PDA

View Full Version : how much indian are gypsies culturally still

Mortimer
05-23-2014, 05:48 AM
I'm not Indian. I just hate them for being nothing but thieves. And for sending gypsies to Europe.

DO YOU KNOW WHY GYPSIES EXIST TODAY? BECAUSE OF TURK INVASION. Even though gypsies in europe are mainly non-indian. They have little to do with Indian now.

genetically they average a half, phenotypically they are probably diverse depends on the community but with many in eastern and southeastern europe who could well blend in, in india. but culturally? they dont have indian names, how much indian traditions do they have, and beliefs etc. and culture? most indians would argue that gypsies have nothing in common with them, and that culture is the most important, what do you think?

zhaoyun
05-23-2014, 05:52 AM
They are as Indian as Brazilian Mulattoes are Nigerian.

Iroczor
05-23-2014, 05:52 AM
Are there any genetic studies done on romas?

Han Cholo
05-23-2014, 05:54 AM
Not much. But that doesn't mean they're culturally Serbian/Spanish/Hungarian/Slovak or whatever country they live in either. They're different enough from any subcontinent group but also different from the countries they reside in.

zhaoyun
05-23-2014, 05:54 AM
Or rather, they are as Indian as Butlerking, which essentially means they are NOT Indian.

Mortimer
05-23-2014, 06:04 AM
Are there any genetic studies done on romas?

yes
https://forwhattheywereweare.wordpress.com/category/roma-people/

Mortimer
05-23-2014, 06:07 AM
They are as Indian as Brazilian Mulattoes are Nigerian.

they look more indian then mullatos look black though (eventhough genetics says otherwise). but culturally probably they are not much indian but distinct etc.

also there are mixed indians like anglo-indians or even rahul ghandi who are accepted as indian. it is racist to say mixed people are not indians, and double standard, rahul ghandi isnt indian either then. and many gypsies look more indian then him.

rahul ghandi
http://www.dpcc.co.in/picture-gallery/rahul-gandhi/RahulGandhi-04-high-res.jpg

gypsy
http://s30.postimg.org/dzvo2uv81/armutseindwanderer.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
foto upload (http://postimage.org/index.php?lang=german)

Han Cholo
05-23-2014, 06:09 AM
they look more indian then mullatos look black though (eventhough genetics says otherwise). but culturally probably they are not much indian but distinct etc.

also there are mixed indians like anglo-indians or even rahul ghandi who are accepted as indian. it is racist to say mixed people are not indians, and double standard, rahul ghandi isnt indian either then. and many gypsies look more indian then him.

Isn't it because Gypsies also have many admixture from outside India, on their way from Afghanistan, Persia, Iraq, Syria, Turkey?

Mortimer
05-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Isn't it because Gypsies also have many admixture from outside India, on their way from Afghanistan, Persia, Iraq, Syria, Turkey?

what do you try to say? i didnt got your point in response to my post. but i dont know how much admixture they have from those people etc. and if any etc. also i dont trust genetic studies really, i think gypsies are much more indian. and they dont look mideastern to me, they wouldnt pass in mideast

zhaoyun
Bruce,

However, Anglo Indians are a recent admixture and they are a social class IN INDIA. Gypsies have been outside of India for over a millenia so they are quite disconnected from India.

Han Cholo
what do you try to say? i didnt got your point in response to my post. but i dont know how much admixture they have from those people etc. and if any etc. also i dont trust genetic studies really, i think gypsies are much more indian. and they dont look mideastern to me, they wouldnt pass in mideast

They could be 1/3 European, 1/3 Southcentral Asian/Middle East and 1/3 Indian and still look the same way they do.

Mortimer
05-23-2014, 06:18 AM
Bruce,

However, Anglo Indians are a recent admixture and they are a social class IN INDIA. Gypsies have been outside of India for over a millenia so they are quite disconnected from India.

not all live in india, some live abroad, but the constitution accepts them. also there are indians in fiji and in other parts etc. of the world and they sure have some admixture too because they live their since centuries, why wouldnt they but gypsies would etc. makes no sense, and india is acknowledging them

Mortimer
05-23-2014, 06:22 AM
They could be 1/3 European, 1/3 Southcentral Asian/Middle East and 1/3 Indian and still look the same way they do.

thats possible, but there is little knowledge why gypsies left india and which route they took and how they came, as enslaved or as wanderers etc. there are only theories and such. also it makes little sense to me considering other world populations that all gypsies would be such a mix, and why the gypsies would mix so much etc. when they took the route out of india, when siddis are still black after 1.500 years, the african americas are still 80% black and there are still many dominantly amerindian people (native or indo-mestizo etc.) i dont get why gypsies should be such a special case that they arent dominantly anymore what they have been, i understand completely that it is likely that they have some admixture but i guess they would be mostly what they have been id guess them as 70-80% indian and some 20-30% euro/mideast. similar to african americans.

zhaoyun
05-23-2014, 06:32 AM
not all live in india, some live abroad, but the constitution accepts them. also there are indians in fiji and in other parts etc. of the world and they sure have some admixture too because they live their since centuries, why wouldnt they but gypsies would etc. makes no sense, and india is acknowledging them

Its probably a measure of the length of seperation. Fijian Indians have only been gone for about a century or less so, and they are still quite Indian culturally. Same with the others.

Roma have been seperate a long time. But a question I'd have, do you think if half Euro Romas go back to India, that they would be considered upper caste because of their much lighter skin and features?

Han Cholo
05-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Its probably a measure of the length of seperation. Fijian Indians have only been gone for about a century or less so, and they are still quite Indian culturally. Same with the others.

Roma have been seperate a long time. But a question I'd have, do you think if half Euro Romas go back to India, that they would be considered upper caste because of their much lighter skin and features?

I think the Indian caste system is not strictly about that. They would be some sort of out-castes.

Mortimer
05-23-2014, 06:43 AM

whats with indonesian indians http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Indonesians#History
gypsies are also not that long gone, only thousand years, that is not that much to me.
as for caste, i think thats a flawed question. firstly i dont believe that all romas are half euro, i think they are more like african americans or indo-mestizos, im sure about that. also i dont think that roma are light skinned for indian standards, they are dark brown like desiamerican who is a tamil and lower middle caste, not untouchable but also not brahmin etc. also i dont believe in caste divisions, caste system is outlawed in india, and finally the caste system doesnt work like that or random european visitors who are blonde would be the highest caste, but outsiders are seen as outsiders to the caste system, so i guess roma would form a own seperate community outside the caste system. they are not part of the caste system, similar to indian muslims etc. or pakistanis