PDA

View Full Version : Teen Marijuana Use Might Have Lasting Effects on Mood, Anxiety

Äike
12-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Full article here:Teen Marijuana Use Might Have Lasting Effects on Mood, Anxiety (http://healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=634359)

WEDNESDAY, Dec. 23 (HealthDay News) -- Marijuana use among teens may trigger neurological changes in the developing brain that lead to increased anxiety and stress levels that could persist into adulthood, new animal research suggests.

Although the finding stems solely from work conducted with adolescent and adult lab rats -- not yet replicated among humans -- the work suggests that certain troublesome changes in levels of the key brain chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine may linger long after marijuana use ceases.

"Here, the goal was simply to understand the neurological mechanism that could be underlying the specific phenomenon of depression and anxiety observed in previous studies among adolescents chronically exposed to cannabis," explained study author Dr. Gabriella Gobbi, a psychiatric researcher at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre in Montreal.

"And what we found with the animals we worked with is that when those that were exposed to cannabis as adolescents became adults they had low serotonin activity, which is related to depressive behavior, and high norepinephrine levels, which is related to an increase in anxiety and stress," Gobbi continued.

"This means," she cautioned, "that cannabis exposure when young seems to cause changes in the adult brain. And these changes could perhaps be irreversible, even if you stop consuming cannabis."

Birka
12-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, that always seems to happen to the rats I hang out with.

Fortis in Arduis
12-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Indeed, do not underestimate the weed.

Cannabis was my worst enemy as a teenager, and when I was a teenager we had proper ecstasy pills with 250mg of MDMA in them, called 'doves' and 'swans', and you would take ONE and that was you gone for hours and hours...

Nothing warps the mind like cannabis, and there is an epidemic of disorders like ADHD, OCD, and more, not to mention schizophrenia, triggered by the green weed...