PDA

View Full Version : Kicking the sugar habit: has anyone here done so?

Aemma
01-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Ok has anyone here ever tried to kick the sugar habit? If so, what did you do, gradual decrease or cold turkey? Did you follow any detox regimen?

Thanks for any tips and info or links you can provide ahead of time!

Cheers!...Aemma :)

SuuT
01-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Ok has anyone here ever tried to kick the sugar habit? If so, what did you do, gradual decrease or cold turkey? Did you follow any detox regimen?

Do you mean like adding granulated sugar to coffee and tea (etc.)?

If so, I haven't sweetened anything with sugar in 20 years: I use Stevia.

I have a "fat tooth" and not a "sweet tooth", though; so it's never been very difficult for me... I'd rather have a double bacon cheesburger for dessert than icecream.

Loki
01-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I just stopped using it. Haven't used sugar for months and lost weight because of the decreased carb intake. Now, I would have an occasional chocolate bar, but still don't use any sugar in coffee, and shun sweet things in general.

All that is needed is a firm decision. Sugar addiction can be overcome, where there is a will. :thumb001: We get enough sugar normally through regular food. There is no need to consume masses of it.

At first, there were some withdrawal symptoms like cravings and headaches. But these go away quickly, I've found. Just stick to your decision. And ... don't start using sweeteners. :rolleyes: They just fool your tastebuds and make you eat more.

The result: my energy is more evenly distributed throughout the day. I don't have sugar rushes followed by lows anymore. And, I get less headaches.

Aemma
01-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Do you mean like adding granulated sugar to coffee and tea (etc.)?

If so, I haven't sweetened anything with sugar in 20 years: I use Stevia.

I have a "fat tooth" and not a "sweet tooth", though; so it's never been very difficult for me... I'd rather have a double bacon cheesburger for dessert than icecream.

Yep I meant granulated sugar and sweet drinks and stuff. I have such a sweet tooth but oh goodness, I think it's wreaking havoc with my system (mood, lethargy, fatigue, blah blah). I grow stevia during the summer and have some drying in my basement right now. And I know I can buy some stevia packets at the health food store. Perhaps I should give it a whirl.

:D A "fat tooth"...better than a fat lip I suppose. ;) But yeah, my weakness, sugar in coffee and tea, chocolate, and cake when there's some in the house. :( And then of course the sugars in wine and beer don't help either if I'm trying to cut all of that stuff out. Blah...

Thanks SuuTie. I'll try my stevia and see what it gives me. :)

Aemma
01-28-2010, 05:16 PM
I just stopped using it. Haven't used sugar for months and lost weight because of the decreased carb intake. Now, I would have an occasional chocolate bar, but still don't use any sugar in coffee, and shun sweet things in general.

All that is needed is a firm decision. Sugar addiction can be overcome, where there is a will. :thumb001: We get enough sugar normally through regular food. There is no need to consume masses of it.

At first, there were some withdrawal symptoms like cravings and headaches. But these go away quickly, I've found. Just stick to your decision. And ... don't start using sweeteners. :rolleyes: They just fool your tastebuds and make you eat more.

The result: my energy is more evenly distributed throughout the day. I don't have sugar rushes followed by lows anymore. And, I get less headaches.

AHA! Exactly my problem!

Ok firm resolve then. Oh dear me! :(

Good to know Loki. Thank you. Keep your fingers crossed for me cuz this madness has got to stop! :)

Rachel
01-28-2010, 05:20 PM
See i am an addict to sugar, i am not a nice person without a can of soda in the
morning. I have kicked the habit multiple times by just not having enough cash to pay for the sodas. But loki is right it is very easy to get past the headaches and other symptoms i just don't feel like doing it.

Daos
01-28-2010, 05:37 PM
I use honey instead of sugar and eat (dried) fruits and nuts instead of sweets.

Rachel
01-28-2010, 06:24 PM

Even if Aemma were to only eat fruits,veggies and other food that did not contain artifical sweeteners she would be better off health wise then eatting food that has large doses of sugar such as coke, candy, cake etc.

