PDA

View Full Version : Apricity Europeans In England

Freomęg
01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Just curious about the number of Apricity posters who originate from somewhere on the mainland of Europe who are currently residing in England. Seems to be far greater, proportionally, than the number of Englishmen or Brits residing on the mainland.

Why is this? If you're one of them, what drew you to England and do you intend on settling here?

No agenda or ill-feeling whatsoever, just to clarify. I'm merely curious as it seems quite common. ;)

Osweo
01-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Aye, and when are we having drinks?! :cheers::cheers2:

Jarl
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
No agenda or ill-feeling whatsoever, just to clarify. I'm merely curious as it seems quite common. ;)

Sure...

I came for the purpose of education and Im not planning to settle down permanently. Im not planning to take your women either, so chill out :P

Jäger
01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I came for the purpose of education ...
Still stealing! :eek:

Jarl
01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Still stealing! :eek:

Haha! Not at all. We, bourgeoise, have practised education abroad since Medieval Ages... I know it might be something of a surprise to a plebain mind, but trust me, Germans do it here a lot. Uncomparably more often than Poles ;)

Svarog
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Don't write too good explanation why're you there, some of us might want the piece of cake too :P

Beorn
01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I came for the purpose of education and Im not planning to settle down permanently. Im not planning to take your women either, so chill out :P

Good. :)

Jarl
01-11-2010, 02:56 PM
...but I can always change my mind, and live in both countries :P

Jarl
01-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Especially if you or Cyth can pimp me a fine local specimen :D

Cail
01-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Same. I haven't yet made up my mind as to where i'm going to settle. I've just finished my education here in UK, i'll think i'm going to travel a little now. But the odds are i'm going to finally settle in Italy, out of sentimental reasons (my favorite culture in Europe). I speak Italian (not too fluently, but i'll pick it up fast).

Surely a couple of Poles would be such a threat to English identity and culture (nevermind millions of Pakis, Negroes et cetera, they're harmless compared to those savages from eastern Europe).

Beorn
01-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Surely a couple of Poles would be such a threat to English identity and culture (nevermind millions of Pakis, Negroes et cetera, they're harmless compared to those savages from eastern Europe).

It doesn't matter if you are brown, white, pink, yellow, Asian, European, etc...You are not English.

And it isn't just "a couple", it is thousands and thousands of you. Each one with far from the noble intention to study and leave. Does England need yet another shop in the high street selling Polish produce, employing only Polish people and rising the levels of crime towards the roof.

What exactly do you and your fellow Eastern Europeans give to my England?
What exactly does anyone of you foreigners give to England that couldn't be found in amongst its own people?

Laudanum
01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
It doesn't matter if you are brown, white, pink, yellow, Asian, European, etc...You are not English.

And it isn't just "a couple", it is thousands and thousands of you. Each one with far from the noble intention to study and leave. Does England need yet another shop in the high street selling Polish produce, employing only Polish people and rising the levels of crime towards the roof.

What exactly do you and your fellow Eastern Europeans give to my England?
What exactly does anyone of you foreigners give to England that couldn't be found in amongst its own people?

You should be happy that your country can share some wisdom with your fellow Europeans.;)

Beorn
01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
You should be happy that your country can share some wisdom with your fellow Europeans.;)

I don't understand the phrasing of your post. Care to explain it further? :)

Treffie
01-11-2010, 03:30 PM

So how do you feel about the Scots, Irish and Welsh who attended English Universities such as myself?

Laudanum
01-11-2010, 03:31 PM

I can't understand what is wrong with Poles like Jarl coming to England just for education.

Beorn
01-11-2010, 03:42 PM
So how do you feel about the Scots, Irish and Welsh who attended English Universities such as myself?

Not much. We are part of the Union afterall. After the Union collapses, I would like to see stricter entry for members from outside England, but that is one for the future...hopefully.

I can't understand what is wrong with Poles like Jarl coming to England just for education.

There isn't. There is nothing wrong with the temporary visitor to these shores.

Treffie
01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Not much. We are part of the Union afterall. After the Union collapses, I would like to see stricter entry for members from outside England, but that is one for the future...hopefully.

And vice versa eh?

Freomęg
01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Im not planning to take your women either, so chill out :P
hey I'm chill, I'm chill... :thumb001:... but don't even thinking about poisoning this pure race :mad: :wink

Come on lads - no need for hostility. Absolutely nothing wrong with Europeans coming here for education and to experience the place for a while. I'm glad įcwellan agrees on that.

