05-29-2014, 10:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RVS8cjNN0

Yehiel
05-29-2014, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RVS8cjNN0

I dont understand

Maleficent
05-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Hmm, at the beginning of the video it specifically says "what she thinks of Muslims" but then she goes on to use the word "Arabs" moreso than the word "Muslims" throughout the video. The guy asking the questions and talking to her is identified as Afghan, not Arab. Anyway, this gives the impression that "Arab" and "Muslim" are interchangeable(which is definitely quite understandable considering Islam was born in Arabia) but there's also the important facts that the majority of the Muslim population worldwide is not even from the Arab World and there are plenty of first-language Arab-speakers of Non-Muslim background. There's also the obvious problem exemplified in the video that Israelis have the tendency to use the words "Arab" and "Palestinian" interchangeably(emphasis on using the word "Arab" very commonly and almost never calling them "Palestinian") as if to be more subliminal condescending dialogue to insinuate that Palestinians are Peninsular-Arab invaders to the Holy Land and aren't actually indigenous to the Holy Land.

Anyway, I do really enjoy this particular video series "Ask a Palestinian/Ask an Israeli" and I do think it's great to see discussions about them here on these anthropology forums.

Yehiel
05-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Hmm, at the beginning of the video it specifically says "what she thinks of Muslims" but then she goes on to use the word "Arabs" moreso than the word "Muslims" throughout the video. The guy asking the questions and talking to her is identified as Afghan, not Arab. Anyway, this gives the impression that "Arab" and "Muslim" are interchangeable(which is definitely quite understandable considering Islam was born in Arabia) but there's also the important facts that the majority of the Muslim population worldwide is not even from the Arab World and there are plenty of first-language Arab-speakers of Non-Muslim background. There's also the obvious problem exemplified in the video that Israelis have the tendency to use the words "Arab" and "Palestinian" interchangeably(emphasis on using the word "Arab" very commonly and almost never calling them "Palestinian") as if to be more subliminal condescending dialogue to insinuate that Palestinians are Peninsular-Arab invaders to the Holy Land and aren't actually indigenous to the Holy Land.

Anyway, I do really enjoy this particular video series "Ask a Palestinian/Ask an Israeli" and I do think it's great to see discussions about them here on these anthropology forums.

Well Israel is in the Middle East so i think it is appropriate to use it interchangeably but if talking on a world wide scale no. & They are just referred to as Arabs because thats what they were always called until recently. Palestinians themselves identify as Arab. Palestinian means invader anyway so both words are implying they are invaders.

Maleficent
05-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Well Israel is in the Middle East so i think it is appropriate to use it interchangeably but if talking on a world wide scale no. & They are just referred to as Arabs because thats what they were always called until recently. Palestinians themselves identify as Arab. Palestinian means invader anyway so both words are implying they are invaders.
People talk about Palestinians calling themselves "Southern Syrians" and whatnot before modern times, but I and neither does anyone I know personally have ever heard of this, especially outside the Internet.

Palestine derives from Philistine(which Palestinians most definitely are not, that whole subject is a whole other conversation, anyway). Last time I checked Philistine does NOT mean invader, it's just a name of an ancient Mediterranean-Islander people.

Your tone simply isn't working.

Yehiel
05-29-2014, 11:06 PM
People talk about Palestinians calling themselves "Southern Syrians" and whatnot before modern times, but I and neither does anyone I know personally have ever heard of this, especially outside the Internet.

Palestine derives from Philistine(which Palestinians most definitely are not, that whole subject is a whole other conversation, anyway). Last time I checked Philistine does NOT mean invader, it's just a name of an ancient Mediterranean-Islander people.

Your tone simply isn't working.

Yes it derives from Philistine wich derives from the word Peleshet which means invader.. Thats exactly what the Philistine's were, invaders from the sea

Smaug
05-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Interesting, no matter where you are in the world, girls just will speak fast.

