PDA

View Full Version : Origin of a name?

Grey
01-20-2010, 07:02 AM
We're trying to figure out the origin of my girlfriend's surname, but different sources give conflicting origins. The name is Kimball, and her family are English/Welsh down that line, but no one knows which one the name is from, and different sources attribute the name to either 'Old English' or 'Celtic' origins. Any experts on this sort of thing have any idea? :confused:

Thanks

hereward
01-23-2010, 04:27 AM
The name has several variants, it can come fom the either a personal name or the place names, which are named after the person carring the name. Its english, with the name recorded as a first name back to the 7th century. Type in kimble, the most common variant(i think) on any of the surname sites. I have the oxford dictionary of English surnames, when possible I will give you its meaning.

Grey
01-28-2010, 03:11 AM
I found out a bit in a genealogy book that said it's from the Old Cymric word "Cynbel" which means War Chief, but there's another that says it's from the Saxon name "Cynebald" which means Royally Bold. I'm not sure which is correct.

Guapo
01-28-2010, 03:19 AM
It is of Celtic origin, and its meaning is "war leader" okay?

Osweo
01-28-2010, 04:45 AM
I have the oxford dictionary of English surnames, when possible I will give you its meaning.

I have the same book, and it gives both options raised here so far; Welsh Cynbel and English Cynebald.

I will say myself that the latter name is of a very common type, and the latter - in all my years of researching matters Celtic - I've never met it. I disagree with the dictionary here. The well known Cunobelinus is referenced, but in the eight century, this would have become Cynvelin. I doubt that -B- would have been heard anywhere by the time that surnames will have coalesced in England. I look at the examples given, and none of them have Welsh forenames, neither are they from the Marches.

I would say that a descendant of Old English Cynebald is a far likelier bet.