PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad or Dexter?

Kazimiera
05-29-2014, 08:44 PM
I have just finished watching the Breaking Bad series and I think it is so much better than Dexter. Dexter was interesting initially but his character became more and more watered down as time went on. By Season 3 I was bored to death. Breaking Bad on the other, got better and better.

What is your opinion?

Danishmend
05-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Breaking Bad, sad that it ended

Breedingvariety
05-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Breaking bad seasons 3 & 4 (especially) were the best. I'd say season 5 was the worst.

Vorpal
breaking dexter

Caismeachd
Dexter turned to crap after season 4. It became a bad soap opera.

Not a Cop
05-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Dexter turned to crap after season 4. It became a bad soap opera.

Agreed, the biggest problem of the series today is that producers are too greedy to stop if series are successful and they prolong them for more and more seasons, and the story gets fucked up, BB had it to some degree, but not much.

michelle
05-29-2014, 09:02 PM
I haven't got past season three of Dexter. I just started Breaking Bad and it's getting better and better. Incidentally, the meat cleaver we have at work has the word Dexter etched across the blade. Nobody noticed but me!

Breedingvariety
05-29-2014, 09:05 PM
At the top- breaking bad - crystal blue persuasion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxY2cFWqtao

Breedingvariety
05-29-2014, 09:20 PM
What were your favorite moments of "Breaking Bad"?

rhiannon
05-29-2014, 09:25 PM
I couldn't even get through the first episode of Dexter. The format sucked. It was too bad because I like Michael C Hall a lot. He was awesome in Six Feet Under.

Breaking Bad was fantastic. I'm watching the whole series again.:thumb001:

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Breaking Bad, sad that it ended

Glad it ended. The fact the series has an ending storyline contributed to its quality. I hate open-ended series where the directors lose the plot eventually.

Dombra
05-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Breaking Bad. It is the greatest show to have aired on television.

rhiannon
05-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Glad it ended. The fact the series has an ending storyline contributed to its quality.It had a great ending to be sure.

StonyArabia
05-29-2014, 09:35 PM
dexter the cartoon is pretty cool or is this a different show? I mostly watch cartoons so this why I probably don't know it.

Breedingvariety
05-29-2014, 09:35 PM
It had a great ending to be sure.
It was predictable.

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 09:39 PM
dexter the cartoon is pretty cool or is this a different show? I mostly watch cartoons so this why I probably don't know it.

Dexter about a serial killer who kills worse criminals than he himself. Some kind of 'garbageman' who takes care of human trash. That's my impression of what I heard. Never watched it.

Kazimiera
05-29-2014, 09:40 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_%28TV_series%29

Vorpal
05-29-2014, 09:47 PM

dexter the tv series is even more dumb than the cartoon, cartoon was fun
dexter looks and acts like a total faggot not a serial killer

Rudel
05-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Dexter is a recurrent idea used for too long. Nip/Tuck had the same problem.

Breaking Bad is actually a good show building over time.

Breaking Bad. It is the greatest show to have aired on television.
Regarding American TV, I still prefer the Wire. But whatev's.

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Dexter Morgan seems like filler to me. Doubt I'll ever watch it.

Kazimiera
05-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Glad it ended. The fact the series has an ending storyline contributed to its quality. I hate open-ended series where the directors lose the plot eventually.

This is exactly what I liked about it. It built up and it had a definite end. There is no way they can revive the show for yet another and another episode. This is what got to me about Dexter. It watered down over time, and he because less and less the serial killer. He went from serial killer to family man, and I didn't like that much. They should have kept old Doakes alive and let him catch Dexter. Instead old Doakes came to an untimely end. :(

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 09:57 PM
This is exactly what I liked about it. It built up and it had a definite end. There is no way they can revive the show for yet another and another episode. This is what got to me about Dexter. It watered down over time, and he because less and less the serial killer. He went from serial killer to family man, and I didn't like that much. They should have kept old Doakes alive and let him catch Dexter. Instead old Doakes came to an untimely end. :(

The anti-hero who leaves you morally confused is where they should kept it, from what I read.

Danishmend
05-29-2014, 10:02 PM

What you say is true, but Walter White was one of the greatest characters that ever appeared on TV, it's a big loss

Look what they've done to him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc

Leliana
05-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Breaking Bad was good but I was shocked when and how Hank Schrader died. :( I liked him a lot, on par with Walter White!

http://37.media.tumblr.com/2593f18e9f733707a59abcc762e09d08/tumblr_mt88mawRJ81sifb4yo1_400.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/bf5c0317b33c9c9e43719c5410adf5fe/tumblr_mreingS9Gs1qdezb9o1_500.png

by the way...