Cleitus
05-29-2014, 11:10 PM
The Jews are the problem.

Yehiel
Interesting, no matter where you are in the world, girls just will speak fast.

What do you mean?

Colonel Frank Grimes

Is this kid for real?

I'm offended by this woman wasting valuable work time chit chatting when she should be working. Her boss doesn't pay her to yap and her co-workers are forced to pick up the slack.

Smaug
05-29-2014, 11:11 PM
What do you mean?

Uh? That she speaks fast.

Yehiel
05-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Is this kid for real?

I'm offended by this woman wasting valuable work time chit chatting when she should be working. Her boss doesn't pay her to yap and her co-workers are forced to pick up the slack.

Yes i am for real

Yehiel
05-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Uh? That she speaks fast.

I thought it was something else (dont know the literary term for it)

Smaug
05-29-2014, 11:13 PM
I thought it was something else (dont know the literary term for it)

No. It'a just a girl being a girl.

Maleficent
05-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Yes it derives from Philistine wich derives from the word Peleshet which means invader.. Thats exactly what the Philistine's were, invaders from the sea

I'm aware that Philistine and Peleshet are the same thing. Peleshet was just the name of that particular group of people's ethnicity. I don't see how a name of an ethnicity can literally translate to "invader" in another language. And even if so, this doesn't mean in any way that Palestinians themselves are "invaders"(and you know it).

Yehiel
05-29-2014, 11:29 PM
I'm aware that Philistine and Peleshet are the same thing. Peleshet was just the name of that particular group of people's ethnicity. I don't see how a name of an ethnicity can literally translate to "invader" in another language. And even if so, this doesn't mean in any way that Palestinians themselves are "invaders"(and you know it).

I know im just saying, that both terms imply they are invaders, because they inherited the name of the Philistines, which where invaders from the sea lol and Arab also implies they aren't native. I know most of them are native im not arguing against that, not to get you confused.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-29-2014, 11:44 PM
I know im just saying, that both terms imply they are invaders, because they inherited the name of the Philistines, which where invaders from the sea lol and Arab also implies they aren't native. I know most of them are native im not arguing against that, not to get you confused.

They didn't call themselves Philistines. That's the name the Hebrews gave them. You know of the Hebrews, right? The people who supposedly invaded and conquered the land of Canaan. Although some argue they were natives of the area who just happened to expand and conquer the rest.

If we are to take the Bible seriously as a historical text we can say Israeli/Hebrew/Jew implies invader.

Yehiel
05-29-2014, 11:51 PM
They didn't call themselves Philistines. That's the name the Hebrews gave them. You know of the Hebrews, right? The people who supposedly invaded and conquered the land of Canaan. Although some argue they were natives of the area who just happened to expand and conquer the rest.

If we are to take the Bible seriously as a historical text we can say Israeli/Hebrew/Jew implies invader.

Im talking about the actual word, it is Egyptian/Hebrew for invader. Because the Philistines were invaders. We are invaders to

Longbowman
05-30-2014, 02:04 PM

I don't think the Bible would have made up an invasion story.

Most people are 'invaders' of course; all Yehiel is saying is that the ethnonym 'Palestinian' derives from a Hebrew root meaning 'invader.' Don't get so aggressive. All names mean something. The Turkish word for Greeks means 'Romans,' one common French slang term for the English means 'the God-damns' (a reference to English swearing and blasphemy); so on and so forth. It is clear Yehiel agrees that the Palestinians are not invaders, he is merely commenting on etymology. There is no need to blow your stack.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-30-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't think the Bible would have made up an invasion story.

Do you also believe Hebrews built the pyramids despite no record of them doing so? The Bible, or I should say the Old Testament to Christians, is the ultimate ethnocentric propaganda book. I know it like the back of my hand from Freshman year in high school. I had to know all the enemy tribes the Hebrews fought. It's one bloody piece of literature.

