PDA

View Full Version : [SPLIT] Uyghurs in China

Osweo
12-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Now now Osweo, why have a chronic attack? Her nationality is Chinese - whether we like it or not, just like you and I are British - whether we like it or not.
:rage
Her citizenship pertains to the 'People's Republic of China'.
The PRC follows Stalin's policy on the national question within Marxism. The state recognises the division of the population in the territories under its control into fifty-odd nationalities. Every Chinese citizen will have written in their documents their nationality, and it is not 'Chinese' in your understanding of the term, but Han, Uygur, Manchu etc.
As for which 'People' the PRC is named after, well... use your imagination.
'British' in the Uygur context is perhaps best compared with 'Eastern Turkestani', in so far as the Uygurs share their land, history and culture with Mongols, Kazakhs, Tajiks, even a few Russians and Tatars. Han Chinese are recent and heavy footed intruders into this, comparable in their incongruity to the Pakistanis, Indians and Caribbeans that live in our island, thanks to being part of our former Empire and 'Commonwealth'. Pure legalism, lacking in real content from a national perspective. 'British', however, is far more substantial a concept, as there is a degree of shared blood on these islands.

If the Uygur girl grew up to be a Nationalist, would she be extolling the virtues of Confucius, dog-eating and Feng Shui? It's absurd to call her 'Chinese'.

Their misuse is annoying, and it's solely a result of modern confusion and artificial attempts of nation building.
Exactly, and I am rather dismayed to have to defend the more rational usage on a forum specifically created to pay attention to the ethnic aspect of international human affairs. :(

Psychonaut
12-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Oswiu is entirely correct here in that that Chinese people rarely, in Chinese, refer to themselves as such. More often, I'll hear (Han speakers) refer to themselves as Han. Chinese minorities that I've known have always been quite upfront about that when introducing themselves as well. There is no conception of a "Chinese" ethnicity over there. Chinese culture is generally synonymous with the Han, but non-Han Chinese will usually be quick to inform you that they are not Han.