PDA

View Full Version : Are the Welsh racist towards the English?

TheBlondeSalad
03-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Just a few examples why I think this could be the case:

- on the rare occasion they beat England at any sport, the whole country celebrates as if they have won a world cup

- speaking welsh when they know English are nearby

- giving the English Charlotte Church

Your views?

GrebluBro
03-17-2014, 07:24 PM
you mean brothers racist to each other?

Tooting Carmen
03-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Just a few examples why I think this could be the case:

- On the rare occasion they beat England at any sport, the whole country celebrates as if they have won a world cup

So do the Scots.

- Speaking welsh when they know English are nearby

It is the native language of many Welsh people believe it or not, which they have the right to use whether or not English people may be around.

- giving the English Charlotte Church

There are plenty of worse singers in the world - from England and elsewhere - than her.

Anyway, to answer the OP, some Welsh people can be racist against the English, most aren't. Besides, considering the degree of colonisation, repression and attempts by the English from the 16th century onwards to forcibly kill off the Welsh language, the amount of true hostility is remarkably small in fact.

Tooting Carmen
03-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Btw, there are, proportionately, at least as many English people who dislike the Welsh as the reverse.

TheBlondeSalad
03-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Btw, there are, proportionately, at least as many English people who dislike the Welsh as the reverse.

Do the sheep jokes offend you?

Ataman
03-17-2014, 11:30 PM
I think the Irish dislike the English/British more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP6oWExnoRQ

Tooting Carmen
03-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Do the sheep jokes offend you?

They are OK in doses, but they get annoying after a while. But it goes beyond that though. The truth is that there are very few Welsh people - certainly who sound Welsh - in UK politics or the media. They are just left out.

Panormus
03-17-2014, 11:39 PM
My girlfriend always says that English people are really racist against Welsh ....they are considered peasants

Also
03-17-2014, 11:43 PM
My girlfriend always says that English people are really racist against Welsh ....they are considered peasants

Isn't everyone considered a peasant by the English?

Styrian Mujo
03-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Isn't everyone considered a peasant by the English?
And rightfully so.

TheBlondeSalad
03-17-2014, 11:56 PM
And rightfully so.

Could your nose get any browner? http://i.imgur.com/LjElGKY.gif

wvwvw
03-18-2014, 12:12 AM
you mean brothers racist to each other?

Man lost FIVE INCHES of his skull after horrific racist attack by Welsh thugs - because he was English
WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
Electrician says he was attacked by six thugs when they heard his Birmingham accent
Had to have five-inch piece of his skull removed to reduce pressure on his swollen brain
Will have to wait six months for a metal plate to replace the missing section of his caved-in skull
By ANNA EDWARDS
PUBLISHED: 12:12 GMT, 8 January 2013 | UPDATED: 19:59 GMT, 8 January 2013

A visitor to Wales was beaten so badly that he had to have part of his skull removed - and he believes he was the victim of an 'anti-English' attack.
Paul Meehan, 27, has released horrific pictures which reveal how a huge five-inch section of his skull was removed following the assault which left him fighting for his life in hospital.
Doctors had to perform extensive surgery to release the pressure on his swollen brain and then wrote 'no bone' on the tape around his head.

Electrician Paul, from London, was enjoying a night out on October 28 with his family in the Welsh capital Cardiff when he was attacked.
He claims six thugs heard him speaking with an English accent and launched a brutal assault, punching and kicking him in the head before they left him lying in the street.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/08/article-2258964-16CE5EC5000005DC-975_306x423.jpg

Paul grew up in Cardiff and had a slight Welsh accent when he was younger.
But he moved to Birmingham in his late teens where he picked up the region's accent which his attackers heard.
Paul was assaulted at a taxi rank after a night out with his fiance Laura Landeg, 22, and relatives in the Welsh capital.
He said: 'It was an unprovoked attack - they heard my accent, it was nothing more than that.
'I've always had a good time in Cardiff but I've been out before when this sort of thing has happened to other people.
'It could have turned into a murder case quite easily which is scary to think about.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2258964/Anti-English-assault-victim-large-section-skull-removed-horrific-street-attack-thugs-Cardiff.html#ixzz2wGi9ykUr

