PDA

View Full Version : Avatar: Reviewing the Reviewers

Jamt
12-23-2009, 12:20 PM
By Caleb Stegall 22 December 2009

JEFFERSON COUNTY, KANSAS. I am not a film critic and what follows is not a movie review. In fact, my movie tastes run decidedly to the petite bourgeoisie, and beyond freely admitting that I enjoyed Avatar a great deal, I won’t purport to measure its intrinsic worth as a pop culture artifact at all. Instead, Avatar is becoming much more interesting, I think, as a prism through which one can read the motives, cares, and commitments of its decidedly political reviewers on the right.

Both Rod Dreher and Ross Douthat have written interesting perspectives on the theological overtones of Avatar. And more tellingly, the film has seemed, overnight, to become a punching bag for conservatives anxious to see Avatar as representing everything evil about liberal “big Hollywood.” John Podhoretz and Peter Suderman have both reviewed Avatar far more brutally—claiming it is anti-American—than Douthat’s anti-pantheism New York Times column (The native people of the movie become Keebler Elves in Podhoretz’s review and Smurfs in Suderman’s—demonstrating, I suppose, the finely honed art and stiletto wit of the movie reviewer, er, “film critic.”) Now Peter Lawler over at First Things has promised to heap another helping of scorn.

It is curious to me that this movie has so obviously touched a raw nerve and gotten under the skin of a certain set of east-coast conservatives. It reminds me a bit of the over-reaction of the same set to a certain book about granola-toting and sandal-wearing cons!

I understand and agree with, to a point, the knock on Hollywood pantheism. That said, I found Douthat’s critique of the movie to be forced and artificial. It is true that the tall blue people were a bit tree-huggy, and their primitive beliefs were certainly based on American Indian-type pantheism or nature-worship. However, the primary expression of this was the native’s belief that all the living things in their home formed an interconnected whole which the natives both oversaw as caretakers and partook of as participants. Take out the fantasy and sci-fi elements and there isn’t anything here Wendell Berry hasn’t also said.

More interesting is the question Douthat raises of why the natives are attractive, both to the central character, and, in theory, to the audience. As I’ve already said, I enjoyed the movie a good deal and in no small part because I enjoyed the depiction of the natives. Why? Am I just a naïve anti-American nativist, or a sucker for nostalgic, romantic, treacle? Or maybe I’m just a flat out tree-hugging anti-corporate anti-military liberal!

Obviously, I think not, but I will offer three possible reasons for the attraction:

1) Culture. The movie showed in creative ways a fully formed and functioning shared culture, complete with rituals, oral traditions, skills handed down, rites of passage, art, linguistic turns of phrase, etc. This is powerfully attractive in a deculturated society. We may not be able to articulate it, but we recognize it as something we no longer have.

2) Membership. The movie showed a moving example of membership and identity in what Voegelin called a “cosmion,” a little world of belonging. A “people.” Again, this is strong medicine in our world of facebook friends and warehouse shopping clubs.

3) Dispossession. As I have studied our political and cultural moment, I think one of the most powerful and confusing forces at work now is dispossession. People know intuitively that they are losing something invaluable. The film captured something of this and spoke well to this state of losing what was once yours; of confronting powerful outside forces that are only dimmly understood but are clearly destroying the people, cultures, and places you love. It articulated the desire to defend those loved things. People who feel dispossessed respond well to these things, because they feel understood. Again, Wendell Berry lamenting the destruction of Kentucky mountaintops was not far from my mind while watching Avatar.

In short, I thought of Avatar as a “fairie story” which Tolkien would have, by and large, approved. There is much more to say about pantheism and a “world full of gods,” both good and bad, but I won’t go into that now.

The question that remains then, does not directly concern Avatar at all, but the movie does become the catalyst for its asking: What is the difference between me and Empire apologists like Podhoretz and others like him?

I imagine that they do not have, and have never had, any sense of dispossession or loss. They have never loved or lived anywhere deeply enough to imagine defending it as a particular place or way. They are placeless free agents, triumphant, world-striding. Sure, the materialistic, acquisitive, military-industrial-corporate-statist complex is a cliched trope. But if the cliche fits …

I, on the other hand, instinctively and dispositionally side with William Appleman Williams, who taught us to “consider the people who lost.” Thinking about this, I am reminded of the clever manner in which, during the guerrilla warfare around Kansas City in the 1850s and 1860s, one Missouri bushwhacker commander would address his foe, the leader of the Unionist militia, in open letters published in local newspapers: he would address the letters to the “Captain, Commanding the City” and he would sign himself off as the “Captain, Commanding the Country.”

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/?p=7711

Osweo
12-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I suppose 'Avatar' must be the new Big Thing, but this is the first I've really heard about it, apart from seeing posters on the sides of buses, would you believe! ;) Maybe I'll have to take a look (perhaps in three years' time on a dubbed Russian pirate version, of course.)

Agrippa
12-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I suppose 'Avatar' must be the new Big Thing, but this is the first I've really heard about it, apart from seeing posters on the sides of buses, would you believe! ;) Maybe I'll have to take a look (perhaps in three years' time on a dubbed Russian pirate version, of course.)

Its the first really "big thing" with a huge budget for making the 3D entertainment industry more successful, for making the final breakthrough on the mass consumption market.

Considering this fact, I have to say its a great movie, the story is not fantastic, but it fits in and has some highlights, is at least ok, yet you should watch it in a 3D cinema, because otherwise you get just half of the experience probably.

