PDA

View Full Version : Devolution in the British Isles

Beorn
01-25-2010, 09:18 PM
7ZUWPYjv5bg

A very good and concise British Library display highlighting the factors of each nation within the British state.

The rest of the videos and informational links can be found here (http://www.bl.uk/takinglibertiesinteractive/).

hereward
01-25-2010, 10:47 PM
England is not well represented. Is it considered, yes, considered for destruction, by the ideological, English hating, family hating, Mcmafia that runs our national government, local government, police executive etc...
The vast majority of people I meet on a daily basis want English Independence, never mind what Scotaland wants

December
01-26-2010, 02:09 AM
Wouldn't a kingdom of England alone be easier to administrate? More fair and even stronger?

I've been learning that the most UK'ers of all are the Scots and the Ulster-Scots. Many whine and whine but seem to fear being left out from the glory of the british empire. Inferiority complex?

hereward
01-26-2010, 02:22 AM
England would be economically stronger. With regards to fairness, yes, certainly for the English. Dont really understand the context of the second part, the empire IS dead, both were part of it. The Scots ,RELATIVELY SPEAKING, can be argued to have gained more benefits than the others. My concerns are for England, not Scotland and no animosity is meant. I do personally feel for Wales for some strange reason though.

December
01-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Dont really understand the context of the second part, the empire IS dead, both were part of it.I meant, they seem to fear be left out from the inheritance of the United Kingdom's history. It's a psychological factor. For an instance, around the world, many equate the United Kingdom with England. People simple refer to the UK as England.

If the union ends, there will still be an historical continuation of England, but in the eyes of the world, Scotland will start from scratch. And many Scots have an inferiority complex towards this. It's a socio-psychological issue. For an instance, who knows Bratislava compared to Prague? Scots think they will not be able to "sell" their brand out of the United Kingdom umbrella. They can not overcome the fact that they may be seen as a minor country.

hereward
01-26-2010, 03:01 AM
Scots will become less noticable on the world stage, but if I was a Scotsman it wouldn't bother me. This has been discussed in Scotland. In Ulster it is different, it is a mess, the consequences of independence by England/Scotland on Ulster is not much discussed. I'll say one thing, the Irish Government would not want that problem. Who knows maybe Scotland and Ireland can form a union, spring time for all

Beorn
01-26-2010, 02:25 PM
I meant, they seem to fear be left out from the inheritance of the United Kingdom's history

I think you half answered your query in the next sentence.

For an instance, around the world, many equate the United Kingdom with England. People simple refer to the UK as England.If you ever have the misfortune to meet a Scots person in anti-English mode, you will soon discover that both your eyelids and ears can only take so much abuse and that Scotland has an adequate history and culture with which to define itself rather comfortably alone in the world post-independence.

The one country that will suffer an international identity crisis post-independence will be the English. It isn't to say that Scotland will not have to strike out on new ground, as neither country has been on the world stage for over 300 years now, but Scotland have the advantage of having kept the closeness of clan names around the world, customs and culture and national identity, etc, etc. England has nothing but the sheen of the British Imperial machine as its self identity. The greatest victim of the Union is England. It not only had to accommodate and incorporate other nations and their cultures, but also had to relinquish many of its own customs and culture as British.

What hope have we currently got when fine Englishmen still place that awful Union flag as their country? What do they consider England to be exactly? A region? What respect and honour they have for their ancestors and history.

You can forgive the ignorant foreigner who makes this mistake as what pride and passion do they possibly have for this country, but for an Englishman to do this is disgusting.

Anyway, off topic.

I do personally feel for Wales for some strange reason though.

It's odd isn't it? I have the same feeling. I put it down to Wales having been incorporated and assimilated into England first and for longer than any other nation in the British Isles.

Murphy
01-26-2010, 03:04 PM
I meant, they seem to fear be left out from the inheritance of the United Kingdom's history.

Really? I assure you, most Scots don't brag about the acomplishments of Britain.

It's a psychological factor. For an instance, around the world, many equate the United Kingdom with England. People simple refer to the UK as England.

Yes, and?

If the union ends, there will still be an historical continuation of England, but in the eyes of the world, Scotland will start from scratch. And many Scots have an inferiority complex towards this. It's a socio-psychological issue. For an instance, who knows Bratislava compared to Prague? Scots think they will not be able to "sell" their brand out of the United Kingdom umbrella. They can not overcome the fact that they may be seen as a minor country.

You speak as if you're an authority on the issue, where everything you've said is complete shit. Scotland doesn't sell its self within the umberella of the United Kingdom. Scotland and her people have always sold themselves on their own merits and heritage.

There is no inferiority-complex. There is fear of the unkown, on how Scotland will stand economocally independent. That's about it.

Regards,
The Papist.