are the Palestinians. So it's very possible you are a distant cousin to Palestinians, because, the Levantine portion of your Jewish ancestry is made up of the same source as the Palestinians. Palestinians are not real Arabs, but are Arabized Levantines.

Isleņo
05-28-2014, 10:33 PM
I made a comment about Palestinians are Arabized, but of course a few are Christians. My mother is in Palestine today on a Christian mission. She mentioned a town there that was all Christians, I can't remember the town name, maybe I'll Facebook her and ask her.

Yehiel
05-28-2014, 10:34 PM

christainized, come back to your roots!! if the Maschich comes in our age it will happen anyway !!

Yehiel
05-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Current Jews are a mixture of European Jews are a mixture of Euro and Levantine. But as far as the Levantine, it's possible. Because before the arrival of Islam to Israel/Palestine, everyone was Hebrew. The Hebrews that did not leave were Arabized, these are the Palestinians. So it's very possible you are a distant cousin to Palestinians, because, the Levantine portion of your Jewish ancestry is made up of the same source as the Palestinians. Palestinians are not real Arabs, but are Arabized Levantines.

Yes, they were arabized but first xianized first, they lost their identity in between, sadly

Maleficent
05-28-2014, 10:38 PM
I made a comment about Palestinians are Arabized, but of course a few are Christians. My mother is in Palestine today on a Christian mission. She mentioned a town there that was all Christians, I can't remember the town name, maybe I'll Facebook her and ask her.

Is she in West Bank or Israel? If she's in West Bank I know which town you are referring. There are hundreds of villages throughout the West Bank traditionally and historically Christian with a large Christian percentage of the population, but only one has a 100% Christian population to this day and that is Taybeh.

Isleņo
05-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Yes, they were arabized but first xianized first, they lost their identity in between, sadly

But being this is true, you could be distantly related to Palestinians. They are really like your half brothers, lol. That's why I don't understand why all this fighting has to be had. Share the land equally and respect thy neighbor.

Maleficent
05-28-2014, 10:42 PM
christainized, come back to your roots!! if the Maschich comes in our age it will happen anyway !!

I don't have a problem with Judaism and you shouldn't have a problem with Christianity. Who knows, maybe you should look into Messianic Judiasm, Jews for Jesus, etc.

Indeed, it was the Arabization that was the problem, not the Christianization. Hopefully the old Aramaic language and culture will one day be revived. The true language and culture of my father's people.

Yehiel
05-28-2014, 10:44 PM
I don't have a problem with Judaism and you shouldn't have a problem with Christianity. Who knows, maybe you should look into Messianic Judiasm, Jews for Jesus, etc.

Indeed, it was the Arabization that was the problem, not the Christianization. Hopefully the old Aramaic language and culture will one day be revived. The true language and culture of my father's people.

Do any of your family can read Aramaic, i can read it (Hebrew and Aramaic share the same script) but cant translate it to well, only a few.

Yehiel
05-28-2014, 10:45 PM
But being this is true, you could be distantly related to Palestinians. They are really like your half brothers, lol. That's why I don't understand why all this fighting has to be had. Share the land equally and respect thy neighbor.

I am distantly related to Palestinians not could be :) me and Faeriqueen are distant cousins believe it or not.

Isleņo
05-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Is she in West Bank or Israel? If she's in West Bank I know which town you are referring. There are hundreds of villages throughout the West Bank traditionally and historically Christian with a large Christian percentage of the population, but only one has a 100% Christian population to this day and that is Taybeh.
I just Facebooked her and waiting for a response. She said everyone in the town is Christian. She mostly concentrates in Palestinian towns because most Christians there are Palestinians, but she also visits Jewish towns too. She is going to be in Jerusalem tomorrow. Today was her birthday and her Christian friends there threw her a party. Today she is in Ramallah.

Isleņo
05-28-2014, 10:49 PM
I am distantly related to Palestinians not could be :) me and Faeriqueen are distant cousins believe it or not.
Seriously? Cool. I think the Jews and Palestinians should come to a new start and respect each other and their shared heritage.