To be honest I'm just flabbergasted so many people still want to come here, temporary or otherwise, for any reason other than holiday. England consistently drops position in studies finding the best places in the world to live. We're even behind Poland I think, and I struggle to believe that the education is that great here unless you're paying BIG money.

Treffie
01-11-2010, 04:17 PM
hey I'm chill, I'm chill... :thumb001:... but don't even thinking about poisoning this pure race :mad: :wink

Come on lads - no need for hostility. Absolutely nothing wrong with Europeans coming here for education and to experience the place for a while. I'm glad įcwellan agrees on that.

To be honest I'm just flabbergasted so many people still want to come here, temporary or otherwise, for any reason other than holiday. England consistently drops position in studies finding the best places in the world to live. We're even behind Poland I think, and I struggle to believe that the education is that great here unless you're paying BIG money.

But the UK is still the best place in Europe to study, if not the world. I'm not just talking about Oxbridge, but other establishments such as London, Edinburgh, Bristol etc

Freomęg
01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
But the UK is still the best place in Europe to study, if not the world. I'm not just talking about Oxbridge, but other establishments such as London, Edinburgh, Bristol etc
Really? I wasn't aware. I know Scotland's good, and England's alright, but I didn't think we surpassed the likes of Germany, Holland, Sweden.

Treffie
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Really? I wasn't aware. I know Scotland's good, and England's alright, but I didn't think we surpassed the likes of Germany, Holland, Sweden.

The UK has 18 of the top 100 unis in the world

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2009/results

Jarl
01-11-2010, 04:54 PM

The phrase is simple. He clearly meant, that not every Pole in England is running his own shop, taking English jobs, money and women, or planning to stay there forever. Obviously this might be unthinkable if one got used to the image of cheap Polish labour force. Consequently, I don't even mind your openly hostile, one sided attitude.

The UK has 18 of the top 100 unis in the world

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2009/results

UK's got not only the people, but also the funding for proper science and research.

Jarl
01-11-2010, 04:57 PM

:P It has never crossed my mind yet... but acwellan is close to persuade me to do otherwise.

:) I think it is brilliant.

Jäger
01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Consequently, I don't even mind your openly hostile, one sided attitude.
As if you, as a Pole, are of any meaning to this question anyways.
It is the business of only the English to decide whom they welcome to their lands and under which conditions.

:P It has never crossed my mind yet... but acwellan is close to persuade me to do otherwise.
And now even blackmail :D
Yes, Polacks are an enrichment wherever they go :D

Svarog
01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I am not a fan of mass immigration myself, and, Serbia should be for Serbs, England for English etc, but I always find it hilarious how the loudest anti-immigrant protestants with 'they steal our jobs!!' etc speeches are jobless good for nothing parasites who writes on forum for the entire day and do nothing else, i met shit load of such people.

I never had my job stolen by some immigrant and yet i see plenty of them around.

Beorn
01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
And vice versa eh?

Of course. I'd start by telling those French monkey's that this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Bridge) belongs to England and Wales, and then charge the Welsh* £30 a pop to cross.

I wonder how many Cardiff and Swansea fans would come across to urinate on English soil then? I'd be surprised the dole would cover the costs. :swl

* Although Katherine Jenkins and Eve Myles would be exempt from the charge.

Svanhild
01-11-2010, 07:06 PM
It is the business of only the English to decide whom they welcome to their lands and under which conditions.
Let's be happy that they attract most of the roving Poles on the European educational- and job market. More for them are less for us.

Troll's Puzzle
01-11-2010, 07:20 PM

attn. mr hardcore english nationalist:

neither is your partner, nor, therefore, by extension, your children.

practice, preach, etc :)

Beorn
01-11-2010, 07:22 PM
It is was before I became "mr hardcore english nationalist" and it is partly why I became "mr hardcore english nationalist".

As for my children, I don't need to rake over old discussions. You know what I consider them to be and by what process they, and others, are judged. :)

Skandi
01-11-2010, 08:31 PM

I have never heard a good thing about the German university system, EVER and that included German academics (Working here) warning us off of it!

As for Scotland there are no tuition fees if you are Scottish or EU (England excluded of course)
Remember there is another reason why people study here, Language, to improve/learn their English.

Jarl
01-11-2010, 09:05 PM

And now even blackmail :D
Yes, Polacks are an enrichment wherever they go :D

Yaaaawn... whatever...

P.S.

The English have decided. That is why I used the opportunity to get into their unis. And no. Once England joined the EU, it is not just the business of the English. Unfortunately.

Beorn
01-11-2010, 09:29 PM
The English have decided. That is why I used the opportunity to get into their unis. And no. Once England joined the EU, it is not just the business of the English. Unfortunately.

