PDA

View Full Version : Should the UK reintroduce national service?

Sol Invictus
01-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Yahoo News
January 17, 2010
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blog/editors_corner/article/56415/

This week’s pitiful sentencing of the ‘deer killer boys’ got me thinking; if young boys are so bored that they are stomping a young deer to death “for a laugh” what can be done to occupy them?

The two 17-year-old boys were found guilty at Poole Youth Court of killing a fawn in Upton Country Park in June. The boys were “egging” each other on, with one swinging the deer by its leg and another karate chopping its head, before they “stomped” it to death, the court heard.

The fawn, which was four to six weeks old, suffered several skull fractures, a severed spine and a fractured right leg. District Judge Roger House said: “The penalty for this offence is such that there cannot be imprisonment in the youth court.”

Beorn
01-18-2010, 12:51 AM
And have our young men go off into the foreign lands to die for something which doesn't even remotely benefit us? To line the pockets of the elite whilst we kill and rape foreign cultures and people?

No thanks. I'm all for the reintroduction of National Service. It would be an absolute benefit to our society, in both instilling a virtue and honour in our younger generations long gone from these shores, and provide a whole generation with viably pertinent careers and trades to ensure prolonged employment which benefits the economy.

If it was introduced and specified that any recruit will not be deployed into an actual warzone, then fine. Yet if it is the reverse and the men will merely be cannon fodder, then I will take my son(s) to Ireland and make them relinquish their British passports (hopefully English by this time) and become citizens of the Republic of Ireland.

Sol Invictus
01-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Yeah I'm all for National Service myself, but for militias like it was here in the 1600s supporting local communities for emergencies and military training suited to the environment in case of invasion. Now a days? No way. National Service today is equal to joining the Internal Revenue Service. Henchmen for the banks.

nisse
01-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Do you think the army can fix people like that?

I would not want psychopaths who would do that to a baby animal training to handle arms :mad:

Ignoring the character of the boys in the article cited in the original post, I do think that military service should be something all citizens are exposed to. May be not going as far as a dedicated course/actually going to the army, but a course in "civil defence" in school.

Murphy
01-18-2010, 04:04 AM
I believe every state should have a National Service program for the training of the people to defend home and country. As I do not believe a nation's military should have any role other than defending that nation's sovereign soil, I would not support such measures in places like the UK or the US until the end of their aggressive and expansionist policies in places like the Middle and Far East.

I honestly think I could have and possibly still could benefit from such a program along with thousands of other youths.

Regards,
The Papist.

SwordoftheVistula
01-18-2010, 04:16 AM
kill and rape foreign cultures and people?

Better than a baby deer, I suppose

Freomæg
01-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I'll echo The Papist. I'd be for national service if it was strictly and permanently limited to home defence, and then only if the government weren't a corrupt group of traitors. I'd welcome a Switzerland-style approach.

Murphy
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I'll echo The Papist. I'd be for national service if it was strictly and permanently limited to home defence, and then only if the government weren't a corrupt group of traitors. I'd welcome a Switzerland-style approach.

I also desire a Swiss-style. Then I can go guard the Pope :D!

Regards,
The Papist.

Liffrea
01-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by John Preston
what can be done to occupy them?

In their specific cases mine clearance…..with no tools.

Wulfhere
01-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Our policy in Sovereign Mercia addresses these issues directly - http://sovereignmercia.angelfire.com/#Youth

In short, all young people will be mobilised for a national defence force which will also take on the role of the police.

SwordoftheVistula
01-19-2010, 04:56 AM
which will also take on the role of the police.

Just so long as it doesn't turn out like Clockwork Orange