Thats the way the industry wants "to force" the customer into the cinemas again, because you simply dont have the equipment at home to really enjoy it and when the equipment will be available, of course, thats a nice business too, since Blu Ray can copy the effect to a certain degree, but its by far not effective enough...

MarcvSS
12-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I didn't like it very much... its a real thin storyline covered under tons of special fx...

Btw... If people care to see it I can upload it. Also available in 3d and HD...

Addergebroed
12-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I didn't like it very much... its a real thin storyline covered under tons of special fx...

So I've heard. I'm gonna go see it with my girlfriend tonight, am curious for the 3d and special effects.

Amapola
12-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Technically the film is excellent whereas the story, characters and the script seems simple and poor to me. What made me detest the film was the over-exploited opposition -good primitive cultures vs the bad conquistators. The pseudo-ecologism made it stink as well. :no000000:

Cail
12-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Actually the film is quite deep, that's not a typical "special effects blockbuster". People just expect it to be so, because of the stereotypes (high budget = nobrainer). Of course it is not an art-house psychological drama, but for a Hollywood movie, the ideas and intellectual stratum of the film is immense. I can't remember another one like this in many years. It explores a lot of themes, from obvious (moral right to exploit alien cultures) to deeper ones (possibilities of ultimate realization of escapism through use of technology) and yet deeper (for example, how do sentient beings, despite forming socio-cultural entities deeply depend on their biological nature, and how do biological origins influence possible ways of developed civilizations). Imaginism (both visual and conceptual) is also much stronger than in most Hollywood movies.

Of course it all has to be sprinkled by typical "Hollywood movie" stereotypes, like "bad militarists vs humane scientists", stupid sense of humour et cetera, BUT it couldn't be the other way, because it has to be marketed, and market laws dictate all this, as we all know (not a compliment to modern society). I think that Cameron actually made a fantastic job here - he made a film that "works" for the average non-thinking-oriented consumer (and thus is marketable and buys itself and all those special effects) AND has quite a lot of ideas and artistic successes.

MarcvSS
12-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Actually the film is quite deep, that's not a typical "special effects blockbuster". People just expect it to be so, because of the stereotypes (high budget = nobrainer). Of course it is not an art-house psychological drama, but for a Hollywood movie, the ideas and intellectual stratum of the film is immense. I can't remember another one like this in many years. It explores a lot of themes, from obvious (moral right to exploit alien cultures) to deeper ones (possibilities of ultimate realization of escapism through use of technology) and yet deeper (for example, how do sentient beings, despite forming socio-cultural entities deeply depend on their biological nature, and how do biological origins influence possible ways of developed civilizations). Imaginism (both visual and conceptual) is also much stronger than in most Hollywood movies.

Of course it all has to be sprinkled by typical "Hollywood movie" stereotypes, like "bad militarists vs humane scientists", stupid sense of humour et cetera, BUT it couldn't be the other way, because it has to be marketed, and market laws dictate all this, as we all know (not a compliment to modern society). I think that Cameron actually made a fantastic job here - he made a film that "works" for the average non-thinking-oriented consumer (and thus is marketable and buys itself and all those special effects) AND has quite a lot of ideas and artistic successes.This, I hope, is just your opinion right?

Cail
12-23-2009, 05:54 PM
This, I hope, is just your opinion right?

What else could it be?

MarcvSS
12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
What else could it be?Fair enough...

DeusEx
12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
This movie remind me indians in space.

nisse
12-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I just saw the movie and to me, the story was the most important part.

I thought the corporate involvement/exploitation of natives was a very minor point of the story, which, IMO, focused on religion and the conversion of Jake from the modern mindset to that of nature-worship. How embracing his humanity made him complete and expelled "evil" from him. On an (even more) personal note, I liked the role science played in the story :). Of course, all of this could be just me, since the spiritual beliefs of the blue people are a lot like mine, but that doesn't change a thing - the text is mine to read :)

A bit of a SPOILER:

I think some of the most important moments of the movie was when Jake talks to the Tree of Souls and asks "nature" to look into Grace's memories to see that we've killed our mother :( and when the army guy shows his video log where he says we have nothing to offer the blue people.

Beorn
01-05-2010, 02:36 AM
Maybe I'll have to take a look (perhaps in three years' time on a dubbed Russian pirate version, of course.)

Why wait so long? Avatar with dodgy Russian subtitles. (http://loombo.com/524ooj4iwa1i/avatar.gds.avi.html)

SwordoftheVistula
01-05-2010, 07:41 AM
I saw this movie last week, the special effects are good, but the plot is lame and the characters are very stereotypical and one-dimensional. The plot seems copied from a cartoon movie I saw when I was a kid called Ferngully, also the battle scenes reminded me of Star Wars Episode 1 a lot. Also many gaps in logic, for example bows & arrows penetrating the cockpits of helicopter gunships in the last battle scene, whereas previously they had been unable to do so. If you can see the movie in 3D Imax then it's worth seeing, but otherwise definately not.

Agrippa
01-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Also many gaps in logic, for example bows & arrows penetrating the cockpits of helicopter gunships in the last battle scene, whereas previously they had been unable to do so.

Those were smaller, the typical poison-arrows, fired from the ground.

In the last battle scene they used obviously bigger and heavier arrows, fired from above and at a closer distance. So they didnt mention those change of the strategy and equipment in the movie, but it was logical to adapt to the new conditions and shown clearly.