I think it's more of a change of diet then just simply removing sugar from ones diet.

P.s I am an American college student who eats a ton of junk so i should'nt talk ha!

Tabiti
01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Just stopped eating sugar. It's simple - when you feel need for something sweet eat some honey or eat a small candy. Tea or milk with one - two teaspoons of honey also helps. It works, I haven't eaten foods containing sugar (instead of 1-2 candies a day, sometimes) for two years.
I know that eating more beans helps eliminating the hunger for sugar, as well as taking Chrome as a supply.

P.S. Stevia and artificial sweeteners do not satisfy your hunger for sugar, since they don't contain any nutritional substances. So, if you're really "in need" try honey, agave, maple syrup, fruits and so on.

Óttar
01-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Artificial sweeteners are dangerous, addictive, potentially cancerous and cause short term memory loss. I just say eat the real thing and enjoy life.

Especially with all these diet crazes. I NEED MORE F*CKING CALORIES NOT LESS!!! I wish someone would come out with a TV Dinner called "Fatshit Dinners: For People Who Don't Give a F*ck."

Next thing you know they'll advertise "Nonfat Orange juice", God help the one who drinks Fat Orange Juice!

Fortis in Arduis
01-28-2010, 08:33 PM
I have stevia, but I also like sucralose/Splenda, which tastes better than sugar IMO.

I have simply banned sugar in my house.

I eat every two hours, and make sure that I have protein with my carbohydrate, with high quality fat - ghee, butter. I do not eat dead animal fats.

I like the juicey fat which comes from the tits of the vegetarian grazing beasts.

SuuT
01-28-2010, 08:39 PM
... I wish someone would come out with a TV Dinner called "Fatshit Dinners: For People Who Don't Give a F*ck."

Dreams do come true, my friend:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0744/yucky.gif

http://saveyoursweat.com/sysblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/swanson-hungry-man-sports-grill-beer-battered-chicken-and-cheese-fries-tv-dinner.png

... with high quality fat - ghee, butter. I do not eat dead animal fats.

^This reminds me, Aemma: You can stabilise the effect of simple sugars by taking a teaspoon of Flax oil when you do eat them.

Osweo
01-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I've not been having sugar in my tea or coffee for years now. I just decided to get used to it without, and now prefer it that way. I can't believe as a kid that I was allowed to put sugar on my cornflakes! I like them plain now, too.

I didn't do this from any conscious dietary or ideological reason, it was just a whim, and more to do with the state of my teeth than the rest of me, but I don't regret it! I don't know if it's any good against the risk of diabetes or whatever, but it surely can't do me any harm. :thumbs

Rainraven
01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
I don't have the problem of adding sugar to foods, more that I just love sugary snacks. Biscuits, cakes, chocolate, candy, yum yum :yumyum: a piece of fruit just doesn't satisfy me in the same way! :(

Good on you for trying Aemma, you're braver than me! :thumb001:

Psychonaut
01-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Same here. I don't care for sweets at all, but I rarely ever buy chips because if I eat one, I'll eat the whole bag. :yumyum:

Germanicus
01-28-2010, 10:11 PM
I stopped using sugar way back in 1981, the reason was this: the contract i was working on was in Wolverhampton, for this journey i took a train. The buffet car was usually half empty for the 6.10 so i sat in it and ate 2 slices of buttered toast and a cup of British rail tea. For those of you that has sampled British rail tea it tastes better without sugar, from that time i do not take sugar in any form, even breakfast cereals. My dentist always remarks what fine teeth i have for my age, i guess leaving sugar out and not eating sweets and drinking diet coke helps.

Tabiti
01-28-2010, 10:18 PM
I almost stopped eating sugar in 7th grade due health problems. Surprisingly, my immune system is much better now and I rarely have the hypoglycemia symptoms, despite the low blood pressure. I don't sweeten my coffee and usually use Stevia for tea.
Sugar is a drug - the more you eat, the more you want. Unfortunately too many people are addicted.

nisse
01-29-2010, 02:11 AM
I don't sweeten my tea (my main drink), which is just a habit that was passed down from my grandmother to my mother and me...I have no idea how my dad can drink his tea with 3 teaspoons of sugar in it :eek:.

