PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Graciosa Island - All About Portugal

Atlantic Islander
03-14-2014, 08:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IN2x6Ci.jpg

Things to do in Graciosa Island are linked to the many natural wonders of this amazing place where the Atlantic waters contrast with the volcanic landscape.

Things to do in Graciosa Island are one of its highlights along with its hotels, restaurants and gastronomy. Graciosa is the perfect place to enjoy il dolce far niente. The beauty of the landscape invites us to relaxation and long walks.

My favourite things to do in Graciosa Island

One of my top things to do in Graciosa Island is to wander around the villages, enjoying the traditional architecture of white houses that contrasts with the landscape painted with the dark tones of the volcanic and basalt rocks.

The Island has many natural wonders waiting for us. Discovering them is one of the best things to do in Graciosa Island. Graciosa Cauldron is the most iconic highlights of the Island. The magnificent circular depression on the place where used to be the top of the volcano that gave birth to Graciosa Island has 1600 meters of diameter and 350 meters depth. Classified as Regional Natural Monument the Cauldron houses the famed Furnas do Enxofre (Sulphur Cave). Furnas do Enxofre is a volcanic phenomenon consisting of a lagoon of warm and sulfurous waters inside a cave. On the crest of Graciosa Cauldron there is Maria Encantada Cave, a magnificent promontory formed by a lava tube of about 60 meters long.

http://i.imgur.com/XdfmH8J.jpg

The Natural Swimming Pools in Santa Cruz da Graciosa and in Carapacho are one of the best things to do in Graciosa Island. It’s a true pleasure to dive in the profound blue waters of the Atlantic surrounded by the dark colours of the volcanic and basaltic rock formations.

Enjoying the scenery from the natural Viewpoints of Monte da Ajuda is one of my top things to do in Graciosa Island. There are no words to describe the image of the beautiful Santa Cruz village and the Atlantic ahead.

One of the most sought for things to do in Graciosa Island is the Carapacho Thermal Waters, suitable for rheumatics and skin problems.

For those willing to find out more of about the rural lifestyle and history of the Island I advise a visit to the Ethnographic Museum in Santa Cruz.

source (http://www.all-about-portugal.com/things-to-do-in-graciosa-island/)

Graciosa Island history - All About Portugal

http://i.imgur.com/pKGusiF.jpg

Graciosa Island is the second smallest island of the Azores archipelago. It was named as White Island by the Portuguese poet Raul Brandão due to its beauty.

Graciosa Island is of the Central Group of the Azores archipelago. The surface of the Island is about 61 sq. km. being therefore the second smallest island of the archipelago. Graciosa Island, also baptized as the White Island by the Portuguese poet Raul Brandão, is also the flattest and driest.

The development of Graciosa Island

The exact date of its discovery is uncertain yet it is believed that Portuguese navigators explored it during the first quarter of the 15th century. It is also believed that the first settlers came to Graciosa Island from Terceira Island and it is certain that Henry the Navigator ordered cattle and swine to be brought to the Island in 1440.

The first settlers gathered around the area that now is named Carapacho, on the southeast side of Graciosa Island. Shortly after the arrival, settlers moved inwards due to the poor fertile soils and the lack of shelter from the sea. In search of more favourable grounds, settlers established a colony in the area of today’s village of Santa Cruz da Graciosa. On the other hand, a second captaincy was established around Praia village. In 1485 Santa Cruz become the municipal seat and the main administrative centre of Graciosa Island. After being elevated to village and municipality, Santa Cruz attracted a large number of settlers from Beiras, Minho and Flanders.

Graciosa Island’s prosperity awoke the greed of pirates and corsairs who attacked the island during the 16th and 17th centuries.

Since the early years, Graciosa Island’s economy was based on agriculture and wine industry. The main exports were wheat, barley, wine and other spirits. The main destination of these products was Terceira Island.

Throughout the centuries, Graciosa Island endured several natural disasters such as heat waves or earthquakes. The natural crisis contributed to the agriculture decline and the Island’s economy never recovered from the plague that hit the vineyards in the second half of the 19th century.

The poor economic conditions led to an emigration flow to the USA from the 1950´s to the 1070´s. The resulting demographics decrease affected even more the socio-economic situation of the Island as the population was cut almost in half. Nowadays Graciosa Island has around 5,000 inhabitants. Their main occupation still is agriculture, viticulture and cattle farming. The production of dairy products is the main source of income.

source (http://www.all-about-portugal.com/graciosa-island/)