PDA

View Full Version : Does the existence of the EU encourage regional independence?

zhaoyun
04-01-2014, 03:38 PM
With the flurry of independence movements happening in Europe with Catalonia, Venice, Scotland yearning for independence, it has got me thinking. If these new states are guaranteed inclusion into the EU with open borders, a common currency, and an open market, are these realities making the old nation states of Europe increasingly irrelevant? Is there a need for Catalonia to even stay within Spain if it can reap all the same advantages without Spain?

Do you think the existence of the EU increases the viability of regional independence movements and do you think many more regions will seek independence?

portusaus
04-01-2014, 03:46 PM
It does, but part of the motivation for some is to leave the EU due to it's severely harmful policies. Particularly, the 'open border' you mentioned.

Graham
04-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Scots Independence movement has been built on a home rule movement pre-ww1. To the Covenant managing to get over 2 million signatures to a petition demanding Home Rule for Scotland in the late 1940s and early 1950s.. Then to 1997 Scottish Parliament vote.

Slowly pushed forward to what now. The EU thing will have made it easier to convince non-nationalists, who dislike borders.

The indy movement was mainly due to end of the British Empire. You know another big Global Union.. We seen Canada go, Australia go, Ireland go & New Zealand go.

zhaoyun
04-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Scots Independence movement has been built on a home rule movement pre-ww1. To the Covenant managing to get over 2 million signatures to a petition demanding Home Rule for Scotland in the late 1940s and early 1950s.. Then to 1997 Scottish Parliament vote.

Slowly pushed forward to what now. The EU thing will have made it easier to convince non-nationalists, who dislike borders.

The indy movement was mainly due to end of the British Empire. You know another big Global Union.. We seen Canada go, Australia go, Ireland go & New Zealand go.

No doubt, these independence movements all have historical roots which are pre-existing. However, my main question is whether the existence of the EU has served as an impetus to further empower these movements because they seem to be mounting in popular support. I think it has.