PDA

View Full Version : US Marine criticises womens' dress standards in Darwin

Brynhild
01-06-2010, 02:43 AM
A US Marine Captain has angered women in Darwin after criticising their dress standards.

The Northern Territory News reports Captain John Campbell made the comments in a letter to the editor of that paper after a night out in the Top End.

The captain said the women of Darwin wore little clothing in a bid to get men's attention.

"It's about having standards, ladies," he wrote in the letter published yesterday.

"What are standards? Well, it can begin by dressing in a manner that leaves something to the imagination, to say the least."

"Ladies have been conned into thinking that just because you have it means you should flaunt it."

"Come on ladies, don't send us mixed messages. That's what you do every time you dress with less than nothing on."

Several Darwin locals angered by the captain's comments responded to the Northern Territory News via text message.

"Another bloody American trying to educate the world," one person wrote.

Another wrote: "Leave your opinions in the USA. PS: You didn't vote for Bush by chance?"

"Most Territory girls would say 'Put it where the sun doesn't shine'," another local was quoted as saying.

Source (http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/6648987/us-captain-opens-fire-darwin-women)

While he might be right in perceiving how some of these women behave, it doesn't always come down to what they wear. Moreover, he is a visitor to this country and it's none of his bloody business in regards to how things are done here.

Go home, you wanker! :mad:

The Lawspeaker
01-06-2010, 03:22 AM
I guess that this little tosser was just turned down by a lovely local lass. Probably this scrawny yank lost her to a local Australian soldier ;)

Loddfafner
01-06-2010, 03:48 AM
All that Darwin had to say about women's dress standards was a discussion of tail feathers as an example of sexual selection.

WHAT? WRONG DARWIN?

Never mind.
(does anyone else remember Rosanne Rosannadanna on SNL?)

Loki
01-06-2010, 04:27 AM
http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/yankee-go-home-mars.jpg

Eldritch
01-06-2010, 12:26 PM
He deserves a severe talking down to from his superior for the insinuation he's making here:

"Come on ladies, don't send us mixed messages. That's what you do every time you dress with less than nothing on."

The Lawspeaker
01-06-2010, 01:30 PM
I think that the citizens of Darwin will not take kindly to this kind of insinuations so perhaps he has already secured the "Darwin Award".

Cato
01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
USMC: morally educating civilian pukes since 1775 (and forgetting why they're called jarheads).

http://christopheruldack.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/hartman01.jpg

Gunny'll be back for more finger-pointing after he scolds Privates Joker and Pyle.

Cato
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I could really have fun with this if I wanted to.

I wonder if Captain America's letter was entitled DARWIN WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION?

Cato
01-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I deplore how many young women dress, but not in Darwin, Australia. Where? In my own hometown, Syracuse, NY, where many young women dress like what the blacks call a hoochie.

Imagine if the positions were reversed and an Aussie military officer wrote a similarly-themed letter to some newspaper in a major U.S. city, critical of the many skeezers, skanks and hobags in the land of the free. People would be up in arms at the fellow's opinions: "My little girl isn't a whore!" (*Tee-hee*)

While I agree with the basic idea of Captain America's gripes, he should plunk his uniformed ass down in the U.S. first and wag a finger at the females there first.

Hrolf Kraki
01-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Go home, you wanker! :mad:

Don't send him back here! Maybe he'd find himself better suited living in an Islamic state where they regulate what a woman must wear.

Cato
01-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Don't send him back here! Maybe he'd find himself better suited living in an Islamic state where they regulate what a woman must wear.

He's an officer in the USMC so don't forget that, by their very nature, officers are regimentalized control freaks.

Hrolf Kraki
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
He's an officer in the USMC so don't forget that, by their very nature, officers are regimentalized control freaks.

I don't know what it is about the US military, but more often than not when I meet someone who is or has been in the military, he's a complete douchebag. Do they do something to people in there??? I don't get it. :confused:

Maybe it's just Kansas... I would like to go back and see which ones were officers. I wonder if there's some sort of pattern there.