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/only-black-guy-on-breaking-bad-meme.jpg

:D

Ivan Kramskoï
05-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Breaking bad

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Walter White the most human evil fuck (there's a grey zone of course). The least bad criminal was probably Jesse Pinkman, but he was also a dimwit. The good guy 'Hank' died. Interesting series that in that it's not a cliché in that regard.

Kazimiera
05-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Breaking Bad was good but I was shocked when and how Hank Schrader died. :( I liked him a lot, on par with Walter White!

http://37.media.tumblr.com/2593f18e9f733707a59abcc762e09d08/tumblr_mt88mawRJ81sifb4yo1_400.jpg

Poor Hank should never have gone to the toilet when he did.

rhiannon
05-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Walter White the most human evil fuck (there's a grey zone of course). The least bad criminal was probably Jesse Pinkman, but he was also a dimwit. The good guy 'Hank' died. Interesting series that in that it's not a cliché in that regard.

Hank was great. His wife got on my nerves in the worst way, though.

Kazimiera
05-29-2014, 10:13 PM
Hank was great. His wife got on my nerves in the worst way, though.

I didn't like Marie in the beginning, and although I still didn't much like her in the end, she became more sympathetic.

The wife that irritated me the most was Dexter's Rita. I was so glad when she was finally disposed of.

Leliana
05-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Walter White the most human evil fuck (there's grey zone of course).
Was he really evil? I don't see it that way. I couldn't see it. He did some malicious and horrendous deeds and killed people, but he was always brought into such situations. He also wanted to save Hank. He was already giving up to Hank and Gomez when the group around Todd arrived. He plead to the group around Todd to not kill him. Then on the last episode, Walter saved Jesse who had all reason to hill him but he didn't.

Walter White always wanted to save the family and went over the top at one point. But he never killed for pure joy or for the lust of killing. When he came back to Albuquerque he visited his wife in secret to make clear that she gets the rest of the money. He attacked and insulted her badly on the telephone only in order that the police who was listening to the call stops suspecting Skyler for helping him. Walter brought back the baby, too, by giving it to the firefighters.

The only really 'unjust' murder was that of Mike Ehrmannstraut. Bus he was an assassin himself and Walter was hugely enraged at that moment. He regretted it later.

He didn't kill Jane but 'just' didn't help her when her drug overdose led her to start vomiting and choking to death while sleeping. At the end it could have saved Jesse's life as his relationship with Jane was a dangerous one, it would have lead to a career of heavy drug addiction and worse.

Vorpal
05-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Was he really evil? I don't see it that way. I couldn't see it. He did some malicious and horrendous deeds and killed people, but he was always brought into such situations. He also wanted to save Hank. He was already giving up when the group around Todd arived. Then on the last episode, Walter saved Jesse who had all reason to hill him but he didn't.

Walter White always wanted to save the family and went over the top at one point. But he never killed for pure joy or for the lust of killing. When he came back to Albuquerque he visited his wife in secret to make clear that she gets the rest of the money. He attacked and insulted her badly on the telephone only in order that the police who was listening to the call stops suspecting Skyler for helping him. Walter brought back the baby, too, by giving it to the firefighters.

The only really 'unjust' murder was that of Mike Ehrmannstraut. Bus he was a assassin himself and Walter was hugely enraged at that moment. He regretted it later.

YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT

Dombra
05-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Regarding American TV, I still prefer the Wire. But whatev's.

I am currently watching the wire! I but I prefer David Simon´s new series, Treme

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Was he really evil? I don't see it that way. I couldn't see it. He did some malicious and horrendous deeds and killed people, but he was always brought into such situations. He also wanted to save Hank. He was already giving up when the group around Todd arived. Then on the last episode, Walter saved Jesse who had all reason to hill him but he didn't.

Yeah. In the end however, he still did it because he felt alive as a meth cook more so than to sustain his family. I think that's why people still see him as a bad man in the end. After all, his meth still destroyed lives. He was just up against worse people then he was himself. That's what's an antihero is about of course.

Very observant analysis. You are a true fan.

rhiannon
05-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Incidentally, the actor Brian Cranston grew up about five miles away from me:thumb001: His high school was my high school's primary rival.

Prior to Breaking Bad, I had never seen him in anything before. It will be hard to see him in other roles, honestly.