I love dessert though and don't feel like any meal is complete without having it, but mostly stuff that's rich in fat and lower (for a dessert ;) :D) in sugar - dark chocolate, puff pastry, tarts, cheesecake bars....

yummy! :D

Some times when I think I'm having too much sweets, I just eat smaller portions of sweets and drink more tea at dessert, eventually I just have cheese with tea :).

Lars
01-29-2010, 02:27 AM
I have more than half of a 1 kg bag of sugar I bought when I moved to this apartment three and a half years ago. My use of sugar has almost exclusively been on my oatmeal and once in a while in my tea as well.
I guess most of the sugar I consume come from yogurt, (honey), candy, bake goods, ice cream, and soda. But I do think my sugar consumption is very low, as yogurt is the only product I buy regularly.
I am a fat, protein, and coffee junkie.

Stefan
01-29-2010, 02:30 AM
My diet consists mostly of some types of sugars. I probably go through about 2 packs of gum a day(not really eating but still), a hot chocolate with French Vanilla in it, ice cream, many fruits, tons of cereal, and a good amount of bakery products like donuts and packaged cakes. I also drink a lot of Lemonade and Iced Tea with Soda as well, and rarely any water. I'm underweight though as I don't eat that much meat other than poultry and we mostly eat seafood for dinner. I hate most fast food though so that could factor into why I'm so underweight. I guess it is unhealthy overall, but I can't help it. :( I hope I grow out of it. But before that I hope I gain some weight in the process, because I'm so scrawny. :embarrassed

Fortis in Arduis
01-29-2010, 02:48 AM
Recipe:

Knowing that I had visitors coming, I made the Indian pudding khir, which involved simmering 150g rice with 1.5l of whole milk and a couple of tablespoons of butter ghee for 1.5 hours and stirring occasionally, until the mixture became smooth.

Then adding a few drops of rosewater, 1/2 a teaspoon of ground cardamom, and 2/3 of a cup of sugar and stir in, bringing the mixture to a simmer again, then setting into individual bowls to chill in the fridge.

(Except, I did not use the sugar I used sucralose.)

What was the difference? There was no palpable difference.

Sugar sucks, and candida albicans and all the other parasites must be starved to death. Sugar must die.

That is all.

nisse
01-29-2010, 03:29 AM
What was the difference?

http://www.feingold.org/Research/graphics/sucrose.gif http://www.feingold.org/Research/graphics/sucralose.gif

Splenda Alters Gut Microflora and Increases Intestinal P-Glycoprotein and Cytochrome P-450 in Male Rats (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800291)

If sucralose can trick the taste receptors, god knows what else it can trick. Thanks but no thanks...I'll stick with the good ol' sugar :)

Sugar sucks, and candida albicans and all the other parasites must be starved to death.
...may be if you are immunocompromised. The rest of us are just fine with some nice gut flora to keep us company :wink :D

Sugar must die.
Nonsense. Sugar is awesome before an exam or when you are all tired out :).

Fortis in Arduis
01-29-2010, 03:44 AM
http://www.feingold.org/Research/graphics/sucrose.gif http://www.feingold.org/Research/graphics/sucralose.gif

If one craves sugar then it might be the effect of some of the nastier gut flora begging for more, and I think that refined sugar certainly should be considered to be a poison.

I will admit that some of what I have read about Splenda worries me, but at the very moment, Stevia is an inadequate sweetener.