Most people are 'invaders' of course; all Yehiel is saying is that the ethnonym 'Palestinian' derives from a Hebrew root meaning 'invader.' Don't get so aggressive. All names mean something. The Turkish word for Greeks means 'Romans,' one common French slang term for the English means 'the God-damns' (a reference to English swearing and blasphemy); so on and so forth. It is clear Yehiel agrees that the Palestinians are not invaders, he is merely commenting on etymology. There is no need to blow your stack.

I see no political agenda being used here at all.

Yehiel
05-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Do you also believe Hebrews built the pyramids despite no record of them doing so? The Bible, or I should say the Old Testament to Christians, is the ultimate ethnocentric propaganda book. I know it like the back of my hand from Freshman year in high school. I had to know all the enemy tribes the Hebrews fought. It's one bloody piece of literature.

The Egyptians wrote the about them to not just us. It is common knowledge among Middle Eastern or someone who studies Middle East history that the philistines existed

I see no political agenda being used here at all.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-30-2014, 02:54 PM
The Egyptians wrote the about them to not just us. It is common knowledge among Middle Eastern or someone who studies Middle East history that the philistines existed

I never claimed that a group the Hebrews referred to as Philistines did not exist. These were more likely the "Sea Peoples" who gave Egypt such a hard time and came from what is now modern day Turkey and around. An of course they didn't call themselves the "sea peoples." The Egyptians called them that.

Dandelion
05-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Just a normal apolitical girl, and she's smart enough to say 'she's got to go' when asked very dumb questions.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Just a normal apolitical girl, and she's smart enough to say 'she's got to go' when asked very dumb questions.

She was slacking. If I was the boss watching that scene play out I'd tell her afterwards: "It's not right everyone else has to pick up the pace because you decided it was okay to do an interview during work. Do the interview on your time, not ours. I'm docking you a day's pay and you're not allowed lunch breaks for a week. My will be done."

Dandelion
05-30-2014, 03:19 PM
She was slacking. If I was the boss watching that scene play out I'd tell her afterwards: "It's not right everyone else has to pick up the pace because you decided it was okay to do an interview during work. Do the interview on your time, not ours. I'm docking you a day's pay and you're not allowed lunch breaks for a week. My will be done."

But you're not her boss. But it's one way her actual boss might think. I would take into account how much customers were in there and give her a warning or not based on that. I'd also threaten her to take away lunch break minutes if it was during the busy hour, but I don't think she was slacking at that moment.

Longbowman
05-30-2014, 05:40 PM
I never claimed that a group the Hebrews referred to as Philistines did not exist. These were more likely the "Sea Peoples" who gave Egypt such a hard time and came from what is now modern day Turkey and around. An of course they didn't call themselves the "sea peoples." The Egyptians called them that.

So you understand the concept of an exonym. I'm glad.

I suspect the Hebrews were used as slaves in Egyptian infrastructure, yes. In the same way blacks built the white house.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-30-2014, 06:58 PM
So you understand the concept of an exonym. I'm glad.

I suspect the Hebrews were used as slaves in Egyptian infrastructure, yes. In the same way blacks built the white house.

And the evidence is... an ethnocentric religious text. Let's toss out the fact there is no contemporary source or archaeological evidence and Egyptians weren't shy about discussing conquered foes.

Where is Moses mentioned by the way? "Moses'" story is a rip off of an older Babylonian tale. Let's be big boys and not be naive.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-30-2014, 07:01 PM
But you're not her boss. But it's one way her actual boss might think. I would take into account how much customers were in there and give her a warning or not based on that. I'd also threaten her to take away lunch break minutes if it was during the busy hour, but I don't think she was slacking at that moment.

I'm going to have to let you go. Please come by next week to pick up your check.

I was joking people. I don't care what she does at work. I'm not there.

Dandelion
05-30-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm going to have to let you go. Please come by next week to pick up your check.

I was joking people. I don't care what she does at work. I'm not there.