Kazimiera
05-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Was he really evil? I don't see it that way. I couldn't see it. He did some malicious and horrendous deeds and killed people, but he was always brought into such situations. He also wanted to save Hank. He was already giving up to Hank and Gomez when the group around Todd arrived. He plead to the group around Todd to not kill him. Then on the last episode, Walter saved Jesse who had all reason to hill him but he didn't.

The only really 'unjust' murder was that of Mike Ehrmannstraut. Bus he was an assassin himself and Walter was hugely enraged at that moment. He regretted it later.

He didn't kill Jane but 'just' didn't help her when her drug overdose led her to start vomiting and choking to death while sleeping. At the end it could have saved Jesse's life as his relationship with Jane was a dangerous one, it would have lead to a career of heavy drug addiction and worse.

I liked Mike. :)

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 10:23 PM
I liked Mike. :)

Interesting how they showed the human side of a hitman by also portraying him as a caring grandfather.

Ice
05-29-2014, 10:24 PM
best tv show ever
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6EoTqwbHpsskARHno3UJ11JiCifnRT tINjedWJlIYdh0QXbt9

Kazimiera
05-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Interesting how they showed the human side of a hitman by also portraying him as a caring grandfather.

What I enjoyed about the show is that none of the characters were black and white. There was no cut-and-dried "good guy" and "bad guy". Each character was portrayed in such a way that you could see their strengths and weaknesses, their good side and the bad side. Even Gustavo was a person. I also liked old Uncle Hector. He waited long, but he got his revenge. Gave up his life so that he could avenge the deaths of those he loved.

rhiannon
05-29-2014, 10:31 PM
What I enjoyed about the show is that none of the characters were black and white. There was no cut-and-dried "good guy" and "bad guy". Each character was portrayed in such a way that you could see their strengths and weaknesses, their good side and the bad side. Even Gustavo was a person. I also liked old Uncle Hector. He waited long, but he got his revenge. Gave up his life so that he could avenge the deaths of those he loved.
Same goes for Lydia....who always lived in fear something bad would happen to her little daughter.

She sure got hers in the end though.

Breedingvariety
05-29-2014, 10:38 PM

First evil he did was to leave Jane overdose. At his peak he killed ten.

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Same goes for Lydia....who always lived in fear something bad would happen to her little daughter.

She sure got hers in the end though.

She had to go. She was a loose end and already sent hitmen after Walt's family before. Her fear and paranoia was her own undoing. Too bad for her daughter, of course.

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 10:45 PM
First evil he did was to leave Jane overdose. At his peak he killed ten.

Indeed. Walt had one thing going for him. He felt no remorse over his action if he believed it was 'for the greater good'. Jane was a pain in his ass and was also ruining Jesse's life (despite the fact they both loved each other).
He was cold as stone. Not in the beginning of the series though, where he was still hesitant over killing someone and where he still felt sick after he did it (even if it were in self-defense).

Kazimiera
05-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Walter's evolution was interesting to watch. From the fumbling school teacher in the beginning, the cold-hearted killer at the end. Yet he was always loyal to Jesse when it was Jesse who got him into most of the situations that required dealing with.

Breedingvariety
05-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Indeed. Walt had one thing going for him. He felt no remorse over his action if he believed it was 'for the greater good'. Jane was a pain in his ass and was also ruining Jesse's life (despite the fact they both loved each other).
He was cold as stone. Not in the beginning of the series though, where he was still hesitant over killing someone and where he still felt sick after he did it (even if it were in self-defense).
"Breaking Bad" because he did become bad.

rhiannon
05-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Walter's evolution was interesting to watch. From the fumbling school teacher in the beginning, the cold-hearted killer at the end. Yet he was always loyal to Jesse when it was Jesse who got him into most of the situations that required dealing with.
Walter crossed the line with Jesse's girlfriend's son, though. Especially since he was a parent, himself. :sad:

Kazimiera
05-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Walter crossed the line with Jesse's girlfriend's son, though. Especially since he was a parent, himself. :sad:

Definitely. He was so shocked at Gustavo's killing of the little boy, yet poisoned little Brock and even let Todd get away with the killing of the little boy on the motorcycle. That little boy didn't have a clue what he was seeing, yet Todd killed him without blinking an eye. And then the meeting afterwards with Jesse and Mike, they still kept him. The Walter in the beginning of the series would not have allowed that, yet in the end he condoned it.

alb0zfinest
05-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Game of thrones.

