PDA

View Full Version : 'Obama Not Welcome': Filipinos Protest Presidential Visit

Loki
04-23-2014, 03:36 PM
'Obama Not Welcome': Filipinos Protest Presidential Visit (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/obama-not-welcome-filipinos-protest-presidential-visit-n87516)

Police armed with truncheons, shields and a fire hose clashed with more than 100 left-wing activists who rallied at the U.S. Embassy in Manila on Wednesday to oppose a visit by President Barack Obama and an expected security pact that would increase the American military presence in the Philippines.

Some of the protesters carried paper U.S. flags with the message: "Obama not welcome."

Obama, who landed in Japan on Wednesday, is due to visit South Korea, Malaysia and the Philippines over the next five days as part of a wider attempt to "rebalance" and "pivot" toward Asia.

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2014_17/394866/pc-140423-manila-02_d1362e3763a61f84acdc80a1ec490077.nbcnews-ux-520-360.jpg

Protesters shout slogans during a rally at the U.S. Embassy in Manila on April 23, 2014 against next week's visit by President Barack Obama.

Prisoner Of Ice
04-23-2014, 03:41 PM
I have never seen this kind of thing before towards a president, I mean not attacks on a personal level from people of another country. It's sad when Nixon is a paragon of dignity and more popular than your president.

zhaoyun
04-23-2014, 04:01 PM
When China gets a few more aircraft carriers and turns the South China Sea into its pond, these same protesters are going to be begging for the US to come back. LOL

Loki
04-23-2014, 04:09 PM
When China gets a few more aircraft carriers and turns the South China Sea into its pond, these same protesters are going to be begging for the US to come back. LOL

lol, probably. I was actually wondering whether these protesters were of the ethnic Chinese minority in the Philippines, but they don't look Chinese to me from that picture.

zhaoyun
04-23-2014, 04:12 PM
lol, probably. I was actually wondering whether these protesters were of the ethnic Chinese minority in the Philippines, but they don't look Chinese to me from that picture.

No way. Overseas Chinese are too busy making money wherever they are to get caught up in bullshit protests. LOL

Grace O'Malley
04-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Poor Barack. I bet he wishes he was back on Moneygall having a Guinness. :) He was loved there. :biggrin:

Loki
04-23-2014, 04:32 PM
This is not about Obama, though. They would have booed any US president. It's about US foreign policy and the presence of the US military (those soldiers probably routinely take advantage of Filipino women).

Linebacker
04-23-2014, 08:57 PM
http://www.secretsofthefed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/barack-obama-deal-with-it-on-the-phone-meme.jpg

robertsmith
04-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Well as per African Americans logic, Filipinos are against Obama only because of his skin-color :P

LightHouse89
04-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Well as per African Americans logic, Filipinos are against Obama only because of his skin-color :P

racist mo-fukkin racist white people.......then they realize they are Asians LOL.

LightHouse89
04-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Obongo from the Congo. :p

clete27
04-24-2014, 08:14 AM
These are left-wing communists. They are an extreme minority in the Philippines. No one takes them seriously. They're the poor people who bitch and complain all the time. Didnt you read the part where it said "100 people" That's a small ass group. Did you miss this article "Filipinos like the US even more than Americans do – Pew Research"
http://www.rappler.com/nation/56085-philippines-usa-pew-research

Data from the Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project show a higher percentage of Filipinos surveyed – 85% to be exact – having a more "favorable" view of the American people

The Pew Research Center's data also brought good news, in time for US President Barack Obama's visit to the Philippines: 84% of Filipinos said they had "confidence" in the US president.

clete27
04-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Maybe they're not Chinese, but they're left-wing communists who are funded by Chinese money. These kinds of people are a small minority in the Philippines. They claim they are for the rights of poor people but they just fuck everything up and bitch all the damn time. Most Filipinos are not on their side

zhaoyun
04-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Maybe they're not Chinese, but they're left-wing communists who are funded by Chinese money. These kinds of people are a small minority in the Philippines. They claim they are for the rights of poor people but they just fuck everything up and bitch all the damn time. Most Filipinos are not on their side

I seriously doubt Chinese people (whether Chinese Filipinos who are mostly business people, nor the Chinese govt who are now only interested in business) are funding left wing fringe groups.

clete27
04-24-2014, 06:47 PM
I seriously doubt Chinese people (whether Chinese Filipinos who are mostly business people, nor the Chinese govt who are now only interested in business) are funding left wing fringe groups.

