PDA

View Full Version : Syria's Assad pays Easter visit to recaptured Christian town

Kemalisté
04-20-2014, 07:26 PM
http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20140420&t=2&i=890344426&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=700&pl=378&r=CBREA3J16XY00

(Reuters) - Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Sunday visited an ancient Christian town recaptured from rebels last week, state media said, as he seeks to persuade minorities that the government is their best protection against hardline Islamists.

Assad's Easter visit to Maaloula - a rare appearance outside central Damascus - also highlighted growing government confidence in recent gains against insurgents around the capital and along the Lebanese border.

Islamist fighters, including some from the al Qaeda-linked Nusra Front, had taken over part of Maaloula in December and held several nuns captive until releasing them in March in a prisoner-exchange deal.

On Monday, government forces retook the town, which is roughly 60 km (40 miles) north of Damascus and has changed hands multiple times, the latest in a series of advances against rebels in the Qalamoun mountains region.

During his visit, Assad inspected Mar Sarkis - a Greek Orthodox monastery dating to the fourth century - and damage caused "at the hands of terrorists," state news agency SANA said, using the government's customary term for the rebels.

The agency said he also visited the Mar Thecla monastery, which also suffered damage during fighting for the town.

Images published by SANA showed Assad, dressed in a beige blazer, waving and examining antiquities as he toured the area with church officials.

A Reuters reporter in Maaloula on a state-organized tour said Syrian soldiers and members of the loyalist National Defense Force militia were stationed throughout the town, where homes and buildings were burned and damaged by the fighting.

"The display of hatred was clear - the houses are totally destroyed, the whole village was destroyed. I can't describe the amount of damage to the village," said Lorain, a Maaloula resident in her 20s who was returning on Sunday after fleeing the fighting several months ago.

Rita, another resident, said she hoped to return to live in the village but that electricity and water were not ready yet.

"Still, we're happy - and we'll be even happier when those who are being held captive are released," she said, referring to residents who are still missing.

THEFT AND DAMAGE

Maaloula's churches and monasteries attracted both Christian and Muslim pilgrims before the conflict. Some of its inhabitants still speak Aramaic, the language of Christ, and the monastery of Mar Thecla has a reputation among believers for miraculous cures.

Syrian Tourism Minister Bishr Yazigi told Reuters that damage and theft to antiquities during the fighting amounted to "billions of Syrian pounds" in losses.

Assad's government has consistently tried to portray itself as the protector of the country's minorities, including the Christians who account for about 10 percent of the population.

Assad is a member of the Alawite minority, an off-shoot of Shi'ite Islam, while the rebels fighting to overthrow him are overwhelmingly Sunni.

Hardline Islamists, many of whom view Alawites as heretics, have been among the most determined rebel fighters trying to overthrow Assad, and have attracted support from opponents of Assad including from Sunni Gulf Arab countries.

Shi'ite power Iran is one of Assad's main backers.

The three-year-old conflict, which started as a peaceful protest movement against four decades of Assad family rule, has killed over 150,000 people and forced millions from their homes.

(Writing by Alexander Dziadosz; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/20/us-syria-crisis-easter-idUSBREA3J09A20140420

Ivan Kramskoï
04-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Our president shit did not even said anything about Easter.
All this confirm my positive views on President Assad.
Keep going on, I hope you will get rid Syria of evil islamic terrorists.

Rojava
04-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Our president shit did not even said anything about Easter.
All this confirm my positive views on President Assad.
Keep going on, I hope you will get rid Syria of evil islamic terrorists.

When you have to choose between two wrongs, choose none. Ever heard of that? Bashar is just as bad as the Islamists. Before the civil war, he brutally discriminated against the Kurds calling them "foreigners". Our language was banned, we were denied citizenship, Kurdish names were illegal, books in Kurdish were also illegal.

I'll tell you what. He's working with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

ISIS haven't attacked the Syrian army in months, now they are only attacking opposition groups such as the FSA and the YPG (ISIS failed epically btw) despite the fact that their territories border each other.

RussiaPrussia
04-20-2014, 08:22 PM
When you have to choose between two wrongs, choose none. Ever heard of that? Bashar is just as bad as the Islamists. Before the civil war, he brutally discriminated against the Kurds calling them "foreigners". Our language was banned, we were denied citizenship, Kurdish names were illegal, books in Kurdish were also illegal.

I'll tell you what. He's working with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

ISIS haven't attacked the Syrian army in months, now they are only attacking opposition groups such as the FSA and the YPG (ISIS failed epically btw) despite the fact that their territories border each other.

assad did just what is common in all middle eastern countries having kurds, but he treated kurds better than turkey and others for sure

Kemalisté
04-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Well; ISIS' only aim is to establish their own rule covering the Northern Syria, which is also inhabited by Kurds that's why they're targeting Kurds. Assad could in no way cooperate with them, that's a conspiracy. I support the YPG against ISIS but Assad is a great leader.

legolasbozo
04-20-2014, 08:49 PM
assad did just what is common in all middle eastern countries having kurds, but he treated kurds better than turkey and others for sure

Yes how russia treated circassians.

Dombra
04-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Hail Assad! :bounce If he wins then the war would end today, if the rebels win the fighting will go on for many years to come

Musso
04-20-2014, 10:01 PM
I approve of Assad. May victory come quick to him.

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20140420&t=2&i=890344426&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=700&pl=378&r=CBREA3J16XY00

Linebacker
04-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Come on guys,this is all for the rating,he is kissing ass to save his own.

And people actually believe he does this from heart.Gods fucking damn.