PDA

View Full Version : MP Iris Robinson, 60, had affair with 19-year-old toyboy.

Fortis in Arduis
01-08-2010, 07:43 AM
The astonishing details of Iris Robinson's affair with a 19-year-old - whom she had known since he was nine - have been laid bare today.

Her lover, Kirk McCambley, now 21, owns a cafe in south Belfast and the visitors' centre which houses the cafe was built by the council on which Mrs Robinson sits.

The wife of the First Minister helped Mr McCambley get started in business after first identifying a freshly developed council site on the banks of the river Lagan in south Belfast for his new venture and persuaded two local developers to stump up £50,000 in 2008 for catering equipment to kit out the cafe, Mr McCambley told the BBC.

Astonishingly Mrs Robinson demanded a £5,000 kickback paid directly to her after her lover received the funding.

But when the relationship soured, Mrs Robinson demanded the funds back - initially in two cheques, one directly to her and another to her local church.

Mr Fraser Black, the whistleblower for the affair in extensive interviews with the BBC - and Mrs Robinson's political adviser - said that Peter Robinson was giving Mrs Robinson cues as she attempted to row back from the scandal.

The two donors who provided the money to Mrs Robinson to help Mr McCambley were named as developers Fred Fraser, now deceased, and Ken Campbell.

A trail of text messages sent from Mrs Robinson's phone to Mr Black revealed how the money was to be paid back. The funds were to be funnelled through her church, for which her sister is pastor.

Iris Robinson regarded the money as a gift to her but after their relationship fell apart she was keen to reclaim it from him.

According to the BBC, Iris Robinson has not once declared the money. The programme revealed that she lobbied on behalf of Ken Campbell while she was looking for the £25,000.

On the BBC programme, Mr McCambley spoke candidly about his relationship with Mrs Robinson. He said: 'I worked in the butchers since I was nine and I always seen her coming in and out. I knew her from a very early age through the butchers and through my dad.

'She looked out for me and made sure I was OK and obviously anyone who has lost a parent knows it is an incredibly hard time and she was there to help.'

Mr Black broke cover to talk to the BBC and said the relationship developed beyond a friendship and that the couple would take walks together. He said that Mrs Robinson was keen to 'support this guy'.

In her statement this week, Mrs Robinson has said that she encouraged friends to invest in the youngster's business.

Before his wife's lover's age was made public, Mr Robinson said: 'I love my wife. I have always been faithful to her. In a spirit of humility and repentance, Iris sought my forgiveness. She took responsibility upon herself alone for her actions and I have forgiven her.'

Her name will bring to mind comparisons with another famous - albeit fictional - Mrs Robinson who had an affair with a man half her age.
In the 1967 film, The Graduate, Anne Bancroft, in her late 30s, seduces Benjamin Braddock, a recent university graduate played by Dustin Hoffman.
Iris Robinson was not to be seen at her luxury home yesterday.

As political commentators on both sides of the Border and in Britain pored over the full significance of the First Minister's statement it emerged that more potentially troubling revelations about the Robinsons could soon emerge.

Many politicians from all parties in Northern Ireland were reluctant to comment yesterday other than to say that they wished the couple well in trying to solve their marital difficulties.

One political source said last night: 'There are questions being asked about why the First Minister chose this particular moment to comment about such a personal matter, given that the affair was more than 18 months ago.'

Yesterday former MP Edwina Currie, who famously had a four-year affair with John Major was scathing about the cheating Northern Ireland MP.

She branded Mrs Robinson 'a stinking hypocrite' for hiding her own shameful secret while referring to homosexuals as 'an abomination' and criticising other people's lifestyle choices while boasting about her deeply held Christian views.

Mrs Currie said: 'If you go on and on about God's commandments and keep flinging the tablets of stone at other people, sooner of later someone is going to pick up a bit and chuck it at you.

'Mrs Robinson has made stupid and ignorant remarks about homosexuals while she was busy betraying her husband and seeking love somewhere else.

'If the Robinsons learn to be more tolerant of other people's failings because of this - having found so many in themselves - that has got to be a good thing.' Pastor James McConnell from the Whitewell Tabernacle Church where the couple worship, said the revelations had done nothing to dampen his admiration of the couple.

He said: 'I am surrounding them with prayers and I am there for them 100 per cent. I think Iris can begin again in another way, not in politics, where she can help a lot of people.'

