PDA

View Full Version : Working Out at Home

Óttar
05-15-2014, 06:51 AM
I got sick of thinking I couldn't go to the gym because I'm in grad school and the closest gym is half a mile away. Then I realized I could put the gym in my tiny studio. So I bought some dumbbells and then I'm buying a weight bench and some olympic barbells. Time to hit the pig-iron again!

Fear Fiain
05-15-2014, 04:34 PM
I got sick of thinking I couldn't go to the gym because I'm in grad school and the closest gym is half a mile away. Then I realized I could put the gym in my tiny studio. So I bought some dumbbells and then I'm buying a weight bench and some olympic barbells. Time to hit the pig-iron again!

It will save you money, and you can do a lot at home - the hard part is staying motivated.
for me at least, a gym membership is also a psychological trick - you're paying good money for it so you better damn well use it.

chest presses and chest flyers can do a lot for you, you might want to skip the barbell in favour of just a good range of dumbbells, for the time being.

I'm planning on picking up a kettlebell soon, on the advice of an irish friend.
she says that it's better than normal dumbbells because you kill two birds with one stone and get aerobics and weights in at once. I can't argue with her logic.

barbells will have to wait until I move to a larger place.
all in all, good plan man. best of luck.

Óttar
05-15-2014, 09:53 PM
chest presses and chest flyers can do a lot for you, you might want to skip the barbell in favour of just a good range of dumbbells, for the time being.
Indeed. I may just get a bench for back support (I have mild cerebral palsy and mild scoliosis).

I have seen kettlebells, thanks for the tip.

I also found a very simple meal plan. 6 meals ranging from milk and protein powder to oatmeal, mixed vegetables, tomato sauce, and beans. Lean chicken and tuna for meats. It'll help with my acid reflux and it's ~ 2,500 calories.

chestbrah
05-16-2014, 12:09 AM
All you need is a power rack and a barbell with some plates and you can achieve an amazing physique

sibo
05-16-2014, 10:39 AM
I work out at home now that I left my job at the gym. I find it much easier to fit in around my life and have no real set time that I have to exercise. I found many tips and inspirations for exercising at home on http://homegym-exercises.com/overview_musclebuilding_exercises.html. This could be a good exercises source for you too. Good thing I bought a great home gym with tons of weights, olympic bar, trap bar, squat rack, etc! I’d love a Swiss ball, though… and a treadmill.

Linebacker
05-16-2014, 12:01 PM
If this was bodybuilding forums people would negg you to hell.

Half a mile is your excuse not to go to the gym?Bitch.Good luck with getting any kind of physique with your home workouts

http://health.learninginfo.org/images/child.jpg

chestbrah
05-16-2014, 02:51 PM
If this was bodybuilding forums people would negg you to hell.

Half a mile is your excuse not to go to the gym?Bitch.Good luck with getting any kind of physique with your home workouts

http://health.learninginfo.org/images/child.jpg

It depends. If he has a barbell and is able to do the main lifts such as squats deadlifts and bench press, then not much is absolutely necessary to get a great physique. There are certain isolation excercises that can help but the foundation should be those barbell movements.

Linebacker
05-16-2014, 02:53 PM
It depends. If he has a barbell and is able to do the main lifts such as squats deadlifts and bench press, then not much is absolutely necessary to get a great physique. There are certain isolation excercises that can help but the foundation should be those barbell movements.

That would bring some legitimacy IF he actually had some physique.Same goes for you too.If You don't go to the gym,you stay small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOHcEMH2334

chestbrah
05-16-2014, 03:47 PM
That would bring some legitimacy IF he actually had some physique.Same goes for you too.If You don't go to the gym,you stay small.

If a math professor says two plus two equals four, he is right not because he is a
Math professor. If a mentally retarded person says the same thing it does not somehow make the claim false. In this case just because I am not jacked doesn't make my claim useless

Watch_Owl
05-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Half a mile is only a 7 minute walk. Walking to the gym isn't that far.

I started going to the gym yesterday, after I finished working out, I felt better about myself. I'm tired of having petite shoulder and similar build from when I was in my early teens. It takes my 2 and a half hours to finish working out though is it worth investing the time into it.

