PDA

View Full Version : Neanderthal

Daos
01-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Neanderthal was the story of the rise and fall of one of the most successful human species that ever lived. A species that survived for over a quarter of a million years, living through and adapting to the most violent extremes of climate. A species that thrived - until modern man came along.

This revealing two-part drama documentary combined the latest scientific research with a stunning mixture of drama and cutting edge 3D animation to reconstruct the lives of these remarkable early humans. In the second part, the advanced Cro-Magnons arrive and a new Ice Age is dawning.

IsSOcwY79ig
2txr_96Bjao
jNVe1M2Xnuo
9mMhDeSNckU
0GKYsAi8tEQ

7vxCz2LafTE
PCnKhT_0SyI
6GDXjjzK54Y
vA7qKOLXCjM
fwpKN-co8Ls

Lenny
01-22-2010, 01:01 AM
I remember seeing that on television a year or two ago. It is for popular audiences, but not bad overall. The re-enactment scenes are pretty well done.

One of the issues discussed is whether the ascendant CroMagnon interbred with the declining Neanderthal [and accepted the progeny into their genepool] in the waning years of the latter. "Are We [whites] Part Neanderthal?"

They leave it as an open question, or even favor the "No they didn't" hypothesis a bit. But, in fact, they almost certainly did. It is inevitable. The only question is how much.

They also address the old "Why did they go extinct" question. I can't recall what they said about this in full, but they mentioned "physical inferiority in combat due to CroMagnon agility" and the currently-P.C. "global warming made life harder for them". But one thing they didn't mention is the theory I later came upon of Longterm Dysgenics, which makes much more sense. There was a long period of easy living and temperate weather in Europe -- allowing for survival of the nonfittest among Neanderthals. This led to a weakening of Neanderthal quality. The great CroMagnon waves arrived before there was chance for Neanderthal to correct this with an Ice Age. So Neanderthal was at a low ebb of quality when CroMagnon arrived, and so eventually lost in the struggle. It's likely that, earlier, when they were of higher-quality, they easily repulsed migrating Erectus or even proto-Homosapiens from West-Asia. .

CroMagnon itself was at a high ebb in quality at that time, and [I]his descendants [us] have also declined in quality, from agriculture and many other things. But that's another story.