PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholism and the Brain

Aurora
05-21-2014, 09:23 PM
My mother is an alcoholic (she drinks bottles and bottles of wine every night) She's been an alcoholic for more than 25 years. I'm noticing some serious brain damage. She has a hard time with memory and understanding. I was doing a little research and thought I'd share.

Enjoy!

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-2/IMAGES/Page127.gif

Areas of the brain that are especially vulnerable to alcoholism–related damage are the cerebral cortex and subcortical areas such as the limbic system (important for feeling and expressing emotions), the thalamus (important for communication within the brain), the hypothalamus (which releases hormones in response to stress and other stimuli and is involved in basic behavioral and physiological functions), and the basal forebrain (the lower area of the front part of the brain, involved in learning and memory) (Oscar–Berman 2000). Another brain structure that has recently been implicated is the cerebellum (Sullivan 2000), situated at the base of the brain, which plays a role in posture and motor coordination and in learning simple tasks.
Alcohol–Related Brain Atrophy. According to one hypothesis, shrinkage (i.e., atrophy) of the cerebral cortex and white matter, as well as possible atrophy of basal forebrain regions, may result from the neurotoxic effects of alcohol (Lishman 1990). Furthermore, thiamine deficiency may result in damage to portions of the hypothalamus (perhaps because blood vessels break in that region). According to this hypothesis, alcoholics who are susceptible to alcohol toxicity2 may develop permanent or transient cognitive deficits associated with brain shrinkage. (2 Some people may have better immunity than others to alcohol’s toxic effects.) Those who are susceptible to thiamine deficiency will develop a mild or transient amnesic disorder, with short–term memory loss as the salient feature. Patients with dual vulnerability, those with a combination of alcohol neurotoxicity and thiamine deficiency, will have widespread damage to large regions of the brain, including structures deep within the brain such as the limbic system. These people will exhibit severe short–term memory loss and collateral cognitive impairments (Oscar–Berman 2000).
Frontal Lobe Vulnerability. Although alcoholics have diffuse damage in the cerebral cortex of both hemispheres of the brain, neuropathological studies performed on the brains of deceased patients as well as findings derived from neuroimaging studies of living brains point to increased susceptibility of frontal brain systems to alcoholism–related damage (Moselhy et al. 2001; Oscar–Berman 2000; Sullivan 2000). The frontal lobes are connected with all other lobes of the brain (i.e., the parietal, temporal, and occipital lobes on both halves of the brain; see figure 1), and they receive and send fibers to numerous subcortical structures. Behavioral neuroscientists have determined that the anterior region of the frontal lobes (i.e., the prefrontal cortex) is important for engaging in ordinary cognitive, emotional, and interpersonal activities. The prefrontal cortex is considered the brain’s executive—that is, it is necessary for planning and regulating behavior, inhibiting the occurrence of unnecessary or unwanted behaviors, and supporting adaptive “executive control” skills such as goal–directed behaviors, good judgment, and problem–solving abilities. Disruptions of the normal inhibitory functions of prefrontal networks often have the interesting effect of releasing previously inhibited behaviors. As a result, a person may behave impulsively and inappropriately, which may contribute to excessive drinking.
There is evidence that the frontal lobes are particularly vulnerable to alcoholism–related damage, and the brain changes in these areas are most prominent as alcoholics age (Oscar–Berman 2000; Pfefferbaum et al. 1997; Sullivan 2000) (see figure 2). Other studies of frontal lobe function in older alcoholics have confirmed reports of a correlation between impaired neuropsychological performance (e.g., executive control skills, as noted above) and decreased blood flow or metabolism (energy use) in the frontal lobes, as seen using neuroimaging techniques (Adams et al. 1998).

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-2/IMAGES/Page128.gif

Figure 2 Brain MRI scans of age–equivalent men with different histories of alcohol use. The image shows clear evidence of brain shrinkage in the alcoholic compared with the control subject. The graph on the right shows that older alcoholics have less cortical tissue than younger alcoholics, and that the prefrontal cortex is especially vulnerable to alcohol’s effects. The location of the temporal, parietal, and occipital regions of the brain can be seen in figure 1.
*Z–score is a mathematical measure that is useful for showing the difference between the recorded value and a “normal” value.
SOURCE: Pfefferbaum et al. 1997.

