PDA

View Full Version : When you make a huge mistake...

Loddfafner
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
When you fuck up really bad, what do you do next? There is a poll for this. You can check several answers and, if you like, explain them here.

Grumpy Cat
01-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Where's the poll? I think you made a huge mistake! :cool:

Anyways, I own up to them. I have made my share of huge mistakes... on the job... and in life.

Electronic God-Man
01-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I would admit I fucked up and then try to fix it as best I can (if possible).

At any rate, I would get nice and drunk enough to laugh about what a fucking mistake I just made.

Eldritch
01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
I picked options 1-3, 5 and 11.

Basically, how I act when I've f**cked up really badly depends on who the wronged party is.

Loki
01-12-2010, 09:24 PM
I voted for "get too drunk to care".

Lars
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Depends what it is.
If things get broken in an accident I will try to compensate if it's a friend or other private person. If it happened on the job I'd just admit my mistake and move on.
Fix the situation/damage is of course the first choice.

But I remember one time on the 1st of January I had pissed my pants in my sleep because I was so drunk. In the morning when people realized it and began making fun of me, I immediately had the other bear in mind that another friend, whom were present, had shit his pants three times over the years during college and after because of binge drinking. It wasn't nice but they didn't tease me anymore that day. ;>

I only drink socially. I've never understood how some people drink when they are alone or to 'drown' the sorrows.

Ulex
01-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Lars the Confessor :D

I am not an expert in this field, as I hardly make any mistakes at all. :rolleyes:

No, seriously... If you make a mistake, just admit it to the people involved. It's not a big deal really. Admit your mistakes as well as your successes. It's all about solving problems. Sometimes you do it right, other times you screw it up. No big deal.

Aemma
01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
The first three pretty much sum things up for me: I think the honourable thing is to always admit you've fucked up (assuming you did just that of course) no matter how painful this may be to either or both parties, ask for forgiveness, make amends, hope for the best and then move on. I guess for me, it is always important to save a relationship rather than not.

In case you did do a major fuck up Lodd, I think I've got a doghouse hanging around here somewhere. :D I'll freshen up the place for you before I hand over the key. :D

http://i45.tinypic.com/25yu3nl.jpg

Rachel
01-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I voted for the first top three however for me it's not in that order, i admit i fucked up, i try to fix it or make it better and then i move on. No need to hold on to grudges there not good for the body or anyones personal health.

Lady L
01-12-2010, 10:18 PM
I chose 1,2,3 ...:) 7,8 and 9 ...:D;)

Germanicus
01-12-2010, 10:22 PM
In my job you have to be either stupid or the job is being rushed into being fucked up. If it is a fault that will take you and your team a couple of hours to repair it is classed as a slight fuck up, but finding out it is a fuck up and you have filled the system up with water or anti freeze it is them deemed a major fuck up and will go around the whole company faster than any typing pool gossip.

Svarog
01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Apologize - move on - try not to do it again.

nisse
01-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I admit it, apologize and try to fix it. (1,2,3) I always feel very ashamed though, so I try to make myself scarce and avoid talking to anyone for as long as possible (11)...if there is no way around it I make faces at them...not sure how cute though (6) :(

EDIT: people are too willing to give me the benfit of the doubt on #6, I feel the need to illustrate that these are not :eyes faces:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2750/4270602758_764e9620d5_o.jpg

NordicPower
01-13-2010, 02:43 AM
I have certainly made my share of mistakes in life. Usually I'll hide for a while until the storm passes, and then apologize try to fix it, and move on like nothing happened. If people continue to bring it up, firstly I'll ignore them, if they continue to bring it up, then I will bring attention to their mistakes, and if they still bring it up after that, finally I will insult them.

I don't like to live in regret so I try and fix or address and learn from mistakes immediately, and then I like to forget about it.

SuuT
01-13-2010, 03:26 AM
I wasn't sure what to vote for, so I tentatively choose "other".

I try so hard to not fuck up with the people I care for that it's often very hard for them to convince me that I have. Takes years sometimes; and I can get very defesive as my gut reaction is that they simply don't see how very hard I try (what a douche, right?). Invariably, I thank them for being so patient with me, thank them for the epiphany, and attempt to make it up to them.

I'm not sure mistakes can be made with people for whom I feel nothing... I'll have to chew on that one a bit.

Fortis in Arduis
01-13-2010, 04:31 AM
Not dissimilar to the above.

I chose the first three, on the premise that if I KNOW I have fucked up I will do that.

I also chose 'Other' which corresponds to what happens when I cannot admit to, or do not feel that I have fucked up, in which case anything goes.

I mean anything.

Brynhild
01-13-2010, 05:25 AM
My votes were 1,2 and 3. In my youth, there might have been other choices on the poll made, but they don't apply to me any more, as I have learned many of my lessons the hard way. My main fuck ups have been with my mouth, running off with it and not thinking about the person on the receiving end of it. My last couple of fuck ups have been work related, when I've been clumsy. I feel much better when I own up about something rather than hide it.

I do my best not to get into these situations, but when I do, I'd rather sort the problem out. I never used alcohol as a release valve.

Ulf
01-13-2010, 05:34 PM
If I really fucked up, the only way my conscience would let me live it down would be to fix it as an apology does nothing for removal of guilt.

Then I'd get trashed and probably make it worse.

Ariets
01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
damn, to many right answers for me :D

pretend like nothing happened
get too drunk to care
make cutesy faces
insist you are right and everyone else is wrong
draw attention to someone else's fuckup
insult anyone who mentions it (you Jew!)
threaten anyone who mentions it