Search "New People's Army" It's a communist terrorist group in the Philippines. China sends arms and money to them. China is trying to take over the Philippines from the inside and from the western islands of the Philippines. But luckily most Filipinos, even Chinese-Filipinos hate the Chinese. Almost all Filipinos are in favor of the US, and thats why we're bringing back American troops to the Philippines

zhaoyun
04-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Search "New People's Army" It's a communist terrorist group in the Philippines. China sends arms and money to them. China is trying to take over the Philippines from the inside and from the western islands of the Philippines. But luckily most Filipinos, even Chinese-Filipinos hate the Chinese. Almost all Filipinos are in favor of the US, and thats why we're bringing back American troops to the Philippines

Well, I seriously doubt that the PRC is actively supporting these insurgencies, but I'll have to do more research on that.

I do agree that the Filipinos are by far the most Americanized of Asian ethnicities, and that the vast majority are very pro-US.

Manifest Destiny
04-24-2014, 07:00 PM

Yep.

Years ago I read some article about widespread anti-American sentiment in South Korea. Do they not know what things would be like for them had we minded our own business during their civil war?

God knows America isn't perfect, but it's often better than the alternative.

zhaoyun
04-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Yep.

Years ago I read some article about widespread anti-American sentiment in South Korea. Do they not know what things would be like for them had we minded our own business during their civil war?

God knows America isn't perfect, but it's often better than the alternative.

It's also a matter of geopolitical reality.

America is a superpower but it is far away. It has interests in East Asia, but it's involvement and hegemony there will always be limited because of the distance. Because of this, it is a far more enviable and non-threatening presence.

China has historically been the hegemon of the region, it just hasn't been in the last two centuries because of internal chaos. But China won't be going anywhere, that is its region. If China continues developing, it will have a great deal of resources and power within it's control, and it will reassert its complete dominance of the East Asian sphere. China will not be going anywhere, it's been the primary power in the region for the last three millenia and will likely be again very soon.

simple
06-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Well, Amerasians are the one mostly suffered from the US Naval Base.
I am against it, A lot of them don't know their father or even parents because some of them were
adopted by other families. One of my best friend is actually a Filipino Amerasian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxIDfQ3vs2Q

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/74961000/jpg/_74961805_mjswithchildren.jpg

alb0zfinest
06-06-2014, 04:15 PM
They sure didn't mind when the U.S sent millions of dollars for the disaster there recently...................

simple
06-06-2014, 04:24 PM
They sure didn't mind when the U.S sent millions of dollars for the disaster there recently...................

Well in my location there is also naval base which is outside the Philippines in Middle East
and I've seen some of them always taking women or some are womanizer lol they have more than 1 Girlfriend.
But I am sure they have wives in their home country or girlfriend. It's some of the militaries behavior too.

zhaoyun
06-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Military men tend to be womanizers. I've known a lot of them. It's part of the culture and part of keeping up morale being stationed overseas.

simple
06-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Military men tend to be womanizers. I've known a lot of them. It's part of the culture and part of keeping up morale being stationed overseas.

Some women they were like under contract too lol 2 yrs statitioned overseas so the relationship end after 2 yrs too.. and left behind a souvenir and lucky if they take them seriously and offered marriage. There's also Amerasians in Vietnam and South Korea right? but Philippines got the highest population of Amerasians like 50,000 plus.

zhaoyun
06-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Some women they were like under contract too lol 2 yrs statitioned overseas so the relationship end after 2 yrs too.. and left behind a souvenir and lucky if they take them seriously and offered marriage. There's also Amerasians in Vietnam and South Korea right? but Philippines got the highest population of Amerasians like 50,000 plus.

Do you notice a big difference between how the half White Amerasians are treated vs the half Black Amerasians?

simple
06-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Do you notice a big difference between how the half White Amerasians are treated vs the half Black Amerasians?

The black usually get prejudice and discriminated like our native aetas who got dark skinned. sadly.