Óttar
05-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Half a mile is your excuse not to go to the gym?Bitch.Good luck with getting any kind of physique with your home workouts[/IMG]
How about I walk 4 miles a day back and forth to school with osteopenia in my left-leg, stupid asshole. Not to mention I hate getting urticharia in gross clothing after a long workout. Now I'm right next to my shower,

Faklon
05-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Stability ball exercises maybe?(Push-ups...)

Óttar
05-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Stability ball exercises maybe?(Push-ups...)
For what? Push-ups are a matter of course.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
your still searching try this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G09XDQ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for lock jaws
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087T8UOE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the weights

the reviews said the weights paint chip but I haven't had that issue since ad the lock jaws. The weights do come with a chemical like order but it wasn't as bad as bad as I thought it would be. Some never commented on it. I had the paint in black.
I would recommend to get some shorter dumbell handles just in case you don't want the handles bumping each other when doing lighter sets with certain exercises.

I also purchased these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BH283O/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVH50O/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thinking about getting a single barbell rack to put over, that way I can bench in my own room.

Faklon
05-16-2014, 10:22 PM
For what? Push-ups are a matter of course.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Stability+ball+abs

Austo
05-17-2014, 11:37 AM
pull ups and push ups are the easiest to do at home.
and in comparison to gym it is a challange.

Linebacker
05-17-2014, 11:56 AM
How about I walk 4 miles a day back and forth to school with osteopenia in my left-leg, stupid asshole. Not to mention I hate getting urticharia in gross clothing after a long workout. Now I'm right next to my shower,

Drawing-slim
05-17-2014, 12:08 PM
I think going to the gym is better because once you're home feels good to be a lazy bum and chill.
I just started going to the gym after many years. I never like working out to much achieving mass though. It's not good once you stop working out i imagine.

Hithaeglir
05-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Gyms suck..start a sport instead.

Caismeachd
05-17-2014, 12:27 PM
I used to have a home gym. All I really needed was dumbbells, a weightlifting bench and a stationary bike. I was able to build decent muscle mass. I had dumbbells going from 5 lbs to 80lbs.

I had these

http://www.flamanfitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/fit/temp/Weights_Nautilus_ND552_med.jpg

and heavier weights going up to 80lbs.

My back is too wrecked to lift weights any longer but you really only need dumbbells. I prefer working out at home because at a gym you lose your rhythm having to wait on equipment and often spend 2x as long there as you would working from home. I used to goto the gym a lot as well though and took advantage of the heavy squat machines and bench. Truth be told though I preferred my home dumbbell workout. These days I just do callisthenics from home and go for long walks. I may join a gym again just for the sauna and stationary bikes though. (But gym stationary bikes are often annoying as well and don't work as good for interval training as a modest priced home stationary bike).

Ultra
05-17-2014, 12:33 PM
I used to have a home gym. All I really needed was dumbbells, a weightlifting bench and a stationary bike. I was able to build decent muscle mass. I had dumbbells going from 5 lbs to 80lbs.

I had these

http://www.flamanfitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/fit/temp/Weights_Nautilus_ND552_med.jpg

and heavier weights going up to 80lbs.

My back is too wrecked to lift weights any longer but you really only need dumbbells. I prefer working out at home because at a gym you lose your rhythm having to wait on equipment and often spend 2x as long there as you would working from home. I used to goto the gym a lot as well though and took advantage of the heavy squat machines and bench. Truth be told though I preferred my home dumbbell workout. These days I just do callisthenics from home and go for long walks. I may join a gym again just for the sauna and stationary bikes though. (But gym stationary bikes are often annoying as well and don't work as good for interval training as a modest priced home stationary bike).
That's why you use free weights and not machines, never have to (almost) wait for anything!

Caismeachd
05-17-2014, 12:41 PM
People use the free weights as well though. You ask to alternate with them when they are resting but you still end up spending 2 hours in the gym trying to get through your set vs doing it 40 mins at home.