Cato
01-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't know what it is about the US military, but more often than not when I meet someone who is or has been in the military, he's a complete douchebag. Do they do something to people in there??? I don't get it. :confused:

Maybe it's just Kansas... I would like to go back and see which ones were officers. I wonder if there's some sort of pattern there.

A feeling of superiority and machismo I'd guess. I've met some very humble servicepersons, but I've also met some real asshats like you describe. They're filled up with all kinds of patriotic ideas from basic training on, God and Jesus in some cases to boot, and this can fill their heads with the mindset that they know best because they get to go OOH-RAH and shoot guns. ;)

However, I have a high respect for armed forces personnel regardless in any service branch. I just think that this case is a case of the pot calling the kettle black; the U.S. has its own problems with scantily-clad, immoral women that Captain Crunch should be more concerned about.

Liffrea
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Whilst he has gone about it the wrong way, he does have a valid point I feel. The most feminine, and sexy, I might add, women in my opinion are those who understand that dressing tastefully actually enhances their attractiveness, and he’s correct it is about standards, and not just in dress but in other things as well.

Eldritch
01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
I guess that this little tosser was just turned down by a lovely local lass. Probably this scrawny yank lost her to a local Australian soldier ;)

A parallel case would the Brits or Americans who start rant blogs about how Finns are blond Mongols who should be all exterminated or deported back to Outer Siberia.

When you scratch the surface a bit, you'll always find that our intrepid globetrotting hero has had his sorry bum ass kicked to the curb by a Finnish lady, and/or had a business venture here that failed because of a refusal to learn to local customs and language. ;)

Antonine
01-06-2010, 07:04 PM
What's wrong with dressing decently? Standards have been declining throughout the west since the 1960's. It is not as if he is wrong, just that he went about it the wrong way. Western men and women often act irresponsibly throughout their lives since the cultural revolutions disposed of morals and expectations for honorable behavior.

Ladies and gentlemen, hit the books and learn. I recommend a book written by a European named Walter Laqueur called "The Last Days of Europe: Epitah for an Old Continent" which is about the demographic change and how Europeans need to start doing what is necessary if they want to keep their homeland. The captions in the inside cover say the following:

"Half of all female scientists in Germany are childless." "In Brussels in 2004, more than 55 percent of children were born of immigrant parents." The book also tackles issues like the European welfare state and why it is unsustainable in the face of an aging population and that immigrants often use these services without contributing in return, often because the more radical among them are intent on replacing people.

While the book is about Europe, it is relevant throughout the West as similar demographic changes occur. Of course, you can decry my advice and stance, but in the end, much of this is racially tinged, especially among modern extremist Muslims.

What is decent? Is it decent for women to sleep around, to get pregnant by different men, to constantly get abortions, to get diseases, to be drunk and stupid? These are not only afflictions of Hispanic and Black communities, but are also finding a place among the working- and sometimes middle-classes in White societies.

While America should not be projecting its forces throughout the world, "Yankee Go Home" does not mean a thing when your society is crumbling within.

Hrolf Kraki
01-07-2010, 04:43 AM
A feeling of superiority and machismo I'd guess. I've met some very humble servicepersons, but I've also met some real asshats like you describe. They're filled up with all kinds of patriotic ideas from basic training on, God and Jesus in some cases to boot, and this can fill their heads with the mindset that they know best because they get to go OOH-RAH and shoot guns. ;)

However, I have a high respect for armed forces personnel regardless in any service branch. I just think that this case is a case of the pot calling the kettle black; the U.S. has its own problems with scantily-clad, immoral women that Captain Crunch should be more concerned about.

Now that I think about it, I know a few military guys and they're pretty awesome. The ones that always seem to stick in my mind though are a lot of the dipshits that I knew in high school who joined the military. But then again, they were dipshits before they signed up. :p