PDA

View Full Version : When people laugh at you...

Melina
04-24-2014, 06:55 PM
So I have done some research on laughter today. I noticed that some cultures look at laughter as impolite while others not so much.

The reason why I was researching was because I was curious to know why people usually laugh at me. My classmate said that I make good jokes and stuff like that without even trying. That may be true. Today however I felt slightly insulted and kind of uncomfortable.

I went to subway to get my BMT. I sometimes ask for extra things in it. I don't know why I mixed up the word baked with toasted. One of the women serving me said if I wanted bacon. First I said yes then I quickly said no because I thought she said baked. Anyways this led to both women trying to rush me. They started "making fun of me". I guess, kind of. After that I asked for 2 cookies and one of the ladies said:"she is still talking". The woman said that there is a gentlemen right in back of you who needs to be at work in 30 seconds. I kind of felt embarrassed. I laughed it off at the end but I kind of felt like they were annoyed with my presence.

I know some people must have had gone to situations like this. I just want to know, am taking this to seriously?Probably I am. I took it like a good sport.
:confused:

Han Cholo
04-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Yes. I always laugh randomly when I am at the streets. People comment I always look really happy but I'm actually laughing about evil stuff I did or happened.

Minesweeper
04-24-2014, 07:01 PM
I went to a bakery today to buy bread, payed for it and came out without taking the bread(who knows what I was thinking of). Fortunately the girl who worked there was very nice and shouted at my back as I was leaving the bakery. She laughed, I laughed with her. xD

larali
04-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Sometimes I get upset when people laugh at me, if I am feeling generally insecure about myself. Otherwise I don't care and laugh along at myself.

I can be a total ditz.

...In your case it sounds like the women were being kind of rude and I'd be upset too. :/

Incal
04-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Here we laugh at anything and everybody.

Melina
04-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Sometimes I get upset when people laugh at me, if I am feeling generally insecure about myself. Otherwise I don't care and laugh along at myself.

I can be a total ditz.

...In your case it sounds like the women were being kind of rude and I'd be upset too. :/

I felt kind of bad because out of all places it happened at a food place. I had an eating disorder before and still kind of have it. So yeah I take it they were rude. But oh well. They looked like they were in their 40s or something. I take it they aren't very educated working in a food restaurant like that at that age. No big deal I guess, I will just take my business else where. There is another subway close by my college so I guess I will go there instead of the one close to my apartment. :)

Kalimtari
04-24-2014, 07:38 PM
http://www.yourhealth.net.au/UserFiles/Cartoon-Laughter-best-medic%281%29.jpg

Seraph of the End
04-24-2014, 07:59 PM
I think I would react the same way.

Sometimes I feel really uncomfortable when someone is laughing at me, and sometimes I don't care or I laugh together with them. Depends on the situation. I remember last year when I went to school. It was a rainy day, so the floor at the entrance of my school was slippery. When I came in, I slipped and fell. There were only two older guys and my friend there and they all laughed at me. I thought it was funny so I laughed together with them (even more). I wasn't embarrassed at all, even though some people think it was embarrassing.

I only get upset when someone is being rude and he/she thinks it's funny. It doesn't happen often, but it's annoying as hell.

Linebacker
04-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Im not surprised people laugh at you.Especially if you say things you say on here.

Melina
04-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Im not surprised people laugh at you.Especially if you say things you say on here.

In this case I haven't. I don't mind to be laughed at in all honesty. Just that this particular time I think they were just being impolite.

ALSh
04-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Well, people don't lought at me, unless i want myself to provoke a comic situation and then we laught all together :)

Geni
04-24-2014, 08:10 PM
So if a stranger insults you for no reason next time :aufsmaul_2: ...directly on the face.... I have more success with this primitive philosophy ... than with logical and philosophical words, I recommend you also

Leliana
04-25-2014, 11:36 AM
We Germans only laugh when we can shoot someone. Everyone knows that.

http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/4/45/Friendly_Nazi.jpg

And when we don't smile, we think about how we can shoot someone soon.

:P

rhiannon
04-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Usually when somebody is laughing at me, it's because I want them to:thumb001:

I am silly and dorky as hell:laugh:

Grace O'Malley
04-25-2014, 12:04 PM
So I have done some research on laughter today. I noticed that some cultures look at laughter as impolite while others not so much.

The reason why I was researching was because I was curious to know why people usually laugh at me. My classmate said that I make good jokes and stuff like that without even trying. That may be true. Today however I felt slightly insulted and kind of uncomfortable.

I went to subway to get my BMT. I sometimes ask for extra things in it. I don't know why I mixed up the word baked with toasted. One of the women serving me said if I wanted bacon. First I said yes then I quickly said no because I thought she said baked. Anyways this led to both women trying to rush me. They started "making fun of me". I guess, kind of. After that I asked for 2 cookies and one of the ladies said:"she is still talking". The woman said that there is a gentlemen right in back of you who needs to be at work in 30 seconds. I kind of felt embarrassed. I laughed it off at the end but I kind of felt like they were annoyed with my presence.

I know some people must have had gone to situations like this. I just want to know, am taking this to seriously?Probably I am. I took it like a good sport.
:confused:

To me they were having a laugh at your expense or as we say so eloquently in Australia "taking the piss". I think you handled it well though. It is better to just ignore and make light of the situation. :thumbs up

Grace O'Malley
04-25-2014, 12:06 PM
I felt kind of bad because out of all places it happened at a food place. I had an eating disorder before and still kind of have it. So yeah I take it they were rude. But oh well. They looked like they were in their 40s or something. I take it they aren't very educated working in a food restaurant like that at that age. No big deal I guess, I will just take my business else where. There is another subway close by my college so I guess I will go there instead of the one close to my apartment. :)

Yes that is the best thing to do. Take your business elsewhere. Silly Biddies losing customers. :)

Smaland
04-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Yes that is the best thing to do. Take your business elsewhere. Silly Biddies losing customers. :)

Yes. You could also go back to the store and quietly tell them that they had lost your business, and the reason why.

dude
04-25-2014, 01:17 PM
They were being bitches. By eating disorder do you mean anorexia?

The Illyrian Warrior
04-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Happen'd to me, ain't something anyone can escape neither would be natural.

Best advice for these situations: Is laugh back toward those who laugh at you and pass over through y'a rather to justify yourself whether an incident or failed debate. ;)

The Illyrian Warrior
04-25-2014, 01:35 PM
We Germans only laugh when we can shoot someone. Everyone knows that.

http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/4/45/Friendly_Nazi.jpg

And when we don't smile, we think about how we can shoot someone soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6mndRtsS88

Rudel
04-25-2014, 01:44 PM
As I'm not a laughter-inspiring person, it doesn't happen. And if it does, I take it as mockery and might become violent.

I myself seldom laugh, unless I've had more than my fair share of wine and somebody's just told me a particularly amusing anecdote about Jews.