wvwvw
03-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Thugs slash horse's face in 'anti-English attack' in Wales
A foal's face was slashed and anti-English graffiti daubed across a barn by thugs who failed to realise their targets were actually Welsh.
The seven-month-old pony, called Hope, was left with a four-inch wound to her nose after vandals attacked her in a field in the west Wales countryside.
They also sprayed graffiti written in Welsh slang, meaning "English out", across the barn door after mistaking Alison, 36, and David Hayes, 43, for an English couple.
Scroll down for more...
{2}
The couple were both born and bred in Wales and decided to move to the countryside from Cardiff a year ago.
They set up home in Cilgerran, near Cardigan, five months ago and bought eight acres of land intending to start their own riding school.
Mrs Hayes said: "This is a Welsh-speaking area and they might have mistaken our Cardiff accents for English, that is all I can think.
“This was an incredibly cruel thing to do. Hope is a beautiful, friendly animal and she was slashed across the face and mouth.
“The motivation of these people was ridiculous and to take it out on an innocent horse was wicked.
"Hope loved being around people but now I can't get near her. She is terrified."
She added: “Everyone around here seemed to be so sweet. No-one had a bad word to say to us. But, obviously, not everyone has a welcome for us.
“The fools who did this didn't even realise we were their fellow countrymen.”
Dyfed-Powys Police are investigating the attack.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-557741/Thugs-slash-horses-face-anti-English-attack-Wales.html#ixzz2wGjWMRzG

wvwvw
03-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Family attacked by Welsh yob for ‘being English’

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/resources/images/691239.jpg?type=articlePortrait
SHOCKED: Paula and Lee Owen were subjected to racist abuse

A BOLTON family who were pelted with stones by a youth because they were English have said they will never return to the Welsh town where the attack took place.

Lee and Paula Owen, who live in Bennetts Lane, Halliwell, were on the sixth day of a holiday to celebrate their fourth wedding anniversary when they were subjected to racist abuse from a teenage hoodie.

The 16-year-old youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, threw rocks and stones at the family as they waited for a train in the small town of Blaenau Ffestiniog.

One rock hit Mrs Owen on her arm and narrowly missed the couple’s daughter, Katie, aged two.

Mr Owen, who is part-Welsh, and his son, Charlie, aged 14, chased the youth and even tried to take a picture of him with a mobile phone. However, the teenager covered his face with the hooded jacket he was wearing.

Mrs Owen, aged 37, said: “I was shocked and horrified. I now know how ethnic minorities feel when they are subjected to racial abuse.

“I was in fear for my daughter because the rock missed her by inches. I was also worried about my husband and son because they chased after him. Anything could have happened.”

Mrs Owen, who works at the DRL call centre in Bolton, was taken to hospital in Bangor for x-rays after the attack and treated for a badly bruised arm.

She wore a sling for two days and the family cut short their holiday to return to Bolton.

She added: “I actually thought the boy had taken something but I was told that his behaviour was normal.

“It was an anniversary I will never forget but for all the wrong reasons. It has made me quite wary of hoodies. If that was my son behaving that way, I would be mortified. It is bad enough when you get a phone call from school, saying he hasn’t done his homework.”
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/3743711.Family_attacked_by_Welsh_yob_for____being_ English___/

Catkin
03-18-2014, 07:09 PM
Thugs slash horse's face in 'anti-English attack' in Wales
A foal's face was slashed and anti-English graffiti daubed across a barn by thugs who failed to realise their targets were actually Welsh.
The seven-month-old pony, called Hope, was left with a four-inch wound to her nose after vandals attacked her in a field in the west Wales countryside.
They also sprayed graffiti written in Welsh slang, meaning "English out", across the barn door after mistaking Alison, 36, and David Hayes, 43, for an English couple.
Scroll down for more...
{2}
The couple were both born and bred in Wales and decided to move to the countryside from Cardiff a year ago.
They set up home in Cilgerran, near Cardigan, five months ago and bought eight acres of land intending to start their own riding school.
Mrs Hayes said: "This is a Welsh-speaking area and they might have mistaken our Cardiff accents for English, that is all I can think.
“This was an incredibly cruel thing to do. Hope is a beautiful, friendly animal and she was slashed across the face and mouth.
“The motivation of these people was ridiculous and to take it out on an innocent horse was wicked.
"Hope loved being around people but now I can't get near her. She is terrified."
She added: “Everyone around here seemed to be so sweet. No-one had a bad word to say to us. But, obviously, not everyone has a welcome for us.
“The fools who did this didn't even realise we were their fellow countrymen.”
Dyfed-Powys Police are investigating the attack.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2wGjWMRzG

How could anyone do that? It's bad enough targeting people, but animals? Some kind of evil. There are people like that everywhere though.