Peter Robinson and his wife Iris are, like many Ulster Protestant loyalists of their generation, God-fearing folk. Theirs has been a life of adherence to family values and a belief that what God ordains also should work its way into their political thinking.

When they married in 1970, they did so against the background of the Troubles, which began a year earlier. She was a secretary, he a college graduate who had started work as an estate agent. Three children soon followed, and there were many sacrifices along the way.

That's why, when he made his emotional address on television on Wednesday, there was a genuine sense that Peter Robinson not only was devastated by his wife's affair but also utterly betrayed in his formidable self-belief that life is about certainty and not frailty.

When he spoke of their 40 years together, he did so pensively, as if relaying them to himself as he spoke. He spoke of Iris's generosity in allowing him the freedom to engage in controversial, often extremist, politics, and the threats to their safety such a stance would attract.

He spoke of her bringing up their children, 'often alone', as he pursued his political ambitions.

Somewhere along the way, though, the Robinsons lost focus on the ideals that forged their very public lives. He, after all, became a founder member of the Democratic Unionist Party after the IRA killed one of his schoolfriends, an understandable catalyst to activism.

But last year came proof that even idealism can be waylaid by materialism. The Mail revealed that the Robinsons' annual income, a combination of salaries and expenses, was almost £572,000.They earned a combined total of £246,017 from six jobs. Both are Westminster MPs as well as MLAs. He also is paid £71,434 as First Minister while she pockets another £9,550 as a borough councillor for Castlereagh.

In a further embarrassment, it was revealed that Mr Robinson employed his daughter, Rebekah, as his office manager and private secretary, while his son, Gareth, is his parliamentary assistant. Iris employs their elder son, Jonathan, as her office manager, and her daughter-in-law, Ellen, as a parttime secretary.

Their incomes have led to many trappings of luxury. They own homes in Belfast, east London and Florida worth more than £1.3m.

Mrs Robinson used to drive an MG sports car in London and had three Minis, and now drives an Audi convertible.

He is less showy - he supports Chelsea, enjoys golf and bowling and breeds exotic Koi carp, some specimens of which can sell for many thousands of euro. Over four years, they also managed to claim £30,000 for food alone.

There were other controversies. When Iris was asked to comment on an attack on a gay man in her constituency, she used the opportunity to in turn attack homosexuality itself, calling it 'an abomination' that made her 'sick and nauseous'.

Another leader in Mr Robinson's position might have felt compelled to
publicly chastise a party member making such incendiary statements but instead he said it was not Iris who considered homosexuality an abomination, but the Almighty himself.

In their 40 years together, Mr Robinson overturned a large UUP majority to become an MP in 1979, and has been re- elected seven times, most recently in 2005, making him the longest-serving MP for a Belfast constituency since the 1801 Act of Union. Elected to the NI Assembly in 1998, he has served as minister for regional development and minister for finance.

When Ian Paisley announced his intention to step down, Mr Robinson won the leadership unopposed last April and became First Ministerthe cheating Northern Ireland MP.

She branded Mrs Robinson 'a stinking hypocrite' for hiding her own shameful secret while referring to homosexuals as 'an abomination' and criticising other people's lifestyle choices while boasting about her deeply held Christian views.

Iris was there for him, as she was in 1986 when, notoriously, he led an incursion of 500 loyalists into the Republic in protest at the Anglo-Irish Agreement. He was fined 17,500 Irish Pounds for unlawful assembly.

Politically, Mrs Robinson, nee Collins, is generally seen as less solid than her husband and more likely to say what she is thinking rather than maintaining a diplomatic gravitas; she was censured in 2007 for using 'unparliamentary' language to describe another Assembly minister.

But it still came as a surprise on December 28 when she announced she planned to retire from politics because of depression. Then came this week's bombshell about her affair and suicide attempt.

Mr Robinson's candid TV appearance may have bought him some time to counter any further allegations (there is talk of financial impropriety on Mrs Robinson's part) - and also some sympathy, even from quarters where none existed previously.

He issued a simple plea: 'I only ask if people feel they must judge her, that they find within themselves, as I have done, the gift of doing so with mercy and compassion.'

'If the Robinsons learn to be more tolerant of other people's failings because of this - having found so many in themselves - that has got to be a good thing.' Pastor James McConnell from the Whitewell Tabernacle Church where the couple worship, said the revelations had done nothing to dampen his admiration of the couple.