Leliana
05-29-2014, 10:59 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oQd4RFDjxOM/Uk1G0xrk_EI/AAAAAAAAD8A/onCOSEH7IsM/s1600/tumblr_maegjc27Al1rbc7pso1_500.jpg

:lmao

Óttar
05-29-2014, 11:10 PM
Breaking Bad, all day every day. Dexter is completely unrealistic. Breaking Bad takes the cake, absolutely.

Leliana
05-29-2014, 11:15 PM
What I enjoyed about the show is that none of the characters were black and white.

These two are an exception from the norm.

http://pagepanelscreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Cousins1.jpg

Uhm, the point is that Walter has always thought of Jesse as some kind of an 'adopted son'. He tried to take care of him all the time and to save him from his impulsive nature. He also saved his life when Jesse tried to kill the two men who killed Combo, one of Jesse's (dumb) clique.

There were two reasons for Walter to attack the group of Todd:

1) Do at least something good at the very end and save Jesse
2) Late revenge/Vengeance for his best friend Hank Schrader

On a second thought, I liked Gale Boetticher even when he only had a rather small role.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130724202014/breakingbad/images/a/ab/Boetticher.jpg

I was really sad when he was shot by Jesse. That man had a good nature, a friendly, sympathetic charisma, there was nothing vile about him. Just the wrong idea, trying to work with the 'bad' guys to make money. He was too naive and good-tempered for that scene.

Beit El
05-29-2014, 11:16 PM
You people are still consuming the electric Jew in 2014?

Cleitus
05-29-2014, 11:18 PM
The electric Jew is their prophet.

Rudel
05-29-2014, 11:23 PM
I am currently watching the wire! I but I prefer David Simon´s new series, Treme
Treme's good, especially if you're into New-Orleans' music. But it kinda goes down over the seasons.

Cristiano viejo
05-29-2014, 11:33 PM
In first place, The Shield :love:
Very far, Dexter. I laughed a lot with Dexter.
Third place for Breaking Bad.

Breedingvariety
05-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Just the wrong idea, trying to work with the 'bad' guys to make money. He was too naive and good-tempered for that scene.
Yes, one should always assume there are scumbags in this world. I am on the side of good. I'm not saint by any means, but I believe in good and evil.

chestbrah
05-29-2014, 11:40 PM
Breaking Bad was way better.Dexter just turned into scooby doo after the fifth season.

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 11:42 PM
I was really sad when he was shot by Jesse. That man had a good nature, a friendly, sympathetic charisma, there was nothing vile about him. Just the wrong idea, trying to work with the 'bad' guys to make money. He was too naive and good-tempered for that scene.

The scene where Hank shows Walt and Walt Jr the following video of the supposed 'Heisenberg' was both confusing and awkwardly funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugY6HNLOCo

Appears he likes NDW, his roots being German. Well Gale had an excentric taste of music, as earlier shown in the sad death scene of his.

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 11:50 PM

You don't follow great series then? You're missing out. Breaking Bad is a great reason to set your principles aside, you wouldn't be disappointed. Also, I torrented Breaking Bad. I hate to wait too long for new episodes, myself not being from an Anglophone country. And if it makes you feel better, Vince Gilligan ain't a Jew (head writer and executive producer of Breaking Bad). ;)

Beit El
05-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Breaking Bad is a great reason to set your principles aside, you wouldn't be disappointed.

If you can set your principles aside then they aren't principles in the first place. That's the point of principles.

Dandelion
05-29-2014, 11:56 PM
If you can set your principles aside then they aren't principles in the first place. That's the point of principles.

Silly principles if you ask me. Perhaps it's some odd misplaced conservatism you're experiencing at your relative young age. No offense of course.
It's because I've also been 18 and I've seen many people living some 'abstinent' lifestyle in regards to entertainment and leisure.

Balmung
05-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Agreed, the biggest problem of the series today is that producers are too greedy to stop if series are successful and they prolong them for more and more seasons, and the story gets fucked up, BB had it to some degree, but not much.

American Tv series weakness. A lot air far past their prime exceeding 7-8 seasons sometimes.

British Tv series weakness, they prolong the shit out of major story arcs and then when they finally reveal all, its totally underwhelming.

Beit El
05-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Silly principles if you ask me.

I do not watch these shows because I do not enjoy the fetishization and glorification of psychological disorders and crimes against society.

Perhaps it's some odd misplaced conservatism you're experiencing at your relative young age. No offense of course.

Why is it odd and misplaced?

It's because I've also been 18 and I've seen many people living some 'abstinent' lifestyle in regards to entertainment and leisure.

I don't really follow you here. What does 'It' and 'because' refer to? You finding my principles silly?