Óttar
05-18-2014, 01:58 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61K-PaaiuzL._SL1500_.jpg
These just came today. I don't know how the postman got them up to my room. :thumb001:

Neanderthal
05-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Well, you could get big at home, but to be honest most people never achieve getting big when they train at home due the lack of discipline. But in theory you could, just watch those inmates in jail. They work out with plastic bags, blankets and whatever they have at hand still some of them look like this:

http://boldanddetermined.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/prison.jpg

Óttar
05-18-2014, 02:21 AM
Well, you could get big at home, but to be honest most people never achieve getting big when they train at home due the lack of discipline. But in theory you could, just watch those inmates in jail. They work out with plastic bags, blankets and whatever they have at hand still some of them look like this:
I wonder how they get to eat the food to get that big. I need discipline for eating. I have a small place, so I'm going to just pile chicken, beans, vegetables and sauce into a crock-pot.

Oneeye
05-18-2014, 02:24 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61K-PaaiuzL._SL1500_.jpg
These just came today. I don't know how the postman got them up to my room. :thumb001:

He must go to the gym. xD

Neanderthal
05-18-2014, 02:26 AM
I wonder how they get to eat the food to get that big. I need discipline for eating. I have a small place, so I'm going to just pile chicken, beans, vegetables and sauce into a crock-pot.

Supposedly you have to eat 5 to 6 meals with a 50-50 split between carbs and protein. Carbs are energy, protein will build your muscle up. You could eat only proteins but you won't build muscle because you will burn them, same as you eat only carbs. 50-50 split and no less of 100 grams of food per serving and no more than 600 grams of food. It's theorized food will only do you good for 3 hours, so eating every 3 hours is the way to go.

It's not me who says this tho, it's my 76 years old trainer that still is a body builder and competes. He just won a first place in some competition some days ago. So I guess the guy knows his shit.

LightHouse89
05-18-2014, 03:39 AM

that's what I did with my basement.

arcticwolf
05-18-2014, 04:00 AM
Dude, get a kettlebell, it's gonna make a man out of you in no time, it's more universal than a dumbell.

If you wanna be strong and look that way do a few goldies, pull-ups, dips, deadlift, squat, snatch, clean.

Test strength, if I you can do one hand pull-ups, and pistols (one legged squats) you are strong enough.

That's all you need, Keep it simple.

Kale
05-18-2014, 04:05 AM
I need to gain some weight...what is the most calorie packed liquid I could possibly consume that doesn't taste like cat food and that isn't olive oil (because let's face it, no gain is made when it slides right through you).

arcticwolf
05-18-2014, 04:06 AM
One more thing train bare foot. Don't ask why just do it.

Neanderthal
05-18-2014, 04:08 AM
I need to gain some weight...what is the most calorie packed liquid I could possibly consume that doesn't taste like cat food and that isn't olive oil (because let's face it, no gain is made when it slides right through you).

Milkshake with some high sugar fruits, like strawberry, mango and banana, with some whey protein.

Kale
05-18-2014, 04:14 AM
Strawberry
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 136 kJ (33 kcal)

Mango
Energy 250 kJ (60 kcal)

Banana
Energy 371 kJ (89 kcal)

What?...I don't touch anything with less than 1000 calories per pound. I eat meat, bread, peanut butter, cheese, jelly, and potato chips.

Neanderthal
05-18-2014, 04:18 AM
Strawberry
Energy 136 kJ (33 kcal)

Mango
Energy 250 kJ (60 kcal)

Banana
Energy 371 kJ (89 kcal)

What?...I don't touch anything with less than 1000 calories per pound. I eat meat, bread, peanut butter, cheese, jelly, and potato chips.

You said liquid. Unless you have a fixation for babies food, I don't think you'll want to liquefy a steak or a hamburger. Besides those calories add up, plus high carb whey and a chocolate bar if you please could do. It also tastes good and not actually like shit.

Kale
05-18-2014, 04:20 AM
Fruits aren't liquid silly. High carb whey, how much is that and where do I get it?

Neanderthal
05-18-2014, 04:22 AM
Fruits aren't liquid silly. High carb whey, how much is that and where do I get it?

They are better known as weight gainers actually

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/protein/gainers

It's cheaper than low carb whey actually. No idea why, could be the process of elaboration.

Óttar
05-18-2014, 04:23 AM
Dude, get a kettlebell, it's gonna make a man out of you in no time, it's more universal than a dumbell.

