PDA

View Full Version : Scotland-England tie 'may return'

Beorn
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44442000/jpg/_44442583_gazza_scotland416.jpg

Friendly football matches between Scotland and England could be set to return, a minister has said.

Scotland Secretary Jim Murphy told MPs he had spoken to the Scottish Football Association about a potential comeback.
Mr Murphy also predicted the return of Home Internationals, with the Republic of Ireland replacing England.
However, First Minister Alex Salmond said the focus should be on re-establishing Scotland's qualification for major international tournaments.

He said: "I think it's up to the SFA and national manager to arrange their friendly games.
"I love seeing Scotland-England games. Where I'd like to see them is the latter stages of international competitions.

"I always remember what Jock Stein once said. He argued that one of the problems with Scotland is that we're so focused on the annual Scotland-England match that we lost sight of the importance of the World Cup, the European Championships - we never want to get to that position."
At Scottish Questions in the Commons, Mr Murphy revealed he had spoken to the SFA about the potential resurrection of the friendlies, adding: "Bring it on."

Independent MP Andrew Pelling suggested that the promotion of Scottish culture throughout the UK could be encouraged by having both Celtic and Rangers play in the English leagues.
Mr Murphy said he had to declare an interest as a "part-time follower of one of those teams".

'Cultural exchange'

He said: "That is of course a decision for the football authorities and the football clubs themselves.
"But what I do think would enhance cross-border cultural exchange would be a return of the Scotland versus England friendly football matches.
"The Home Internationals will return shortly, I think, with Ireland replacing England, but I think there's now a commitment for a return of the Scotland v England football matches.
"I've spoken to the SFA about it; there was an agreement to have it in 2008 but Scotland withdrew from that."

However, any attempt to revive regular friendlies would not fit in with the Football Association in England's current strategy, but it is keen on occasional one-off meetings.
"We are aware of the significance of an England-Scotland fixture and the high level of interest it would generate," said a spokesman.
"We tried to arrange one in 2008, but unfortunately it could not take place.
"Our focus around the England team at this time is building towards this summer's World Cup."

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith also recognised the difficulties.
"There has long been a debate on the viability of restoring the historic Auld Enemy fixture against England, but many circumstances have prohibited this, not least available dates on an already congested domestic and international fixture schedule," he said.
"It is my wish that the game can be revived in some form in the near future and, indeed, we came close to reaching agreement with the Football Association in England to organise a friendly match two years ago.
"Nothing has changed in that regard since then, but we are, as always, willing to engage in open dialogue with our English counterparts.
"The Scottish FA has always been receptive to new ideas, culminating in the conception of the Four Nations tournament - incorporating Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland - which is scheduled to commence next year."

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8457381.stm)

Quote of the day.

"Independent MP Andrew Pelling suggested that the promotion of Scottish culture throughout the UK could be encouraged by having both Celtic and Rangers play in the English leagues."

I wouldn't let Celtic or Rangers become some banner for Scottish culture, unless you want to promote Scotland's religious bigotry, anti-Semitism, anti-English racism and violence at the drop of a hat as being something positive.

I'd like to see the revival of the home internationals. I think England suffer in having to play those tarty teams from Eastern Europe or the incredibly low level teams like Lichtenstein. Each game has become a general warm up for the players and some excuse for the manager to exercise his God given ability to make awful tactical substitutions.

What's missing is the three Lions roaring at some under achieving Scottish team or some inefficient Welsh team with thousands of passionate fans egging them on against "they Eeeenglish bastads".

We need English players to experience raw, emotional games with pride at stake instead of playing pass the parcel with some overly effeminate Spaniard who is not interested in playing against England.

Bring back the blood sports. We want blood. We want blood.