Hrimskegg
01-29-2010, 04:04 AM
*slyly eats from his bowl of sugar laden oatmeal...*

Sigrid
01-29-2010, 04:46 AM
I've just found that if you try and give up (hardcore) sugar, you're going to try and seek it even harder, like drugs. If you use any sugar, at least use a pure form, all of this compounded stuff in foods is awful. If you're uncertain of what is for what, stop using f**king junk and eat natural foods. :)

*slyly eats from his bowl of sugar laden oatmeal...*

That's tasty, though. I'd eat it. Screw whatever anyone else thinks. :thumb001:

Daos
01-29-2010, 06:21 AM

Why not simply substitute sugar with honey? That's what our ancestors used. Would you rather eat some nasty man-made chemical?:sick2:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Runny_hunny.jpg/395px-Runny_hunny.jpg

Lars
01-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Why not simply substitute sugar with honey? That's what our ancestors used. Would you rather eat some nasty man-made chemical?

Some people wrongly believe that brown sugar or honey is healthier. Brown sugar has its color from traces of syrup, and contains not any more vitamins and minerals, while honey is also almost pure sugar - only produced naturally by bees. However, honey contains small amounts of vitamins and minerals, but it is so little that it makes no health difference.

Amarantine
01-29-2010, 06:39 AM

I have sweet craving occasionally, not too often, but usually I use the same system as Daos.

My problem is sometimes when I make cakes for kids:P

But, dark chocolate with big % of cacao could be good solution for a start, and artificial sugar. We have here Natreen-but it is not good to use it too much, of course.

I have to agreed with Loki, I had the same experience, it is quite better without too much sweets, but sometimes, why not? Don't tortue yourself with absolut restriction, just say I will decreas it but once I week I could take some. And during the time-you will lose the sweet craving.

Fortis in Arduis
01-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Why not simply substitute sugar with honey? That's what our ancestors used. Would you rather eat some nasty man-made chemical?:sick2:

You give me the honey.

I'll drink the jar.

You can sniff the red rash between my (butt) cheeks, and take a good look at my one on my back. ;)

Amarantine
01-29-2010, 06:59 AM
You give me the honey.

I'll drink the jar.

You can sniff the red rash between my (butt) cheeks, and take a good look at my one on my back. ;)

:eek:
:confused:

Lulletje Rozewater
01-29-2010, 07:02 AM

I did 5 years ago,still struggling a bit but follow a diet

Fortis in Arduis
01-29-2010, 07:27 AM
:eek:
:confused:

This is what happens if I have a sugar binge or drink anything other than say, vodka or gin. :coffee:

Oh, and you do not have to sniff my crotch rash. You could drop by and itch it for me if you like. :)

Aemma, I think that the answer is stevia.

Vulpix
01-29-2010, 07:48 AM

Gradual decrease is the way to go. From someone who used to put bucket loads of sugar in her coffee. Now it's a reasonable quantity.

Having said that, I don't really have much of a sweet tooth; I'm of the I'd-rather-eat-a-cheeseburger school :D.

Daos
01-29-2010, 07:52 AM
You give me the honey.

I'll drink the jar.

I beg your pardon?:fwhat:

Tabiti
01-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Some people wrongly believe that brown sugar or honey is healthier. Brown sugar has its color from traces of syrup, and contains not any more vitamins and minerals, while honey is also almost pure sugar - only produced naturally by bees. However, honey contains small amounts of vitamins and minerals, but it is so little that it makes no health difference.
I agree with brown sugar on 100%. There is no real cane sugar sold in shops today, because the process of making real cane sugar develops many bacterias.
I don't agree with honey. Honey benefits are well known by centuries, BUT (there is one big BUT) has high CI (around 90) and causes allergies, so you shouldn't eat more than 1-2 tablespoons of it a day. The quality of honey sold in shops also sucks, so it's better to buy the product directly from the producer.

Amarantine
01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
I agree with brown sugar on 100%. There is no real cane sugar sold in shops today, because the process of making real cane sugar develops many bacterias.
I don't agree with honey. Honey benefits are well known by centuries, BUT (there is one big BUT) has high CI (around 90) and causes allergies, so you shouldn't eat more than 1-2 tablespoons of it a day. The quality of honey sold in shops also sucks, so it's better to buy the product directly from the producer.