If you wanna be strong and look that way do a few goldies, pull-ups, dips, deadlift, squat, snatch, clean.
I have a weak left leg due to mild cerebral palsy. I have bad balance because of it, making squats difficult. I haven't lifted in a long time, but back when I was lifting I managed to move off the assistance machine, and squat the bar with some weight on it. Regardless, squats will be a problem. I saw a video that shows how to build up to being able to do pull-ups/chin ups, and I'm thinking of getting a bar for it.

Kale
05-18-2014, 04:25 AM
They are better known as weight gainers actually

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/protein/gainers

It's cheaper than low carb whey actually. No idea why, could be the process of elaboration.

Holy crap...that equates out to a mere 250 calories per dollar. Looks like I'm going to start guzzling olive oil lol (~1000 calories per dollar).

Óttar
05-18-2014, 04:30 AM
Holy crap...that equates out to a mere 250 calories per dollar. Looks like I'm going to start guzzling olive oil lol (~1000 calories per dollar).
Won't you just get fat!??? Talk about a dirty bulk! :eek:

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
05-18-2014, 04:30 AM
He must go to the gym. xD

Those are 105 together. Thats like 52.5 per dumbell with weights. That is not alot if your are doing chest or back.

Óttar
05-18-2014, 04:32 AM
Those are 105 together. Thats like 52.5 per dumbell with weights. That is not alot if your are doing chest or back.
When I was lifting, I benched 135. That was a while ago. Now I don't have much room for a bench and barbell.

Kale
05-18-2014, 04:33 AM
Won't you just get fat!??? Talk about a dirty bulk! :eek:

I get enough protein, but I don't have enough total calories to keep from having to burn that protein, thus rendering it useless.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
05-18-2014, 04:41 AM
When I was lifting, I benched 135. That was a while ago. Now I don't have much room for a bench and barbell.

I feel you but 135 is not alot. I used to bench 225 and even though I lost so much strength and I still bench 145-155. Any higher than that and I will have wrong form. I understand why you got low weights now though. You don't want to spend so much money all at once. Just make sure you eat alot and by protein, drink water and stretch. Do not go for heavy sets, technique is more important. I learned that after a while and especially when I injured my shoulder once. Eat more times a day if you have to but in smaller meals.

Edit: Do chest with dumbells. Its better Isolation on the chest than bench press anyways. Also dumbells save more space anyways. If you don't have room for a bench, you better make some or find bench that some how folds in. Only thing I can tell you about room.

Óttar
05-18-2014, 05:07 AM
Dude, get a kettlebell, it's gonna make a man out of you in no time
Tell me more about this kettlebell.

I feel you but 135 is not alot. I used to bench 225 and even though I lost so much strength and I still bench 145-155. Any higher than that and I will have wrong form.
For me, lifting that bar with the 45 lb weights on each side was a big deal. I have mild cerebral palsy, so after 135 lbs, I needed to put weights on top of my shoes to keep my feet planted, but it was still difficult. Plus, I too have a popping shoulder from lifting sloppily.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
05-18-2014, 05:12 AM
Tell me more about this kettlebell.

For me, lifting that bar with the 45 lb weights on each side was a big deal. I have mild cerebral palsy, so after 135 lbs, I needed to put weights on top of my shoes to keep my feet planted, but it was still difficult. Plus, I too have a popping shoulder from lifting sloppily.
K i understand, had no idea you had other factors to consider. Good luck with your training and hope you do well with it. I wouldn't know how to go about those things for weight lifting. When my shoulder hurt it felt painful but it wasn't popping. Sometimes it felt like it was on the vurge of popping but I don't get that feeling anymore.

Oneeye
05-18-2014, 05:40 AM

It's even less for a "farmer's walk", which likely was how the guy delivered them.

Fear Fiain
05-18-2014, 05:50 AM
Do chest with dumbells. Its better Isolation on the chest than bench press anyways. Also dumbells save more space anyways. If you don't have room for a bench, you better make some or find bench that some how folds in. Only thing I can tell you about room.

True shit. Dumbbells can mimic almost everything you can do with a bar.
except dead-lifts and viking strong man style shit. which is important in giving a total body workout.

arcticwolf
05-21-2014, 11:58 PM
I have a weak left leg due to mild cerebral palsy. I have bad balance because of it, making squats difficult. I haven't lifted in a long time, but back when I was lifting I managed to move off the assistance machine, and squat the bar with some weight on it. Regardless, squats will be a problem. I saw a video that shows how to build up to being able to do pull-ups/chin ups, and I'm thinking of getting a bar for it.