Maleficent
05-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Do any of your family can read Aramaic, i can read it (Hebrew and Aramaic share the same script) but cant translate it to well, only a few.

No they can't read or write it. But sometimes there will be a drama film or documentary in which Aramaic is used and they understand quite a bit of it very well.

Yehiel
05-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Seriously? Cool. I think the Jews and Palestinians should come to a new start and respect each other and their shared heritage.

One day we will, thats for certain

Yehiel
05-28-2014, 10:51 PM
No they can't read or write it. But sometimes there will be a drama film or documentary in which Aramaic is used and they understand quite a bit of it very well.

Do you plan on learning it? such a beautiful language, i think it is the closest language to Hebrew that still exist

Maleficent
05-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Do you plan on learning it? such a beautiful language, i think it is the closest language to Hebrew that still exist

Yes of course I want to learn it one day. It'll take a lot of hard work though as I've never been good with languages and Semitic languages in particular are especially difficult for us English speakers.

Yehiel
05-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Yes of course I want to learn it one day. It'll take a lot of hard work though as I've never been good with languages and Semitic languages in particular are especially difficult for us English speakers.

Im still learning but Hebrew wasnt that hard to get the hang of. Aramaic shouldnt be that much harder if any at all, you will be fine

Maleficent
05-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Im still learning but Hebrew wasnt that hard to get the hang of. Aramaic shouldnt be that much harder if any at all, you will be fine

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Isleņo
05-29-2014, 02:57 AM

Faerie, my mother Facebooked me back finally and the town she was talking about was Jifna. But she did say Taybeh is very Christian also. She was in Jifna yesterday and Ramallah today. Tomorrow she will be in Jerusalem. She mentioned another Christian town named Birzeit.

Maleficent
05-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Faerie, my mother Facebooked me back finally and the town she was talking about was Jifna. But she did say Taybeh is very Christian also. She was in Jifna yesterday and Ramallah today. Tomorrow she will be in Jerusalem. She mentioned another Christian town named Birzeit.

:D :D :D :D :D

My father's ancestry is 75% from Birzeit and 25% from Ramallah. :)

StonyArabia
05-29-2014, 06:51 PM
It depends if they are Saudi, Yemenite, or Bahraini Jews, but if they are not its most likely they are islamized Jews. some of the Iraqi Jews do claim Arabian origins especially in the South , there was small community of Jews that lived in a Bedouin ways, I will pm you the article.Saudi Jews are Arabian converts and very close to Yemenite Jews culturally and genetically, most were concentrated in the South, but some small communities lived in the north near Iraq. If you have link here it's quite possible you are a descendant of Arabian converts. Both Himyrite and Kindah were Arabian kingdoms who embraced Judaism, several other Arabian tribes adopted this religion .

Yehiel
05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
It depends if they are Saudi, Yemenite, or Bahraini Jews, but if they are not its most likely they are islamized Jews. some of the Iraqi Jews do claim Arabian origins especially in the South , there was small community of Jews that lived in a Bedouin ways, I will pm you the article.Saudi Jews are Arabian converts and very close to Yemenite Jews culturally and genetically, most were concentrated in the South, but some small communities lived in the north near Iraq. If you have link here it's quite possible you are a descendant of Arabian converts. Both Himyrite and Kindah were Arabian kingdoms who embraced Judaism, several other Arabian tribes adopted this religion .

Thanks, will be waiting for the PM

Isleņo
05-29-2014, 11:21 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

My father's ancestry is 75% from Birzeit and 25% from Ramallah. :)
That's awesome! My mother is there with your father's people then, lol. Well at least she was yesterday. She was in Birzeit a couple of days ago. Today she is Jerusalem. She goes visits all the churches in the area and the people and has dinner with them in their houses. It's really awesome what she does. She has made many friends there. I will update you with some stories when she gets back. Maybe she has some pics that I can post for you :)