PDA

View Full Version : Survey shows deep class divide in reading habits

Elsa
03-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Survey shows deep class divide in reading habits (http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/11/survey-class-divide-reading-habits)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/3/10/1394472039186/Bedtime-story-011.jpg

New research shows a stark and "worrying" cultural divide in the UK when it comes to reading, with half the country picking up a book at least once a week for pleasure, and 45% preferring television.

The England-wide survey of the reading habits of 1,500 adults conducted by DJS Research for Booktrust (http://www.booktrust.org.uk/usr/library/documents/main/1576-booktrust-reading-habits-report-final.pdf) [PDF] says that on average, the higher the socio-economic group that someone is in, the more often they read: 27% of DEs never read books themselves, compared with 13% of ABs, while 62% of ABs read daily or weekly, compared with 42% of DEs. Reading charity Booktrust, which commissioned the research, believes its findings should serve as a warning that "Britain's divided reading culture is a barrier to social mobility".

The study indicates "links between deprivation and not reading books", said Booktrust, with those who never read living in more deprived areas, with a higher proportion of children living in poverty, and those who read less "more likely to be male, under 30, and have lower levels of qualifications, happiness, and satisfaction within their lives".

One respondent, a male who fell into the survey's 30-44 years age bracket, told researchers: "The fact is, it's 2013 not 1813. We have electricity now so we can buy DVDs and watch television rather than read books. Books are for an older generation, younger people on the whole do not read books."

Overall, nearly a fifth of adults surveyed (18%) said they never read physical books at all, and 56% said they believe the internet and computers will replace books in the next 20 years. This figure rises to 64% among 18 to 30-year-olds, said Booktrust. Twenty-seven per cent of respondents said they preferred the internet, and social media, to reading books, with this proportion rising to 56% for 18 to 30-year-old respondents.

Although most of those who read regularly told the researchers that this improves their life, this was more pronounced for higher social-economic groups, said Booktrust, with 85% of ABs saying reading helps to make them feel good, compared to 69% of DEs.

The research also shows the "significant" link between a family's reading habits and a child's future attitude to reading, with 89% of respondents whose parents read to them as children reading regularly to their own children, compared to 72% of respondents whose parents didn't read to them. Booktrust is "concerned that this divided reading culture is leading to large numbers of children missing out on the benefits of books", and is running a conference on Tuesday at which figures including children's laureate Malorie Blackman, and the MPs Alan Johnson and Liam Fox, will attempt to kick start a national conversation about improving social mobility by encouraging reading earlier.

Elsa
03-12-2014, 10:45 AM
The abbreviations in the article:
ABs - Upper and middle class
DEs - Working class

Loki
03-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Very true and sad.

Graham
03-12-2014, 10:57 AM
DE and Ab are commonly the opposite in opinions. Have read many of the political polls used for North of the border.

Sadly the only read many have, comes from Press sources.

( I don't read fictional books at all)

Fintorah
03-14-2014, 12:53 AM
I already knew this, but it's disturbing to see nonetheless. With the lack of interest in reading, men are also attending college at lower rates. I also attribute reading as being a pathway to critical thinking and higher imaginative and creative abilities. If social media and television completely replace books, the world will be worse for it.

Honestly, I don't know how people can even live long, fulfilling lives without reading.

1stLightHorse
03-14-2014, 01:33 AM
What always bothered me in school are the students (mostly from lower-class backgrounds) who want information just given to them. They want you to tell them everything and be spoon-fed.

I came from a lower-class background myself and half the battle is to admit that you or your family have a problem instead of this tribal, defensive, loyalty mentality that they usually display. Being disciplined in reading and comprehension is simple and you can habitualize it. By the end of the session you'll have everything figured out. It's usually lazy and naturally stupid people that never figure this out and most of them rightly so, are in the lower classes.

At the end of the day, you can't hold a gun to someone's head and force them to apply themselves.

Smaug
03-14-2014, 01:37 AM
Sad. I myself have read two books in the past two months. Started the third one this week. :)