Technically the English have never had the opportunity to decide upon anything. It has all been decided for us by British politicians.

Klärchen
01-11-2010, 09:33 PM

So you are not from China? :p

http://goddesschess.blogspot.com/2009/06/chinas-lack-of-marriageable-women-leads.html

Jarl
01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Technically the English have never had the opportunity to decide upon anything. It has all been decided for us by British politicians.

Technically my nation also did not have the luxury of a choice. Neither in 1990-1993, when most of the industry was sold to the West for peanuts by the corrupt commies, nor in 2004 when we joined the EU and our so called government agreed to all the terms, no quotas, no nothing. And, as a consequence, 2-3 or hell knows how many million people left the country within few years.

Only because the West wanted cheap labour force.

So it happens that my family does have some traditions, which I am not willing to trade off so easily and become anglicised. Poles are patriotic in general, yet simple people without a deeper sense of belonging to the nation can become uprooted. And this is of some concern to me as a patriot as well. I know I am a guest in England and I behave accordingly. I have my manners. And Im doing the best business I can do under current circumstances. If anyone has some problems with it, let me remind that EU is double-edged sword and mass emigration can be harmful just like excessive immigration. Poland is paying her price too, which I am not entirely happy with either.

Treffie
01-11-2010, 10:25 PM

English politicians = 85% of British politics.

Beorn
01-11-2010, 10:34 PM
English politicians = 85% of British politics.

The point was the English people have not made the decision.
That was provided for by the British politicians, whether they be 85% English, or an elite 5% Scottish....or 1% honey monsters, for all we could know. :D

nisse
01-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Good news everyone: I never want to go to England (other than to change planes). :D ...I might want to go to Scotland and/or Ireland though...:D

I consider Britain to be one of the countries directly responsible for the present state of things...Alas, if only the whole world could be as backward as my native land :(

I don't really get going to the UK to get an education. British academia hasn't got all that much to do with Brits anymore anyway. All the really famous labs are full of exotic imports. I think it's in everyone's best interest to do everything possible to decentralize science and knowledge by not giving money and time to British, American and Japanese educational and research institutions.

If I do end up getting an education somewhere where I don't belong and fall in love with someone local (I'll be sorry but) I won't risk heart ache and will likely stay...I am not sure if I would teach my children any part of my heritage though...I'm leaning towards not...BUT thankfully, this is not likely to happen :)

Beorn
01-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Good news everyone: I never want to go to England

HOORAH!

I am not sure if I would teach my children any part of my heritage though

Why on Earth not? My children are taught their native English heritage and culture, but it is still important they learn the mothers ethnic background. It will define them ultimately and give them an edge that could possibly ingratiate them to her own ethnic background.

I appreciate you are of multiple backgrounds, and perhaps that is what holds you back, but I do consider the truth to be a must in these circumstances.

nisse
01-12-2010, 01:09 AM
HOORAH!
I live to please :D

I appreciate you are of multiple backgrounds, and perhaps that is what holds you back, but I do consider the truth to be a must in these circumstances.
That's not what would hold me back, although I am technically mixed, the mix is common enough that it comes with a culture of its own. I would just feel bad about adding a multicultural element to whatever foreign country I might find myself in (if it's not mixed already) - when in Rome do as the Romans do...and raise Roman children :)

Obviously I would tell my children about their heritage (wouldn't want them being confused when they grow up eastern-european-looking :P), but I would not send them to ukrainian sunday school or anything like that.

Osweo
01-12-2010, 02:49 AM
Obviously I would tell my children about their heritage (wouldn't want them being confused when they grow up eastern-european-looking :P), but I would not send them to ukrainian sunday school or anything like that.
I see some folly in this approach. If you were to marry an Anglo-Canadian and restrict your child's Russian/Ukrainian-ness to mere anecdotage, you run the risk of making him or her 'neither/nor', and have foregone the possibility of 'either/or'.

The kid is never going to be a complete 'Old-Stock Canuck' (to borrow a US term), so its very existence is enough to give them at least some identity confusion - if they're the sensitive thoughtful type, or if wider historical circumstances bring such issues strongly to the fore in coming decades. It's thus impossible to avoid some degree of 'damage', but why don't you ALSO grant them a useful gift? Languages are good for their own sake, but they open up employment and cultural opportunities. And should the worst ever come to the worst, it can be a lifeline for the emigre to have at least a minor 'foot in the door' of another country.

Um - thread split? :p

nisse
01-12-2010, 02:59 AM
I see some folly in this approach. If you were to marry an Anglo-Canadian and restrict your child's Russian/Ukrainian-ness to mere anecdotage, you run the risk of making him or her 'neither/nor', and have foregone the possibility of 'either/or'.

