PDA

View Full Version : What does your name mean?

Cail
01-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Stole this thread from biodiversity forum :). Etymology of people's names can turn out pretty funny/interesting.

As for me, my first name literally means "Demetra's" ("chosen of Demetra" or "devoted to Demetra" etc). My last name is geographical in origin, by my ancestors' original family estate. That place's name can be literally translated from Slavic as "what Devil has dug" or "Devil's pit". So it sums up to "Chosen of Demetra from Devil's Pit" :eek:.

Monolith
01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Mine means "Gift of God". Coupled with my last name, it's: Gift of God the Oak Man. :D

Cail
01-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Mine means "Gift of God". Coupled with my last name, it's: Gift of God the Oak Man. :D

Božidar Dubović (or Hrastović :))?

nisse
01-17-2010, 02:37 PM
My name is of Biblical origin and means favour/grace. I'm Favour, daughter of Earthworker, of Emile's kin. :D

Loki
01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
My name is of old Germanic origin and means "brave spear".

njeffers
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
My first name is Nathaniel. It is Hebraic in origin and means "God's gift".
My surname at present is Jeffers, and is of Anglo-Norman origin....meaning "Sons of George"
However, I am changing my last name to my Grandmothers maiden name which is Jaxtheimer and is Deitsch meaning Hat-Maker

Pallantides
01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
My firstname is of Norse origin and means bear warrior and my surname is of German origin.

Jarlsson
01-17-2010, 02:55 PM
The name is old roman/latin origins and means Mars (after the roman god of war). But it could also mean "Dedicated to Mars" or "Hammer". :)

Monolith
01-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Bo˛idar Dubović (or Hrastović :))?
It's too obvious that you're a Slavist. You're close btw. :thumb001:

The name is old roman/latin origins and means Mars (after the roman god of war). But it could also mean "Dedicated to Mars" or "Hammer". :)
Marcus ;)

Gooding
01-17-2010, 03:06 PM
My first name is a Greek word for "masculine", my middle name is Anglo-Saxon for "Bright Fame", my initial surname (my mother's maiden surname) is a form of a Gaelic name that was historically altered twice but still means " son of the World Ruler" and my last name is an Anglo-Saxon one that means " of the tribe of the godly".

Svanhild
01-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Sabine means "woman of the Sabine people", the Italian tribe from which, according to legend, the ancient Romans kidnapped their wives-to-be in order to populate their newly-founded city. French and German form of Sabina.

Äike
01-17-2010, 04:03 PM
My first name originates from old Norse and its meaning is "free man". My last name is an Estonian form of Nicholas.

Daos
01-17-2010, 04:26 PM
My first name means ruler and my family name is derived from the name of my village, which in turn has taken its name from the river nearby which was called Rivulus Saxarum long ago, which means River of the Stones.:sherlock:

So that makes me ruler of the stones?:banghead: That can't be right... Maybe by stone they meant mountain. Yes, that's much better, it suits my grandeur!:p

Liffrea
01-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Kris is the name of a knife traditionally used in much of south-east Asia but primarily in Indonesia and Malaysia. Etymologically it means to stab, wedge or sliver. I have no Malaysian or Indonesian heritage what so ever but my father served in the Malayan campaign in 1958 and that’s where he had the inspiration from.

Arne
01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I´m a rebel in some ways...

Heimmacht
01-17-2010, 04:44 PM
My first name means, God heals, or Divine healer.

Fintorah
01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
"Aaron" is of Hebraic origins and means "mountain of strength".
And I'm not certain I like being named after the first high priest of Israel :(. Not my choice though. My children will get Norse names.

Osweo
01-17-2010, 05:09 PM
My name means that my parents were naive young fools with no concept of etymology, familial tradition or ethnic appropriateness. ;) It's from some old Middle Eastern legend.

My surname means 'midget's son', near enough. :D

Stefan
01-17-2010, 05:45 PM
My first name(also my Username) is just a variant of Stephanos which means "Crown" in Greek according to the internet. :D

My Middle name, also my father's first name, means "to push back man" or something like that. I guess that means that somebody is defending against an enemy.

My surname means "caves" in Castilian/Spanish.