He said: 'I am surrounding them with prayers and I am there for them 100 per cent. I think Iris can begin again in another way, not in politics, where she can help a lot of people.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241545/Revealed-Mrs-Robinsons-toyboy-THIRD-age.html#ixzz0c0Z471NI

9jPapkge6jI

Loki
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't see the shock value in the age difference. It happens. Not very often, but things like these have always happened. The point of interest in this article is the financial dealings behind the affair, I guess.

Fortis in Arduis
01-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't see the shock value in the age difference. It happens. Not very often, but things like these have always happened. The point of interest in this article is the financial dealings behind the affair, I guess.

There have been a number of very sympathetic articles and blogs.

I chose to post the Daily Fail's daily 'outrage' and but I had to edit-out the nasty quote by Edwina Currie.

Tony
01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't see the shock value in the age difference. It happens. Not very often, but things like these have always happened.
The fact of happening doesn't legitimize her behaviour , it's a perversity , what may have in common a 60 woman and a 19 year old boy??
apart the pure sex lust?
the could be son and mom if not grandson and gradma...

moreover she ruined her hsuband's (what a loser jeez...) political carrer and I read she cheated him with other 2 men :rolleyes2:
not to mention the money fraud...
there's an appropriate word for such a woman , bitch , no more nor less than simply that.

Fortis in Arduis
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
The fact of happening doesn't legitimize her behaviour , it's a perversity , what may have in common a 60 woman and a 19 year old boy??
apart the pure sex lust?
the could be son and mom if not grandson and gradma...

moreover she ruined her hsuband's (what a loser jeez...) political carrer and I read she cheated him with other 2 men :rolleyes2:
not to mention the money fraud...
there's an appropriate word for such a woman , bitch , no more nor less than simply that.

Well saying nasty things about Iris Robinson is not going make me a better person.

Firstly, she is good looking, and quite well preserved:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01405/Iris-Robinson_1405435a.jpg

Secondly, to err is human and she has made it known how sorry she is.

I think that such a person needs well-wishers.

Tony
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Secondly, to err is human and she has made it known how sorry she is.

Who cares?moreover how we could check the truth of her "sorryness"?
she has to pay for what she done , cheating , ruining a political carrer and the money thing.

Fortis in Arduis
01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Who cares?moreover how we could check the truth of her "sorryness"?
she has to pay for what she done , cheating , ruining a political carrer and the money thing.

Well, she is going to have to do that then. I would imagine that she is feeling pretty sorry right now.

She is having psychiatric treatment and everyone is talking about her. :wink

Tony
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Well, she is going to have to do that then. I would imagine that she is feeling pretty sorry right now.

She is having psychiatric treatment and everyone is talking about her. :wink
Didn't know , I give you that , by the way how about her husband?seems to me he's been the biggest looser in this case.
I still think she deserve a few years* behind the bars , of course not for the cheating since it's not considered a crime , but for the financial dealing.

*I'm exagerating here , you bet she won't get any year nor any month

Fortis in Arduis
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Didn't know , I give you that , by the way how about her husband?seems to me he's been the biggest looser in this case.
I still think she deserve a few years* behind the bars , of course not for the cheating since it's not considered a crime , but for the financial dealing.

*I'm exagerating here , you bet she won't get any year nor any month

Power corrupts.

In her community, the financial dealing will not be viewed quite so dimly as you do.

He was a family friend, and she obviously made the mistake of mixing that, business and pleasure.

It depends upon whether or not the husband knew about it, to declare it as an interest.

Under the circumstances, he probably did not, and so his political career might be safe. He is complying with the investigations, and wants everything to be out in the open.

So, she wanted £5000 in return for arranging a loan of £50000. Is that unreasonable in this current climate?

Sol Invictus
01-12-2010, 06:36 PM
A 19 year old is very young but still an adult. I don't see anything wrong with it. He's more than old enough to decide what he wants whereas a 16 year old is a lot less mature and is barely old enough to drive! :p

Fortis in Arduis
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
A 19 year old is very young but still an adult. I don't see anything wrong with it. He's more than old enough to decide what he wants whereas a 16 year old is a lot less mature and is barely old enough to drive! :p

Right, and years before she allegedly had an affair with his father who died tragically.