...whatever foreign country I might find myself in (if it's not mixed already)

What I said was not meant to apply to a colonial country like Canada, which is already very diverse, and on top of that has a lot of Ukrainian-Canadians who have made a mark on the country's history in their own right.

If I marry an Anglo-Canadian I'll do my best to make sure my kids will be Ukrainian (if, as most Anglo-Canadians, the guy has no idea where he comes form) or half-Ukrainian if he's all one type of "Anglo".

It's thus impossible to avoid some degree of 'damage', but why don't you ALSO grant them a useful gift? Languages are good for their own sake, but they open up employment and cultural opportunities. And should the worst ever come to the worst, it can be a lifeline for the emigre to have at least a minor 'foot in the door' of another country.
The assumption is that there is not a sizable Ukrainian/Russian community nearby, thus the child would only be able to interact with me and my parents in those languages...that's just weird to me :ohwell:...plus, any such interactions will necessarily exclude the father, which would not be fair, IMO.

EDIT: also, I don't think it's possible to be either/or, I think any time you're in a position to make a choice on this matter you're automatically neither/nor.

Osweo
01-12-2010, 03:12 AM
Ah okay, but there's a lot that could still be said on this theme...

The assumption is that there is not a sizable Ukrainian/Russian community nearby, thus the child would only be able to interact with me and my parents in those languages...that's just weird to me :ohwell:...
Russians are everywhere, what are you on about?! :p

And what I wouldn't give to have a private language with my parents and siblings! The trickery and swindling you could do... :cool:

And this is the 21st Century. Interaction can take place across oceans, thanks to technology.

plus, any such interactions will necessarily exclude the father, which would not be fair, IMO.
You think the father could never learn at least the basics? :eek:

Actually, the sort of Russian-English relationship that disturbed me a little whenever I encountered it was the one where the Englishman knew NOTHING of his wife's language or culture. I found it impossible to believe that he could truly love her as an individual without at least a slight inkling of her background that language affords.

nisse
01-12-2010, 03:38 AM
And this is the 21st Century. Interaction can take place across oceans, thanks to technology.
Blasted technology!
It's not much use to small children though (I hope) - which is when interaction is most important.

You think the father could never learn at least the basics? :eek:
Basics like food names and "Thank you" "You're welcome" - sure. But basics enough to carry on a conversation - not really. Russian would be pretty hard to learn, and it would be pretty useless in everyday life.

Actually, the sort of Russian-English relationship that disturbed me a little whenever I encountered it was the one where the Englishman knew NOTHING of his wife's language or culture. I found it impossible to believe that he could truly love her as an individual without at least a slight inkling of her background that language affords.
Key point - you knew the guy's wife was russian. With people like me, you wouldn't guess it...and I likely won't tell you, just to keep things simple :D

But what you say is partially true, which is why I'm not at all keen on getting involved with someone too culturally different :)

Fortis in Arduis
01-12-2010, 04:27 AM

The real cats, minor royals etc., study in America.

Harry and Wills studied in the UK for good form, but 'everyone else' went stateside. ;)

They received a better education.

Anglophile
01-12-2010, 09:51 AM

I am not entirely against Europeans emigrating from their respective nations into England. However the mass influx of Eastern or Southern Europeans in England would be a threat to the fragile culture that Englishmen uphold with great regard. Without the slightest doubt however you can be assured, that I would prefer other Europeans over non-Europeans. But I am absolutely aghast over some Paki looking Southern Europeans.

On a racial perspective, I just love the way England is. Nordics and depigmented Mediterraneans, what else can I ask for?:thumb001:

Cail
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
On a racial perspective, I just love the way England is. Nordics and depigmented Mediterraneans, what else can I ask for?:thumb001:
Better-looking women :D? j/k

Loki
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
I am not entirely against Europeans emigrating from their respective nations into England. However the mass influx of Eastern or Southern Europeans in England would be a threat to the fragile culture that Englishmen uphold with great regard. Without the slightest doubt however you can be assured, that I would prefer other Europeans over non-Europeans. But I am absolutely aghast over some Paki looking Southern Europeans.

You sound like Loyalist.

Stefan
01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
You sound like Loyalist.

I don't think he does. Loyalist wouldn't be fine with any Southern and Eastern Europeans settling in England as they aren't European in his opinion. ;)

Jarl
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't think he does. Loyalist wouldn't be fine with any Southern and Eastern Europeans settling in England as they aren't European in his opinion. ;)

Then you don't know Loyalist. He's is a smooth one and knows how to tune himself in ;)