I've personally never experienced racism in Wales, nor witnessed it in England against the Welsh, beyond friendly teasing. I guess it must happen though.

Graham
03-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Only the ones that like to burn down cottages.

Peikko
03-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Is that really racist? I consider people from other parts of Finland as peasants too.

Graham
03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
A few years ago, a welsh man told my dad' to fuck off back home then'.. Because my dad said their chippies are poor compared to our ones, in a Cardiff chip shop. Chippy war.

Catkin
03-18-2014, 07:26 PM
A few years ago, a welsh man told my dad' to fuck off back home then'.. Because my dad said their chiippies are poor compared to our ones, in a Cardiff chip shop. Chippy war.

Serious stuff! :D He was lucky he wasn't lynched.

Graham
03-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Serious stuff! :D He was lucky he wasn't lynched.

The Welsh are pansies. Bunch o' softies. ;) ( in no way, am I bitter about the recent rugby gubbin' :rolleyes:)

Pretan
03-18-2014, 07:34 PM
A few years ago, a welsh man told my dad' to fuck off back home then'.. Because my dad said their chippies are poor compared to our ones, in a Cardiff chip shop. Chippy war.

The Welshman probably had a chip on his shoulder. :D

Graham
03-18-2014, 07:35 PM
The Welshman probably had a chip on his shoulder. :D

Boom boom. I'd chip in with a good pun. But I have none.

Ivan Kramskoï
03-18-2014, 07:41 PM
English and welsh are part of th same race.
There can't be any racism between them.

TheBlondeSalad
03-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Admit it though...my third point is definitely true lol

Charlotte Church is pretty rubbish

Pretan
03-18-2014, 07:44 PM

Haha, very good. I would continue the pun myself, but my chips have been down lately.

Catkin
03-18-2014, 07:46 PM

Lol, you seem very chipper this evening!

I'm regretting posting this before I've even posted it.

Graham
03-18-2014, 07:47 PM

It's not much different to a Cockney getting abuse in Liverpool, or a Scouser in Manchester. You know some people get tribal in wrong ways. I mean I had my windows smashed once upon a time along with others, because my council estate is against other areas. Shit happens.

Catkin
03-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Admit it though...my third point is definitely true lol

Charlotte Church is pretty rubbish

Well yes, you do make an excellent point.

TheBlondeSalad
03-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Well yes, you do make an excellent point.

Indeed :rotfl

I like it how you guys didn't take it too seriously (cus it was not meant to be) :P

Smaug
03-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Not enough.

Smaug
03-18-2014, 07:59 PM

No, the English are Germanic, the Welsh, Celtic.

Catkin
03-18-2014, 08:07 PM
No, the English are Germanic, the Welsh, Celtic.

Yes, you see the change the instant you cross the border :rolleyes:

Smaug
03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Yes, you see the change the instant you cross the border :rolleyes:

Unfortunately not, the English were very successful in destroying the local culture, now only 20% of the Welsh speak Welsh.

armenianbodyhair
03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
I think the English are more prejudiced towards the Welsh than the Welsh are towards the English.

Catkin
03-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Unfortunately not, the English were very successful in destroying the local culture, now only 20% of the Welsh speak Welsh.

Are you the aforementioned man with the fried potato at the top of his arm?

Not that I'm dismissing your concerns.

You don't like us, I understand :)

Smaug
03-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Are you the aforementioned man with the fried potato at the top of his arm?

Not that I'm dismissing your concerns.