One can see how these things happen. I think that what happened was probably a perfectly natural thing between two people.

Iris is famous for this:

Comments about homosexuality

In June 2008, shortly after a homophobic attack (involving physical assault) on a gay man in Northern Ireland, she made comments on the BBC Radio Ulster's Stephen Nolan Show offering to recommend homosexuals to psychiatric counselling.[22] While condemning the attack,[23] she claimed that homosexuality was an "abomination" and it made her feel "sick" and "nauseous", and offered to refer homosexuals to a psychiatrist she knew. In a subsequent interview, Robinson defended her views and denied prejudice against LGBT people, saying that "just as a murderer can be redeemed by the blood of Christ, so can a homosexual.... If anyone takes issue, they're taking issue with the word of God".[24] Her comments were rebuffed by representatives of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the Rainbow Project, the Alliance Party, [25] Sinn Féin,[26] and the Social Democratic and Labour Party.[27][28] The psychiatrist in question, Dr. Paul Miller, later resigned as her "adviser", and temporarily stood down from his post of consultant psychiatrist at Belfast's Mater hospital.[29] A police investigation followed these comments, over 100 complaints were made,[30][31][32] and gay rights activist Robert Toner also made a complaint to the Equality Commission.[30][33][34][35]
Robinson subsequently repeated her views in parliamentary session. Speaking in a 17 June 2008 Northern Ireland Grand Committee session on Risk Assessment and Management of Sex Offenders, she said: "There can be no viler act, apart from homosexuality and sodomy, than sexually abusing innocent children"[36] She reiterated her statement to the Belfast Telegraph on 21 June 2008,[37] but later claimed that she had been "misrepresented" in Hansard.[38] Her claims of misrepresentation were challenged when Alliance Party Executive Director Gerry Lynch confirmed with Hansard staff that Robinson's comments were in fact correctly quoted.[39] Further controversy was caused on 17 July 2008 when on the Stephen Nolan Show Robinson stated "it is the government's responsibility to uphold God's law".[40] In the Northern Ireland Assembly on 30 June 2008, in a discussion about "LGBT Groups: Mental-Health Needs", Robinson said that "Homosexuality, like all sin, is an abomination," and suggested that teenagers needed help deciding whether they were homosexual or heterosexual.[41][42]
By late July 2008, the Belfast Telegraph reported that "[A]lmost 11,000 people have signed a petition calling on British Prime Minister Gordon Brown to reprimand DUP MP Iris Robinson over her controversial remarks about homosexuality" and "[Fewer than] 30 people have signed an opposing petition calling on the Prime Minister to allow the comments to go un-reprimanded as a matter of personal opinion and religion".[43] As a result of her comments, Robinson was nominated for "Bigot of the Year" for 2008 by Stonewall.[44][45]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_Robinson#Controversies

Now, those groups, and the media, who accused her of bigotry, are attacking her on a moral platform.

Yet, her 'crime' was really to see the world as a practising Christian, and to have human failings.

Cail
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Yet, her 'crime' was really to see the world as a practising Christian, and to have human failings.

Lol, are you defending her? Surely 61 y/o gramps + 19 y/o guy is way sicker than two men.

Allenson
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I agree with Fortis & John--she's pretty hot for 60.

It's like a cross between The Graduate and Harold & Maud.

Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson! :thumb001:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/08/article-1241545-07C74224000005DC-832_306x786.jpg

Fortis in Arduis
01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Lol, are you defending her? Surely 61 y/o gramps + 19 y/o guy is way sicker than two men.

No, I am merely exposing the liberalist motivations and hypocrisy of her detractors.

antonio
01-12-2010, 08:45 PM

If you're homosexual I respect your option.
If you aren't I laugh at your "sick" comparison.

:thumb001:

Cail
01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
If you're homosexual I respect your option.
If you aren't I laugh at your "sick" comparison.

:thumb001:

I'm not homosexual myself, but i don't see anything bad in it in general.

antonio
01-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not homosexual myself, but i don't see anything bad in it in general.

Well, I respect all sexual tendencies too, but I civilacitely prefer a son of mine being captured with a 61-yo attractive woman that with a 21-yo attractive man :D And I'd said this used to be the common people stand on such dilemma....at least before leftist rubbish take absolute control of Children Education just few years after I got graduated.

:thumbs up