PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall fights to be represented at Commonwealth Games

Beorn
01-28-2010, 08:33 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47198000/jpg/_47198120_41175070.jpg

Campaigners are considering legal action to allow Cornwall to be represented independently at the Commonwealth Games.

Kernow Trust, formerly the Cornwall Commonwealth Games Association, had an application refused in 2004.
It is now considering submitting a judicial review against the Commonwealth Games Federation.
Games organisers called it a "frivolous" act and said they would oppose any legal action.

Campaigners are hoping that Cornwall can be represented at the Games in Glasgow in 2014.
They cite a precedent as the summer Olympics of 1908 in which Cornwall competed in rugby.
Campaigner Graham Hart told BBC News: "Cornwall is a duchy, not part of England and we have every right to be there.
"England is no more a part of Cornwall than Cornwall is a part of England.
"England goes with the English counties to the games. We should go as a country."

Michael Hooper, chief executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said: "We have made it very clear that if proceedings start we will resist it.
"This is a frivolous act. I am not trying to undermine Cornish identity, but it is an English county as defined by the British government.
"His argument is with the British government.
"He can contest it in any form he likes."
He added: "If Cornwall becomes independent then an application can be made, but at the moment it is a county."

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/8484609.stm)

Óttar
01-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I wish them the best.

This is a frivolous act. I am not trying to undermine Cornish identity, but it is an English county as defined by the British government.
Technically then Mr Games asshole, shouldn't "Great Britain" go as a single entity?

Osweo
01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
And then they'll press for their peculiar wrestling and hurling to be included as events... and then some African countries will learn these games, dominate them and end up better at them than the Cornish, and rob Cornwall of its distinction in this sphere... ;)

Nah, good luck to em. This sort of thing is great for fostering reflection on ethnic identity all over the Union. :)