Grey
01-22-2010, 01:25 AM
My first name is French for "Son of the Sky" or something which is apparently a reference to Jove, and my last name is a corrupt Italian translation of the French name Noir ("Black").

My girlfriend's first name is apparently Welsh for "Vigorous" according to the internet and her last means something like "Dwells by the Bridge" in French.

Camilla
01-28-2010, 11:47 PM
My name means a). a girl that was dedicated as a priest to one of the roman Gods - Mercurius(?). b). a virgin:)

Rainraven
01-29-2010, 04:40 AM
My name means crowned with laurel, you should be able to figure out what it is from that! :)

Sigrid
01-29-2010, 04:58 AM
It means "beautiful" in Spanish, but I'm not Spanish, obviously, so ...

Lars
01-29-2010, 06:43 AM
It means "beautiful" in Spanish, but I'm not Spanish, obviously, so ...

...or sufficiently informed.
Sigrid is of Norse origin. It consists of two words, meaning 'victory' and 'beautiful'.

Sigrid
01-29-2010, 08:42 AM
...or sufficiently informed.
Sigrid is of Norse origin. It consists of two words, meaning 'victory' and 'beautiful'.

I meant my birth name. ;) I love the name Sigrid, but it's not my birth name. :)

Rachel
01-29-2010, 11:49 AM
My name which is also my user name means innocent lamb... its hebrew one of the most popular hebrew names around.

d3cimat3d
02-01-2010, 04:51 AM
I don't know, I just like the name...

"Fritigern, or Fritigernus, was a Western Gothic chieftain whose military victories in the Gothic War (376-382) extracted favourable terms for the Goths when peace was made with Gratian in 382."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritigern

Guapo
02-01-2010, 04:55 AM
My name means Wolf in english

Osweo
02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I don't know, I just like the name...

"Fritigern, or Fritigernus, was a Western Gothic chieftain whose military victories in the Gothic War (376-382) extracted favourable terms for the Goths when peace was made with Gratian in 382."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritigern

Hooray! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

This may interest British history-buffs:

Several years ago, I was member of some online group dedicated to matters Arthurian. One girl there, Polish I believe, insisted that the 'Vortigern' of British fame - the man who invited the Germanics to settle here en masse thereby dooming his own people forever - had had a whole other successful career in the East.

I retorted that this was a load of nonsense, given that his name can easily be analysed from a Celtic point of view as Vor Tigern - the Over Lord.

She was adamant however, that a man with near identical name had been recorded as active 'around the Baltic' not too long before. I pressed her on it, and she offered to send me the details, her memory not sufficient to answer the challenge there and then, but I never heard from her again...

Year pass...

Occasionally, the memory of it disturbed me, and I made half-arsed enquiries but the search was fruitless.

Till NOW, totally out of the blue, I am faced with the name of the man she had in mind!

And now AT LAST I can refute the connection as SPURIOUS NONSENSE!!!!!!!! Hoorayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!! CLOSURE!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

THe coincidence is indeed astounding, but the dates and other circumstances speak very much against it.

Gwrtheyrn/Foirtchern/Wyrtgeorn =/= Gothic *Frithugairns ("desiring peace" - doubly inappropriate!)!

.... or does it? :eek:

Sol Invictus
02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Jason, greek version 'Iasios' (Ἰάσων), after the Greek hero who led the Argonauts. It literally means 'healer'.

Óttar
02-01-2010, 08:44 PM
"To descend" or "From the Heights" in Hebrew. 'Tis a river.

Don't cross me. :P

Moustache
02-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Augustus: the illustrious one

Khan: leader

Notice I didn't opt for "Augustus Khagan (khan of khans)" because:

Modesty is the key. Indeed, if there is only one thing I value in myself, it's modesty for sure. I didn't want people to confuse me for someone from the ego-enlargement belt i.e. Italy, Balkans, Anatolia, Caucasus. You know, those Taurid mofos taking the phrase nose in the air (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/with+nose+in+the+air) to a whole new level: to a level protruding significantly from the plane of the face, to end this post on an anthropologically correct note. :)

Tabiti
02-02-2010, 08:21 AM
You know, those Taurid mofos taking the phrase nose in the air to a whole new level: to a level protruding significantly from the plane of the face, to end this post on an anthropologically correct note.
I have convex nose, therefore "nose pointing down the earth";)