It was like that always, even our ancestors never eat more then that. But the best spoon is wood spoon, even I usually use normal spoon.

SuuT
01-29-2010, 11:58 AM
It is important, I think, to note that our bodies do not and cannot distinguish the difference of the sources of sugar; but, and rather, can only distinguish the type, I.e., simple and complex carbohydrate. Of course, if one is diabetic/hypo/hyperglycemic, or has some other pre-existing condition this becomes a pronounced reality.

Unfortunately, the story is still not so simple if one wieghs things on the risk-v-reward scales; as things like honey - despite the fact that it is a simple sugar very high on the glycemic index - actually has medicinal properties (e.g., the ancients [and some not-so-moderns;)) utilised honey in apple cider vinegar as a tonic). - Locally grown honey (as is the general case with all of our foods) has an unparalleled ability to 'soak-up' it's environment; and when it is ingested, those imuno-factors are bioavailable to our bodies.

About oatmeal: Oatmeal (in itself) burns so slowly in the body and is so low on the glycemic index that the addition of simple sugar - even refined, granulated sugar - to the oatmeal, as a sweetener, has little impact on what type of carbohydrate the body recognises the overall profile of that meal to be.

As with all things in life, it's about balance and wisdom: In no small way, both of these are relative to each and all of us as individuals.

nisse
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM
It was like that always, even our ancestors never eat more then that.
That depends on where you are from. Some places it was customary to drink a cup of honey as breakfast. :eek:

As with all things in life, it's about balance and wisdom: In no small way, both of these are relative to each and all of us as individuals.
Right on! :thumb001:

It's not about what you got, it's how you use it. Most foods are perfectly fine if eaten "properly" and your diet is balanced.

Gooding
01-29-2010, 02:06 PM

I just eat less and walk a little more.Unlike many of the others here, I do have an exceedingly sweet tooth, but I keep the candy (usually Willy Wonka products) to a bare minimum.I do put ten packets of sugar in my tea, which I drink twice a day. In my twenties, I was fine with substitutes like Splenda, but now I find them inedible. As it is, I wish you good luck on your decision to cut out the sugar!

Tabiti
01-29-2010, 02:23 PM
It was like that always, even our ancestors never eat more then that. But the best spoon is wood spoon, even I usually use normal spoon.
If they ate more it wasn't every day. We can't compare ourselves with our ancestors, neither do try to eat like them. Back in time people were much more active physically - working in the field or carrying a sword. Diet was seasonal and completely different due to certain food ability in the region.
I can eat 100 gr of honey if I want (and I do that sometimes), but it's highly unhealthy. Good that few days after that you don't feel any need for sweet things. Sugars daily intake should be quite limited, no matter what kind we use, especially if we don't move much.

BTW, raw honey is probably one of the most delicious foods in the world. You don't need any chocolate bars if once tried this elixir of Gods...

anonymaus
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
I just stopped. Which is what you should do, too.

http://i.imgur.com/tGpfU.jpg

Sigrid
01-29-2010, 03:51 PM
If you use sugar, use it in moderation. At least that's how I feel ...

Fortis in Arduis
01-29-2010, 05:50 PM
I am going to get used to Stevia.

Splenda/Sucralose must go.

Sigrid
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I am going to get used to Stevia.

Splenda/Sucralose must go.

Yes, I think Splenda tastes awful. :sick2:

Svanhild
01-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Sugar sucks, and candida albicans and all the other parasites must be starved to death. Sugar must die.That's irresponsible. Sugar is an important part of balanced nutrition and necessary for body processes. I consume a good deal of processed sugar a week and I don't have health problems or overweight. :wink We use sugar and powdered sugar for coffee, tea, some sauces, pastries and for desserts. Usefulness or harmfulness are matters of quantity. If you drink four liters of water at a stroke you could die. Replacement products are not always better and I consider the tendency of self-flagellation with respect to nutrition worrying. Stevia is exotic, native in the Amambai mountains between Paraguay and Brazil, and exotic products exercise a special appeal to some people because sugar is oh so mainstream and boring. I consider a balanced nutrition the number one way to go and react against forbiddances and preachy bad news who come with a wagging finger.