To read more... http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-2/125-133.htm

Neanderthal
05-21-2014, 09:34 PM
I used to drink heavily while on benzodiazepines. I lost a good percentage of my sight (had to buy myself a pair glasses) and had terrible memory problems. Luckily it was all temporal. I don't need glasses anymore and my memory is neat. I suppose with heavy abuse the damage can be permanent but the effects could reverse a bit if she quit drinking.

Aurora
05-21-2014, 09:51 PM
I used to drink heavily while on benzodiazepines. I lost a good percentage of my sight (had to buy myself a pair glasses) and had terrible memory problems. Luckily it was all temporal. I don't need glasses anymore and my memory is neat. I suppose with heavy abuse the damage can be permanent but the effects could reverse a bit if she quit drinking.

Good thing you quit when you did! I wish she would quit drinking, it's hard to be around her and see her doing this kind of damage to herself. She loves her wine though and is proud of being that way. She is a loser.

Neanderthal
05-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Good thing you quit when you did! I wish she would quit drinking, it's hard to be around her and see her doing this kind of damage to herself. She loves her wine though and is proud of being that way. She is a loser.

I know the feeling of disappointment, and I couldn't really give a fair judgment either to agree with you on calling her like that or not, because I do not know nothing about her life, whereas you do. I would just say, it's quite difficult for a grow up to change habits, but it can be done, you just have to wait until she hits rock bottom and perhaps try an intervention.

I don't have an addictive personality, I only used to drink because I had some problems going on in my life but it's all gone now, so no need to drink heavily anymore. I never drink more than 3 glasses of whiskey or 4 beers and that is approximately once every 2 or 3 months.

Caismeachd
05-23-2014, 02:51 AM
My mom is an alcoholic as well. She works as a bartender to boot. She's one of the reasons why I want to never touch alcohol.

rhiannon
05-23-2014, 04:56 AM
Good thing you quit when you did! I wish she would quit drinking, it's hard to be around her and see her doing this kind of damage to herself. She loves her wine though and is proud of being that way. She is a loser.Something your mom and my mom share once again. My mother cannot go a single day without several glasses of wine. Ever.

My father was a full-blown alkie as well until he was forced to quit under threat of death....by his doctor. He did quit. But he died of brain cancer anyway.

armenianbodyhair
05-23-2014, 04:57 AM
I used to drink heavily while on benzodiazepines.

That's super dangerous.

Is a bottle of wine a night an alcoholic?

rhiannon
05-23-2014, 04:58 AM
That's super dangerous.

a whole bottle?

yes.

Dictator
05-23-2014, 04:58 AM
I don't drink, don't want to, never will. :whoo::whoo::whoo:

rhiannon
05-23-2014, 05:03 AM
I like to drink sometimes....but my tolerance isn't that good so I have to be careful....especially with my family history.

Dictator
05-23-2014, 05:04 AM
I like to drink sometimes....but my tolerance isn't that good so I have to be careful....especially with my family history.
You should do like me.

Breedingvariety
05-23-2014, 07:40 AM
I'd say yes, if every night. And a bottle a night tend to become more than a bottle a night.

Aurora
05-23-2014, 04:20 PM

I just realized that Benzodiazepine is xanax. My mother got hooked on xanax two years ago and it's been since then that she's gotten much worse.

Aurora
05-23-2014, 04:21 PM
I have 0 tolerance to alcohol. I get drunk off one beer. I don't like the feeling of being drunk, so i never drink.

Smaug
05-23-2014, 04:28 PM
I don't drink, only on some occasions, like last St. Patrick's. I am very strong regarding alcohol, I hardly get drunk, and that's where the danger lies.

Breedingvariety
05-23-2014, 04:37 PM
I just realized that Benzodiazepine is xanax. My mother got hooked on xanax two years ago and it's been since then that she's gotten much worse.
Xanax (Alprazolam) is the strongest or one of the strongest benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines are less euphoric than alcohol, although they get you hooked more easily and less noticeably. She should not stop using benzos and alcohol abruptly, if she is continuously on them, it can be life threatening. If she ever wanted to quit, she should taper off them.

morski
05-23-2014, 04:46 PM
My brain's just fine, thank you very much.

herry47125110
06-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Alcohol very bad for health and also for brain memory.