PDA

View Full Version : Christian teacher fired for offering to pray for sick pupil

Sol Invictus
01-09-2010, 04:31 PM
By JONATHAN PETRE
Last updated at 1:04 AM on 21st December 2009
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1237204/Christian-teacher-lost-job-told-praying-sick-girl-bullying.html#ixzz0eyEGdlFc

A Christian teacher fears she may never work again after she was sacked for offering to pray for a sick pupil.

Olive Jones, 54, said she had been made to feel like a criminal, and claimed that Christians were being persecuted due to 'political correctness'.

Mrs Jones, who taught children not well enough to attend school, said that after she raised the topic of prayer during a visit to a 12-year-old's house, the girl's mother lodged a complaint.

Just hours later, said Mrs Jones, her boss told her she would no longer be working for Oak Hill Short Stay School and Tuition Service, in Nailsea, Somerset.

She said managers had ruled her comments could be perceived as 'bullying'.
Mrs Jones had told the girl and her mother that there were people praying for them. She said: 'I asked the child if I could pray for her. She looked at her mother, who said, "We come from a family who do not believe", so I did not pray.'

Mrs Jones, who has two sons -one a Royal Marine, the other a student - said of her dismissal: 'I've been left devastated. I don't know if I will be able to go back to teaching in the same role. It would be very difficult.

A spokesman for North Somerset Council, said: 'A complaint has been made by a parent. This complaint is being investigated.'

Mrs Jones' dismissal has outraged Christian groups, who say new equality regulations are driving Christianity to the margins of society.

They said the case echoed that of community nurse Caroline Petrie, who was suspended last December after offering to pray for a patient but who was later reinstated after a national outcry.

Coincidentally, Mrs Petrie lives nearby and has been a friend of Mrs Jones for some years.

Speaking at her home in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, Mrs Jones said: ‘Teaching was my dream from the age of 16. It is as if 20 years of my work, which I was passionate about, has gone. It is like a grief.
‘I have been sleeping badly and been in a daze. I haven’t even got around to putting up a Christmas tree or decorations. So much for Christmas cheer.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1237204/Christian-teacher-lost-job-told-praying-sick-girl-bullying.html#ixzz0eyEQsqQU

Duży Zaganiacz
05-29-2013, 06:10 PM
What's the point in asking someone if you could pray for them?

dapork
05-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Lol wow. The problem here is not the laws or social climate, as the Christian group believes, but good old human stupidity.

Ok so the mother has a right to be offended. Atheists don't want their kids to be exposed to religion. I can even understand her lodging a complaint, because she has a right to try and change things for the better. But the school firing the teacher seems pretty severe. They could've just reprimanded here and she would've learned her lesson.

Oneeye
05-30-2013, 11:10 PM
I haven't been a Christian for quite a few years now, and can't understand why someone would be offended if someone simply offered to pray for his or her self/kid/loved one. Would be easier to be critical of that teacher if some "bullying" comments that she made were given in the article. Did she persist after having her offer turned down?