I kinda understood you were joking. Does seem I didn't, but that's because it went on for long.

randomguy1235
05-30-2014, 07:19 PM
She's a settler. Her opinion is irrelevant.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-30-2014, 09:23 PM
She's a settler. Her opinion is irrelevant.

She's kinda hawt, tho. If she was fugly I wouldn't listen.

randomguy1235
05-30-2014, 09:35 PM
She's kinda hawt, tho. If she was fugly I wouldn't listen.

She shouldn't even be there in the first place. She's just another invasive foreigner who's illegally residing on Palestinian territory.

Longbowman
05-30-2014, 09:43 PM
She shouldn't even be there in the first place. She's just another invasive foreigner who's illegally residing on Palestinian territory.

But she's kinda hawt. Weren't you paying attention to CFG?

randomguy1235
05-30-2014, 09:44 PM
But she's kinda hawt. Weren't you paying attention to CFG?

She's kinda cute, but my point stands. If she's that fearful of Palestinians, she should move to Israel instead of living in an illegal settlement.

Longbowman
05-30-2014, 09:45 PM
She's kinda cute, but my point stands. If she's that fearful of Palestinians, she should move to Israel instead of living in an illegal settlement.

To be honest I agree with you mate. She's not my type at all. I can't see why you'd want her in your lands.

Maleficent
06-07-2014, 08:01 AM

Im talking about the actual word, it is Egyptian/Hebrew for invader. Because the Philistines were invaders. We are invaders to
The word Palestine comes from the Greek verb palaio, which means ?to wrestle with someone.? In Scripture it is related to the Jacob wrestling with the angel (see the Greek Septuagint, Genesis 32:24). The name that the angel gave Jacob was Ysrael, meaning "he will wrestling for God" or in other words "he will be God's champion." Therefore, the names Palestine and Israel are interchangeable. The existence and the rights of the indigenous people of the Holy Land can never be denied. May you learn to look past canonized slander and come to see the true face of the sons of Jacob.

Anglojew
06-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Palestinians aren't Arabs. Calling them Arabs because they speak Arabic is like the Amish referring to all non-Amish Americans as "English."

Isleño
06-07-2014, 08:48 AM
The girl in the video is Israeli? She sounds like an American from her accent. My mother is in Israel right now on a Christian mission and has been going to Israel on Christian missions for decades, since I was a small boy and she has given me different accounts. She's told me of Israelis and Arabs getting along. But she's also mentioned that sometimes they don't get along. There is both she told me. But it's kinda like race relations in the U.S.. Sometimes some racial group members get along and sometimes others don't. You live there, what do you think of what my mother said?

Longbowman
06-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Palestinians aren't Arabs. Calling them Arabs because they speak Arabic is like the Amish referring to all non-Amish Americans as "English."

But that's actually the definition of an Arab mate.

Anglojew
06-07-2014, 11:31 AM
But that's actually the definition of an Arab mate.

An Arab is an Arabian or their desendants as opposed to various Arabised and Islamised peoples. It's pretty easy to trace since its all clan based with long oral traditions of descent.

Longbowman
06-07-2014, 11:43 AM
An Arab is an Arabian or their desendants as opposed to various Arabised and Islamised peoples. It's pretty easy to trace since its all clan based with long oral traditions of descent.

Nope. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabs)

Anglojew
06-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Nope. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabs)

The definition is problematic and confused due to pan-Arabist propaganda. I only count Arabians as Arabs.

Yehiel
06-08-2014, 01:35 AM
The word Palestine comes from the Greek verb palaio, which means ?to wrestle with someone.? In Scripture it is related to the Jacob wrestling with the angel (see the Greek Septuagint, Genesis 32:24). The name that the angel gave Jacob was Ysrael, meaning "he will wrestling for God" or in other words "he will be God's champion." Therefore, the names Palestine and Israel are interchangeable. The existence and the rights of the indigenous people of the Holy Land can never be denied. May you learn to look past canonized slander and come to see the true face of the sons of Jacob.