Tabiti
01-29-2010, 09:21 PM
and exotic products have an special appeal to some people because sugar is oh so mainstream and boring.
Emm, it could be like that with other products, such as eating pineapples instead of apples, but we can't compare Stevia with sugar. Let's say, we are all healthy people who can consume sugar without a problem and finding alternative foods is just another caprice of ours. But there are people who can't consume sugar, honey or even sweet fruits, so here the artificial sweeteners like Aspartame come. Stevia is like a natural alternative, it's have been used for years, so why not to be tried.
BTW, there is a daily dose even for the Stevia, written on the packages.

P.S. I don't get fat from sugar. Weight is not the most important thing on that planet after all.
The moderate use of anything, even poison, can't harm us. The problem is that the border between moderate and overdone is too thin. And don't forget there are enough quantities of sugars to keep the normal functions of organism in almost every food.

Brynhild
01-29-2010, 11:04 PM
The one thing I have noticed about these posts is that the younger folk who consume sugar also have a higher metabolic rate, which is why it's not so noticeable.

I have reached the age when I must undergo a change of attitude with my food intake. I'm not a big eater anyway and I'm inclined to eat a lot less than I used to. However, I would like to shift the excess fat that I'm carrying and increase my metabolic rate. I don't keep biscuits in the house any more and rarely do I ever buy soft drinks - the exception is for a party.

I use organic raw sugar and honey in my coffee and cooking. I refuse to use artificial sweeteners. I take about three pieces of fruit with me to work because my energy tends to dip sometimes and I feel much better after eating a banana, for example. I won't deprive myself of a chocolate bar if I need that type of craving but I find that seems to be on the decrease. I enjoy ice cream and custard but that's also becoming a rare treat.

Everybody needs sugar of some form, but pay attention to what your body tells you because some of you could produce more insulin than others. Every two years I'm tested for diabetes as that's hereditary in my family. So far I'm in the clear. I've hit the perimenopausal stage when I need to do an overhaul. It's not an overnight process for me but at least I'm aware of what's happening.

In saying this, though, I'm a mean dessert cook and my family love it. My daughter and I made profiteroles not so long ago and they were to die for! :D I don't want to give up my treats altogether because my philosophy has always been to enjoy everything in moderation. My degree of moderation is something I need to work on, though.

Fortis in Arduis
01-29-2010, 11:17 PM
That's irresponsible. Sugar is an important part of balanced nutrition and necessary for body processes. I consume a good deal of processed sugar a week and I don't have health problems or overweight. :wink We use sugar and powdered sugar for coffee, tea, some sauces, pastries and for desserts. Usefulness or harmfulness are matters of quantity. If you drink four liters of water at a stroke you could die. Replacement products are not always better and I consider the tendency of self-flagellation with respect to nutrition worrying. Stevia is exotic, native in the Amambai mountains between Paraguay and Brazil, and exotic products exercise a special appeal to some people because sugar is oh so mainstream and boring. I consider a balanced nutrition the number one way to go and react against forbiddances and preachy bad news who come with a wagging finger.

You wasted your time saying all that?

I was being self-referential.

Nice essay. :thumbs up

SuuT
01-30-2010, 02:29 PM
.... Stevia is exotic, native in the Amambai mountains between Paraguay and Brazil, and exotic products exercise a special appeal to some people because sugar is oh so mainstream and boring.

Sugar was exotic to Europe until the 11th Century; and was not affordable for most Europeans until the advent of the 19th (and was arguably still exotic, therefore).

Anyway, Stevia is just much better for the body... Maybe I'll start a Stevia thread...

Amarantine
02-01-2010, 07:05 AM
That depends on where you are from. Some places it was customary to drink a cup of honey as breakfast. :eek:

I suppose you think on medovina? :)It is not usuall honey drink...