K, then kettlebell would be perfect for you. Get a 35lb one to start with. Don't worry 35 lb don't sound like much but it's plenty for a beginner. Youtube kettlebell exercises, plenty there. Start with swings, cleans, jerks and snatches. Learn technique, and don't be where kettlebell wants to go. That's about it.

chestbrah
05-22-2014, 02:49 AM

http://boldanddetermined.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/prison.jpg

Alot of people in prison take steroids. There is just no way you can get massive with lifting plastic bags. Although I don't doubt there is a primal and psychological factor to getting big in prison.

herry47125110
06-04-2014, 11:23 AM
I do workout at home for 1 hours daily,because i have not time to go for gym

Cleitus
06-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Alot of people in prison take steroids. There is just no way you can get massive with lifting plastic bags. Although I don't doubt there is a primal and psychological factor to getting big in prison.
No, this is possible without steroids :picard1:

Didriksson
06-04-2014, 11:28 AM
You really can't walk 0.5 miles to the gym? Are you really talking about starting to work out?

chestbrah
06-04-2014, 11:53 AM
No, this is possible without steroids :picard1:

I don't know what kind of physique you are talking about but if you are talking about an IFBB pro, then yes it's impossible to look that way without gear. In prison there are no strict diets, counting macros, and I doubt prisoners actually know about periodization, linear training, progressive overload, and proper programming.

Neanderthal
06-04-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't know what kind of physique you are talking about but if you are talking about an IFBB pro, then yes it's impossible to look that way without gear. In prison there are no strict diets, counting macros, and I doubt prisoners actually know about periodization, linear training, progressive overload, and proper programming.

Actually if there's one thing at what prisoners are good for is perfect timing and scheduling everything, since the prison is run in strict schedules. This means perfect 8 hrs+ a day of sleep, eating exactly the same hours a day and working out exactly the same hours. About progressive overload; you make it sound like this is some sort of secret, everyone who lifts knows about this from other lifters or just looking it up in body building literature, tho, I agree there must be very tough limitations to get big in prison, although it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest they even had protein powders and other supplements. They smuggle drug in, after all, so a bit of protein powder shouldn't be that difficult to smuggle.

Ultra
06-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Drink heavy cream bro. It's not the most pleasant thing at first but it certainly does not taste bad and you get used to it rather quickly.

Cleitus
06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
I get enough protein, but I don't have enough total calories to keep from having to burn that protein, thus rendering it useless.
Weight Gainer

Newport
06-04-2014, 03:17 PM
I built a really cheap home gym. It's amazing what a few dumbbells, a squat and bench wrack, outdoor hill running and open water swimming can do :)

chestbrah
06-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Actually if there's one thing at what prisoners are good for is perfect timing and scheduling everything, since the prison is run in strict schedules. This means perfect 8 hrs+ a day of sleep, eating exactly the same hours a day and working out exactly the same hours. About progressive overload; you make it sound like this is some sort of secret, everyone who lifts knows about this from other lifters or just looking it up in body building literature, tho, I agree there must be very tough limitations to get big in prison, although it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest they even had protein powders and other supplements. They smuggle drug in, after all, so a bit of protein powder shouldn't be that difficult to smuggle.

Surprisingly alot of people are unaware of getting stronger/progressive overload because alot of people have this belief that comes from fitness magazines just to feel the pump or feel the burn. So they might think to stay with the same weight and do alot of reps. That method works for steroid users because all they need is bloodflow but natural guys have to focus and getting stronger to get bigger. As far as diets I'm not sure if they are eating enough to be in a calorie surplus but then again there are people who are fat in prison so who knows haha

Óttar
06-05-2014, 03:00 AM
It's summer break. I've been walking to the gym. I shoot hoops twice a week and lift 3x a week. I'm bulking again. I am doing 1/2 GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day). Milk has been utilized as a bulking agent by men since at least WWII. I want to get to 180 lbs (from 155 lbs) and then cut afterwards.

wvwvw
06-06-2014, 11:10 PM
:D

http://media.riemurasia.net/albumit/mmedia/4k/vkm/8qq8/52926/780171333.jpg