The term Peleset (transliterated from hieroglyphs as P-r-s-t) is found in numerous Egyptian documents referring to a neighboring people or land starting from c.1150 BCE during the Twentieth dynasty of Egypt. The first mention is thought to be in texts of the temple at Medinet Habu which record a people called the Peleset among the Sea Peoples who invaded Egypt in Ramesses III's reign,[1] and subsequently on Padiiset's Statue. The Assyrians called the same region Palashtu or Pilistu, beginning with Adad-nirari III in the Nimrud Slab in c.800 BCE through to emperor Sargon II in his Annals approximately a century later.[2][3][4] Neither the Egyptian nor the Assyrian sources provided clear regional boundaries for the term.[5]

Biblical scholars often trace the Hebrew name Peleshet (פלשת Pəlésheth), from the Semitic root p-l-sh (Hebrew: פלש‎) which means to divide, go through, to roll in, cover or invade,[21] with a possible sense in this name as "migrant" or "invader"[22] is usually transliterated as Palestine in English and equated to Philistia, which is used in the Bible more than 250 times.[23] Other scholars mention a theory "proposed by Jacobsohn and supported by others, is that the name derives from the attested Illyrian locality Palaeste, whose inhabitants would have been called Palaestīnī according to normal grammatical practice"[24] The Greek word Palaistínē (i.e., Παλαιστίνη) is generally accepted to be a translation of the Semitic name for Philistia; however another term – Land of Phylistieim (Γη των Φυλιστιειμ, transliteration from Hebrew) – was used in the Septuagint, the second century BCE Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, to refer to Philistia.[25] In the Torah / Pentateuch the term Philistia is used 10 times and its boundaries are undefined. The later Historical books (see Deuteronomistic history) include most of the biblical references, almost 200 of which are in the Book of Judges and the Books of Samuel, where the term is used to denote the southern coastal region to the west of the ancient Kingdom of Judah.[2][3][14][26]

Longbowman
06-08-2014, 12:44 PM
The definition is problematic and confused due to pan-Arabist propaganda. I only count Arabians as Arabs.

Your definition is simply incorrect though. Being an Arab is like being an Indo-European.

Anglojew
06-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Your definition is simply incorrect though. Being an Arab is like being an Indo-European.

Arab
ˈarəb,ˈeɪrab/
noun
noun: Arab; plural noun: Arabs

a member of a Semitic people, originally from the Arabian peninsula and neighbouring territories, inhabiting much of the Middle East and North Africa.
a horse of a breed originating in Arabia, with a distinctive high-set tail.

adjective
adjective: Arab

relating to Arabian people.

Your definition is incorrect. Palestinians are not a Arabian (although a proportion of their ruling elite clans are and they often have Arabian admixture).

There is a lot of confusion on this issue. Many Westerners accept the Arabian imperialist view that any Islamised/Arabised people speaking Arabic today are somehow "Arabs".

Longbowman
06-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Your definition is incorrect. Palestinians are not a Arabian (although a proportion of their ruling elite clans are and they often have Arabian admixture).

There is a lot of confusion on this issue. Many Westerners accept the Arabian imperialist view that any Islamised/Arabised people speaking Arabic today are somehow "Arabs".

No, you're just racist and idiotic. By the way, an* Arabian.

Maleficent
06-13-2014, 05:47 PM

The opposite of Indo-European is Afro-Asiatic, though.

I think you mean being Arab/MENA is like being Spanish/Latino(I'm referring to the New World definition).

Longbowman
06-13-2014, 05:48 PM
The opposite of Indo-European is Afro-Asiatic, though.

I think you mean being Arab/MENA is like being Spanish/Latino(I'm referring to the New World definition).

It's not an opposite, it's a parallel.

Maleficent
06-13-2014, 05:52 PM
It's not an opposite, it's a parallel.

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant.