PDA

View Full Version : Pontic Greeks group pics => Who they look closer racially? Answer POLL

GrebluBro
03-22-2014, 03:56 PM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7671/livemediausers6albid752.jpghttp://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7671/livemediausers6albid752.jpghttp://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7671/livemediausers6albid752.jpghttp://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7671/livemediausers6albid752.jpg

Sikeliot
03-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Intermediate between normal Greeks and the Caucasus, I'd say.

GrebluBro
03-22-2014, 04:20 PM
What percent pass as normal Greeks?

Sikeliot
03-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Individually most could pass, but as a group they look more like Georgians than Greeks.
Pontic Greeks are mostly Colchians.

MINARDOWICZ
03-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Cypriots... Just a lil lighter it seems.

GrebluBro
03-22-2014, 09:56 PM
up

interes
03-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Like armenians or Azeris or Circassians

Sikeliot
03-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Pontians are genetically a Caucasus population.

Shah-Jehan
03-22-2014, 10:05 PM
like Georgians, so like Transcaucasians or South Caucasians.

Casandrinos
03-22-2014, 10:16 PM
They fit with other Greeks more than anyone else.

I can see why people say Caucasus though.

Dianatomia
03-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Can someone post haplogroups of Pontian Greeks? That would be very helpful in deciding who they are. We don't have to guess as to whether they are a Caucasus population. In these pictures many can pass in Greece. Some may have Caucasus admixture. They looks a bit like Cypriots too.

Sikeliot
03-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Can someone post haplogroups of Pontian Greeks? That would be very helpful in deciding who they are. We don't have to guess as to whether they are a Caucasus population. In these pictures many can pass in Greece. Some may have Caucasus admixture. They looks a bit like Cypriots too.

Genetic results on 23andme seem to show they are like the Caucasus peoples.

Scholarios
03-23-2014, 12:56 AM
I'm biased. They look like Greeks to me. When I see Georgidns they look exotically beautiful. These people just look like Meds. With some exotic individuals thrown in- and by exotic I just mean Anatolian.

Sikeliot
03-23-2014, 12:58 AM
I'm biased. They look like Greeks to me. When I see Georgidns they look exotically beautiful. These people just look like Meds. With some exotic individuals thrown in- and by exotic I just mean Anatolian.

Do we know they are all Pontians?

wvwvw
03-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Pontic Greeks is not a separate catergory of Greeks. Sikeliot is misleading people when she she is talking about "results" of Pontic "Greeks" that have either partially Pontic ancestry, or have been born in Abhkasia or central Asia or are Azov "Greeks". These people have very little to do with Pontic Greeks from Greece and don't even come from the same places that Pontic Greeks come from. Most Pontic Greeks score today as South, East Greeks etc just a little bit more West Asian. Stop misleading people about POntic Greeks, there is a reason there isn't a category of Pontic Greeks or Anatolian Greeks anymore.

Trun
03-23-2014, 01:03 AM
There are some similarities between them and Eastern Thracian refugees. I don't know the explanation.

Archduke for example can easily fit among them. Me as well (though I have no refugees in my family).

Roy
03-23-2014, 01:04 AM
They look similar to other Greeks according to me.

Scholarios
03-23-2014, 01:08 AM
Do we know they are all Pontians?

It's possible they aren't all. Or they are diaspora so they mixed with other Greeks. But look at that first photo. Except like 1 maybe 2 guys- it's just a representative photo of Greece.

Here is Theocaris Theokarides- he's a Pontian medical biologist who just came up with a diet to treat autism

http://greece.greekreporter.com/files/Theocharis-Theocharides-Professor-of-Pharmacology.jpg

LightHouse89
03-23-2014, 01:11 AM
like Georgians, so like Transcaucasians or South Caucasians.

some look alittle Turkish to me. but like western turks who can also pass in the Caucasus area.

Sikeliot
03-23-2014, 01:42 AM
Pontic Greeks is not a separate catergory of Greeks. Sikeliot is misleading people when she she is talking about "results" of Pontic "Greeks" that have either partially Pontic ancestry, or have been born in Abhkasia or central Asia or are Azov "Greeks". These people have very little to do with Pontic Greeks from Greece and don't even come from the same places that Pontic Greeks come from. Most Pontic Greeks score today as South, East Greeks etc just a little bit more West Asian. Stop misleading people about POntic Greeks, there is a reason there isn't a category of Pontic Greeks or Anatolian Greeks anymore.

Not entirely true; the people I share with who have surrnames on their "family surnames" ending in -idis also score elevated "Middle Eastern".

1stLightHorse
03-23-2014, 01:48 AM
Not entirely true; the people I share with who have surrnames on their "family surnames" ending in -idis also score elevated "Middle Eastern".

Have greeks historically always been the same people??

Like pelasgians, minoans, mycenaeans, dorians, trojans etc...Phenotypically did they differ? also what about y-dna lineages?

Sikeliot
03-23-2014, 01:52 AM
Have greeks historically always been the same people??

Like pelasgians, minoans, mycenaeans, dorians, trojans etc...Phenotypically did they differ? also what about y-dna lineages?

I am unsure but they do differ a bit now. Well, certain groups of Greeks differ from the core.

Central, southern, and island Greeks are similar. Northern Greeks are northern shifted, Cretans are more Anatolian, and Dodecanese are like Sicilians.

Faklon
03-23-2014, 03:11 AM
I'm thinking of throwing fireworks in this thread,should I?

Vesuvian Sky
03-23-2014, 03:17 AM
Pelasgians are theoretically non-IE people and Minoans definitely were. We don't have aDNA autosomal components for these groups like there is say for Oetzi or LaBrana but probably both these groups would have been nearly all West Asian, East Med etc. component wise. They represent a theoretical pre-Indo-European genetic makeup. Since the Mycenaeans were an IE people, they were probably a mix of North European plus West Asian and Med. components, the later two acquired after early IE invasion of Greece.

Regardless, things never stay constant over for 1000 years let alone 500 so component differences from ancient people today versus what is now present in a given region is never going to be exactly the same.

La-Brana is a good example of this.

GrebluBro
03-23-2014, 03:28 AM
I'm thinking of throwing fireworks in this thread,should I?

you should

Faklon
03-23-2014, 05:40 AM
you should

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20529910.jpg

There will certainly be political bias in all this.

Anyway,most of people in these groups you posted will "pass" in present Greece with 2-3 being rather light pigmented and certainly of Near-Eastern direction,they show some variety aswell imo.The number is probably smaller in the way I would imagine generic mainland Greeks.After joining these forums and heard all this about Pontians and Anatolians,I've been looking into the surnames of some of the people I see posted here and in other galleries and it's true that a lot of the time the "atypical" people have Pontic Greek names and less so Anatolian Greek which corresponds to some real life experiences aswell.The atypical doesn't have to mean always dark which it does a lot of time and NOT EVERY ATYPICAL PERSON HAS A PONTIC GREEK NAME.What I'm writing may be used for propaganda and since it's a Eurocentric forum you may hear things like "hellenized turks,not real Greeks..." when Pontic Greeks spoke Greek already afaik but it's honest observations.I'm 1/4 Anatolian Greek myself btw(name indicates islander origin),rest being around Thessaly,Central Greece and West Greece afaik.My grandfather from there had light eyes,don't know much about the rest(never met him) but I know that when refugees from Anatolia fled to Thessaly among some stereotypes,there were also stereotypes about their physical appearance.These don't have to depict reality in such a grand scale of course but it's true they existed.

And lol@Raine,weren't you claiming random "darkish" people as Pontians the other day without their name indicating it?

Anyway,don't turn this to woggy Pontians this that.