Dandelion
05-30-2014, 12:23 AM
I don't really follow you here. What does 'It' and 'because' refer to? You finding my principles silly?

The reason I wrote the paragraph above. And I rest my case. You're at an age where people think they got everything figured out which translates to some people in a very strict lifestyle. Older people are more observant (generally).
Not saying I know you or you know me. Hence I also wrote 'no offense'. I'll still enjoy the series I like and you refrain from them anyway at the end of the day. At that we can only agree to disagree.

Petry
05-30-2014, 12:29 AM
BB and Lost are the best TV series ever.

Dictator
05-30-2014, 12:31 AM
BB and Lost are the best TV series ever.

"Lost". :laugh:

Leliana
05-30-2014, 12:34 AM
Quite many (main) characters of Breaking Bad where created with a German background by name in the series, btw.

Hank Schrader
Mike Ehrmannstraut
Gale Boetticher
Gretchen&Elliot Schwartz
Dan Wachsberger

Petry
05-30-2014, 12:38 AM
"Lost". :laugh:

Just the Series Finale is crap. But BB, Lost and Six Feet Under are the best I've watched.

Dandelion
05-30-2014, 12:39 AM
I've been told Fargo's a great series. Still about to watch that.

Ultra
05-30-2014, 12:50 AM
Nice spoilers FU.

Just kidding I should've known better.

Leliana
05-30-2014, 12:59 AM
Nice spoilers FU.

Just kidding I should've known better.

http://img.tradeindia.com/fp/1/573/192.jpg

Seriously, sorry I forgot about it. :(

Ultra
05-30-2014, 01:01 AM
http://img.tradeindia.com/fp/1/573/192.jpg

Seriously, sorry I forgot about it. :(
Nothing to be sorry about. Well, maybe. :D

Dandelion
05-30-2014, 01:02 AM
It's great to discuss between people who are on the level, but we could have used spoiler tags. Forgot about that too, as I assumed everyone who was about to read this thread was either uninterested or a fan who has already finished watching every episode.

rhiannon
05-30-2014, 01:10 AM
Just the Series Finale is crap. But BB, Lost and Six Feet Under are the best I've watched.

Hands down, my favorite series of all time. Breaking Bad has cracked the top 5, though:thumb001:

rhiannon
05-30-2014, 01:11 AM
I've been told Fargo's a great series. Still about to watch that.Hubs and I are watching it. It's seriously dark, not to mention twisted as fuck.

Worth checking out!

Breedingvariety
05-30-2014, 07:33 AM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/only-black-guy-on-breaking-bad-meme.jpg

:D
Doesn't he look like Obama?

Breedingvariety
05-30-2014, 07:41 AM
My favorite episodes were three final episodes of season 4 and two final episodes of season 3. Special mention to funniest episode S02E08 "Better Call Saul". Saul was the funniest guy.

Breedingvariety
05-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Also, S03E06 "Sunset" episode was very good.

Serg
08-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Breaking Bad

Manifest Destiny
08-16-2014, 02:33 PM
I like the idea behind Dexter more than Breaking Bad, but Breaking Bad was a far better show.

Manifest Destiny
08-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Hubs and I are watching it. It's seriously dark, not to mention twisted as fuck.

Worth checking out!

Have you watched Black Sails? It's a great show.

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-16-2014, 02:37 PM
I have just finished watching the Breaking Bad series and I think it is so much better than Dexter. Dexter was interesting initially but his character became more and more watered down as time went on. By Season 3 I was bored to death. Breaking Bad on the other, got better and better.

What is your opinion?

Breaking Bad is the greatest show ever made. It has no flaws. I often look for inconsistencies in shows and movies. I saw none. There were no hacky moments, either.

Like many good but not great dramas Dexter started out strong but fizzled out. It's a show that should have lasted only a few seasons but they extended it for too long. The ending of the series was also very lame.

Loki
02-01-2022, 02:37 AM
Breaking Bad is the greatest show ever made. It has no flaws. I often look for inconsistencies in shows and movies. I saw none. There were no hacky moments, either.

Like many good but not great dramas Dexter started out strong but fizzled out. It's a show that should have lasted only a few seasons but they extended it for too long. The ending of the series was also very lame.

I'm watching Breaking Bad on Amazon Prime at the moment. Currently in Season 2. I like it so far, really good.. maybe it will get even better later.

Before this, I watched the two seasons of Jericho...which is so far the best I have seen, other than perhaps Fear the Walking Dead, and some Walking Dead seasons themselves.