You don't like us, I understand :)

No, I'm not him, I'm part Scottish too, it couldn't be me. And I don't hate the English, I've even got English ancestry down the line, from York, I just don't want people to make the Welsh look as the bad guys, when they are actually the victims of centuries of subordination to the English. As I have stated earlier in this thread, the Welsh are very neutral towards the English if we take into consideration what History shows us.

Catkin
03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
I just don't want people to make the Welsh look as the bad guys, when they are actually the victims of centuries of subordination to the English. As I have stated earlier in this thread, the Welsh are very neutral towards the English if we take into consideration what History shows us.

We humbly appreciate your generosity

Smaug
03-18-2014, 09:00 PM
We humbly appreciate your generosity

I've got an English friend who is the same age as me and therefore, belongs to the same generation as me. We meet every saturday, she always takes the micky out me claiming she doesn't trust me because I'm Welsh, having said this, I conclude it goes both ways regarding these nations.

Prisoner Of Ice
03-18-2014, 09:03 PM
The Welsh are only racist towards people from the eastern half of Uganda.

Neon Knight
04-04-2014, 10:20 PM
It's not much different to a Cockney getting abuse in Liverpool, or a Scouser in Manchester. You know some people get tribal in wrong ways. I mean I had my windows smashed once upon a time along with others, because my council estate is against other areas. Shit happens.Yeah, it's not racism - it's tribalism. We could even say it is 'accentism'.

Catkin
04-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Yeah, it's not racism - it's tribalism. We could even say it is 'accentism'.

You're right. I know in many ways it is good to have the variety of accents we have within the UK and the heritage associated with each, but accents are a cause of so much division and strife here. Your accent does not necessarily represent where you were born or even where your parents are from, but generally just where you grew up and went to school. Yet on hearing your accent people immediately make judgements on your geographical and family background, education, social class, likely job, likely hobbies and interests, and even where you're likely to shop. They also make judgements on whether or not they're likely to get on with you. Accents are incredibly restricting and I don't think people have the freedom they would have if the whole of the British Isles had the same accent.

Again, I like the diversity of accents in principle, I just don't like the judgements that are made based on them.

Graham
04-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Social class is probably a bigger division of hate than nationality. Can't speak for the whole of Britain. But here private schooled Scots are disliked more than the English. The Upper class Scots are disliked more than any working class Englishman.

A Glaswegian would see themself as closer to to a Scouser or Geordie, than to a Scots Laird.

Catkin
04-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Social class is probably a bigger division of hate than nationality. Can't speak for the whole of Britain. But here private schooled Scots are disliked more than the English. The Upper class Scots are disliked more than any working class Englishman.

A Glaswegian would see themself as closer to to a Scouser or Geordie, than to a Scots Laird.

Exactly! And I don't know if it is the same elsewhere but in England the biggest thing that instantly defines your social class is your accent. Causing conflict even within a nationality. I don't like it.

Jackson
04-04-2014, 10:59 PM
We are occasionally 'racist' (i hate that word) towards each other, but usually it's light hearted, or at least nothing serious. Although there are occasional more serious incidents, like English people getting beaten up in Wales for being English (and perhaps the opposite in England, i don't know?) and there were some attacks on English holiday homes some years back apparently. Generally we get on reasonably well, although one Welsh guy i used to know did consider himself in enemy territory while studying here, so perhaps there's a deeper hatred beneath the surface.

Catkin
04-04-2014, 11:06 PM
one Welsh guy i used to know did consider himself in enemy territory while studying here

:picard1: I think some people just like the drama.

Smaug
04-04-2014, 11:15 PM
:picard1: I think some people just like the drama.

Don't we all my lovely lassie? :D

Catkin
04-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Don't we all my lovely lassie? :D

That wasn't the response I was expecting from you! I'd battened down the hatches ready for an attack due to my possibly perceived besmirching of a Welshman xD

Yay!

Smaug
04-04-2014, 11:45 PM
That wasn't the response I was expecting from you! I'd battened down the hatches ready for an attack due to my possibly perceived besmirching of a Welshman xD

Yay!

I guess it is more than one "boyo who likes drama". What explains that? Why this Welshman who was studying in England made such statement? Why me, a diasporian, support the idea of a free Cymru? It's a feeling that is passed from our ancestors to us perhaps? Who knows.