Moustache
02-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Origin Story of the Taurid Race

by Gustav U. Shanx

Since first mentions in the depths of carst caves, the habitat which the Dinaric race hails from is reflected by their sordid, somewhat sinister appearance. Their stature tall like the stalagmites surrounding them, the bridge of their nose arched in a manner so as to facilitate the flow of dissolved limestone moving through their crooked path. Speaking of which: a true Dinarid never cries; instead, stoically standing still as the drops make their way downward from the gigantic slide of the nose bridge, whizzing past a good many crude curves marked by evil Dinaric angularity before screeching to a halt at the pointy or fleshy tip of the twisted beak, where they stay suspended for a few seconds before unleshing themselves on the earth below.

A life of solemn stalagmite sniffing and meditation was however not to be granted for the Dinaric prototype, for he suffered an unfortunate accident. Losing his footing on the slippery cave ground, he banged his occiput into the floor with a tremendous *splat*, the sound being indicative of geometrically superfluous brain matter flying in both directions. He stood up to admire his fresh cranial transformation into a planoccipital brachycephalic specimen that one day would proudly take his due place on anthropology plates by noted experts. That, however, was not to be all.

Lo and behold, the sneaky and resourceful Armenoid emerges from the shadows, striking at the opportunity to scoop up some brain matter and sell it to the short Japanese right away. The latter of course gulped it down right away.

If the short Japanese had exercised more self-restraint in his perverse eating habits, the Origin story of the Taurid race would have lasted longer.

Groenewolf
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
My real name means conqueror. From what I have heard my mother insisted that would become my name. But I can no longer ask her why.

Radojica
02-04-2010, 03:57 AM
My first name translated on English means *For the glory* or *Working for the glory* and is of Slavic, Serbian origin, both translations can be applied and my the last name means abandoned or thrown away and its of Romanian origin. I have been told that my name is some kind of holy name in India :eek:. Members of Hare Krishna had told me that :rofl:.. I wonder why :rolleyes2:

Brynhild
02-04-2010, 04:15 AM
My first name is the Cornish form of Guinevere - which is Old Welsh for White Wave or White Phantom. Every second or third person born in the 50s and 60s were given this name. My family name is more obscure but there is a type of grape by that name. :D

Falkata
02-04-2010, 04:23 AM
I think my name has germanic origin, although in other sources i´ve read that it is of old english one, I dont know...
It means "wealthy guard" and it´s also the name of my father and my granpa(his father) and it was also the name of my great-grandfather, his father and so on. I dont know when the stirpe started :p

Loki
02-06-2010, 01:44 PM
I have convex nose, therefore "nose pointing down the earth";)

You're in good company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollund_Man). ;)

Praam˛ius
02-06-2010, 05:28 PM
My real name mean's spear and treasure ;] And is from England.

lI
01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
My first name is probably Curonian, the meaning is related to movement & water.
Last name is Old Prussian but the meaning is somewhat cryptic.

So, Baltic all the way.

Virtuous
01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
It means: fuck you.

Bobby Six Killer
01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't know.

Cail
01-19-2013, 09:56 PM
My first name is probably Curonian, the meaning is related to movement & water.
Last name is Old Prussian but the meaning is somewhat cryptic.

So, Baltic all the way.

Way to necro the thread :D. I almost replied to it before something clicked and i remembered it was me who started it :picard1:.

lI
01-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Way to necro the thread :D

I didn't actually realized this was an ancient thread when I replied. It came up in the search results when I was looking for an argument I had about certain Baltic etymologies.

Gimpicus
01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
My name is Maciej, which mean of the name is `Gift of God`.

Petersburg
01-20-2013, 11:39 AM
My name is Anton. "Worthy of praise; of value. Saint Anthony is the patron sain of poor people."
So, just give your hand to me, if you're poor, and I will help you. :)

Lemon Kush
01-20-2013, 11:43 AM
My name is Dimitar which has Greek origins and means "Earth Mother".

archangel
01-20-2013, 11:47 AM
my name means 'ruler' in Türkish and other Türkic languages

Kazimiera
03-27-2013, 09:47 PM
---> moved to Linguistics